Make Money In Your Music Career By Avoiding These 5 Mistakes

Different ways to achieve great success while working in the music industry.

0
If you think that finding the most effective ways to make good money in the music industry is "wrong", then do not bother reading this article. Now if you are still reading-good. In this article, I am going to talk about different ways that you can effectively achieve great success while working in the music industry. This includes being able to make a stable living from your music career and(if you Act on the given advice) making much more money than the average musician. Most musicians seek to "make it" in the music industry but have a high degree of uncertainty when it comes to the idea of making A Lot of money and supporting themselves through their music career. This causes them to push away their ultimate desire of a career in music in order to work in a "stable" job outside of the musical industry (that they usually hate). Unfortunately, these musicians end up working full time in their day jobs and experience great frustration as they realize that they are wasting their musical potential. This is something I see All The Time as a music career mentor. In truth, achieving great financial success while working on your music career is not as difficult as you might think. In addition, you don't need to be a big time rock star to make good money in the music business. However, in order to become financially free in your music career, you will need to take a very different approach than the one that is taken by most musicians. You will need to approach your music career as both a "musical artist" and as a businessman (or woman). You must run your career as a business, where your primary goal is to add as much value as possible to your fans, other bands, music company officials, and other people in the business of music. The reason why so many musicians do not make much money with music is because they are not aware that music is a business (and needs to be treated as such). These people fail because they are not mentally ready to achieve great things in the music industry. Find out how ready you are to reach success in the music industry by taking this short assessment on how to pursue a career in music. Important: Finish this assessment first, before reading the rest of this article. Besides not being prepared to achieve success in the business side of music, many musicians fail to make a decent income in their careers because they make the following mistakes: Not Taking The Time To Set Up Various Music Related Sources Of Income It is common for musicians to treat their music career in the same manner that they have treated any other job that they have had. They expect a single paycheck at the end of an established period of time from doing a "single" activity. Unfortunately, this approach will not help you to achieve financial success in the music business. In order to make a good living in your music career, you must stop thinking from the mindset of obtaining a single sum of money as your main goal. Instead, you must work to build many different sources of musical income that go into your bank account on an ongoing, residual basis. By taking this approach, it becomes much easier to make a lot of money from music. In fact, musicians who use this method will save themselves time as well (because they do not have to continually work to get a paycheck). This enables them to have more freedom to pursue things such as writing music, touring and performing, or recording in the studio. In the end, it is important to have income coming in from both your active efforts and your past efforts that you already took the time to set up (that continue to make you money). Additionally, by approaching your music career in this manner, you will feel much more stable since you will not be dependent on any single source of income to pay your bills. Not Working To Continually Add Value To Others In The Music Business There is one very important concept to understand if you are going to pursue a career in music. Whether you are a touring musician, music teacher, producer, session player, songwriter, or are involved in any other occupation, the people who will pay you money to work with you will need to have a reason to pick you from the thousands of other musicians following the same path. At first, this may seem pretty hopeless, but in reality the amount of competition you face is not a major factor. Why is this? Fact is, most musicians are too busy focusing on their musical skills while not focusing on building as much "value" around themselves as possible. Your musical skills (no matter how great they may be) is only one element of "value". The other elements (that most musicians do not focus on) include your work ethic, temperament, business savvy and reliability just to name a few. To make yourself the absolute best choice to work together with a music company, you must work to build up a massive amount of value so that any of the musicians competing against you will pale in comparison. This means that when a music company considers working with you, it must be obvious that there is no other choice. Right now you may be thinking that this is a simple concept to understand (and you are right). However, in spite of this, the overwhelming majority of musicians do not take action to do this in their music careers on a daily basis. To see if you are taking the necessary amount of action in this area of your music career, fill out this quick survey about how to build value in the music industry. As long as you have the ability to continually add high amounts of value for anyone in the music business, you will have great potential to make a lot of money. It is for this reason that I train all of the musicians in my music industry mentoring program to develop a mindset for adding value within everything they do. Not Taking The Time To Identify Your Market Once you have become familiar with the value you have to give to the music industry, you will you need to find and identify the people who you will give value to. For example, imagine that you were about to release your newest record. Who are the people (fans) that would be waiting to buy your new music? Do you have a way to quickly and easily contact these people? If not, what action are you taking right now to build a list of your potential customers? Now imagine that you were a session musician. Do you have an organized list of all your potential customers/business partners such as musicians, recording studios, or bands? What are you going to do today to get in touch with these people and show them how you can help them with your skills and talents? One of the most common mistakes made by musicians is that they spend the time to create an album, increase their musical skills, or work in another area of the music industry, but when it comes time to receive the payoff for their hard work, they have great difficulty making any money. This happens because they have not taken the time to build a database of customers who are ready and willing to pay for the value that the musician is offering. Since this is such a common issue, I have made this one of my main areas of focus while mentoring the musicians in my Music Careers Mentoring Program. Additionally, musicians will make the mistake of assuming that once they are signed with a music company that the company will take all the responsibility to further their career. This is not true. The fact is, YOU are the one who will need to take initiative in your music career in order to promote yourself and make a better living. Work on building your own list of customers and fans so that you are the one in control of this aspect of your career. This can be used as a great tool to improve negotiations with future music business partners to make more money for you (and for everyone else involved). Not Knowing Your Goals And Not Having A Plan To Reach Them To earn more money in your music career, you must set specific goals and have a strategy in place for reaching them. Don't simply have vague ideas of wanting to be a professional musician. Instead, you must focus on what you want out of music. To get started, answer the questions below:
  • What do you want your annual music career income to be?
