7 "Secrets To Keep You Rocking Over 40 And Beyond!
All musicians that are obsessed with their talent wish for nothing more than a successful music career even after the age of 40. Here are 7 tips to help you along, not necessarily in any particular order.
01. Appearance: Face it. People are judging you on your looks at least to some degree. You can jump up and down and say it's not fair, and while you might get a good work out it won't change a damn thing. Just accept it and make the necessary changes. Start taking pride in your appearance. When was the last time you changed you hairstyle? Are you still wearing your flannel from the 90's or parachute pants from the 80's? Take a look at some music magazines. I'm not talking about your 30 year collection of Guitar Player magazines either. Get some current issues and see what everyone is wearing. There are many looks out there to pick from; you don't need to be super skinny or a fashion model to pull them off either. You want to look your best on stage, have awestruck fans, you have to look good, and a beer belly just doesn't cut it. Clean does, fashionable does, good body shape does, and looking healthy does. This brings me to my next point.
02. Health I (Exercise): Rough, tired looking skin and achy, unenthusiastic bodies can only mean you are lacking something. Do you exercise? If not then join the human race! There is no way to keep the youthful vitality without some kind or workout regimen. You are in show business after all. I can hear some of you say, No, I am musician. Right you are in show business! Very few actors do not exercise. This is not just some nice hobby to have. It is part of the business. If you want to be in this business well into your 40's, 50's, and 60's and beyond, you need to get an exercise program in place right now!
03. Health II (Diet): The older you get the more this becomes a factor. Do yourself a huge favour. Don't wait until your doctor tells you that you have clogged arteries or that you are borderline diabetic. Start adding healthy foods to your diet right now. This doesn't mean that you can't have anything tasty. You can still eat what you like, but the word is moderation. However, you must include good for you foods and supplements.
04. Experience: You can practice until you fingers bleed but at some point, you have to get out of the basement and on to the stage. The first time you do it, you may find that you know a lot less than you think. Congratulations! You have just had a major learning experience. You will get better with time. It's not that you are stupid or don't know what you are doing. The stage is a completely different animal. It is more about mastering yourself than mastering your instrument.
05. Dedication: You may have asked yourself Do I have what it takes? The only thing that you really need is a burning desire that is so strong that you will allow nothing to get in the way of your goals. Once you have that, then you can answer this question with a resounding, Yes!
06. Practice: Set aside time on a regular basis, preferably everyday to work on playing, or singing things that you don't know. The temptation here is to play all the stuff that you are good at, because it makes you sound good. Resist this ego trip. Don't be afraid to totally suck, just like you did when you first started. This is the only way to grow successfully!
07. Rest: Are you having trouble coming up with the last verse to that hit song that you've been pounding away at? Maybe you need to just chill and come back to it tomorrow. We are so busy trying to do more and more that we forget the value of true rest. This is how the body and the mind rejuvenate; most of us are not getting enough rest to reset our systems. This leads to frustration, burn out, early aging, and weight gain. You will be a lot more productive with adequate sleep, than you ever will with pushing yourself self, day in and day out. Get more sleep and get more done!
Lou Lombardi is a musician and motivational author and educator. He works with musicians helping them create sustainability, vitality, and longevity.