Which body wood is best for shredding/fast leads. In terms of a balance of clarity/sustain/tone.

Mahogany
Alder
Poplar
Basswood
Other

Cant be arsed doing the poll thing.
Any, really. But I think most shredders prefer a lightweight wood that sounds balanced (mostly leaning towards the brighter end of the spectrum). So alder and basswood are the most common I guess.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I've heard that Alder would be the best out of those two woods, my RG isnt that good for shredding, that may be the pickups but its basswood, soo
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
If "Shredding/fast leads" is what your after. . . look more to pickups and neck radius than body wood. Here's why. . . Shredding and leads will usually include distortion,effects etc. Body wood characteristics are pretty much lost, for the most part, in a shred scenario. There are subtlties present from each type of wood but when all out shredding is concearned the pickup is the key for your tone.
Usually Basswood/Alder, occasionally mahogany.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I want to say Basswood, but I can't really say it matters.

Pickups play a larger role in "shred tone" than anything, and a pickup will usually have its designated tonewood.
The type of wood is not really important to me on electric bodys as long as the guitar sounds good, the neck does matter. It matters a great deal on acoustics. I think good pickups, on any good guitar make up for any thing a cheaper wood could be lacking. And of course a good amp is the most important thing for great tone.
Last edited by IPlaySchecter at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by ExplorerFreak
^ Wood really affects a great deal in electrics.

strangely enough, it does... I wonder why. I mean, it shouldn't but it does...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
strangely enough, it does... I wonder why. I mean, it shouldn't but it does...

You think wood matters greatly? And you are raving on about a peavey vypyr! Come on DUDE! Youre fired!
The reason it makes a difference is because wood resonates. If the wood doesn't resonate very well, it's gonna sound bad no matter what pickups. The reason for this is the natural pitch of the wood, if the body, neck and fretboard are all resonating a perfect 5th apart, it's gonna sound pretty good. If they're all resonating at a diminished 5th/augmented 4th apart or any other dissonant interval, it's not going to sound great. It also accounts for sustain and other things as well. But, my favorite for shredding has got to be basswood body/maple neck. Alder is an extremely close second. I'm not a huge fan of mahogany, it's a little too warm for shredding. If you want to see if the wood is resonating harmoniously, strum and E chord using all six strings and let it continue ringing while you feel the vibrations of the headstock. If it vibrates quite a bit, it's resonating harmoniously. Repeat and touch the lower bout and the upper bout and see if it's resonating there. Then repeat with just plucking the open G string. If it's resonating nicely, you shouldn't have a problem with the wood and the pickups would make little difference. That being said, you would much rather have say, a nicely resonating mahogany guitar than a poorly resonating basswood body/maple neck guitar. Also, in my opinion, amps make a much bigger difference in tone/clarity than body woods.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
You think wood matters greatly? And you are raving on about a peavey vypyr! Come on DUDE! Youre fired!

And you think good pickups make up for cheaper wood? You sir, are fired!
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Basswood/Poplar or Alder.

Basswood and Poplar are bout the same except Poplar does better in cleans though it is known for poplar to resonate unfavourably
Quote by aznrockerdude
And you think good pickups make up for cheaper wood? You sir, are fired!

I didnt say that< what i said is i am not to concerned with what type of wood it is as long as any particular guitar sounds good. Now go sit down and play with all them knobs on your vypyr and get some cool DIGITAL tones!
I have been told buy a very well respected luthier, That there are good and bad cuts of every kind of wood. That being said just because a guitar is mohogany or whatever, dont always meant its great.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I have been told buy a very well respected luthier, That there are good and bad cuts of every kind of wood. That being said just because a guitar is mohogany or whatever, dont always meant its great.

Yea, that basically sums it up. I've played great mahogany guitars and crappy ones, same brand, same shape, same pickups, basically same everything. Just try some stuff out and find one you like.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I didnt say that< what i said is i am not to concerned with what type of wood it is as long as any particular guitar sounds good. Now go sit down and play with all them knobs on your vypyr and get some cool DIGITAL tones!

I don't own a Vypyr, nor do I want one.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
One of the best guitars I've played for shredding? John Petrucci music mans are awesome, basswood body, pickups that can do anything, a piezo pickup. D-sonic blade pickup, coil split for a super-stratlike tone, tremolo bridge but with locking tuners no locking nut (and as far as i know its less annoying then a FR), amazing unfinished birdseye maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard, the thing screams shred. Just look at JP and think about it. Or you could try a JEM or PGM. At 2k it is a tad expensive but its WELL worth it. It's a beautiful guitar and it's incredibly well made.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Last edited by milkmanv1 at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by milkmanv1
One of the best guitars I've played for shredding? John Petrucci music mans are awesome, basswood body, pickups that can do anything, a piezo pickup. D-sonic blade pickup, coil split for a super-stratlike tone, tremolo bridge but with locking tuners no locking nut (and as far as i know its less annoying then a FR), amazing unfinished birdseye maple neck, with a rosewood fingerboard, the thing screams shred. Just look at JP and think about it. Or you could try a JEM or PGM. At 2k it is a tad expensive but its WELL worth it. It's a beautiful guitar and it's incredibly well made.

i never said i wanted a guitar or wanted advice i was just interested in opinions. i own several guitars of several woods.
i like mahogany for shredding because it has a sweet, smooth sound. but really, its what YOU like for shredding. there is no wrong answer.
Quote by IPlaySchecter

You know what, not everyone shares your exact opinion. Not only that, you know NOTHING about Vypyrs. They're ANALOG DISTORTION WITH A MODELING PROCESSOR. They're not anything like spiders. Also, you act like a complete baby whenever someone doesn't agree with you.

Anyway, I like good basswood (which is usually American basswood of a high grade) for its clarity and percussive properties. I like alder (preferably the high grade red alder) because of its better highs than basswood and more balanced tone. Mahogany is better for a more "powerful" tone, but it's better with a maple cap for a bit more brightness and definition.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Nov 15, 2008,
for shredding i like alder or basswood, for rhythm work it's mahogany or alder for me
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by oneblackened
You know what, not everyone shares your exact opinion. Not only that, you know NOTHING about Vypyrs. They're ANALOG DISTORTION WITH A MODELING PROCESSOR. They're not anything like spiders. Also, you act like a complete baby whenever someone doesn't agree with you.

Anyway, I like good basswood (which is usually American basswood of a high grade) for its clarity and percussive properties. I like alder (preferably the high grade red alder) because of its better highs than basswood and more balanced tone. Mahogany is better for a more "powerful" tone, but it's better with a maple cap for a bit more brightness and definition.

i do know about vypyrs, i bought one for my son. I just dont like modeling amps, or digital tone. just my opinion.