alright i want to change my tubes. i'm hoping itll get rid of some nasty stuff that happens when i crank the pre (power is fine, just wanna change em anyways lol). now dont heckle me about something is up with my amp, cuz im most certain it isnt. i just have shoddy chinese tubes that are pretty old now -_-.

so i want JJ's all across for my VHT 100/cl. if it matters i play metal and i dont scoop mids and of course, like most of us, i like big boom . but if u can suggest any better tubes for my specific amp go for it, ill consider it. what i want to get are some e34l's and ecc83s's (one balanced for the phase inverter perhaps). if there are any combination of preamp tubes that u can suggest that might be cool go for it but i like to keep things simple and pain free. so dont confuse me with "get 18 different tubes and swap em out every 2 days until u find a good combination" cuz im not patient enuf for that and im not that anal about my tone to go looking for the holy grail or something. i just want to clean up the nasty that the pre's give. but again, suggest away ill consider.

now i know about eurotubes but i heard that sometimes they come broken and they wont refund, which doesnt sound good to me -_-. but has anyone heard of this, any bad experiences. better places to buy JJ's or is this jj megastore if u will simply the best regardless if there is a slight chance i may get a broken tube and risk having to shell out a couple more bucks to replace it.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
dougstubes

He makes peoples amps happy.....

Tell him what you want from your amp, and he will suggest the best options for you
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
yeah but i dont want anything rebranded or something too expensive (nos) and that simply just narrows it down to JJ. but i could give it a try maybe.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
He doesnt sell rebranded or nos (that i know of dont quote me on that).

He sells a lot of JJ's and tung sol's...

just trust me on this one.... he is a proven seller and a worthy choice
i emailed him, ill see what he says. i emailed the JJ guy a long time ago and he gave me a lot of advice and info on tubes and practically wrote me an essay which was nice. showed that he really cares but im guessing doug has a good rep?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Doug has a really solid rep. Just tell him what you dont like about your amp and what you wish it had or sounded like, and he will do his best to try and get that from your amp.
I like tubedepot.com
I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Their preowned old stock deals are great.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yeah i kinda liked how he asks what exactly u wish ur amp could do. could be as good as u guys say. we'll see. this is my first tube purchase and i just dont know what to expect. i dont know if i want breakup early or not or hi gain tubes or not. supposedly the hi gain JJ's have more articulation but i honestly dont need more gain >_>. then theres gold pins and such. -_-. all so confusing. hopefully this doug guy clears stuff up. tone just has too many factors it disgusts me. leads me to care less about it.

TONES IN THE FINGERS

but good gear helps .
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
You want your amp to be happy too

High gain pre-tubes does not necessarily equate more gain in the amp overall... it gives your amp more articulation and adds dynamics to your playing

break up early will cause your amp to sound more "brootal" at lower volumes and cause your amp to distort more easily, BUT you sacrifice clean tone in the long run.

Gold pins do improve quality of sound but not as much as some people say.
lol i like ur use of brootal but honestly i just crank the betch. i do need my clean tones so im supposing i just want mondo head room and that will maintain my tight low end since id lose it with too much power dist that causes that flub and compression ppl like. i dont think i'd like it but im just curious to hear it .

i suppose i may want hi gain tubes but i dont knows.....maybe after i try some regular ones and im still lacking something ill try em. what do you think?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
I think the high gain pre-amp tubes... hell... even 1(one) in the 2nd or 3rd gain stage (depends on how many are in the amp) would make a difference in dynamics and then just stick with quality pre-amp tubes for the rest.

Doug will tell you what to put in each spot

IE

Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1

Seiguang 12AX7 in V2

Tung Sol High Gain in V3

etc
etc

He will take care of you
i sure hope so .

i have 4 pre tubes. one is capped im guessing thats the phase inverter since its also the closest to the power amp tubes. and for w/e reason i have one 12ax7 hanging on the side wall of the chassis.... thats odd to me >_>. its like a spare tube holder lol. quite ridiculous if u ask me. is that normal in my amp or any amp for that matter cuz i havent seen it anywhere else. i think the last owner added that for gig emergencies.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
i sure hope so .

i have 4 pre tubes. one is capped im guessing thats the phase inverter since its also the closest to the power amp tubes. and for w/e reason i have one 12ax7 hanging on the side wall of the chassis.... thats odd to me >_>. its like a spare tube holder lol. quite ridiculous if u ask me. is that normal in my amp or any amp for that matter cuz i havent seen it anywhere else. i think the last owner added that for gig emergencies.

