Alice Cooper On Today's Rock Bands: 'Where Is The Fire?'

Alice Cooper railed against what he perceives to be a lack of fire and a desire many bands have to be image-free.

Alice Cooper On Today's Rock Bands: 'Where Is The Fire?'
19
Alice Cooper doesn't see much in rock today that interests him. In a new interview, he railed against what he perceives to be a lack of fire and a desire many bands have to be image-free. "My pet peeve right now is that 80-90 percent of the modern rock bands are just testosterone-free," he told Cincinnati's City Beat. "I am listening to these bands and going, Where is the spark? Where is the fire?' These bands are whining like crazy[I]t's like they are trying not to be rock starsThat's crazy. If you are in a rock band, you get in a rock band to be something different. I guess modern rock bands really just want to blend in and I think it is the most boring time in rock right now that I have ever seen." Cooper isn't referring to Lady Gaga, who's "Born This Way" he's been covering lately. And there are a couple of others that escape his wrath. "Jack White is amazing," he continued. "The Foo Fighters are amazing. I don't know the Black Veil Brides music very much but I love the image. At least they are going out of their way to be something that when you see them on stage you say, That's the Black Veil Brides.' But when I see 99% of the other bands up there I say those bands can be anybody. I just don't get the fact that everybody is so against having image." Thanks for the report to UltimateClassicRock.com.

92 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Abacus11
    I love Alice Cooper and he's right... as far as mainstream rock bands go. Most of them are boring. There are tons of amazing rock and metal bands out there today, you just have to dig to find them. Major labels only want to promote dull, cookie-cutter bands these days because they're guaranteed revenue. It's not the bands' faults that most people just want boring "safe" rock bands these days. That's where the money is.
    Crofty89
    Cooper isn't referring to Lady Gaga
    Because Lady Gaga is classed as a rock band now
    natuMzzri
    I have to disagree here. What kind of image do the Foo Fighters have? Ya they make awsome music, but they look like a normal group of guys to me. And when I see a picture of BVB I don't think 'there's BVB', I think 'oh look, there's another hot topic band using a gimmick that's already overused.' Music is about music. Bands that have a uniqueness to their sound shouldn't need to rely on image.
    Darth Wader
    I'd rather have a band make quality music than dress up like woman vampires making lame music...just saying.
    jon.peebles
    BigSpence wrote: If more rock bands put more effort into songwriting and song structure, we wouldn't have this problem. Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus is so boring and dull. Look at bands like Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, and The Mars Volta. Their music is interesting and amazing to listen to.
    A song like that doesn't necessarily come out of putting less effort into songwriting and structure. Coheed has plenty of songs with that type of structure. They just put the effort into writing good songs. Coheed is definitely on the progressive/alternative side of things at least in terms of today's music, but they can still rock the **** out of a 3 minute rock song. They just do it the right way.
    jackjb94
    Maiden95 wrote: Perfect way of putting it Alice.
    Couldn't agree more.
    blueledaero13
    You guys might not like them, but when I saw GWAR it was the most fun I ever had at a concert. They have the fire!
    Jasonbts
    proudtodrown wrote: your right, maybe we should all change our name to alice, and recruit kesha to do albums with us, and THEN we'll have some fire! dumbass. i hate when people complain about modern music when they don't contribute to making it better
    Alice has paid his dues man.. calm down. Nothing wrong with the guy having fun and making a song with Kesha, a friend of his. Yes, rockers and pop stars are allowed to be friends and make music together. That's the beauty of music. Not sitting in a box and ignoring all other sounds.
    KEEPTHE METAL33
    I don't think an "image" is necessary but I do agree with what he said in terms of the actual music. It's rather boring in general and that's the part that matters most.
    guitarist41
    Totally disagree. Nothing wrong with wanting to be an image-neutral band. Protest The Hero are the perfect example of this. When you go and see that band play, you see 5 regular guys wearing sandals and cat t-shirts, but they play great music, so everyone has a great time.
    Dan_Hey_Wait!
    Rock is dead, rock is dead Rock is dead, rock is dead Talk to my friend, that's what he said Is rock still around? No rock is dead It's all over, rock and roll is dead Bottle of jack, Mercury Fred Muscle car, Grateful Dead Lord of the Rings, Zeppelin Led Devil tattoo, Right Said Fred It's all over, rock and roll is dead Take it Kones! Started with blues, Belly of lead Then there was Elvis, Nicky some red Beatles arrive, started a trend Axl Rose, give me some head It's all over, rock and roll is dead Rock is dead, rock is dead Rock is dead, rock is dead Get that freight train out of my head Because a rock and a roll is a ****in' dead It's all over, rock and roll is dead It's all over, rock and roll is dead It's all over, rock and roll Oh so baby now, rock and roll R-r-r-r-r-rock and roll Is dead Woo Simply said by a clever man.
