A7X Fans Make Shadows Damage His Voice

Avenged Sevenfold singer M Shadows says that being driven on by fans' passion during live shows has hurt his vocal cords.

A7X Fans Make Shadows Damage His Voice
72
Avenged Sevenfold singer M Shadows says that being driven on by fans' passion during live shows has hurt his vocal cords and sometimes he has to force himself to stay calm in order to avoid doing more damage. Speaking to NME in a video recorded during the band's recent UK tour with Stone Sour and Hellyeah, the frontman discussed the aftermath of having had a throat infection and vomiting ahead of a concert in Brighton. Shadows says: I'm really concerned about my voice. I need to make sure I go out there and don't hurt myself and have to cancel more dates. On a normal night I listen for how loud the crowd goes when the lights go out. It's always cool it's about to go deep-shit. But it's about staying calm in my own mind and not worrying about how much the kids are giving me. He says the band have a set of traditions they follow before starting a show: We've very meticulous if it's different it really throws us off. We all spit water out at the same spot, I always give the crew fist-pumps, then we go out and do it. We always serve the fans first. The only time we don't is when we decide what kind of record we're going to write. We always write what we want to write but our fans like that. Thanks for the report to RockAAA.com.

98 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    intothe
    Also I don't see it as him "blaming" the fans for anything, I think he meant it more as a compliment, that they can get him going even when he shouldn't.
    Guitar Skater
    I though he had learned to sing properly after his operation to avoid any more damage? Still he is my favorite vocalist.
    Amuro Jay
    My prediction: 90% of the people who comment on this article today will not have bothered to read it.
    Randomrings
    I have to disagree. I think Shadows damages his own voice, not the fans. The fact that whenever you DO play second heartbeat, you cut down, don't do most of the screaming, and still have issues with throat pain during singing, maybe you should just ... check yourself. I don't know I hurt my throat sometimes when messing around, but the few vocal lessons i've taken have not only widened my range but also showed me how important it is to not hurt yourself. You vocal chords are just another part of your body that can be strained to the point of breaking
    omgbadman
    You could sing with your throat torn out and nobody would know the difference in this case. Have to have a voice before you can damage it. Go scream meaningless drivel some more.
    Vermillion85
    strat0blaster wrote: I like A7X, but this sounds like a problem more with A)Him not knowing how to sing without straining B)Him not knowing how to control his breathing or C)Him not knowing how to control his excitement
    For the record, im not an A7X fan, but im voting C. anyone whos been on stage know adrenaline can make you play faster, or hit harder, or sing louder. we all pay for it the next day!
    ChokingOnBile wrote: Yeah...just wonder a bit, why do smaller, non-comercial bands never whine about their hands hurting or voice breaking or any other problems? It's the damn process of pussification. The pussification that continues to spread
    Probably because the smaller bands have smaller crowds... by and large..
    espplayer400
    Vocal cords? the guy sings through his nose..... that being said i cant stand avenged sevenfold.. now that the rev is dead, i literally like nothing about them.
    Chris_09
    James_Het_Rules wrote: Man blames ozzy for DWI. Matt blames fans for voice problems. Axl blames his PR guy for being called a dick. Zakk blames beer for alcoholism. Miley blames daddy for getting caught up in the sex trade. I like A7X. But people can't blame people for their problems. Learn how to use your voice properly and it won't happen. Either that or don't over exert yourself because of the "kids"
    WIN!
    PlayFreebirdNow
    jackrocks4 if you say you dont like nightmare, you havent listened to it.
    Stop reading there. I've listened to Nightmare, and did not enjoy it. It's funny how you are stating your opinion as fact, though.
    laxslinger
    Whatever reason, this man does not have a naturally strong voice. If you want natural power, see Myles Kennedy or Brent Smith.
    SOADriff
    julian.assange wrote: As long as Shadows is all good for Sound Wave in Australia.
    Awkward.....
    Reighnart
    James_Het_Rules wrote: Man blames ozzy for DWI. Matt blames fans for voice problems. Axl blames his PR guy for being called a dick. Zakk blames beer for alcoholism. Miley blames daddy for getting caught up in the sex trade. I like A7X. But people can't blame people for their problems. Learn how to use your voice properly and it won't happen. Either that or don't over exert yourself because of the "kids"
    He NEVER Blamed his fans. That's just misleading UG headlines. READ the article. Then post. In that order.
    prac23
    Eggmond wrote: i wanna sing but using my voice would be too easy,i want to make the crowd do it...
