Please keep in mind that we give thousands of hours and years in our instrument and thus we over-train our muscles too much as compared to a normal person and any wrong habit can easily lead to injury.
So, let’s find out why it happens.
In my case, there came the wrist pain. I drive, I play guitar for 4 hours and then drive again. I never used a strap or anything like that.
Any guitarist who practices a lot can suffer wrist pain. It mostly happens to your fretting hand that forms chords on the guitar fretboard
A quality guitar performance wants stronger tendon muscles. Strain comes when you –
- Apply enough force to press on strings for playing ultra-clear notes
- Bend the wrist around the guitar neck and shift your fingers rapidly
- Sometimes do wide-stretch with your little finger (this give extra strain on tendons)
- You do repetitive movements of same types and keep giving strain on tendons
So here I share 5 Prevention Tips with you to avoid such risks –
- Always do a simple warm up exercise – One simple thing is to have a rubber ball and squeeze it few times i.e. a minute or so (note that this is a prevention and not cure). Don’t do it when you are injured as it will aggravate the pain. But this is a good one, recommended workout for guitar players.
- Strengthen your wrist muscles – Give it more strength by doing simple wrist exercise with a light dumbbell in each hand. This exercise is performed by moving your wrist back and forth for 8-10 repetitions in 1 round. Do it for 3-4 rounds for about few minutes.
- Relax in-between playing – Shake your hands to throw off the tension. Change your motions, relax, walk, talk, shake, drink etc. i.e. just break the monotony of your hands.
- Improve your skills gradually – Approach your exercises carefully. It’s dangerous to jump to hardcore exercise without building the base for it. You have to reach to a hardcore training level step by step.
- Don’t grip the guitar neck too tight
- Use Strap – Use a strap to hold Guitar neck in a diagonal way rather horizontal. Playing without strap adds unwanted tension to your wrist whereas using the strap take off that tension. And above all, it makes your playing very smooth and more controlled.
So friends if we care our hands they will play a lot better music.
And I wish you all the best in your guitar journey.
Love & Regards
Kapil Srivastava from www.guitaristindia.com