Quite possibly.... unless its for the F/X loop...but normally thtat would be with the others.....
ha nvm the capped one is the first one and the closest one to the power tubes isnt capped it just is not in line with the others. i went to check. i wanted to take em out and put em back in just for the heck of it but the rear cage thingy was too hard to take off and my screwdrivers are in the garage and its late and im in pj's and its prolly cold and im just too lazy lmao. ill go tmrw maybe.

that wouldnt do any harm tho right?? taking em out and putting em back in. possibly swapping out a preamp tube with that extra i have. maybe mix around the pre's. definitely wont mix the power tubes lol. i know that much -_-. if anything im just "cleaning" the sockets right lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
You can absolutely do that, just make sure the power tubes end up where they started.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Umm... make sure they are all the same before switching them randomly.... you can probably find a layout online somewhere of which tube is what.
You can change out pre amp tubes, it's the big bottles you have to worry about.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
You can change out pre amp tubes, it's the big bottles you have to worry about.

This is true, but if it is designed with a high gain in V3 and he switches it to V1 his amp will most certainly sound different.... Also... if his phase inverter is in V4 and he puts it in V1.... i dont know what will happen.
All the preamp tubes in your amp should be the same. The tube that's capped is probably V1 (the first input) which would make it most susceptible to noise, thus it's capped to prevent noise.

Eurotubes is fine if you just want JJs, but since that's all he sells it's kind of limiting. I use tube depot and have had no problems and since they aren't too far away they get to my house in two days.

As far as tubes go I'm not sure, but if you think your amp is dark or doesn't need to be darker then I'd stay away from JJs, they can make a dark amp into a muddy amp since they are pretty dark tubes. They sound good in brighter amps, but they get muddy in dark amps. Tung sols are pretty bright so if you think your amp could use some brightening up then a tung sol or two wouldn't be a bad choice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i believe my amp is a bright amp. i think most would agree. so i suppose JJ's would be a good choice but i hear the pre's fail quick and the power tube's have short pins causing them to arc and i honestly dont wanna risk it -_-. so im not sure what to do. but all this tube talk is killing me. makes u wanna use a SS. just wish it was so much simpler.

its always something.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
LOL you pay a price for good tone .... literally
o and btw i dont plan to be a dumass and mix the pre tubes lol. i just had a thot like hmm i might swap that extra tube in there for fun and see if i hear anything different but i cant even open it and im so busy tomorrow i dont think i will. but i think im just gonna leave em alone.

is a rattling noise like a dead light bulb clue a dead pre tube?? cuz when im cranking and i hit really resonant notes if u listen carefully (lol under all the massive volume) u can hear a certain rattling i believe is in the amp. i could be mistaken and its simply something in the house rattling cuz im afraid my door is going to fall off soon cuz it shakes frightfully.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
If you have it up loud enough to rattle the walls then it could easily be something in the room. Having a head and cab eliminates tube rattle or so I thought.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Brendan.Clace
dougstubes

He makes peoples amps happy.....

Tell him what you want from your amp, and he will suggest the best options for you

+1
email Doug at Dougs Tubes. I've ordered many sets of tubes from him, and only had a problem with one set, which he quickly replaced. He's got a great rep.

Also, you can mix preamp tubes all you want, you just want to be sure and get a matched set of powertubes. There is no problem with mixing preamp tubes to experiment.

about the PI, some people want a balanced pre for the phase inverter/driver tube, but it's not really necessary. The whole circuit would also need to be balanced to really see a benefit.

V1 is the input tube, which should be the quietest. It's preferable to have a high grade tube in that spot, because any noise there gets amplified thru the signal path.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Nov 15, 2008,
alright doug got back to me. ruby el34bstr, a sovtek 12ax7 WB in V1 since VHT says so i assume, ive seen what VHT recommends that thus far thats all he has done but he also said to use penta lab 12ax7's for the rest of the slots. those i believe will warm up the amp.

i'm just wondering if i need to shell out 70 bucks for new power tubes when im certain the current power tubes arent too old. i think ill just get the pre amp tubes. but if i changed the power tubes would it honestly make a big diference?? considering that im not really going to be seeing any breakup anyways. not to mention the loudest i go is at noon on master. so would it be a good idea to save that money and just get those tubes when they finally go out? i'm sure that is the better idea but im more interested if it would really matter much if i changed them. like would i notice any difference?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!