Hi. I'm a guitar player recently converted to the bass side of life. My band is playing a high school battle of the bands this Friday and I need to have an idea of what wattage of amp I would need to gig. The amp has to be a combo amp and has to keep up with two 33-watt Vox tube amps. I understand that they will just be mic'ing the amps to the house sound system. I was quoted told by guitar center as needing a 600-800 watt amp with a starting price of $600 but it sounds like he was just trying to earn a nice commission off me. I have around $115 readily available but can stretch to more if necessary.
Quote by Hgtcore3
Hi. I'm a guitar player recently converted to the bass side of life. My band is playing a high school battle of the bands this Friday and I need to have an idea of what wattage of amp I would need to gig. The amp has to be a combo amp and has to keep up with two 33-watt Vox tube amps. I understand that they will just be mic'ing the amps to the house sound system. I was quoted told by guitar center as needing a 600-800 watt amp with a starting price of $600 but it sounds like he was just trying to earn a nice commission off me. I have around $115 readily available but can stretch to more if necessary.
Unless all of your gigs are going to be augmented with in house PA then 300 watts is the usual recomended minimum to get by on live gigs.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
idk man...a 100 watt could pull it off, but itd need to be a Hartke imo. thats the smallest ive ever used with any success.
Quote by kaizerkhan13
idk man...a 100 watt could pull it off, but itd need to be a Hartke imo. thats the smallest ive ever used with any success.

But you won't have any head room, 100 watts would only be any good if it was all valve/tube ie classic Orange 120.
I appreciate geting started is a hard and expensive road BTW.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
hmm. if your friends can turn down much, you can ride with 200. 100, you'll be lost in the mix.

600 watts is not needed. that man is stupid. he works at a GC, it's his job to be stupid. I'd aim to get something good cheap, and loud.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Hi agian. I've been looking at this model: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL900A-90W-1x12--Aluminum-Cone-Bass-Combo-103683934-i1145511.gc
I hate to use guitar center but its my only option given the time. I don't plan on gigging because I have amazingly bad stage fright and the only reason I'm agreeing to do this gig is because the lead singer literally saved my life. After this gig I plan on mainly using this as a practice amp. Btw I asked and it will be augmented by the in-house pa and they are having professional audio techs to do the sound.
well, don't use Behringer. it is not good at all. it will leave you with a broken amp.

if you are using a PA system, I would chase the Acoustic AB50 personally.

hope you enjoy yourself. a bit off topic, but may I enquire the circumstance of your ife being saved?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Hgtcore3
Hi agian. I've been looking at this model: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL900A-90W-1x12--Aluminum-Cone-Bass-Combo-103683934-i1145511.gc
I hate to use guitar center but its my only option given the time. I don't plan on gigging because I have amazingly bad stage fright and the only reason I'm agreeing to do this gig is because the lead singer literally saved my life. After this gig I plan on mainly using this as a practice amp. Btw I asked and it will be augmented by the in-house pa and they are having professional audio techs to do the sound.

One 12" speaker is just not up to live gigging, it will even struggle at rehearsals if you reahearse at full level as I've always done, do they make a 15" combo?

BTW many so called Professional audio techs are failed wannabe musos who the bands they failed in let them do the sound for free.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Nov 14, 2008,