  • What are the various sources of income that will allow you to reach your goal in question #1?
  • What action must you take in order to create these sources of income? (learn more about how to set up multiple streams of income in this music career planning article.)
  • What is every possible way that you can add high levels of value to each interaction you have in the music business?
  • What is every possible way that you can eliminate risk for other people in the music business? Once you have answered each of the questions above, you must make every step in your music career go toward the specific goals you have determined for yourself. The majority of musicians struggle to identify exactly "what" they must do to get their desired results in the music industry. Additionally, once they know "what" to do, they struggle to understand "how" to use this knowledge effectively. If you are in this same situation, the best action that you can take is to find a great mentor who can train you to achieve success in your music career and make a lot of money in the music industry. By doing this, you will avoid wasting your time and effort on the same frustrating mistakes that other musicians make. Confusing "Being Popular" With "Earning A Lot Of Money In The Music Industry" You don't need to be touring in an internationally known rock band in order to make a great living in your music career. The reality is that even some famous bands include band members who are working regular jobs to make a living. It is important to understand this point so that you can place priorities on achieving your goals in the most effective way possible. Obviously there are musicians who have achieved both popularity and great financial stability, however you should prioritize your efforts to reach your goals in the most effective way possible. Ending Thoughts There are many musicians who view the music business as "deceptive" or "wrong" because it involves making money from one's passion rather than giving it away for free. These people likely spend their time focusing on songwriting skills or improving their abilities on their instrument. Although these are important things to work on, it is also critical to focus on improving your "music business skills" if you want to earn enough money from music without needing a day job just to get by. Even though there is no way to predict (in a single article) the specific path you must take to make a great living in the music industry, if you avoid the mistakes mentioned here you will be much more likely to achieve financial freedom in your music career. The good news is that when you do start making a stable living as a professional musician, you will be able to spend more time on that which drew you to the music industry in the first place: making music. If you haven't yet taken the music career surveys mentioned in this article about how to pursue a career in music and how to build value in the music industry I encourage you to do so now. About The Author: Tom Hess is a recording artist, touring musician and the guitar player for the band Rhapsody Of Fire. He trains and mentors musicians from all over the world on how to develop a successful career in music. Visit tomhess.net to get free music career resources and to read more music career articles.
  • 63 comments sorted by best / new / date

    comments policy
      irollemphat
      wafflesyrup wrote: Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise.
      wafflesyrup, this is one of the most interesting, useful, and well-written articles i've ever read on UG. i get the whole "business men they take my wine" bit, but i'd rather support someone who takes music seriously than someone who sits on a high horse of hippie logic and over-the-top rhetoric. fact is, if you wanna make music, you better be willing to do what it takes to get there. and no, treating music as a business does not necessarily suck the life out of music. it merely makes it feasible. on a lighter note, i really hope UG keeps posting articles like this. great work on finding this one!
      killektrika
      very well-written article. I wish you'd added examples of musicians here and there to illustrate your point.
      bassthunder
      wafflesyrup wrote: Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise.
