Who else is a finger eater? I'm not talking about nail bitters but, people who chew the skin off their fingers. It's actually pretty common among guitar players because they like to chew the calluses right off.

But, with me, I've been doing it for about 6 years now and it has progressed to me not only chewing the calluses, but also the part of my thumb where it gets to the joint area. I'll let heal a little and then just re peal it off. Sometimes I'll even ingest the skin.

It's disgusting and I always feel ashamed whenever I'm around doctors and such. I've searched it on the net and apparently it's a form of self mutilation but just one that's not as popular as cutting yourself.

I hope some sort of medical study is done on this and information is released on what might help at stopping. I've tried many ways but nothing seems to work. The problem is, I catch myself doing it without even knowing that I'm doing it... sigh.
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
I've been doing it since 3rd grade (I'm in 11th now).
I told my self I would quit when I picked up guitar, but still do it.
You would find dead pieces of skin alllll along my strings, it was horrid.

MC name = Bearrorism
Its weird. My ex girlfriend used to do that when she was nervous, and it got to the point that she would do it all the time. I made her stop(by saying stop and pulling her hands down) and she stopped for months, then her boyfriend broke up with her and she does it again.

Its just a habit, you just have to force yourself to stop and have self control. Its just like any other habit. It can be broken with enough self control.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I never tear the skin off.

Actually, I don't bite my fingers at all. I do, however, gnaw at my arm during class and see how long it takes people to notice.

The ladies love me.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by brandon369852
Its weird. My ex girlfriend used to do that when she was nervous, and it got to the point that she would do it all the time. I made her stop(by saying stop and pulling her hands down) and she stopped for months, then her boyfriend broke up with her and she does it again.

Its just a habit, you just have to force yourself to stop and have self control. Its just like any other habit. It can be broken with enough self control.

Was that boyfriend you?
Weekend Warrior
I thought i was the only one but yep i hate the habit i have of it same as TS's i'm trying to learn some self control but its become a habit
Quote by guylee
that's gross. what the hell is wrong with you

Portugal. The Man »–
I've never been a nail biter or a finger eater.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
I bite my callouses... heh
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by ToastYerLicks
I never tear the skin off.

Actually, I don't bite my fingers at all. I do, however, gnaw at my arm during class and see how long it takes people to notice.

The ladies love me.

yes i'm sure the ladies love you.

anywho, i don't chew my fingers but i do bite my nails (the lesser of two evils)
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

i don't bite, i pick

i'm getting better, my man motivates me to stop... but it's seriously more of a psychological issue. so. i try as hard as i can.

P.S. I'm a womanfolk! : )
sraeb

Quote by Trefellin
Show me your erection or gtfo... please.
Yeah my parents are always telling me that it's something wrong in my brain! Awesome job parents.

I think it is psychological a bit though too. Maybe stress related... who knows.
Portugal. The Man »–
I sometimes bite my fingers when I'm thinking. Not hard or anything, just enough that it won't fall out if I let my arm go limp.

No worries, mate, if you're off your rocker - I'm probably just as far gone.
Hell, I've been doing that since I can remember. I never thought anything of it before, other than don't do it in front of people. But self mutilation? Jesus.
Guilty.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
try eating food. and leave your fingers alone!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
I'll bite dead pieces of skin off if they're hanging or causing an issue like uncomfort but what you're describing sounds nasty.
I do this really bad..

Like if i go swimming or have a shower my skin goes soft and everything and you can actually see every single bitemark, my fingers look mutilated..

Its at the point where I bite them till they bleed and then I realize I'm doing it when it starts to hurt.. D=
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
yeah i always chew the calluses of my fingers, dunno why, it doesnt even taste of anything.
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
I always chew my finger tips and the bit of skin covering the bottom of the nail - Occasionally it'll rip into the proper skin and start bleeding... its really quite fun
yep I do it, I've never met anyone else who does it either : o
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Used to when I was a kid. Somehow I just stopped. Don't even know how or why (I got laid lol)

Nowadays I bite my lip instead. Back to step one >_>