Page 1 of 2
i recently bought a marshall halfstack. now the problem im having is that the bass knobs are turned all the way down and there is a lot of bass when i play it. especially when i have the distortion on. it wasnt like that at first. it was good for the first few times i played it and all of a sudden it started doing this. nothing happened to it either, so it isnt a matter of it breaking. what could it be?
What model and how long have you had it?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
i'm guessing MG
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
idk what model it is. id go check but its at my bands drummers house, so yea.
umm ive had it for about 2 months.
So returning it is out of the question...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Skierinanutshel
wait....you bought an amp and dont even know what model it is.....

+1
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
umm well the i know one of the pieces was $270 and the other was $340. i dont remember which was which though.
idk why its like this though. i played it in the store and it sounded really good. is it something that can be fixed? i did get a warrantee on it.
well thats ****.
if i run my distorion pedal through it rather than the amp distortion, it sounds good though. will the sound quality get worse?
What kind of distortion pedal? It's really tough to get a good tone out of the MGs if your not a great player but it's possible to sound passable.

And I think your my friend on xbox live if your name on here is the same as on xbox. My gt is the inTIMidator4.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
yup its the same guy
well anyway, no i dont have any money whatsoever
and i have a Boss metal zone pedal.
Quote by IX_SiLeNc3r_XI
yup its the same guy
well anyway, no i dont have any money whatsoever
and i have a Boss metal zone pedal.

If you send that pedal to Analogman and get it modded it will sound better than your MG.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
why didnt you consult UG before buying that crap. Could have bought a really good metal combo amp with that much

Sell that shit on craiglist to an unsuspecting marshall noob.
^+infinity.

sell it ASAP!! then you can be close to buying a used tube or used SS metal amp.

to be honest, when i was a noob and looking at amps, i thought the MGs were cool too, mostly b/c of the 'Marshall' logo...that's all i cared about. then i played a Vox AD30VT and it sounded MUCH better and went for that. but yea, i was lookin' for practice amps...you spent QUITE a bit of money for pure shit. so go change that...NOW.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Don't those things at least have some sort of warranty period? I might be tempted to just say it's broken (it probably is, in some manner) and say I want my money back. Tell them that you've since discovered the horrible reputation these things have for breaking down. You'd be lucky to get $300-400 out of it used, and that's a pretty big loss to take because Marshall can't get their act straight.
This is what went through his mind when he purchased this 600 dollar piece of shit

I BOTZ DA MERSHAWLZ RAWFL
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
i didnt just buy it because of the marshall logo.
i played it in the store and i liked how it sounded, and it was in my price range.
^yea guys, you know it IS possible to think a bad amp sounds good when your ears haven't been exposed to all the better ones out there. i used to think stompbox distortion pedals were the ONLY way to go! i actually had a digitech death metal that i used a lot. so yea...don't bash the guy so much, he's not even being a dick. i wanna know how many of you out there knew from the START that marshall MGs were the worst amps possible.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Skierinanutshel
well, if you have fiddled with the EQ enough, and are sure that there is no way to get rid of the bass, then there is no way to fix it.

on the bright side, your MG has lasted pretty long before breaking.

ha i had mine for four and a half months before it went to shit lol, but also, the cab is pretty bassy, and from the sounds of it, especially not knowing what model you have, umm... well, then maybe you just dont know what the hell your doin??, im not sayin that for sure but you know...(that was directed to the thread starter lol)
well is the entire halfstack bad or can i buy a better head at a later date?
and thanks to all the people who arent bashing me for this.
and yea i havent been playing too long, so im no where near being an expert.
ive probably got like 9 monthish under my belt.
Last edited by IX_SiLeNc3r_XI at Nov 16, 2008,
Quote by IX_SiLeNc3r_XI
well is the entire halfstack bad or can i buy a better head at a later date?
and thanks to all the people who arent bashing me for this.
and yea i havent been playing too long, so im no where near being an expert.
ive probably got like 9 monthish under my belt.

IF it is an MG100DFX, the entire stack is really low quality... (I can't believe I saw a guy with a Mesa Triple Recto' through an MG cab...) the cabinet has bad speakers and is made like a plastic toy, and the head... well you've heard enough about that.

1) Are you sure you're turning the bass knob on the correct channel? If you're on the clean channel with a distortion pedal then don't turn down the rhythm/lead channel's bass.

2) Have you through of an EQ pedal to pull back more bass?

It's not broken. You just haven't found the setting you want.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
well i figured out that my problem was that there was too much contour.
now when im using the distortion pedal my pinches sounded really stupid, and im guessing thats just the bad quality of the amp. if i got a better head would that be good? of course id eventually get a better cabinet later down the road, but would a new head suffice for the time being?
thats what im doin, im about 400 away from a hughes and kettner head right now, then ill find a cab i like, then a strat woooo... i need a job lol, but ya a new head would suffice for the time, its not nessacarily that the cab is complete crap, its just crap not completely useless crap like the head
ok works for me
ill get a new head once i earn the money. whats a good kind of head? im not really an expert as you can tell lol
dont suggest anything overly expensive, im only 15 and i dont have a job.
maybe $250-$300 range. and id like to stay at 100w-120w range. i plan on being in a band again in a bit, my other band broke up.
Quote by IX_SiLeNc3r_XI
ok works for me
ill get a new head once i earn the money. whats a good kind of head? im not really an expert as you can tell lol
maybe $250-$300 range. and id like to stay at 100w-120w range. i plan on being in a band again in a bit, my other band broke up.

It would be cheaper and easier to just turn into a static x cover band then you have the best amp on the market for covering him...

But, honestly you can do a lot with $300 if you look used. Best amp around that range is going to be a Peavey Ultra Plus ($350-$450).

And on the contour knob issue the one on the randall amp I had did the same thing..
Quote by IX_SiLeNc3r_XI
ok works for me

You need to sell your MG head and buy this

Buy me!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2