I can't seem to nail it. I figure using a telecaster will give me a better range as to the tones of different bands/artists but what effects and things do they use?
Yeh , bridge single coil, and fender hot rod series have great cleans
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
compression never goes amiss for those "sproingy" country tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by xander307
Yeh , bridge single coil, and fender hot rod series have great cleans

exactly. The twin is better though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thanks guys, are there any major effects they use? i saw compression was a good one. a lot of songs nowadays don't sound really distorted it they are certainly not clean. its a sound where it feels like they could almost play a super heavy distorted song, but its next to clean. i tried my boss blues driver and it seems to go too far in the sense of distortion.
hmm, sounds like you're looking for a natural break-up rather than distortion

this ain't my area though, can anyone suggest a good light OD pedal?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by Ryanmcl2491
thanks guys, are there any major effects they use? i saw compression was a good one. a lot of songs nowadays don't sound really distorted it they are certainly not clean. its a sound where it feels like they could almost play a super heavy distorted song, but its next to clean. i tried my boss blues driver and it seems to go too far in the sense of distortion.

What amp are you using?

And have you tried turning the level on the Blues Driver up but turning the gain down to 0?

Please note that probably won't work very well on a solid state amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Please note that probably won't work very well on a solid state amp.

This

The sound you're looking for is the natural break-up of tubes to give a slight crunch/chime, amirite?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
If you take a Strat with pickups that can be adjusted by screwdriver, play around with it and you can get a pretty hickish sounds. I did the opposite to get a near-humbucker sound.
P.S. don't do if you don't know what your doing. My teacher helped me out.
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
I play metal mostly but when I want to mess around with some country twangy stuff I use my strat with a slap-back delay and a bit of reverb. I use a compressor sometimes but I have found the real key to the tone for me has been the delay setting with a relatively quick slap-back. (and of course the jangly single coil pickups to start with)