If I scrape off all the wood glue off my old nut and the cavity for it, would I be able to reuse it to switch my guitar to lefty? I'd rather not spend any money.
Try writing that in english.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
All right. I have a righty guitar I got off a friend. I'm a lefty. Could I remove the nut, scrape off the the wood glue, and just switch the nut to lefty? Or would the new glue just not work?
depending on how the string slots are shaped you might have to get a new one, but you can probably just flip it over and it'll be fine. Pictures would help.
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
You would have to flip the pickups too!
Gear:
B-52 ATX-100
Mesa Oversized recto 4x12
Jackson DKMG (w/ BareKnuckle Warpigs )
Ibanez Acoustic

Feel free to add me or PM me.
Flipping the nut around will bank it ( on the top ) in the wrong direction, and all the string channels would be the opposite of what the should be, so you would have to either fill them and re-cut them, or you could cut the whole nut down below the bottom of the....

Oh wait, no, nut blanks are $3. Just buy a new nut, son! The 2-3 hours you would spend at that impossible task are not worth the $3 you would "save" by doing it. If you don't have tools to cut a new nut, then buy a pre-shaped and cut one. Probably costs $9.
A nut will generally slop up to the break point where the vibrating length of the string starts, now if you switch it, it will be the wrong way around.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by {Ѵëņŏmőůş}
You would have to flip the pickups too!

^^ Haha, I can't believe I forgot this part too.
Just buy a new nut, its about 5 bucks. Anyway, i don't think you can just "flip" the pickups around, you will most likely need to buy new pickups, also if your converting a right handed guitar to a lefty, you will need to relocate all the electronics and such to make playing more comfortable. Also the contours (if any) will be in the wrong places making it very uncomfortable to play.
What? There is no such thing as right and left handed pups

I have only ever heard of custom wound pups giving a differnt responce at each end of the pup (for 8 strings etc were the bass needs attention) so the regular ones will work fine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
What? There is no such thing as right and left handed pups

I have only ever heard of custom wound pups giving a differnt responce at each end of the pup (for 8 strings etc were the bass needs attention) so the regular ones will work fine.

You know...all of the sudden, you're completely right and I'm completely wrong. Pickups are NOT wound differently from side to side, and in humbuckers the slugs are all exactly the same size and the other pole pieces are adjustable so...

...man do I look dumb now...