since my other thread got moved because it was off topic, i thought i might start another one

how do you go about learning songs by ear? where do you start? how long does it take you to learn a 30 sec solo or something?

you can close this if you want anarkee just thought id get these questions answered
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
First I figure out what key it's in, and then maybe figure out what sort of scales the notes fit into, and branch out from there.

Why would this get closed? It's on topic isn't it?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
look down the page and i made another thread that got moved to tab talk
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
listen to it a hundred times, pick apart the riffs, listen to only the left or right earphone if the guitars are paned

for solos i find the best tab i can and use that to help me figure it out
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by sonsie
since my other thread got moved because it was off topic, i thought i might start another one

how do you go about learning songs by ear? where do you start? how long does it take you to learn a 30 sec solo or something?

you can close this if you want anarkee just thought id get these questions answered
How long is a piece of string?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Your other thread was tab based. This is a more general question, so its OK.

Sonsie--ask your teacher about this. One of the things that helped me was to learn my intervals, chord arpeggios and scales, along with the common chord progression. For instance I had to write out a chart for "A place no one can find me" by Sam and Dave. Knowing my common chord progressions and how intervals sound helped tonnes to hear that it was a Dm arpeggio to a Em arpeggio and then back to the fifth or G major and then a basic walk up and down between the root and the 4th (C to F).

Also check out http://www.good-ear.com. Spend some time with this and you'll start to hear the difference between major and minor etc. etc.
I think most tabs are much like the mentronome (for timing) - you may know the notes, sure, but if you don't know the sounds or the phrasing, tabs aren't useful alone. You need to inherently learn parts by ear when using tab - the tab just shows you what the notes are (and notsomuch the when and the where), which, many times, you can figure out anyway. Me, I just try to find the key, and cop it lick by lick.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
ok guys (and girl ) thanks for your help il keep trying and ask my teacher
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Last edited by sonsie at Nov 14, 2008,
Just so you know....this is not an easy thing to do man. It takes a lot of time to get good this.

I think this raises an interesting point about what constitutes learning a song. I mean, some basslines you need to play note for note as they are so distinctive. But most songs i think its more important to understand the song, and then improvise. a fill is just a fill, you dont have to do the same fill they did.
Yeah, as anarkee said I listen for sounds that I recognise, for example, there's a chord change like Am, F, G that turns up in so many heavy metal songs (although in different keys), so if you get that you know it's in the minor scale, (although there might be character notes in it) you can get the key by trail and error, and your away. it just takes a good ear and trial and error, for me anyway, I never really try to get it exactly note-for-note the same.