    This is a perfect demonstration of (a) zero reading comprehension (b) complete mental retardation
    jackrocks4
    i disagree with most comment (2 or 3 or so) that said waking was his best vocally, seems like youd say that because they werent as popular then, seeing as there are alot of a7x haters on this site, which i really dont get. if you say you dont like nightmare, you havent listened to it. it is EASILY the best avenged sevenfold album, my favorite before that was waking too, but its hard for me to feel the same way about ANY album like i feel about nightmare. i could do a full review, but this is about shadows. his voice has only gotten better, sure he stopped screaming (you guys make it seem like he does that half the time, which isnt at all true). seventh trumpet was crap, waking was amazing, but there was ALOT of screams, not so many clean vocals, when he did clean vocals, it honestly was pretty half ass. city of evil was first with no scream, sucked, but he tried something new, he is only human, so mistake was understandable. the self titled was amazing, vocally he was doing some crazy shit, not near enough credit. nightmare is a whole new level, he does some crazy stuff and you can really feel the emotions that he is trying to portray, and he has learned how to control his voice really damn good, some of the songs (tonight the world dies, and natural born killer) are just some of the most impressive vocals ive ever heard. and if you like his scream, his screams in god hates us beats the **** out of everything from waking the fallen, in one song. so open your mind, give this guy the respect he has rightfully earned, and enjoy the music.
    JohnnyApplecore
    I'm not a fan of his vocals in the least or even Avenged Sevenfold, but he gets a lot of credit for wanting to please the fans while sticking to his guns musically.
    !Mike!
    Wow this article is retarded. They took it completely out of the context of the interview, he said when he's sick he needs to stay calm and not go crazy but on normal days he goes all out.
    gardenofgibson
    Man UG i know you want people to read your articles but cmon, blatant misleading titles are kinda low. here i was thinking shad actually straight up said "i hurt my voice because of the fans" when, in reality he said he's got to be careful he doesn't hurt his voice because he loves giving his all FOR his fans. i know i know, it's to get people (like me) to click the headline and read the article but you're making him out to sound like a jerk
    shredder3386
    espplayer400 wrote: Vocal cords? the guy sings through his nose..... that being said i cant stand avenged sevenfold.. now that the rev is dead, i literally like nothing about them.
    Lol i was thinking the same thing..the article should read "AX7 Fans Make Shadows Damage his Nasal Chords"
    SmittyMan90
    shredder3386 wrote: espplayer400 wrote: Vocal cords? the guy sings through his nose..... that being said i cant stand avenged sevenfold.. now that the rev is dead, i literally like nothing about them. Lol i was thinking the same thing..the article should read "AX7 Fans Make Shadows Damage his Nasal Chords"
    LOL
    rebornmaster9
    HellsYeah wrote: rebornmaster9 wrote: Punkrokkboi wrote: who else thinks its messed up that UG cut out The Rev from the picture up there? yeah that is kinda dick oh and shadow's didn't have a surgery after waken the fallen he just didn't want to do screams anymore, i guess he got lazy or somthing... It's for the same reason Mike Portnoy isn't in the picture. The picture depicts the current band line-up. The Rev isn't currently in Avenged Sevenfold.
    the rev will always be in a7x. and i love how they don't show portney in the nightmare video either
    syn4ever
    jonny108 wrote: i love the "old school metal core fans" that always say First album > Second Album> Third album> .... n# album. pantera didnt scream that much, and they were pretty good i guess no? and he intended to do city of evil half screamed, half clean and self titled fully clean. Nightmare is on a whole new level, that album is bloody perfect. Stop trashing cuz they ve gotten famous, they re good, and you should be proud someone is keeping metal alive. His words are off context, he had a throat infection, and he's complementing the fans, which is good.
    This
    syn4ever
    Uh wrong. He can sing amazing live. Saw them in September and he was able to scream with no problems. Of course the albums are doctored, all bands have it done. Bands never sound the same live as they do on their record. Personally, I thought he sounded better live. But what do I know, I play guitar and don't sing since my voice sounds like shit.
    ibanez949 wrote: He is a total pussy, he can't sing at all live. I can hear how doctored up they do his vocals in the studio, and by the sounds of this article, he's too lazy and unaware to retain what little bit is left of his t terrible voice.
    dark_rider92
    XelaSteele wrote: It IS taken out of context and the title IS misleading. But I can't help but think he's doing something wrong. :\ I love M's clean vocals as much as his screaming vocals, and I definitely don't think his voice has worsened over time. His style has changed - that is all, and they've done it quite well. I don't believe the "operation" rumors, even though I'm sure A7X hides a lot of shit they don't want their fans to know, and he just as easily could have had an operation ALONG with changing the style of their music. But dude, he seems to easily hurt his voice a LOT. God knows how many shows A7X has canceled because M lost his voice. I mean, fair play for exerting himself for the fans, but if it carries on he might actually ruin his voice permanently... no fans would want that...
    naw, the operations definitely happened. i believe the band themselves posted a blog about it. and yeah, i got an A7X show canceled cuz of his voice giving out. instead i had to sit thru Buckcherry, Shinedown, and Saving Abel...ugh.
    dark_rider92
    Guitar Skater wrote: I though he had learned to sing properly after his operation to avoid any more damage? Still he is my favorite vocalist.
    this guy knows what's up...
