Page 1 of 2
AUDIO DEMO IS UP!

Hey,
Well, I finally went to pick up the Gibson Skylark I had the store hold on for me. I apologize for getting the thread up kind of late. I have had a fairly crammed schedule today.
Now, without further adieu...

All original tubes, which they are all RCA blackplates (6v6, 12A_7, 5Y3), and the original alnico Jensen speaker is still in it and working great.
It just needs a cap job, but that's no biggie. The thing sounds great! The cleans are warm, and the breakup is smooth and rich. With the stock 12AX7 (it has a 12AU7 in it now), it got very fuzzy and bumpy sounding when it was dimed, but a lower gain preamp tube corrected that.
Anyways, the 250 bucks I spent on it was totally worth it.
And... I checked the serial number, and it is a '57 model. I previously thought it was a '60 model, because that's what the website description said. But, it was only in the store for a day or two before I had them hold onto it for me, so they probably didn't take the time to check too much.

I apologize, clips will have to wait, because it's getting late here and I can't bug the family. But I fully intend to get some up tomorrow.

Discuss?

EDIT: Fixed the pics. Sorry about that.
The clip is in my profile MP3's. Sorry about the shoddy playing
Actually, the rectifier tube is a GE. My bad.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Nov 16, 2008,
Very smexy. I've always been interested in the vintage Gibson amps. Can't wait for teh clipz though.
PICS!!!! WE WANT MOREZ!!!!

I love you DarkArbiter
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Can you guys see the pics? They're not showing up for me...
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
They are working now

Sexxy as hell man!

It looks like it says Gib. 1
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Yeah, something was up with the pics. I think I didn't have them leading to the right URL .

I'm surprised the logo didn't fall off back when it was new. The thing feels like the wire hangers on dollar store christmas ornaments.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I can see no pics....
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Gah, when the page opened I saw the purple first and I was like, "WTF?! LOOK LIKE HIS ROADHOUSE?!!!"
reminds me of that amp ritchie valens carried with that thrashed guitar in that 'La Bamba' movie! lol!!!

i love it!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^It's working fine now. When I posted it wasn't, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well, I wanted to do a size comparison between my CBB and the Skylark.
And yes, I'll get clips up ASAP tomorrow (today, whatever)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator

But i'm in love with it. It's so nice to have something which actually breaks up without shaking the house.
Anyways, today my tone got a makeover with the purchase of my new amp.

Well, first off I got the amp, but I took out the RCA 12AX7 in it, and put it as the V1 in my CBB. That really improved the tone of my CBB. Like, by quite a bit.

Second, since I needed a nice 12AU7 to put in the Skylark (the temporary RCA I had in there to test is seriously microphonic), I took the Sylvania out of my Tube Factor and put it in the Skylark. Once again, it sounded much better than what I had in before.

Finally, since I didn't have a tube in my Tube Factor, I just randomly grabbed my Philips 5751 and tried it in there. Now it's like SRV in a box. It was kind of thin and harsh with the Sylvania 12AU7 in it, but now it's fat and round.

So, today was a bit more than just a new amp day
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
That's cool, man. You stole that thing. Now play it like you stole it!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Damn, the tubes alone were probably worth whatever you payed for it. I almost don't wanna hear the clips since I had to pass on a gibbie amp as it was not working. I'm plenty satisfied with my BJr though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Between that and your CBB, it's pretty much like my ideal setup.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Damn, the tubes alone were probably worth whatever you payed for it. I almost don't wanna hear the clips since I had to pass on a gibbie amp as it was not working. I'm plenty satisfied with my BJr though.

Yeah, that's what I figured, too. The tubes are probably worth as much as the amp. The amp was only sparingly used, too, so the tubes probably still have alot of life left. The amp smells like really old books, though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Touch of mold or mildew I'd say, I think that's what gives old books that smell. Maybe have the repair tech be on the lookout when he recaps it.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Yeah, that's what I figured, too. The tubes are probably worth as much as the amp. The amp was only sparingly used, too, so the tubes probably still have alot of life left. The amp smells like really old books, though.

doesn't matter. the whole deal is worth every penny. tube amps need tubes from time to time. It's like feeding a pet or a car.
Yeah, I'm getting the caps done pretty soon. I just emailed my tech.
The cabinet wood is some red wood. I thought it'd be pine, but it still sounds great.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Bump for the morning crew.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
sweet, It looks and sounds great
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Thanks.
I'm hopefully going to get it serviced within the week. It is a confirmed 1957 though. The speaker (which is what the guys at gibson told me to check for the year) has a 1957 serial, and the power and rectifier tubes are both 1957.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
wow
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Yup, and 1957 was the first year the GA-5 was named the Skylark, so it's a fairly early version.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
how much?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
250 bucks. It came with the original cover too

Anyways, I think it's a steal. I really needed a small amp, and when you compare the 300-something bucks I spent on it after the cap job, it's only a bit more expensive than a BH little giant.
And seeing as the tubes themselves probably cost as much as the amp itself, I'm very happy with my purchase
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
That's a killer deal, man. I'm jealous.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I still want your ampeg, though
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
You seem pretty set on amps.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by darkarbiter7
I still want your ampeg, though

Psssst http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/918311608.html These pop up in St louis quite often, I think there are made here, no?

Again, great find with the gibbie and it's good to hear you were able to improve your tube factor and CBB because of it.
I'm very impressed.. I love gibson amps, the music school where I take violin lessons has one and I made friends with the guitar teacher and tried it. Don't know what model it was, but it sure sounded amazing.

And that sure is a steal, it's great when stores don't know how valuable a particular piece of merchandise is.

By the way, the clips sound great. Strangely enough I almost prefer them to your others!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I want a new amp now....

Nice grab man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Kevin Saale
Psssst http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/918311608.html These pop up in St louis quite often, I think there are made here, no?

Again, great find with the gibbie and it's good to hear you were able to improve your tube factor and CBB because of it.

That's identical to mine except that the faceplate is gone. They used to be made in St. Louis, but they are made overseas now. That particular amp has been discontinued. Considering that, that's a FANTASTIC deal on that amp. They were $800 brand new.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Page 1 of 2