I have $400-500, thats USD, and I'm in the market for an amp. The main tones I want are those that I named in the title, but a nice Randy Rhoads and Hendrix tone would be nice too. Oh and I want good cleans, the ability to do blues by putting a tubescreamer in front of the clean channel and giggable volume. I'll be using a modded Strat or a Gibson V. So, what should I get? I was thinking maybe a Bugera halfstack if I could afford one, or maybe a used 5150 or Marshall JCM 900. Would a Peavey Classic 30 be good for that? Thanks
If you can get a JCM 900 that would be good, but stay away from the MGs.
I've heard awesome things about the Bugera. Save a bit more and get a combo (you don't really need a half stack most of the time).
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
umm used JCM800 or peavey classic 300...

and after playing a peavey windsor today...i'd recommend one of those too lol...but those get crunchy early...but damn do they sound great!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I would love a windsor but I only hear bad things, and i hear they have no cleans. plus i don't really need 120 watts. whats the cheapest i could get a JCM 800, you think?
Hey, keep checking but here's some stuff to consider. If it was my $500 I would at least look and try some of these amp to get a handle. If you can stretch, then great. Or wait. These were all posted in the last week in the Cinci area.

JCM 800 combo $800 (stretch please)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/917897134.html

Carvin Legacy $700 (maybe...don't know too much about - stretch again)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/916137990.html

Peavey XXL stack $400 (i hear good things but not tube amp, not stereo amp)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/915385586.html

JCM 900 combo $600
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/910521189.html

Rivera Clubster 45w combo $650 (maybe)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/909571688.html

Mesa F40? (wut) 4x10 combo $600 (worth checking)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/907466877.html

Traynor YCV80 combo $600 (sweetness)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/904573976.html

?? Soldano wut?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/900744674.html

other stuff........................................
Quote by slash_rocks2005
umm used JCM800 or peavey classic 300...

and after playing a peavey windsor today...i'd recommend one of those too lol...but those get crunchy early...but damn do they sound great!

+1

I didn't see any Classic 30s but that doesn't mean they are not out there. Especially in Ohio. Big music state imo. I played a Windsor the other day and I was actually surprised at how 'clean' it was. Worth a look too....
Ok thanks. I think what I'll probably do is get a job, wait 2 months and get a JCM 800 half stack, with a 2x12 not 4x12. I only have 2 gigs during that time, but then the spring is where i'll have more, sweet though. any more recomendations though? and thanks yall
That's not a real Soldano. A real Soldano will cost you way way way more than that. It's a Soldano combo with Yamaha stuff in it(which may have been designed by Soldano). Go for Marshall 3203.
^I like all the suggestion but the rocket. I've never seen a rocket like that, but the subway rockets were all mid gain amps and very american. Judging from the 4x10 combo format it's probably some type of fenderish kind of deal (pretty typically of mesa)

Everything else looks good though, the traynor can definitely do some marshally sounds, just don't expect much break up unless you pull some tubes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I realize that. That' why I have a ?? and a wut?
There were several other jokes in my thread. Glad you can search craigslist. You're welcome and good luck.

Oh, sorry bro. I kinda thought about that but I just put that there in case you were serious.
I'll throw in one more recommendation:

Traynor YCV50. 650 bucks at proaudiostar's eBay store.
It's probably the best Marshall-voiced production line amp under 1000 bucks that's still in production. Perfect for what you play.

I'm fairly sure that Traynor YCV80 is an American voiced amp.

The JCM900 is a little modern for the tones you're asking for, IMO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'll throw in one more recommendation:

Traynor YCV50. 650 bucks at proaudiostar's eBay store.
It's probably the best Marshall-voiced production line amp under 1000 bucks that's still in production. Perfect for what you play.

I'm fairly sure that Traynor YCV80 is an American voiced amp.

The JCM900 is a little modern for the tones you're asking for, IMO.

The 900 would be good for GNR kind of stuff, Van Halen too.

Slash uses later Marshall amps with diodes for gain in the preamp anyways, so the 900 wouldn't be too far off. Later 80s JCM 800s too.

See if you can score a 2205 or a 2210.

The Traynor YCV40 is more british voiced though. It would be good for what he wants.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I personally recommend a JCM800 clone - because, sadly, most of the clones out there sound better than the modern JCM800's.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The YCV40s and YCV80s are american voiced unless other tubes are put into it.

^I hope you know forsakn has/had a YCV40.

So what? I've played through them too. I could coax a fine JCM style tone out of the drive channel of those amps. It's how you dial it in that's important.

The voicing of the amp isn't all about what tubes are in it. It's how the amps are wired up. I've played many 6L6 loaded amps that would give a Marshall a run for it's money.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I personally recommend a JCM800 clone - because, sadly, most of the clones out there sound better than the modern JCM800's.

Can you give a list of reliable ones?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Can you give a list of reliable ones?

Ceriatone is the first one that comes to mind.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So what? I've played through them too. I could coax a fine JCM style tone out of the drive channel of those amps. It's how you dial it in that's important.

The voicing of the amp isn't all about what tubes are in it. It's how the amps are wired up. I've played many 6L6 loaded amps that would give a Marshall a run for it's money.

I agree with you you, somewhat. I have a YCV40, and I can get some great British tones from it. But I have KT77's in it now. Gave me more of that midrange punch I wanted.

The YCV50 is much better for British stuff.

Also, the JCM900 would be good for GnR, but not for early Van Halen. Early VH is what I always think when I see someone mention VH.
Yeah, the tones from Van Halen 1 i would want to be able to get with a Phase 90. I played a cranked JTM 45 today, which was simply AMAZING, I also played a JCM 2000 at about half volume and it sounded amazing. What do you think about a DSL head and a 2x12?
Quote by SaulnierE
Yeah, the tones from Van Halen 1 i would want to be able to get with a Phase 90. I played a cranked JTM 45 today, which was simply AMAZING, I also played a JCM 2000 at about half volume and it sounded amazing. What do you think about a DSL head and a 2x12?

Not a big fan of the JCM 2000 series. Not really a true tube amp in the sense.

The new block letter Phase 90 won't get you that Van Halen tone.

If you must get a 2000 though, get the DSL50. I liked it much better than the 100.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
How is it not a true tube amp? And I don't want 100 watts, whatever i get would be 50 or lower
Quote by SaulnierE
How is it not a true tube amp? And I don't want 100 watts, whatever i get would be 50 or lower

It is a tube amp, but it gets some of the gain from diodes. In layman's term, that means the amp has solid-state componants in the preamp to give it more gain.

They aren't bad amps, even later model 800s and 900s had diodes in the preamp.

You'd probably like a 900 better though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster