When i normally pratice im usually on beat but not all the time so i started practicing with a metronome and its really more boring than when i normally practice. Am i using it wrong like not doing the good exercise with it?

Also, I practice with guitar pro sometimes and its not that boring. Does it do the same thing as a metronome?

Do u have any answer to these question or a funny fact to cheer me up?
and if u do practice with a metronome what do u do with it?
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
I don't practice with a metronome, but I guess you'd practice specific songs with it. Like if you have a favorite song, you'd set the metronome to the proper bpm and practice playing it. I'd say playing along with guitar pro is just as good, as long as you're keeping up.

A metronome is ultimately just to make sure you're keeping in time. Try playing with other people, see if you have trouble staying together. If you do, then chances are one of you need to work on your time (i.e. use a metronome).
ive been enjoying using a metronome , working through and becomming familiar with different speeds , to the point where i can say , hey lets jam with a " largo" feel and speed up to around "moderato" .
metronome can be used for a variey of pulses , the same speed click can be used for crochets , dotted crochets , minims , semiquavers , you can get creative in new ways with it , by trying time signature changes , but alsomoving from compound and simple time .

food 4 thought i hope !
I'll admit that using a metronome is quite boring sometimes. But the benefits of using it far outweigh the negatives.

I imagine using a drum machine or Guitar pro does much the same thing
I don't ever get bored of practicing with a metronome. Having it on always helps me
with accenting and playing around with different phrasing. It actually makes it clearer
and easier to do this.

If you're bored with it, you chose to be bored. That's all it really amounts to.
yeah, get a drum machine (hydrogen is awesome), record some riff, and improvise over it, I still use metronome, but sometimes it can get boring
.. and from the other perspective, do you know whats really boring? A guitarist who can't keep time!

Metronomes can be fun in their own irritatingly metric way. Try playing with a lilt or slightly ahead of the beat if your that amazingly awesome with timing that playing to a click is merely unnecessary background noise to you.
Once We Were Anarchists
Funny how these replies can end up being insults! Strange.

Anyway... I know where you're coming from dude, it sounds to me like you're not using that little box of gold to it's full potential.

Using a backing track (or the built-in metronome) in Guitar Pro is doing the exact same thing as a standard metronome, so keep using 'em!

But dude, I have an idea to get you hooked on using your metronome, it's something I do all the time and it works a treat!

Basically you need to pick a riff, solo or anything else that's rather quick and slightly faster than you can actually play. (my first one was the 2nd riff in Master of puppets) Once you've chosen your piece you need to learn it, whether it's by ear, or decent Tab. Now I know it's too fast for you to play right now, but this trick will amaze you if the have the patience.

Play the piece as slowly as possible and set your metronome. The trick here is that it's slow enough for you to be able to play each and every note CLEANLY.

Ok so here's the rule. You must play it CLEANLY 5 times running, before you can turn up your metronome by 3bpm only. that's THREE. Continue this process strictly, even if it seems tedious... Eventually you'll get to a point where you're making mistakes. if this happens, then drop it back down until you correct it. NEVER increase the speed until you can play it cleanly at least 5 times!

Follow that, be strict with your self, and the results will show themselves.

All of a sudden, you have a way of mastering all those lick you've heard but always thought 'i can't play them'. It may take time, but your abilty to play fast is a simply byproduct of clean and accurate playing.
if you dont like the metronome... then jam with a drummer. Just make sure he can keep a beat and groove.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
if you dont like the metronome... then jam with a drummer. Just make sure he can keep a beat and groove.

Lol. Good luck finding one of these...
If you just have it on in the background it can be kind of uninspiring. You need to try and think of new and novel ways to use it. I make up challenges and games to play with the metronome. For example if I'm trying to get the speed of a pattern or lick up I'll find the speed I can comfortably play it at the moment. I'll then move it up a notch each time I play the lick correctly. Here's the rub though - if I get the lick wrong I'll go back 3 notches - I can be quite a challenge moving forward under this system.

Also think about stlyes. In some styles you need to really lay back and play just a little behind the beat - can you play the same distance behind the click every time? And how about those styles where you need to be just ahead?

Just get creative and you'll have lots of ideas.
I don't get bored practicing with a metronome, sure its a bit uninspiring but when you practice you're supposed to focus on your playing.
Quote by Myung-trucci
I don't get bored practicing with a metronome, sure its a bit uninspiring but when you practice you're supposed to focus on your playing.

Indeed. Musicianship and technique are two entirely different things. Practice isn't always fun. That does mean it isn't tremendously helpful.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I cant play with a metronome myself.. it just messes with my head. It's not that i can't play to rythm, not at all - give me a real drum beat, and i'm on.. it's just that.. "tick,tick,tick,tick".. I just can't xD I have no idea where to start or what to do with that shit, hehe.

Never been very technical.. I don't sit'n count beats and such.. i just.. well, i play per feeling, and luckily i'm quite musical (if thats the word), and i never have problems with it. But it's annoying though. Everytime i try one of those things, they just kill my brains.. and i end up swearing for hours and being pissed, because i got defeated, by a damn tick-tock machine..
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
I cant play with a metronome myself.. it just messes with my head. It's not that i can't play to rythm, not at all - give me a real drum beat, and i'm on.. it's just that.. "tick,tick,tick,tick".. I just can't xD I have no idea where to start or what to do with that shit, hehe.

Never been very technical.. I don't sit'n count beats and such.. i just.. well, i play per feeling, and luckily i'm quite musical (if thats the word), and i never have problems with it. But it's annoying though. Everytime i try one of those things, they just kill my brains.. and i end up swearing for hours and being pissed, because i got defeated, by a damn tick-tock machine..

The truth is hard eh

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Just use guitar pro with a low tempo. Use a metronome if you're away from the PC.
Just a tip. You saw that you have the .25, .50,.75,1.00 speeds? You can customize them by going into the loop thing and setting the tempo to go lets say that you want .67? You set it to go from 67% to 67% and you have your custom speed .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Nov 16, 2008,
Inspiration = "in the spirit".

If you can't generate it yourself, you're relying on the external world to do it for you.
It pretty much follows that if you're going to allow your inspiration to come from the
whims of the world, you're never going to be very consistent.

A metronome is simply doing what all music does -- provide a steady pulse. In actually
has no connection to inspiration at all. In fact any inspiration from the external world
is just a lie you've tricked yourself into believing -- it gives you an excuse for those times
you feel uninspired and good place to place the blame so that you can absolve yourself
of responsibility for your own inspiration. In reality, you always generate your own
anyway.