In this video countdown, I'll play one by one, the top 7 Red Hot Chili Peppers riffs from their discography - at the end of the video I'll teach you how to play each riff in an easy step by step breakdown for beginners.
7. "By The Way"Perhaps one of the easiest riffs in the countdown, "By the Way" is introduced with a basic power chord guitar riff and a guitar tone that is so uniquely John Frusciante.
6. "Scar Tissue"No other RHCP riff will make you want to take a desert road trip with your buds more than this riff and song (...other than "Road Trippin'").
5. "Can't Stop"This riff is just loaded with funk! Don't forget to mute those strings for the best possible percussive Frusciante sound!
4. "Otherside"Together with "By the Way," perhaps the easiest riff of the bunch. What it lacks in complexity it makes up for in pure melodic genius. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have mastered simple yet beautiful melodies over their career and this is perhaps their best example.
3. "Snow (Hey Oh)"The only riff that comes from any of their last 3 albums - "Snow (Hey Oh)" has a fast riff that will give your fingers a good stretch! Viewed as the best song from "Stadium Arcadium" by many, "Snow" gave us perhaps one of John's last genius guitar riffs for the RHCP's.
2. "Californication"A genius guitar riff built off of two chords, "Californication" has become one of the most recognized guitar riffs/intros in modern rock. "Californication" showcases the true chemistry between Flea, Chad and John that is so fluid and genuine.
1. "Under the Bridge"Few songs in history have a guitar intro this epic. "Under the Bridge" ends our countdown with a guitar riff that is so bare, raw and beautiful it sounds good on any guitar! Top the song off with a killer chorus and outro, and "Under the Bridge" takes the cake for the Red Hot Chili Peppers' best guitar riff and possibly their best song of all time.
What are your thoughts? Any songs that I left out? It was tough choosing from their massive catalogue but I'm sure most of you will agree on atleast 4-5 of these guitar riffs!
N.B. I'm aware that these riffs were all built for a Strat. I unfortunately had to make do with my Les Paul.
By Dave Tran