Page 1 of 2
I'm wanting a good Fuzz pedal that can handle singing classic and Stoner Metal tones. Budget $100 and hopefully less.
Last edited by Titans36 at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Skierinanutshel
big muff?

This.

Only fuzz worth getting under 100 bucks IMO.
a cheaper alternative to a big muff is a behringer vd1. i've heard they sound the same, but the quality isn't as good. depends if you want to gig with it or not...
Quote by imgooley
This.

Only fuzz worth getting under 100 bucks IMO.

What about that MXR or that Duncan?
the double muff isnt really the big muff..different circuit.

if you're going to get a pi, go for the USA shiny pi.

the MXR is a silicone fuzz..... a different sounding fuzz than the big muff, and i'm not sure what the duncan's circuit is based off of.

i'd try out all three successively, and decide after that.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by Titans36
What about that MXR or that Duncan?

The MXR is good, but twice as much, almost, as the Muff.

Never played the duncan.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
the double muff isnt really the big muff..different circuit.

if you're going to get a pi, go for the USA shiny pi.

the MXR is a silicone fuzz..... a different sounding fuzz than the big muff, and i'm not sure what the duncan's circuit is based off of.

i'd try out all three successively, and decide after that.

I live hours away from trying. UG tries pedals out for me
Quote by imgooley
The MXR is good, but twice as much, almost, as the Muff.

Never played the duncan.

For around my budget I want the best possible.
The big muff is a good choice, but my personal favorites are devi ever fuzzes. Go to deviever.com and look at some of the pedals, lots of them have sound clips and youtube demos.

EDIT: I should probably mention that most of their fuzzes are either $100 or $300, depending on the features. They're all incredible IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Don't get the little muff, or the double muff, or the russian, just the USA or the regular or whatever it's called. Even though it's more of a distortion pedal than a fuzz. If you want the best fuzz out there get an Analog Man sunface.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Actually, if you are playing stoner metal a Russian Muff might be up your alley. They are darker than the standard. I would recommend trying them out just to see.

How much are catlinbread v8s?
Quote by Highwaytohell
Actually, if you are playing stoner metal a Russian Muff might be up your alley. They are darker than the standard. I would recommend trying them out just to see.

How much are catlinbread v8s?

Catalinbread V8's are about 120.

+1 on the russian muff. More low mids
Mmmm... the v8 is an amazing pedal, but probably not good for stoner metal. I guess the Russian Muff is probably better since it's the darker one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
So which one will cover all my needs the Russian Muff or the USA Big Muff?
I'm not sure you'll get Hendrix with either of them, different type of caps. I have the inkeling (sp?) you won't get both from one pedal.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
I really would rather just have a more Classic type of Fuzz than the Modern sounding. I want that singing,smooth,Horn like type of fuzz. Versitility is a plus but in my price range I'm not sure I'll find what I want. So what are the $100 Fuzz pedals to look at?
The BM isn't really modern sounding IMO. Just heaps of gain. It's actually got a very large range of tones.

The V8 is excellent for many things.

The thing about fuzz: you don't have many options at 100 dollars, and you can never have too many fuzzes.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I agree besides the Cool Cat fuzz for 30 bucks. It is worth it for that amount of cash.

+1, the cool cat actually seems to sound pretty good, based on youtube videos and stuff.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by CullenT

i wouldnt go for the new FF. the new design/circuit doesnt do the vintage FF's justice. there are a bunch of good clones and kits for the vintage FF that nail the sound, though.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
i wouldnt go for the new FF. the new design/circuit doesnt do the vintage FF's justice. there are a bunch of good clones and kits for the vintage FF that nail the sound, though.
The Dunlop is built to the same circuit as the original and with germanium PNP transistors and it has the box; what more do you want?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
The Dunlop is built to the same circuit as the original and with germanium PNP transistors and it has the box; what more do you want?

you sure about that? i was looking at schems. that said differently....lemme look it up real quick

edit: yeah, sorry, my mistake. i was thinking of the "hendrix" FF, which has the silicon transistor, and a bit of a different overall circuit.

and again, the new FF (although exact-spec) still doesnt sound the same as the old ones.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by MrCarrot
what more do you want?

For it to sound better.
So can someone give me a few to look at or maybe try? I could just get 1 now for Classic Fuzz and 1 later for Modern Fuzz. I need a list of ones to check out and what they are good for. Please...Thanks...
Or just save up some more dough and get one of these

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=780&CategoryID=10
Thats alot of Cheese^^^... What about the Duncan Fuzz or that Silicon MXR what are they best for?
After listening to the Big Muff and Russian Muff I like them both. I like the way that Duncan sounds to and is got alot of options like the Big Muff.
It sounds pretty good, actually.
Quote by imgooley
It sounds pretty good, actually.

What do you think that Duncan covers? I know what sounds I want but I'm pretty tone deaf about fuzzes and the type of music they cover. They almost all sound the same. Haha...Hey imgooley what Fuzz are you using in those stoner recordings you have?
Last edited by Titans36 at Nov 16, 2008,
Page 1 of 2