Hi guys, my band is looking forward to recording soon and we were wondering what's about the average to record a cd with maybe 6-8 songs on it, we're based in the Chicago area so if the price is different for my area could you please tell me, thanks.
Depends on the quality of the sound. It can cost upwards of $1000 for ok quality.
Im in the studio now with my band. Just recording a demo. By no means a full length record label debut release. It costs us $150 for 8 hours. Its taken us about 4 sessions to get everything done. Its all individually tracked so it takes a bit longer. Im in Ohio but you can check it out if you'd like. Its not the final mix, and we are wrapping up the other 4 songs tomorrow. Maybe you can just use it as reference for the price vs quality.

http://www.myspace.com/afamiliarencounter
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Anywhere between $150 and $150 000 or more...

Now, I realize that it sounds like I'm being a smart ass, (and I sort of am with that) but let me explain...

That's a tough question. If you want average 'pro' studio rates, you're looking in the area of $100/hr. This will get you an in-house intern or engineer, and the room. An average 'home' studio won't get you the same results, but it can still turn out quite well, depending on the talent of the person recording, the quality of the room they have, and the quality of the gear they have (in that order.) For this, you're looking at $150-250 for a six to eight hour day. I charge $150 for a six hour block in Ontario, an hour outside of Toronto in a city of about 500 000.

I know some amateur studios that will work for $100-$200 per song.

Nonetheless, it usually comes down to not only the cost per hour, but how many hours. At this point, I always tell clients that it comes down to "how much time do you want to spend sweating over how small a detail?" For our CD, we fussed over pretty much every little thing, and took about 8-9 months from first pressing record to having the manufactured disks in our hands. I have recorded a couple of bands that came in and knocked off 6-8 songs - recorded and mixed - in eight hours. Total cost = $150. They didn't sweat much over some things that really surprised me, and when you scrimp on mixing time, those two things together really show in the final product.

As a general guideline, I tell bands to allow two 6-hour days for a three song demo as a good compromise of time vs. quality.

Of course another factor that determines how quickly or slowly you will work is how prepared you are. No matter how prepared you think you are, you're not that prepared usually. Vocals, harmonies, leads, fills, breaks, intros, outros, etc. all need to be worked out in painful detail beforehand, otherwise, what sounded decent enough in practice doesn't quite cut the mustard once it's put under the microscope... or in front of the microphone. And sometimes even then, recording can reveal some surprises.

At my home studio, 6-8 songs would come out to $600-$800, mixed and mastered. At an average pro studio, for the same amount of time, you'd be looking at about $2400 - $3600.

Now, if you go to an average pro studio and want to bring your own engineer, the studio will not give you a cheaper rate. They'll make sure their staff is there anyways to make sure your so-called engineer isn't going to do anything to jeopardize their assets. So, you'll have to pay your own engineer on top of that price. To get a guy with a track record, you can be paying well into the hundreds of thousands for that person just to show up and take off his jacket.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 15, 2008,
lol I should drive my band to you because you are way cheaper than everywhere around here
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
From my expereince, ive found that if you have a rough estimate for how long its going to take you to record, double it. When we went in to do one song, we thought max 1 hr, 2 hrs later we finally finished, the instruments that is. Then mixing had to happen.
Thats the other thing, don't skimp on the mixing stage, you want something that sounds really good not just ok.
Oh and be prepared for long hours doing nothing. Seriously, recording can be really boring.
Quote by xEpidemicx
lol I should drive my band to you because you are way cheaper than everywhere around here

Where are you?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Red Deer, AB
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
If you guys can make it out here, I'll buy lunch...

CT

Quote by axemanchris

My bands from Trenton, Ontario (about 2 hours away from Hamilton). We're looking at recording an EP sometime in december but possibly january. Could you do 4 songs in two 6 hour sessions so we only have to drive up twice?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Probably. That sounds reasonable, but it also comes down to "can *you* do four songs in two six-hour sessions?" Check out www.greenroomrecording.ca and give me a call.

Chris

this is just an idea if you low on cash its a DIY music studio, get a small empty room,lapse it in cardboard then get lots of spong, shove that on the cardbord, you got a decent recording studio
Life is like a box of choclates, ya' never know whats coming next.
This is why every band should invest in a DAW that they can work from. If you demo your own stuff repeatedly, when the time comes to invest in a professoinally done product, you will save time and therefore money, as you will already be comfortable recording, know exactly what needs to be done for each song, and most important, you will be able to assist the engineer in putting up/tearing down gear (or at least know enough to stay the **** out of his way).
my band just spent 5 hours at $35 an hour (3 hours were free from a bar contest we won, so only $70) to get 2 songs done. including mixing time. we spent almost 1 hour sound checking and 1 hour or more even sitting around while he mixed one of the songs, i took the tracks from the second and did it myself.

go in ready to play. the tighter and better you play early makes punch ins(which are SIMPLE) and tempo much easier.

3 hours a song is a safe bet. our first took over 2hours(including mixing), with all of us needing to punchin besides drums. the second we nailed 2nd try. only one punchin out of 4 instruments