Beginners Song Program Version 4.0
I've finally finished working on the new version of the list! This, to me, is probably the best, as well as most advanced version of the program. It uses multiple features to create an interative experience and one that helps guitarists build up there skills.
Of corse, there may still be a few minor bugs, small things I've missed out, however, please post all these errors in this thread
and ill address them as soon as I can.
Ok, So lets go over some of the features.Visitor Features
- Better URL! The new URL is http://ug.cybanworld.com Which is alot better than the previous URLs (which were long and hard to remember).
- Better, cleaner design and layout. The new layout is designed to fit on your browser without the need to scroll down. Therefore, there are no longer any massive lists, no having to scroll down through 700 or so records to look for songs.
- Recently Added List. The recently added list has been kept from the previous version, and should be working more efficiently now.
- Leaderboard. In the previous version, the leaderboard had to be updated manually (mainly because it wasnt originally designed to have a leaderboard and therefore, needed SQL to manually count and store points. Now, whenever a song is submitted, the point is added.
- Moderators. To provide some recognition to the users who help maintain the list, the "moderator" list has become default (no need to press a link to view users).
- Ajax Options. Because some people may not like the AJAX features, you now have the ability to turn it off. The might help some users view the list and get around the site more faster.
- Reporting feature This new feature allows you to report songs that are posted by advertisers, robots, and stupid visitors. These can then be brought to the attention faster of a moderator.
The "My Development" is a brand new feature introduced to this new version. Its gone a step further in guitar training, and has been fully integrated into the main songs list.
The "My Development" program allows you to create a list of songs, scales and lessons which you can use to learn new skills and songs on the guitar. This new sub program has alot of advanced features:
My Development - Signing upTo sign up:
- Adding Songs: To add a song to your development list, you need to search for a song on the main list. Once you've found one, click it and look towards the bottom of the page where it says Add To Plan. Click this, fill out the form and click Add.
This will now be added to your development plan.
- The "My Development" homepage. After logging in, you will be presented with your development list. On the left, you have your navigation menu, which allows you to access your list, add scales, change settings, and logout.
Further below that you will see a red dashed box. This will display your overall progressed based on the information you provide about the songs in your list.
- Editing a song You can edit songs on your list by clicking "Edit" next to the corrisponding song. This will bring up the edit form. On this form, you can change the title of the song, which section you want the song to go under (IE: easy, harder, challenging... You can create your own sections). One of the main things to point out is the Progress form. You can use this to pick out how far you are to learning the particular song / scale / lesson.
Another point is the start and end dates. You can use these to construct a time scale of how long you want it to take to complete the learning of the song / scale / lesson. You can then use this tool to see if you are on track or not.
Its incredibly simple to signup. Ideally, all you need to provide an email address, although this isn't required.
Enter (or dont) an email email address into the box provided. Then click the "Create" button. This will instantly provide you with a pin number on the same page. This will be your account number, and to login, all you need to do is enter this number into the login box.Warning:
If you do not enter your email address, if you forget your pin, your development list will be lost.
Your email address will not be sold / given away / lost / displayed / etc to anyone. It will remain only on my server, and only very trusted, limited volunteers who must
checks on Ultimate-Guitar will have access to it.Ajax Features
The new version utilizes more AJAX than any previous version. For those that dont know what AJAX is, here is a brief description.
In effect, it removed the need to constantly refresh your browser to load up new content.
This has been a minor feature since version 2 of the program, and has been fully integrated into version 4.
The new ajax features include:
- Search Suggestions For those who have used iGoogle, whenever you type something into the search box, it automatically suggests search terms. This new version uses this technology to suggest artists / titles / usernames / tunings whenever you submit a song.
These suggestions pop up in a small box below the input box. If you see the artist etc that you want to use, you simply need to click on the name of it, and it will automatically insert into into the input box (to save you typing it all in yourself).
- Automatic status When you add a song, report a song, add a song to your plan, you will be able to view whether it was successfully accepted by the server or not, without having to refresh the page, or redirect the browser to another page.
- Searching for songs The song search feature has undergone a major change. In previous versions of the site, everytime you entered a new character into the search box, it would automatically refresh the list. This created big loads of the server, and slowed down browsers. With the new version, it will only update the song list if you enter a space, or click the search button. This will improve loading times and reliability.
- Displaying Songs Songs are now displayed in a page format instead of a huge list. there are 17 songs per page. This again, will make loading of song lists faster.
- Default list When you click on "guitar songs", "bass songs" or "lessons" the entire list is displayed (paged) by default. To reduce this list, enter an artist / title etc.
Unfortunatly, this was not something I wanted to introduce. However, there has been a massive increase in visitors to the site in recent month, and therefore has increased the amount of bandwidth (and time spent building and maintaining the application). Therefore I have introduced advertising (by google).
However, If anyone would like to advertise on the site, such as selling guitars online, advertising your own website etc, you may do so, for the cost of £1 per day (payable through paypal). You can choose how many days you wish to post an advert.
Also, you may provide your own adverts / banners / towers etc, or I will be able to create a simple one for your. For more information, please PM me.
(also please click on adverts you are interested in as it will help me out with paying for the server
The new version has a more advanced administration panel. This new panel allows moderators to quickly, and much more easier than before find mallicious entries (posted by bots etc) and delete from the list.
Therefore, please dont post these types of songs, as they will be deleted promptly
Other than that, thats it!
I hope you enjoy the new program, as it took alot
of time programming it and making sure it runs smoothly.
If you do find a bug, or something i've missed, please post it in this thread
and ill try fix it as soon as possible.
If you would like to help out with the program, please either post in this thread, or PM me directly.
You will need to undergo Ultimate-Guitar Blackbook checks, so if you have been banned from Ultimate-Guitar in the past, please note, you probably wont be accepted.
If you get a PM back from me, then you have, if you dont, then you havent.