Been playing for Years but never really sat to do scales etc.

I've been making more of an effort in the solo dept. lately.

I've been using an audio program to help figure out some solos (ie: slowing them down note for note, etc)

What I wanna know is, when I practice, should I aim for playing in time w/ the song or should I do it slowly 1st & build up speed/accuracy?

Thanks!
It really depends on the kind of music you listen to but most solos are in the E minor pentatonic scale and a good 1st solo would be Knockin on heavens door by Guns n Rose. Well that was my first one and seemed to suit me well. Hope that helped.
speed is an effect from accuracy...what I do is play parts slowly at first until I can get them perfectly without thinking, then speed up from there but never trying to jump ahead too fast. always accuracy first!
Thanks all. I figured the "take it slow" approach was the one.

Oh & Ace F....at the moment, it's a Thin Lizzy solo I wanna learn. The 1st one in "Cowboy Song". Damn, I love that solo!
Quote by Syrinx77

What I wanna know is, when I practice, should I aim for playing in time w/ the song or should I do it slowly 1st & build up speed/accuracy?

Thanks!

Attempting to play in time too soon is a very bad practice idea. At first, until your fingers
know where to go as you learn the notes, don't even try to play in any time. Just
memorize the fingering sequence. Then get the timing very slowly to a metronome.
It actually may take quite a while to get it up to performance speed.

Attempting too soon, will just lead to practicing tension and you'll probably never be
able to play it right.