      Wait, so you're telling me that if I want to make money from my art that it no longer has soul? Guess I'd better just quit now and spend the rest of my life in my miserable dead-end job, because my one skill just isn't worth using if I expect to see returns for my work. Look, I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between being idealistic and being a moron.
      ibanez124
      I'm gonna disagree with the drum circle going on here. Since when is getting paid for what you love to do a crime? Do we bash artists for selling their paintings, do they skimp on detail just because they get paid? I guess none of you go to the movies because the actor isn't being TRUE to his art. He is doing it for his love of acting, but dammit he is earning money so lets banish him from society. So why don't you self righteous people get off your damn soapbox, it's annoying. Just remember "If you love your job, you never work a day in your life"
      MrPendent
      Honestly, people. This article is NOT saying that all musicians must do these things. What it says is that IF you want to make a living SOLELY from your music, then you are going to need to treat it like a job. All he says is: --Playing well will not get you anywhere by itself. There are thousands of guys that play as well or better than you, no matter how good you are. --Network with other people who are actually making a living in music. Hanging out with your friends who also don't have a job and don't have money is fun and very helpful for the creative side, but it isn't ever going to bring you any money. --You can make your career easier if you do things that will bring you money when you aren't actively playing. If he suggested "buy stock", you wouldn't be all butt-hurt. But because he says, basically, license what you have everyone starts crying. Have you heard of "Rock Band: Green Day"? The Osbournes? American Idol? Burger King??? I am not a money-grubbing corporate slug, and I have no doubt that I will never make anything by playing my guitar. I have a job. I have a life. I do it for fun. But I also have been involved with other arts (ie. fiction writing) and can tell you that this sort of thing is the exact same advice you get about a career in any of the arts. None of that takes the "soul" out of your music. YOU take the soul out of your music. No one says that you can't play for art, beauty and to bring mankind together. What the world says is that you can't do that AND get paid millions of dollars for it.
      SkepsisMetal
      wafflesyrup wrote: In other words, that which makes "making money" a necessity. Competition, selfishness, and arrogance, as opposed to unison, education, and happiness.
      I'm competetive, selfish and arrogant. But I can work cohesively with groups, teach, learn and be happy with it alongside making rich pickings with something I want to do career wise. Why is your world so black and white and naive?
      G-money!$
      I think this is where wafflesyrup's logic has gone awry: Yes, music is a beautiful thing, but the reason people want to be able to make money from their music is so that they can have the ability to solely focus on their musical talents and expression. Thus, allowing the musician to be more expressive with his or her art, and making it more enjoyable for the listener. This is all achieved because the career musician is able to focus solely on their music, rather than dividing their efforts into a day job, schooling, et cetera.
      Pan-Tallica
      ^ Your posting goes far beyond "a bit silly". Reading through your posts got rather laughable, actually. You can't construct a grand argument by stating your fantastical beliefs as fact, and subsequently arriving at a (foggy) conclusion. This one struck me in particular (although there are many from which I could have chosen): "Nearly everything we have today can be credited to selfishness, while the sheer will of the mentality has its accomplishments and pleasures, its shortsightedness has and will further cost us more than we'll ever gain back." You are grounding this claim in absolutely no factual information whatsoever. Had you attempted, you would have been hard-pressed to progress your "argument". Selfishness is pretty deeply rooted in human behaviour, and has been for, like... a long time. A reeeaaalllyyy long time. Self-serving behaviour is what allows species to thrive and persist. However, since you stated it "has and will further cost us more than we'll ever gain back", I suppose you just expect us to accept your premise and move on. If you want to have a metaphysical discussion, do it properly.
      bastards
      RickyThomson I can't stand the logic some people think in regards to the whole "i wanna be in a band so i can get a ferrari and a mansion!!!!!"... yeah right.
      You gotta start somewhere.
      matchpointrocks
      Did some of you miss the opening line of the article? "If you think that finding the most effective ways to make good money in the music industry is "wrong", then do not bother reading this article." I'm a musician because of music, first and foremost; playing, writing, performing--all of it. I do, though, see how music can be a business and a way to, yes, make money. I don't think that is a crime. It's also not an end that everyone needs to pursue. So..."If you think that finding the most effective ways to make good money in the music industry is "wrong", then do not bother reading this article."
