I was just jamming today for about an hour and I came up with some pretty cool riffs and some melodies. My question is I only know the am pentatonic scale and some of the stuff I made up was not part of that scale should I "force"myself and use the scale when I am jamming? That seems a bit harder I simply just let stuff flow out of my hands and that stuff usually sounds better than when I "forced" to use the scale What do you guys do? Let if flow no matter what key, scale, mode, etc. your in or strictly use scales, key, etc.
usually just let it flow till whatever sounds good to you
the scales are there to help your improvising and usually you'll find yourselves doing them subconciously anyway
so no theres no point to "force" yourself to use the scales
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Just let it flow. Scales are good and all, but if you think it sounds better when you don't "force" yourself to use the scale, then don't use the scale.
I just play stuff that sounds good to me, I don't know what key or scale or w/e it's in, as long as it sounds good then who cares?
Quote by Birchall17
I just play stuff that sounds good to me, I don't know what key or scale or w/e it's in, as long as it sounds good then who cares?

Agreed, scales are usually just there to give you the idea of what sounds good with what. but it your song has flow to it then go with that.

You will, however, get more respect if you do play scales, people think you're a "classically trained musician" but that's all ya get
so about how much time you guys actually use scales? compared to whatever comes out? just wondering

That's me haha
unless your gonna go somewhere with music you MUST know that stuff I guess, I play only to enjoy it, just a hobby
Scales aren't laws written in stone, they're guidelines. Play whatever sounds good to your ear. Also, just because you start playing in a particular scale doesn't mean you have to stick stringintly to that scale, a lot of bands switch scales mid song/solo all the time.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Scales aren't laws written in stone, they're guidelines. Play whatever sounds good to your ear. Also, just because you start playing in a particular scale doesn't mean you have to stick stringintly to that scale, a lot of bands switch scales mid song/solo all the time.

+1

You have to start LISTENING to what you're playing - all you're doing at the moment is blindly moving your fingers and occasionally looking for patterns to follow. The whole point of scales is that their pattern of intervals gives a specific sound, you use a scale because you want that sound, if you don't want that sound then don't use the scale.

Learning a scale isn't just learning a fingering pattern - in fact where you put your fingers is the least important aspect of them. You need to learn the notes of the scale, the intervals it contains, the associated chords and above all you need to learn what the scale sounds like. It's got nothing to do with "forcing yourself" to use a scale, certain chord progressions naturally fit certain scales but at the end of the day you either want that sound or you don't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 14, 2008,