Been playing for a while now, but I wanna learn more on the blues side of things - (old R&B, 60s blues rock). I don't know where to start though.

Help pls.
Learn your blues scale and the I IV V progression and the possibilities are endless:

Here's a quick set list to start with:

Big Boss Man-Jimmy Reed
Dyna Flow-Albert King
Messin' with the Kid - Junior Wells
Kidney Stew - Eddie "Cleanhead" Wilson
Stormy Monday - Allman Bros or T-Bone Walker
Mardis Gras in New Orleans - Fats Domino
CrossCut Saw - Albert King
My Babe - Little Walter
Key to Highway - Big Bill Broonzy
Hideaway - Freddie King
I'm tore down - Freddie King
Born under a Bad Sign - Albert King with Duck Dunn
Killing Floor - Howlin' Wolf (and you'll learn the bridge to Zep's Lemon Song)
Pride and Joy - SLV. Tommy Shannon is a blues bass god. Anything by SLV is good
The Thrill is gone - BB King. Again just jamming to BB King records will make you a good bass player

If you want more, PM me

And remember in Blues, you are the driving force of the rhythm section. The drums, like in jazz, lock to you! Have fun. I love the blues and play currently in a blues band.

And for R & B--Stax and Motown. I can give you more on this side of things if you want. I also play in an R&B funk group right now...
listen to Cream, ZZ Top, BB King, Muddy Waters, and Stevie Ray Vaughan

of all the bass players in there, Jack Bruce of Cream and Tommy Shannon with Stevie Ray are most important, IMO. King and Waters will definitely show you some strong electric blues however.

those were the first things to pop into my head, if you know them, you're already halfway there.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by anarkee
I also play in an R&B funk group right now...

Jealous!!

Blues is all about improvisation. Learn the progression, jam away my friend
Quote by Applehead
Jealous!!

Blues is all about improvisation. Learn the progression, jam away my friend

Improvisation and feel. Think about people walking or dancing.

Yeah--I'm in a funk/R&B group, a Blues group and a jazz jam group. My plate is quite full but I swear to god almighty, I am dreaming bass lines in my head at this point, and according to Mr. Tam, humming them in my sleep.
Quote by anarkee
Improvisation and feel. Think about people walking or dancing.

Yeah--I'm in a funk/R&B group, a Blues group and a jazz jam group. My plate is quite full but I swear to god almighty, I am dreaming bass lines in my head at this point, and according to Mr. Tam, humming them in my sleep.

should book a show with all of them, one after another. that would be just wicked.

exhausting, but wicked.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Listen to this, just amazing blues rock right here...

Listen for the bass solo in the middle, it's godly. For all of those people that hate on pick players, just watch this (4:58----)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzsDWTc4mY

The bassist, Gerry Macvoy, should be more well known. He is a blues god.
Last edited by Pizza The Hut at Nov 14, 2008,
Personally I think my style's when I'm playing "blues" (if you can call it that) way too much like lead guitar - I throw in bends and stuff. I really need to practice my walking bass like.

Libertine - Yes, arpeggios help alot for walking bass. I'm still hopeless at it, But what I do know Is based on chord shapes mostly.