      wafflesyrup
      I don't understand how purposefully shaping one's musical and life experience to be most profitable in a dysfunctional society equates to taking music seriously, just seems like a means to one's own end. And the whole "if you want to make music, you better be willing to do what it takes to get there" kind of mentality is great, because it takes lots of practice. But this idea of "getting there" seems to be something other than simply being happy, there is no business model for happiness. Making music is easy, and it's beautiful. Why do we have to complicate that? We spoil what's been given to us, and I hate to see it. There is no over-the-top rhetoric behind being honest.
      killektrika
      This article was intended for those of us looking fora career in music. It is for the countless aspiring musicians in the world who are hesitant to take the first step as a musician for fear of failure. It is for those that discard the idea of a career in Music based on the probability of making it big, which we see as the ocean of unsuccessful musical talent everywhere. This article is for those who read it as a "Yes, we can" instead of "What's in it for me?" So if you're not one of those people, don't read this article, because its not for you anyways!
      Honkern
      Well, how the hell is making money from it the same as sucking the soul out of music? Being able to make a living from doing what you love is not the same as selling your soul and making shitty music. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion after reading an article that tells you its useful to have a network of people in the music industry and knowing how to get you music out to the masses. If anything I'd say the tips given here would have a positive influence on your music.
      Honkern
      And on a sidenote. That dysfunctional society you're talking about is still to this day the most fuctional sort of society mankind have been able to create.
      wafflesyrup
      It's a matter of perspective. Two different extremes. It's the nature of generalizations to have holes, exceptions. It is my own opinion that as a people we need to exercise ideas along the lines of prudence. We need to be humble, patient, and accepting. We've had a chance to see what comes of our aggression, our ambition. We've had the chance numerous times. Live and learn, or you know... die. What I'm getting at isn't so much about how much money you can make off of music, but the systems we perpetuate so that we can maintain our growing complacency. It takes time obviously, we've been sucking dick as a species for at least a few millennia now. But these are OUR lives, OUR systems, OUR responsibility. Everything requires balance, you do play music, no? It frightens the shit out of me, seeing the way people treat their neighbors and the lives they've been given. There are better ways to find time to live.
      Aralingh
      wafflesyrup wrote: I don't understand how purposefully shaping one's musical and life experience to be most profitable in a dysfunctional society equates to taking music seriously, just seems like a means to one's own end. And the whole "if you want to make music, you better be willing to do what it takes to get there" kind of mentality is great, because it takes lots of practice. But this idea of "getting there" seems to be something other than simply being happy, there is no business model for happiness. Making music is easy, and it's beautiful. Why do we have to complicate that? We spoil what's been given to us, and I hate to see it. There is no over-the-top rhetoric behind being honest.
      I agree with this person. Merely for the purpose for this, I deliberately avoided the opportunity to have a career in music. I still practice every day, I write music every day, and I see nothing but joy and happiness in it, not a burden.
      MrPendent
      As an addendum--the "I have a job. I have a life" was not a jab at anyone. I meant that I have already cast my lots in life, and I can't change them now (and have no illusions about it).
      Pinquii
      Wafflesyrup, this is the world we live in. We NEED to make money to live and if you are doing something you love to make it why is that such a bad thing? This article isn't about being the richest person in the world, just helping people make money to make a living doing something they enjoy and if I could I would. Bottom line: There will always be selfish people in the world, they won't change their personality because you ask them to. You worry too much about what other people are doing, if people want to do something they will do it. People like you trying to control other people and getting them to do what you think is right is worse than what your saying. I for one would rather spend my time in my little corner doing my own thing than being told I should be doing something else.
      Pan-Tallica
      wafflesyrup wrote: Hah, well excuse the **** out of me buddy. The definitive tone of my post is inappropriate, I agree. Meant no grave offense. Do you believe we've arrived where we are today through the acts of a single man?
      What? No. Is that a serious question?
      Pencil Man
      haha. In your fantasy world, the ''purity'' of music requires you to starve to death. In the real world, you play, you make your money, and you get to eat another meal.
      Claytunes
      I came from a poor family. Just mum and my two siblings and me. Being poor sucks! Yes we had good times but mostly it was a struggle. I started listen to Sonny Terry on the harmonica play the blues and coppied all his licks when I was 12. Its served me well...I left my country and went to Europe and played my butt off for 12 years. I played for tips and wages and made more money than I ever dreamed of having...I sent money home to my mum. I never sold my soul to get rich...I just did what I love and managed the biz side of things carefully. Now I read this article where Tom Hess is offering to mentor people. More power to Mr Hess and more power to those who like me pull them selves out of a life of poverty and make a better life for them their families selves with music.
