Yes palm muting a very simple move that even a man with no hands could pull off, well im trying to learn to play Smells like teen spirit, bear in mind ive been playing mabye a month and a week, im having a lot of trouble upstrumming a palm mute, i think it may be the way im holding the pick, but everytime i go to upstrum, it either gets caught on a string, or my hand comes up and a note rings out, ive been trying to get this right for two days, i can't figure out what im doing wrong
(i know this is a easy technique and song so please don't flame, im no expert guitarist)

thanks in advance
PRATICEEE!!!!!!!!look up a lesson on youtube or search on here on UG,they have great lessons here for beginners and advanced players.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
try muting with just your fretting hand, rather the strumming hand... it's always worked for me, well just that song...
the upstrum mutes can be a little tricky at first, just practice and try to throw mutes into your stuff every now and then
but for smells like teen spirit they are fret mutes not palm mutes anyway i believe lol
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
on smells like they're fret mutes.
and don't worry, alternate picking while palm muting is pretty annoying to me too.
Quote by sick&twisted
try muting with just your fretting hand, rather the strumming hand... it's always worked for me, well just that song...

This. Trying to do that with your pick hand probably can be tricky, but that song, and a lot of faster like pop-punk songs do that.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia