I don't know if this is on here or not yet like, but i have a problem:

i am in a heavy/thrash metal band as lead guitarist and we are writing song after song at the moment, the problem i have is a few of these have lengthy parts open for solos that i need to write so i have decided to start learning theory but i don't know where to actually start as there is sooo much. i have written a few solos but non sound correct.

What i am mainly in need of is learning how to write solos that are musically correct against the rhythm guitars part, so i have looked into scales which i kind of understand and in to checking what key i am in but it still makes no sense so is there a better place to start that will help me understand it properly?

P.S. i am unable to afford a tutor but feel free to leave that as a suggestion.
Quote by freighttrain

P.S. i am unable to afford a tutor but feel free to leave that as a suggestion.

get a tutor

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
The universal point for starting theory is INTERVALS.

From there, go pick up some scales. For Metal I would suggest The phygrian Dominant and the minor Natural for soloing.

Learn to palm mute like your life depended on it.

Also, experiment with dropped D tuning to speed up your power chords. This also opens the door for dropped C and b tuning, which is very BRUTAL. Good luck metal head.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
well deagle-eyes my solos have to fit the same key as the rhythm and they also have to be done using notes that fit as well but i do know that notes that don't fit as well are used alot but the solo will always go back to a correct note on the same scale and key called a resolved note
cheers gizmodious i will get right onto finding out about intervals now, but any other suggestion would be most appreciated as i want to learn as much as possible
Read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Read Josh Urban's Crusade articles in the columns section.

+1

If you start with article 1 and follow it right through, you'll have a good knowledge of music theory and how to apply it.
ok thanks all. i have looked at the crusade articles but the tabs on there are really bad and don't show on my screen properly. As far as one lesson goes i struggle to pay my bus fare at the moment so that is going to be pretty hard lol but i know someone who does give lessons and i'l see if he will give me a free one as a favour. no this isn't for a theory exam it's just for musical development ifor myself and for the band as a whole.

keep the advise coming