      DickHardwood
      Why all the fuzz about this?If you want to be a full-time musician you need to make money out of it..shit costs.Guitars aren't cheap,studio time is far from cheap..putting together an album costs a great deal of money and the era where a record label executive would discover you in an underground show is long gone. Everything is business. For example, I love literature and I buy books..should authors just put them out for free? Making yourself marketable doesn't make you a drone with a suit,it just means you get off your high horse and come down to earth.
      EpiExplorer
      m4ss3 m/ wrote: Didn't really dig this article. I didn't like the whole "having several irons in the fire" thing. Does that mean that I should play in many bands instead of just one? I understand that these tips might come in handy, but if your music is great then isn't that what really matters in the end?
      No, no it doesn't. If you intend to make money off of music, remember that the general public is one massive consuming organism that likes the same thing, so do music that they can consume rather than enjoy. A thing my music business lecturer said was 'bands like Stereophonics and Lady Gaga are bands that make music for people who dont like music'. And that doesn't mean you have to be in loads of bands. You CAN do that, and it CAN work, but there's always options. For instance, writing and producing film/game/TV scores and themes is bloody lucrative. Being in a wedding function band can earn a collective 100,000 per year. being the live radio backing band can earn you around 1000 a session depending on how good you are (and you literally play for about 6 seconds).
      RickyThomson
      wafflesyrup wrote: Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise.
      What's with the downvotes on this comment?!!? Really people? The guy is right on track, i couldn't have said it better myself! If people have the attitude that music is an excuse to get rich fast and easy... they're wrong. Music can be a business, nothing wrong with that. But it's the attitude of mainstream crap (think, x-factor, pop idol, wannabe central) that puts an impression on people to believe that music is an easy way to climb the pyramid of capitalism, somewhat believing they can churn out some auto-tuned crap and become a millionare (scary thing is, it has worked for many). But there is no passion or any emotion involved. I can't stand the logic some people think in regards to the whole "i wanna be in a band so i can get a ferrari and a mansion!!!!!"... yeah right.
      wafflesyrup
      Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise.
      alexcorreia
      I understand what you are saying, but this is the real world, not some fairy tale. In the real world people need money to survive, it's our current system, unless we ditch this system and start again, there's no way around it. I really don't like this attitude that music is an art, music is pure, money should not be made from it. Well, everybody in every field gets paid in exchange for their service, why should music be any different? You're telling me that a person that can compose, teach and perform music, should go get a job at McDonalds because it would be wrong to try to make a single penny from the skill this person has acquired with a lot of hard work? People who talk like this, are immature people that still live in some hippie world, where they believe everything will be alright if they follow some unrealistic hippie commandments of bullcrap. If you believe in what you're saying, you shouldn't be preaching anything anyway. Where's your acceptance that a person is free to turn their music skills into a business? This article is spot on. If you want to have a CAREER in music, you got to make money the same way a painter, a footballer, an accountant, a graphic designer, etc, does. Now, in your fairy tale world, maybe you can be a bard sitting on a branch of a tree, while people bring you fruit and vegetables to keep you going. Not in the current real world I'm afraid.
      JRW1611
      Successfully managed to turn something which is supposed to be about passion, feeling, self-expression and damn well having fun into a business proposal. Just shows what an abhorrent direction our society is heading...
      yeoman125
      I agree with what waffle syrup is saying. Its a travesty that an art form must be turned into a business for it to be appreciated. However, this isn't an ideal world and for any sort of success in the music industry you need to understand the best way to do things. The article was very good, not too enlightening for me personally as I've been studying this sort of thing for a couple of years now, but well written and informative nonetheless.
      alexcorreia
      Yes, but isn't pretty much everything an art form? Isn't architecture and art form? How about web design? Writing a novel? Movie making? Sculpting? Fashion design? You know this list could be endless right? Art is personal expression, and people express themselves in different ways. Music is one of them. Do you really believe that the music you listen to was done by someone that never accepted a penny from their work? I have to say, I hate this attitude. It's because of this way of thinking that promoters, festival organizers, pub and bar owners think that we should play for free, because it's an art and we shouldn't be charging. Same with people wanting your music for free. When I'm writing music, when I'm in the zone, I'm expressing my feelings, I don't ask anyone to pay me for that. But when I turn that into a recording or a performance I expect payment, because I'm no longer just expressing myself, I'm also providing a service, therefore, I should get paid to do so.
