okay so my friend who drums is considering getting a bass guitar or electro-acoustic guitar. he says he is gonna get one around the £200 price range. no prob there. but he says he wants an effects pedal and knowing him he will go out and try to get the most complex thing he can for his money. and on top of that he is gonna get an amp. and he wont be content with getting a less known brand for starting off. he will go for some big name brand that costs more and isnt necceserily that good.
my main prob with it is. i think that it will all be too much for him to cope with. i mean he can barely play an A chord or much on bass. and he will use an effects pedal all the time and i think it will complicate things for him and he doesnt have the patience to sit around and take time to become good.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Well. Its really his business. But I'd say wait until later to get any effects. Especially on bass. A good bassist never NEEDS effects, although they can pull it off well, while a bad bassist sounds crap with or without them.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
Well. Its really his business. But I'd say wait until later to get any effects. Especially on bass. A good bassist never NEEDS effects, although they can pull it off well, while a bad bassist sounds crap with or without them.

i know its his buisness but he always talks to me about it and asks me stuff. and i give him advice

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
i know its his buisness but he always talks to me about it and asks me stuff. and i give him advice

Tell him to start off with a Roland Micro Cube. Best beginner amp in every way if you ask me. Superb tone (considering its a 2 watt solid state modeling amp), and 4 different effects + a decent little reverb and a crappy delay (meh, beginners dont really need it anyways).

It's only 125 dollars and is EXTREMELY portable (and can be powered by batteries if unplugged). It has all the effects and distortion a beginner needs.
I prefer the Vox DA5 as a starter amp over the cube, bigger speaker, more amp models and better, editable effects. but they're both fantastic little amps

To respond to OP.
If you're friend can afford to spend money on lots of gear and it makes him happy why would you be against it. To me you're coming across sounding like you're a little jelous of your friend.
Quote by Jaksar
I prefer the Vox DA5 as a starter amp over the cube, bigger speaker, more amp models and better, editable effects. but they're both fantastic little amps

To respond to OP.
If you're friend can afford to spend money on lots of gear and it makes him happy why would you be against it. To me you're coming across sounding like you're a little jelous of your friend.

i'm not jealous. i am getting my peavey vypyr 75 in the next week or two.
i am only against it as if he decides that he doesnt want to carry on he will have wasted all that money. the way i see it is when starting a new instrument you shouldnt rush in and buy loads of stuff when you cant even play the instrument. thats why they sell starter packs.

Quote by _bacon_

Last edited by WARLOCK123 at Nov 15, 2008,
No, they sell starter packs because sometimes thats all people can afford.

I would always recommend buying the best gear you can afford be it guitar or any other hobby. Why not? Why use lesser equipment if you can afford something better? Are you not going to more motivated if you have quality gear that you love as opposed to junk that you really don't care for?

Infact you're probably better off getting more expensive, quality, brand name gear if your a beginner and can afford it since if you decide you don't want to continue the re-sale value of your gear will be far far better.

And if you decide to continue on then you're gear is going to last you alot longer before you need to go to the expense of upgrading.
Quote by Jaksar
No, they sell starter packs because sometimes thats all people can afford.

I would always recommend buying the best gear you can afford be it guitar or any other hobby. Why not? Why use lesser equipment if you can afford something better? Are you not going to more motivated if you have quality gear that you love as opposed to junk that you really don't care for?

Infact you're probably better off getting more expensive, quality, brand name gear if your a beginner and can afford it since if you decide you don't want to continue the re-sale value of your gear will be far far better.

And if you decide to continue on then you're gear is going to last you alot longer before you need to go to the expense of upgrading.

Not always a good idea. Sure, the value of something may still be up there, but that doesn't mean someone's gonna buy it at that price (why should they when they can buy it brand new from wherever you got yours?). There are plenty of cheaper guitars that have PLENTY of bang for their buck. My first guitar was my Epiphone LP 100. I spent 200 dollars on it, and I still use it, even though I have a Fender Strat and a Taylor 214CE acoustic. It doesn't go out of tune, the action is excellent, the tone is fine, and it's a BEAUTIFUL guitar (it IS a les paul after all). No need to buy a really good 800 dollar guitar as your first. If you are depending on the quality of your gear to motivate you to play guitar, then do yourself a favor and find a hobby that you ACTUALLY enjoy.
Quote by Sample246
Not always a good idea. Sure, the value of something may still be up there, but that doesn't mean someone's gonna buy it at that price (why should they when they can buy it brand new from wherever you got yours?). There are plenty of cheaper guitars that have PLENTY of bang for their buck. My first guitar was my Epiphone LP 100. I spent 200 dollars on it, and I still use it, even though I have a Fender Strat and a Taylor 214CE acoustic. It doesn't go out of tune, the action is excellent, the tone is fine, and it's a BEAUTIFUL guitar (it IS a les paul after all). No need to buy a really good 800 dollar guitar as your first. If you are depending on the quality of your gear to motivate you to play guitar, then do yourself a favor and find a hobby that you ACTUALLY enjoy.

+1

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by Sample246

I agree there are some great guitars out there that are great value for money and If one of those guitars is what you want then that's great! The important thing is to get the guitar you want and can afford. The guitar that will make you happy.

I'm not saying you have to spend a small fortune to get a good guitar, what I am getting at is if you want to get XXX guitar, XXX guitar will make you happy and you can afford it then thats what you should get. There is no need to buy a less expensive guitar just because you're mate doesn't think you're worthy of higher quality gear.

You're right, saying that you shouldn't be depending on the quality of you're gear to motivate you to play, but you can't deny that you're definately going to be more motivated to play if you have good quality equipment that you love comapred to gear that frustrates you because it's not what you really want.
I don't think a pedal will complicate things as much as you fear, but I think it is rather unnecessary. If you are starting, it should be more about getting accustomed to your instrument then nailing the sound you're going for on the head. If he insists on spending the extra bucks on a pedal, more power to him.