Adele Song Wakes Girl From Coma

Adele's hit single "Rolling In The Deep" woke a seven-year-old British girl from a coma.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Eight-time Grammy Award winner Adele can happily add miracle-worker to her resume, after her hit single "Rolling In The Deep" woke a seven-year-old British girl from a coma, according to Telegraph.co.uk.

On April 13, Charlotte Neve suffered a brain hemorrhage, and was rushed to Leeds hospital, where she underwent two operations. When she slipped into a coma, doctors informed her mother Leila, 31, that she was not expected to survive. Then, miraculously, after lying comatose for a week, Adele's hit single came on the hospital radio, and Leila, recalling her daughter's fondness for the tune, sang along. To the amazement of her doctors, Charlotte broke into a smile.

"Charlotte started smiling, and I couldn't believe it," Leila told the Telegraph. "It was the first time she had reacted to anything since the hemorrhage. The nurses were astounded and told me to keep singing, and she smiled again. The nurses said it was like I 'unlocked her' and from that day she started getting better and better."

Several days later, she began talking, and was even able to get out of her hospital bed. Charlotte is now recovering at home, where she is learning to walk and talk again, has returned to school, and has even taken up dance classes again, all thanks to Adele's song.

"A day or two after the Adele incident ... she literally went from smiling and being giddy to standing up in bed," she continued. "It was a miracle."

Thanks for the report to Spinner.com.