      wafflesyrup
      Is it now? Making money in and of itself doesn't do it. The deliberations and restrictions of a business do.
      wafflesyrup
      In other words, that which makes "making money" a necessity. Competition, selfishness, and arrogance, as opposed to unison, education, and happiness.
      m4ss3 m/
      Didn't really dig this article. I didn't like the whole "having several irons in the fire" thing. Does that mean that I should play in many bands instead of just one? I understand that these tips might come in handy, but if your music is great then isn't that what really matters in the end?
      wafflesyrup
      bassthunder wrote: wafflesyrup wrote: Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise. Wait, so you're telling me that if I want to make money from my art that it no longer has soul? Guess I'd better just quit now and spend the rest of my life in my miserable dead-end job, because my one skill just isn't worth using if I expect to see returns for my work. Look, I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between being idealistic and being a moron.
      Read what I've said again, not what I'm saying. It's the principles lying behind these systems which compromise integrity through their societal influences, not the notion of simply making a bill.
      rossi.juan.jr
      Guys, I'm Brazilian and read all your dialogues in details: I really understand what Mr. Wafflesyrup was trying to say to us, because I always used to speak against social money tendencies in the not so distant past. Then, a certain day, my ex-wife said to me - and notice she has various degrees in Philosophy, Education, etc.: if you really want to change our world, do it, otherwise speaking badly of consume society and not having a different approach is just useless! Well, after this day, stopped a little to become bothered by our slavery to our marketing directioned society. What I can say, in my 40 years as a musician, is this sad reality: 1) Here in Brazil, majority of good musicians never knew how to survive just of music, encountered a second job; 2) Singers or houses of music here, in great majority, don't use contracts - demand it and you're fired; 3) In wedding groups, there's always somebody that makes a ceremony cheaper than others - and sometimes a bigger one; 4) Mediocre kind of music turns authors in rich people if there's an immediate commercial success - obvious; 5) Many top instrumental old musicians participate in bands rehearsaling for free - although later they could earn playing in special few gigs; 6) There are many cover bands and little ones playing and earning money still in clubs or hotels, but undoubtedly quality is a lot inferior - harmonic cliches, out-of-tune voices, kitsch forms and no risky improvisations. That's it!! All visions here have their certainties and disadvantages, but you sure must know that problems weigh more agaisnt the more weak: we - as musicians -, whether we're simple or thoroughly studied!!
      PsiGuy60
      People often forget that a serious band is much like a small business. There's a lot of things to take care of before you can start making money. PS. To me, "Making money with music" comes to the same thing as "Getting other people to enjoy your music". It does not have to equal "Selling your soul to the corporate world".
      DickHardwood
      DickHardwood wrote: DickHardwood wrote: Why all the fuzz about this?If you want to be a full-time musician you need to make money out of it..shit costs.Guitars aren't cheap,studio time is far from cheap..putting together an album costs a great deal of money and the era where a record label executive would discover you in an underground show is long gone. Everything is business. For example, I love literature and I buy books..should authors just put them out for free? Making yourself marketable doesn't make you a drone with a suit,it just means you get off your high horse and come down to earth. And..win.
      Fuck, I wanted to post this for mtg6792
      DickHardwood
      DickHardwood wrote: Why all the fuzz about this?If you want to be a full-time musician you need to make money out of it..shit costs.Guitars aren't cheap,studio time is far from cheap..putting together an album costs a great deal of money and the era where a record label executive would discover you in an underground show is long gone. Everything is business. For example, I love literature and I buy books..should authors just put them out for free? Making yourself marketable doesn't make you a drone with a suit,it just means you get off your high horse and come down to earth.
