Just out of curiosity would a Buckers metal cover cut the tone slightly or not.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
I would'nt think so I would think the way the covers are designed would work around that plus if you think about how a pickup works you would think the metal cover would boost the the magnetic field!???
A metalic box forms a Faraday cage. It protects the coils from external static, so I guess it must have its influence on the sound the coils produce.
something ive wondered for a while. what is the difference between nickel and chrome?
The metal covers contribute to shielding the pickup from interference, as they act as a faraday cage (as Withakay pointed out).

Covered pickups sound smoother because the cover becomes magnetic, along with the polepieces, changing the shape of the field. It evens out the field, resulting in fewer "dead spots" between polepieces, and it also widens it along the length of the strings, resulting in a more even distribution of harmonic response (I think).

I heard that single coils have a thin bright tone because of their narrow magnetic field. A humbucker with a metal cover would have a much wider field, thus appropriately, a warmer tone. Not sure why it's that way, but it seems to be true, judging by the gutiars I've played.
I dunno about this, I've been hearing a lot of the opposite or how there are certain like, variables to all this.

From sound videos I've watched and heard, and people I've heard talking about this, pickup covers of low quality and pickups of low quality are more affected by the cover being on or off.

I've heard Gibson covers and pickups are not affected so much by this since they're made with a higher quality standard in mind versus like an LTD, or an Epiphone or something.

Of course I may be wrong.. >_< I dunno.

But the one thing I have noticed though in a video of someone using the same Epi LP, the covers don't seem to affect the sound if it's being played with gain/dirty. However clean, the covers sounded a lot move smooth and warm, versus the pickups by themselves sounding more crisp.

Of course I'm no expert, I dunno really. x_x
My main squeeze is a
Gibson Explorer '76 Reissue
Epiphone pickups are heavily affected by the covers; it takes away quite a bit of treble.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
most of the time, taking off the covers makes little or no difference.

exception being cheaper stock, covered pups.

when the covers are removed from those pickups, you will notice a little more bite, if you can manage to get the cover off without damaging the pup.

the problem is finding a company that makes lower end, covered stock pickups.

schecter and like said, epi, come to mind.

the big tone difference came a long time ago, when the metal used for covers interferred with the signal. now it's not a big issue, and in some cases is barely noticable thru most amps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Humbucker covers bleed a little treble due to capacitance between the coils and the cover itself. If the covers weren't grounded it wouldn't have this effect, but then they wouldn't shield against interference, which kinda defeats the purpose of having them on there.

Quote by sashki
I heard that single coils have a thin bright tone because of their narrow magnetic field. A humbucker with a metal cover would have a much wider field, thus appropriately, a warmer tone. Not sure why it's that way, but it seems to be true, judging by the gutiars I've played.

I think the difference in tone between single coils and humbuckers comes from the fact in a humbucker you have two coils wound in series. As inductive reactance increases as the frequency does, guitar pickups already have a tendency to attenuate higher frequencies. When you go ahead and double that impedance again, well, kinda speaks for itself.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
from my experience, i like the tone of uncovered pups better. but then again theyve been on epis, so that might be the problem
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
what about plastic covers like EMGs? do they affect tone in any significant way?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian
what about plastic covers like EMGs? do they affect tone in any significant way?

doubt it. never tried. thing is that plastic isnt magnetic.

i still dont know how chrome and nickel differ though. cant find information on that anywhere.
Quote by no_thing101
doubt it. never tried. thing is that plastic isnt magnetic.

i still dont know how chrome and nickel differ though. cant find information on that anywhere

They won't--except for the thin layer of chrome on top, it is in many cases identical to a nickel cover (nickel is underneath the chrome).

Covers will roll off some of the high end, which is what has been said here already about being "warmer".
Quote by no_thing101
so nickel covers still are covered in chrome?

I was saying if you take the layer of chrome off a chrome cover you will go down to nickel. A "nickel" cover is not chromed.
Quote by 4regt4
I was saying if you take the layer of chrome off a chrome cover you will go down to nickel. A "nickel" cover is not chromed.

i see.