Page 8 of 14
Quote by Athabasca
I've found that listening to Portal when one is on that edge between sleep and waking is very intense. The number of weird abstract thoughts one has in such a state are hectic enough...but couple that with Portal and the results are indescribable.

I'm gonna listen to Swarth in full while I go to sleep tonight. I'll see what happens.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I'm gonna listen to Swarth in full while I go to sleep tonight. I'll see what happens.

*wake up in the middle of the night*
*see something out of the corner of your eye*
*freak the fuck out, unable to sleep for the rest of the night*

Sounds about right.
Quote by Magero
There's a sort of... rite of initiation in Brissie to take acid and then go see Portal live. We just call it the "Portal Acid Challenge" and only like, 5 people I know have done it. Most terrifying thing in the world, apparently.

No. Try getting tasered on acid. *yours truely totenkopf* That's terrifying.

That would be a f*cking challenge though. F*cking going to any crowded public place on acid is a challenge.
Quote by darkstar2466

dude... i zoned out and started freaking out at SCHOOL

what the hell do you think is going to happen at night
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Is swarth their most horrifying album yet? how does seepia compare, seeing as that's all I've got so far, and it doesn't seem all that terrifying.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
Is swarth their most horrifying album yet? how does seepia compare, seeing as that's all I've got so far, and it doesn't seem all that terrifying.

Seepia really is a wall of chaos. It's hard to grasp, it took me ages, but it's there. The slithering things beyond your perception, in musical form.
Awhh, I saw the name of the thread and thought it was for the game Portal..
I'll be on my way.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
...ok...
People think that entertainers are very different from regular people, but we're not. You work hard for your money, we work hard for your money -Gene Simmons

Seven String Legion

Quote by ctfod
Ov Bone and the Marrow

Interpret, Adapt, Overcome.
Quote by metallicafan616

Outre is the one that gets me pretty much every time. It's probably the most consistent...although for songs you can't go past Larvae. That song is stunningly good.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

The title track on Outre is absolutely horrifying, I was listening to the album while reading at night, then it came on and I had to close my eyes and curl up in a ball. It was... weird...
I actually finally got around to reading some too this week. picked up "The Dreams In The Witch House And Other Weird Stories".

Honestly, I haven't been this fascinated by a writer since I discovered Tolkien.

also, don't Portal write their songs based on Lovecraft's writing?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
I actually finally got around to reading some too this week. picked up "The Dreams In The Witch House And Other Weird Stories".

Honestly, I haven't been this fascinated by a writer since I discovered Tolkien.

also, don't Portal write their songs based on Lovecraft's writing?

Pretty much.
They also just make shit up.
Quote by Magero
Pretty much.
They also just make shit up.

"Oust the candent"

for chrissakes, it just means "turn off the light"

if this turns out to be a huge joke on all their listeners i will only be somewhat surprised
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Nah, they're all deadly serious dudes. Apparently they've all been through the trad styles of metal when it started (they're all in their 30s now I think) and they just got bored of playing within boundaries. Hence everything being the musical version of a bag full of cats and Cthulu chucked into a whirlpool.
In zero gravity.
Quote by Magero
Apparently they've all been through the trad styles of metal when it started

really! i guess that's how innovative music is generally made though

couple guys play standard music, get sick of it, start putting out crazy stuff

anyway, anyone heard Omenous Fugue and Ignis Fatuus' other band Impetuous Ritual? they have one album out in which they need to tune up their snare sound, but some pretty cool atmospheric death. vaguely like Portal.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
I'm listening to Swarth stoned. What the fuck. WHAT THE FUCK!?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
From interviews I have read with Illogium, Portal come across pretty much like Deathspell Omega do in interviews. Both pursue their somewhat absurd themes with almost pretentious seriousness. I suppose that's the price of making music which is pretty much in a league of its own.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

i got swarth expecting a lot, but i was pretty dissapointed i disliked the guitar sound, it almost sounded like fuzz... <opinion>
Quote by fumb duck
i got swarth expecting a lot, but i was pretty dissapointed i disliked the guitar sound, it almost sounded like fuzz... <opinion>

listen at night, pitch black, with headphones, doing NOTHING else
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Quote by fumb duck

Have you heard any of their other stuff? Because they are very much an acquired taste.
Just looked this band up on Spotify, listen to the first track on the new album, and I'm enjoying it, it's weird though
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 27, 2010,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Just looked this band up on Spotify, listen to the first track on "Blood Red Tape", and I'm enjoying it

I think you may have a different band.
This is the Portal we're talking about.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5471
Quote by Magero
I think you may have a different band.
This is the Portal we're talking about.
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=5471

Yeah I noticed that afterwards, I went back and listened to the real Portal, I still like it

Though the other hard rock electronica band wasn't too bad either.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Baked out of my mind right now listening to Outre' it's goddamned amazing I tell you. I'm just trapped in a vortex of sound between time and oblivion watching as my soul leaves my body to the obsidian waves of transcendental energetic auras. Omnipotent Crawling Chaos was so damned beautiful and chaotic that I literally thought I was going to be sucked into the screen, so I had to get up because I thought I was having an aneurysm from all of the weed I had.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Has anyone thought of this while listening to Portal; http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/themusicoferichzann.htm

I own the Necromicon...

Not the evil book but the Lovecraft collection of the same name

Quote by DisarmGoliath
^

Quote by ChemicalFire
I own the Necromicon...

Not the evil book but the Lovecraft collection of the same name

I have some of his books but not that one.
just wondering, does The Curator change his mask with every album, or has it just been kinda random?

Sumdeus
I just imagined in my head, like 30 years from now at some auction "The Curator's Clock" up for sale and shit

Sumdeus
I'd hang that shit on my wall for sure.

Sumdeus