127 comments sorted by best / new / date

    captaindammit
    I don't listen to Adele's music by any means or anything like it, but I think she is very talented. Who knows why she really responded to it...
    Zeppfan69
    its 99.9999% coincidence, **** they could have played Cannibal Corpse and she could have woke up just the same.
    Rocker17962
    People awoken by Adele's music: 1 person People sent into comas by Adele's music: 39489 people,
    Substructure
    ^
    Y'know, this actually doesn't surprise me. Has anyone seen the video of the man in the nursing home when he hears some of his favorite music? Music breathes life into people. That's why we're all here.
    Yeah, but he's actually listening to 'good' music. Unlike this thread. :p I'm sure the station plays the song over and over and how long was the radio on? I mean I'm happy for the girl coming out of the coma but they don't to add to the fame of someone else over it.
    qrEE
    Guarantee you - this is not actually true. The person would have woken up at the moment whether or not the song was playing, but the story will make it seem like it's true even though it's not.
    qpoitras
    qpoitras wrote: I've never really heard Adele until about a week ago. shes got such a voice it makes this believable. not my cup of tea but Rolling In The Deep is great.
    qpoitras
    I've never really heard Adele until about a week ago. shes got such a voice, its unbelievable. not my cup of tea but Rolling In The Deep is great.
    Skodward714
    Adele is so bad she could wake a dead person. I get a headache whenever I hear one of her songs.
    sapanda
    True, Adele's music is great...but I don't know about the kid waking from the coma story. Well at least Charlotte woke up. By the way, who the hell writes these articles?
    McHizzie
    dethklok could have been playing lol i bet she still would have woke up regardless =P
    Idiot Pineapple
    Oh look. A bunch of edgy 18 year olds hating someone because they're popular. Protip: If you support music, be happy about an non-generic, singer songwriter being in the top 50 charts.
    Kilimacory
    This happened after American Idiot was released. Then Billie went to meet the kid. JS
    dan0z
    does this news really belong here? Seems like the sort of story you'd expect to see in a tabloid magazine... absolute garbage.
    intheshadowplay
    Whaddaya know, it seems my comment about the Adele fan up there being on the verge of a break-down has bene removed too. Sorry gaiz, I'll try to goose-step in line from now on.
    nnb
    also, good thing its not KISS otherwise they'd be getting an invoice in the mail for waking her up.
    Scorpyin
    BigSpence wrote: TheJaneTrain wrote: Yay, Adele!!! I LOVE HER MUSIC!! She is AWESOME! I'm not understanding why this is drawing downvotes. Are all of these people saying you're wrong?
    They're saying they disagree, ie they do not like adele..
    nnb
    once is a coincidence, twice you'll get me thinking.
    Shadow914
    Dave Frenzy wrote: "alright, alright I'll get up! Just turn it off!"
    YES!!! Thank You!
    The jazz Man
    So does this mean if I go into a coma and someone plays Iowa il wake up? Hell, il even dance for you
    atticus999
    ...Exept no one was singing along so you can give credit to an actual person as much.
    guetaminute
    Idiot Pineapple wrote: Oh look. A bunch of edgy 18 year olds hating someone because they're popular. Protip: If you support music, be happy about an non-generic, singer songwriter being in the top 50 charts.
    Agreed, but as always, we get our comments thumbed down because we don't follow that hive mind mentality. Man this place is awful. Only good for tabs. The community is just so bad.
    BigHeadClan
    What the story doesn't tell you is that the Coma patient immediately told them to turn that song off Jokes aside glad to hear she woke up
    TheJaneTrain
    rustymoore91 wrote: That's funny, I usually slip into a coma when I hear Adele.
    Gee, what an original comment! -not-
    bearmod
    emad wrote: Checked again. I don't know how many people did I warn in this article! But if you don't like Adele, simply don't post.
    So we're not allowed to have a discussion about Adele at all? We're just supposed to read the article, nod our heads and smile, then comment on how much we love Adele and that we agree with the article. The moderators on this website act like ****ing 5 year olds. They took both of my previous comments down, which weren't offensive at all, just because I criticized Adele and called them out on taking comments down.
    guitar7masta
    You are not reading, I'm saying when the opinions are insulting, they will most likely be taken down. Yes, they don't delete every comment, maybe because nobody should have a problem with someone saying they like Adele (what's funny is people do which is when the insults start flying). The Ultimate Guitar news section focuses on ALL music news. It's just a name ffs, not a code to live by. It would be so boring getting news pertaining ONLY to guitars. :/
    led_sevenfold
    if your oppinion of adele is irrelevant and should be removed, then why is this still up...
    TheJaneTrain wrote: Yay, Adele!!! I LOVE HER MUSIC!! She is AWESOME!
    i think the mod is bias. also adele is irrelevant to the article, its not the any one song that wakes people from a coma, its songs theyre familar with, like playing songs from their youth can help those with alzimers, but you dont hear that the whos songs fights alzimers. not to mention that adele is not relevant to ultimateGUITAR. if i want to read about pop id go to TMZ.COM!
    guitar7masta
    led_sevenfold wrote: [quote]emad wrote: Checked again. I don't know how many people did I warn in this article! But if you don't like Adele, simply don't post. i don't dislike adele, but are you telling me i can not post that i find her lyrics cliched and unoriginal. Sure she can sing, but good singers are like people who can shred, dime-a-dozen. whats is rare is people can sing great/shred and write good lyrics/song
    The point it most of the comments are just plain insulting, not just toward Adele but toward the fans too. Not only that but whether or not you like Adele is wildly off topic, so by all means express your opinions, just do it in a respectful way and then try to add something relevant topic - i.e. coma patient waking up. Sorry for sounding like a mod or something, I just figure these things should be common sense. If all you have to say is "Adele sucks! She's a generic bitch!" Well, yeah, those comments will probably end up being deleted.
    led_sevenfold
    [quote]emad wrote: Checked again. I don't know how many people did I warn in this article! But if you don't like Adele, simply don't post. i don't dislike adele, but are you telling me i can not post that i find her lyrics cliched and unoriginal. Sure she can sing, but good singers are like people who can shred, dime-a-dozen. whats is rare is people can sing great/shred and write good lyrics/song
    TheJaneTrain
    oh man, this is one of those comments I was talking about in the WTF article XD, and people thumb it up! Silly little kids.... Anyway, I find it strange that anybody is suggesting they definitively know what happened here. I guess suddenly we're all certified doctors now? I understand being skeptical, I sure as hell am. But to throw any and all possibility that her music could have helped straight out the window just because you don't like Adele? Dumb.
    Nice to see an intelligent comment on this review. Good on you.
    guitar7masta
    Joker-82 wrote: Yeah, Adele news in Ultimate Guitar, BECAUSE THERE IS A LOT OF GUITARS IN HER MUSIC.
    oh man, this is one of those comments I was talking about in the WTF article XD, and people thumb it up! Silly little kids.... Anyway, I find it strange that anybody is suggesting they definitively know what happened here. I guess suddenly we're all certified doctors now? I understand being skeptical, I sure as hell am. But to throw any and all possibility that her music could have helped straight out the window just because you don't like Adele? Dumb.
    TheJaneTrain
    guetaminute wrote: Idiot Pineapple wrote: Oh look. A bunch of edgy 18 year olds hating someone because they're popular. Protip: If you support music, be happy about an non-generic, singer songwriter being in the top 50 charts. Agreed, but as always, we get our comments thumbed down because we don't follow that hive mind mentality. Man this place is awful. Only good for tabs. The community is just so bad.
    Agreed.
    Idiot Pineapple
    Agreed, but as always, we get our comments thumbed down because we don't follow that hive mind mentality. Man this place is awful. Only good for tabs. The community is just so bad.
    Yeah. This place kind of loses it's luster once you realize you've been reading the same article for 7 years. And if you don't worship bands from the 70's like they were the only artists to ever exist. Fantastic place to get tabs, but I've learned to stay away form the community. I do like to chime in during times like this just in hopes I can break the monotony.
    RichieJovie
    emad wrote: Checked again. I don't know how many people did I warn in this article! But if you don't like Adele, simply don't post.
    Maybe if the article was I dunno, guitar related, it might not draw comments that are negative.