    XelaSteele
    It IS taken out of context and the title IS misleading. But I can't help but think he's doing something wrong. :\ I love M's clean vocals as much as his screaming vocals, and I definitely don't think his voice has worsened over time. His style has changed - that is all, and they've done it quite well. I don't believe the "operation" rumors, even though I'm sure A7X hides a lot of shit they don't want their fans to know, and he just as easily could have had an operation ALONG with changing the style of their music. But dude, he seems to easily hurt his voice a LOT. God knows how many shows A7X has canceled because M lost his voice. I mean, fair play for exerting himself for the fans, but if it carries on he might actually ruin his voice permanently... no fans would want that...
    slash.r0cks
    HellsYeah wrote: You can't be a member of a band if you're dead. That's not my opinion, it's a fact.
    This.
    Jon777
    likogh wrote: and this is yet another case of UG's misleading titles...
    This. Seriously, UG...
    HellsYeah
    rebornmaster9 wrote: HellsYeah wrote: rebornmaster9 wrote: Punkrokkboi wrote: who else thinks its messed up that UG cut out The Rev from the picture up there? yeah that is kinda dick oh and shadow's didn't have a surgery after waken the fallen he just didn't want to do screams anymore, i guess he got lazy or somthing... It's for the same reason Mike Portnoy isn't in the picture. The picture depicts the current band line-up. The Rev isn't currently in Avenged Sevenfold. the rev will always be in a7x. and i love how they don't show portney in the nightmare video either
    You can't be a member of a band if you're dead. That's not my opinion, it's a fact.
    von Layzonfon
    ChokingOnBile wrote: The pussification that continues to spread
    Spreading pussification? Now there's something that sounds worthy of closer inspection. XD
    zeppaddict141
    strat0blaster wrote: I like A7X, but this sounds like a problem more with A)Him not knowing how to sing without straining B)Him not knowing how to control his breathing or C)Him not knowing how to control his excitement
    or a throat infection, like the article said
    Sami Philadelph
    This sounds rather pretentious regardless of whether he meant it that way anyway. Regardless, I don't think A7X releases artful or good music at all, I always assumed it was more of a live show type band.
    jonny108
    i love the "old school metal core fans" that always say First album > Second Album> Third album> .... n# album. pantera didnt scream that much, and they were pretty good i guess no? and he intended to do city of evil half screamed, half clean and self titled fully clean. Nightmare is on a whole new level, that album is bloody perfect. Stop trashing cuz they ve gotten famous, they re good, and you should be proud someone is keeping metal alive. His words are off context, he had a throat infection, and he's complementing the fans, which is good.
    MarkWakefield
    ChokingOnBile wrote: Yeah...just wonder a bit, why do smaller, non-comercial bands never whine about their hands hurting or voice breaking or any other problems? It's the damn process of pussification. The pussification that continues to spread
    I totally agree
    Amuro Jay
    acade365 wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: My prediction: 90% of the people who comment on this article today will not have bothered to read it. my prediction: UG will continue to make misleading titles for their articles.
    It's misleading if you misinterpret it, which many people tend to do. The title never implies that the singer is blaming anyone, but several people in the comments interpret it as such. In my opinion, the title is more vague than misleading. The article says when the crowd gets excited, he gets excited, and then he hurts his voice. So his reaction to the fans causes him to hurt his voice. Now tell me, what does the title say? Also, checked.
    HellsYeah
    rebornmaster9 wrote: Punkrokkboi wrote: who else thinks its messed up that UG cut out The Rev from the picture up there? yeah that is kinda dick oh and shadow's didn't have a surgery after waken the fallen he just didn't want to do screams anymore, i guess he got lazy or somthing...
    It's for the same reason Mike Portnoy isn't in the picture. The picture depicts the current band line-up. The Rev isn't currently in Avenged Sevenfold.
    rebornmaster9
    Punkrokkboi wrote: who else thinks its messed up that UG cut out The Rev from the picture up there?
    yeah that is kinda dick oh and shadow's didn't have a surgery after waken the fallen he just didn't want to do screams anymore, i guess he got lazy or somthing...
    dhruvrajvanshi
    learn from Bruce Dickinson about things like mesmerising the crowd and what not to do when a bird shits on you.
    WheredMyRockGo?
    ChokingOnBile wrote: Yeah...just wonder a bit, why do smaller, non-comercial bands never whine about their hands hurting or voice breaking or any other problems? It's the damn process of pussification. The pussification that continues to spread
    Pussification? U really should try singing sometime. Its called age. Try going out and screaming night after night for a long damn time. What he's saying is that when the fans go ballistic he finds it hard to hold anything back because people came to rock out and thats what they deserve. It has nothing to do with shadows being a puss. Most singers lighten up a bit in concert. This guys wails the whole damn time, seen em several times live. You think hetfield puts as much sweat into his vocals when singing live vs in a studio? Negative, it would destroy his voice. Sure he used to but now he's older and cant sustain that abuse.