    Jasonbts
    It's because everything now is over-emotionalized. Bands are too concerned with being deep and emotional. Nothing wrong with deep and emotional, not at all, but the lengths they go to is ridiculous. Most of it just sounds deep until you really think and then you realize it makes no sense at all. Doesn't help that all the singers and listener immaculate themselves and do their bestest to look like women. Long hair, make up, ear piercings, whinny high vocals, super sensitive.. it's what music and musicians are moving to now. Not saying that's bad or good, that's just what it is. There's no desire to be heavy and masculine right now because that's what the last generation did, and so of course the current generation has to be different from the last. What's the opposite of being a manly man that sings about sex drugs and rock n roll? Emotions. So they fill their music with emotions either true or false because that's what they want to give. Either that or it's music that tries to hard where they just make a party out of sex and getting drunk, and every time they cuss, they emphasize the word so they sounds tough... and in the end it doesn't come across as cool or tough, it more comes across as the weird guy that tried too hard in high school to be a rebel and the "bad boy". *RANT OFF* Gosh modern music annoys me..
    -Annihilation-
    natuMzzri wrote: I have to disagree here. What kind of image do the Foo Fighters have? Ya they make awsome music, but they look like a normal group of guys to me. And when I see a picture of BVB I don't think 'there's BVB', I think 'oh look, there's another hot topic band using a gimmick that's already overused.' Music is about music. Bands that have a uniqueness to their sound shouldn't need to rely on image.
    I agree with you, not Alice.
    Abacus11
    slapsymcdougal wrote: Am I the only one thinking "I bet he's got a tour to promote, so he's targetting his core audience by bashing soemthing many of them won't like much anyway"?
    Yes, you probably are. Alice Cooper has been recording and touring for almost FIFTY YEARS! He's pretty much lived the life that most only ever dream or sing about. He's more than earned the respect of anyone who considers themselves a rock or metal fan.
    Battman1993
    BigSpence wrote: If more rock bands put more effort into songwriting and song structure, we wouldn't have this problem. Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus is so boring and dull. Look at bands like Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, and The Mars Volta. Their music is interesting and amazing to listen to.
    Holy shit, I'm not the only Circa Survive fan on this site?!
    caboose243
    this is why alice cooper is one of the best rock artists. rock bands should all be different and unique, not sound exactly the same. This aint disco!
    Patrick L
    These 50 year old former rock stars only judge the state of rock music on mainstream rock. If you look behind the scenes there is some amazing music being made and no one even recognizes it.
    ibanez124
    Are people agreeing with Alice Cooper, just because it's Alice Cooper? I mean what does he want? Just because bands don't have costumes and fire breathing demons on stage, doesn't mean that they aren't passionate about their music.
    LiquidColors18
    Can't help but think that at this point Alice Cooper is contributing to the fireless music by covering lady gaga and performing with Kesha
    p_a_morgan
    So...if a band isn't wearing facepaint, they aren't rockers? Alice, come on, man.. What's wrong with being a jeans and T-shirt band?
    Mouloudo
    music isn't about image... I mean I agree with the fact that todays bands suck, but that's because of lack of good inspiration and wrong influences, they all cite nirvana, oasis, the pixies or whatever as influences, wich is horrible, talking about three chords music... Take a look at Pink Floyd, no specific image, and they made dark side of the moon the album which stayed the longest in the charts, and the wall the most sold double album in history... the beatles? 4 dudes in tuxedo... Image is important but that's not the first priority, plus a lto of new bands already have the image but dont have the music. They wear make up, flashy clothes etc... but will never write a classic
    Eifler121
    Because 80's mainstream rock was all image, and it was the worst decade for rock so far. As bad as any band gets, they know not to go back to that.
    intheshadowplay
    Don't care for his music, but he's right. To paraphrase Bill Hicks, it's nearly all ball-less, soul-less, spine-less corporate bullshit.
    Rands2113
    I'm glad im seeing people mention Coheed and Circa. As you see my user name I am a Coheed fan and have been for a long while. They are different and very underappreciated. I don't pay too much attention to what the older musicians have to say about the bands now. Foo Fighters are very mainstream, they are amazing and that isn't to say mainstream is a bad thing. They are the V/C/V/C/B/C kind of band that most rock bands emulate nowadays.
    AgainstYou
    And I lit a fire that wouldn't go out, until it consumed the walls and roof of this house, until all I remember was burning away, And all that you left me was burning away Aaaaaanyway, bah. I'm sure there was soulless music when he was a kid, it's just that he remembers the stuff with 'fire'. I.e. In 10 years he'll be saying "wow, I wish rock music had fire. Remember in 2012 when guys like Jack White and the Foo Fighters had 'fire', that was great."
