ok so my guitar playing started out playing along to system of a down
now that i'm into other music (far more technical)
and i don't know any theory really, what can i do to break out of using power chords? when i try to improvise anything i tend to just use power chords.
Quote by skate_guitar
ok so my guitar playing started out playing along to system of a down
now that i'm into other music (far more technical)
and i don't know any theory really, what can i do to break out of using power chords? when i try to improvise anything i tend to just use power chords.

Check out freepowers sig for the basics of chords and stuff on guitar in general.

*Waits for Freepower to come in.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ahh, the power chord trap. Start learning Chord Progressions, from there the possibilities area endless.

Also, Start off with intervals to begin learning theory. Theory is the secret to getting good at the guitar as fast a possible.

I must admit I rely on power chords sometimes, but there are a lot of ways to play out. Try playing the notes on the E and D string and muting the A string with your index finger. This frees your pinky up to change the shape of the chord and get some really fast riffs layed out. Also, with power chords, you should learn to palm mute as if your life depended on it.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by gizmodious
Ahh, the power chord trap. Start learning Chord Progressions, from there the possibilities area endless.

Also, Start off with intervals to begin learning theory. Theory is the secret to getting good at the guitar as fast a possible.

I must admit I rely on power chords sometimes, but there are a lot of ways to play out. Try playing the notes on the E and D string and muting the A string with your index finger. This frees your pinky up to change the shape of the chord and get some really fast riffs layed out. Also, with power chords, you should learn to palm mute as if your life depended on it.

defnitely this. i was stuck in a rut but learning theoy really does help with improv and songwriting, melodies an everything. find a way to get free lessons and youre home free.
Quote by kaizerkhan13
defnitely this. i was stuck in a rut but learning theoy really does help with improv and songwriting, melodies an everything. find a way to get free lessons and youre home free.

ha exactly.
thanks dudes.