      And..win.
      hightension01
      Did any of you bother to dig into his site and see the most important test on there? He makes you envision your final goal as a musician in most cases money I sustain yourself, then he has you ask yourself what that gives you that you didn't have before. He basically shows you that you didn't want money after all, in my case I wanted a family supported by my passion for music, to be a role model for my future children. Money was a vehicle for me to reach my true goal of happiness. This is an amazing article.
      wafflesyrup
      Hah, well excuse the **** out of me buddy. The definitive tone of my post is inappropriate, I agree. Meant no grave offense. Do you believe we've arrived where we are today through the acts of a single man?
      wafflesyrup
      Well I enjoyed your clinical dissection of my post there sir, but it does seem a bit removed itself. Talk to me, what does business mean to you? Perspective comes in many forms, but we can discuss these things. I still feel my words have been in relation to the content of the post. I'm not condemning anyone. I'll admit my posting is a bit silly, but I find this all very silly so it's quite fitting to me.
      mtg6792
      ^ The above was written in response to the original comment posted by wafflesyrup.
      sunburst steve
      wafflesyrup wrote: bassthunder wrote: wafflesyrup wrote: Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet. You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain. Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise. Wait, so you're telling me that if I want to make money from my art that it no longer has soul? Guess I'd better just quit now and spend the rest of my life in my miserable dead-end job, because my one skill just isn't worth using if I expect to see returns for my work. Look, I get what you're saying, but there's a difference between being idealistic and being a moron. Read what I've said again, not what I'm saying. It's the principles lying behind these systems which compromise integrity through their societal influences, not the notion of simply making a bill.
      Well then you should go to your government for that instead of UG comment section. I agree with you that business is doing that, but if you want to make money off of music i don't see anything particularly wrong.
      mtg6792
      Why!? Why!!!?? I understand we live in a shitty, selfish, capitalistic, opportunistic, malicious, manipulative, dishonest, society with nothing but ulterior motives driving our will to live and deceive one another into believing ourselves better than each other, and that we as individuals are just trying to survive in these conditions. (This entire paragraph should be deleted because it takes a false point not presented in the article and attacks it, and is known as a Straw Man in the world of logical fallacies.) BUT WHY CAN WE NOT SEE THAT WE ARE SLOWLY BUT SURELY DESTROYING THE VIRTUE OF OUR LIVES; PASSION, HONESTY, LOVE, ACCEPTANCE, UNISON, HARMONY, RHYTHM, THE COLLECTIVE MOVEMENT! We are removing these practices from our daily lives, that which drives us to live and love is beginning to trickle like a runny faucet.(This paragraph uses a fallacy known as begging the question by assuming your position was correct to begin with/ you also use equivocation is assuming that business means destruction of virtue.) You want to kill the human spirit? You want everything to shrivel up and die? Promote smoking meth before you promote lies and selfishness, the last thing this world needs is another businessman, much less one driven to suck the life out of music in search of personal gain.(This entire paragraph is unnecessary, because it uses a logical fallacy known as a RED HERRING. In other words, you're making an argument about something that has nothing to do with the article) Your actions influence others, theirs actions influence others, don't let music become this. Don't let our current circumstances drive us further from love. We're desperate, but this is only perpetuating our certain demise. (This entire paragraph was unnecessary, as it simply uses a logical fallacy known as ad populum to appeal to a FALSE EMOTIONAL DILEMMA) Essentially, you're left with nothing, and I have to ask: Did you read the article? I received a brief education on how to use my musical career to survive, how to harvest my musical career, how to devote time solely into my musical career by drawing income from various areas and HOW TO USE MY VIRTUE (or value) TO MARKET MYSELF. This article was designed to be helpful to those seeking to enjoy their music and love what they do, and yes, be able to live off of it; it was not for those who seek to propagate themselves or prostitute themselves to big business (see the section on popular doesn't mean earning money). Using a bunch of politically incorrect, illogical, irrational, idealistic rhetoric that borders on complete hocum- as it is present of no true value, and contains only falsehood- does nothing. If you want to change society, go out and do something. In the words of Voltaire, "We must cultivate our own garden;" however, cultivation does not beget striking unwarranted debates over the ethics of making money to survive. This article was designed to be helpful; to help those who have not yet learned to help themselves. If you choose to attack the virtue or the character of those who subscribe to the beliefs of this article, you attack the good intentions and good will of man without need. Where is the virtue in that? Mathew Griggs, B.A. Philosophy, B.A. Theology
      MrKnister
      ibanez124 wrote: I'm gonna disagree with the drum circle going on here. Since when is getting paid for what you love to do a crime? Do we bash artists for selling their paintings, do they skimp on detail just because they get paid? I guess none of you go to the movies because the actor isn't being TRUE to his art. He is doing it for his love of acting, but dammit he is earning money so lets banish him from society. So why don't you self righteous people get off your damn soapbox, it's annoying. Just remember "If you love your job, you never work a day in your life"
      YES! GREAT!