    TMoreau15
    the music is most important. but i have been to shows where the music is off the charts but there is no flare or gusto in the performance. the kind of show where i end up sitting in my seat and simply listening.. that's what i do with my itunes, not what i pay money to see. and a charged up performer with gusto will win everyone over everytime. great musicians must also be good entertainers. look at muse, they dont do anything over the top but they are fired up and everyone goes crazy for it because the performance has some oumf behind it
    salcedo305
    I'm tired of there old farts claiming "rock is dead" "where is the fire, blah blah, blah" It's out there, the old farts are just not looking.
    jekylhyde
    I love Alice Cooper, but.... old geezers never get what the youngsters are up to. Just like old people didn't get Alice in the 70's. But still, he has a point.
    TheExterminator
    Patrick L wrote: These 50 year old former rock stars only judge the state of rock music on mainstream rock. If you look behind the scenes there is some amazing music being made and no one even recognizes it.
    There is hardly any underground Rock, though. All that's left is soulless hacks who have no oomph to their music. You got bands trying way too hard to sound like they're from the 70's, and you got bands trying way too hard to sound progressive. The former has no spirit, the latter has no power. ..And Black Veil Brides is trying way too hard to bring back Glam Metal, which died out in the first place because it was a horrendous, commercial trend that all but killed Rock music. Then there's Nickelback, and Theory of a Deadman, and all those other radio-rock posers. Less flannel and hipster beards, more long hair and leather jackets. Less weed, more speed. Drink lots of alcohol and smoke cigarettes to fix those whiny vocals.
    BigSpence
    If more rock bands put more effort into songwriting and song structure, we wouldn't have this problem. Verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus is so boring and dull. Look at bands like Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, and The Mars Volta. Their music is interesting and amazing to listen to.
    Idiot Pineapple
    1. Making music for image is the worst thing you can possibly do to music 2. Top 100 rockstar talking only about top 100 rock acts. Nothing to see here folks. Turn off your radio and listen to the thousands of amazing acts there are right now who are getting their music out on the internet.
    AzureDrake
    KEEPTHE METAL33 wrote: I don't think an "image" is necessary but I do agree with what he said in terms of the actual music. It's rather boring in general and that's the part that matters most.
    This is everything I wanted to say.
    sherry07
    I've thought this for a long time. A lot of modern bands just don't have energy, the spirit. They sound... dead. Alice has put this perfectly.
    SGofawesome
    The only band I can think of that's made it famous because of their looks and has sucky music is GWAR. One band out of all the bands I can think of. I'd rather much rely on a unique sound, thank you.
    HenriqueAlmeida
    People should stop complainig about how music used to be better because its complete bullshit! Back in the day there were some awsome things going on with Zeppelin, Deep Purple,Doors etc etc...But our generation has incredible bands to look up to...they just choose to listen to bands of long-haired tattoed eunuchs...cmon people we have The Mars Volta, God Is an Astronaut, Porcupine Tree, Isis, endless incredible bands...And where is the fire you ask? Mastodon, Baroness, Bison BC, High On Fire...these bands have balls the size of entire solar systems so stop complaining...
    risewtf2
    "I just dont get the fact that everybody is so against having image." I feel like many bands try not to be too obsessed with having an image at the same time.. There's a happy medium between being too obsessed with image and ignoring individuality altogether. The hair metal days were an era that was too obsessed with image, and now i feel that rock n roll is on the other end of the spectrum.
    $hithappen$16
    I agree with Alice that a lot of bands seem more set on blending in with the crowd than trying to do omething different. But personally, I prefer bands who arn't about the image. In my opinion, yes the Black Veil Brides do have a distinct look, but not a distinct sound.I feel like they focus too much on the imagery and not enough on the music. I prefer a band that goes up on stage in typical jeans and t-shirts who have an entirely unique sound, rather than a band with a unique image and generic sound. Alice has the best of both worlds, His music is unique as well ashis image. I think if you have a unique image you need to be set on having a unique soun as well
    Gortorek
    He looks like bill murray, when he's wearing zombie makeup in Zombieland.
    SkepsisMetal
    If you're going to make a career out of being an entertainer via the medium of music then the look you have is just as important as the sounds you make. Elsewise, carry on shoegazing and blending in with the rest of your scene, I'll just buy the CD and not bother paying to support you live, dressing in your merchandise or looking up to your image. Alice has the right of it here.
    headbanger32594
    While Rock is known for being edgy, it would be boring if it was all the time. It is a wonderful genre, because it captures a spectrum of moods through all of it's sub-genres.