Alter Bridge: Blackbird Tops Best Guitar Solos Poll
Alter Bridge's Blackbird has topped Guitarist magazine's best solos poll.
Posted on Mar 24, 2011 01:05 pm
Mike Myers's protestations of "Stairway? Denied" from the 1991 comedy Wayne's World may well be rearing their heads again across internet forums in the coming days, with the surprise revelation that Alter Bridge's Blackbird has topped Guitarist magazine's best solos poll.
The poll, which took nominations from readers, ranked the guitar work of Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy above works by the likes of Slash, Dave Gilmour and Jimmy Page.
The full list is as follows:
01. Alter Bridge - Blackbird (Mark Tremonti/Myles Kennedy)
02. Van Halen - Eruption (Eddie Van Halen)
03. Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine (Slash)
04. Guns N' Roses - November Rain (Slash)
05. Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (David Gilmour)
06. Dream Theater - Hollow Years (John Petrucci, Live At Budokan)
07. Dream Theater - Under A Glass Moon (John Petrucci)
08. Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (Jimmy Page)
09. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (Gary Rossington/Allen Collins)
10. Megadeth - Tornado Of Souls (Marty Friedman)
11. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
12. Steve Vai - For the Love Of God
13. Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
14. The Eagles - Hotel California (Joe Walsh/Don Felder)
15. Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing (Mark Knopfler)
16. Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You (Jimmy Page)
17. Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues
18. Michael Jackson - Beat It (Eddie Van Halen)
19. Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness (James Dean Bradfield)
20. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Martin Barre)
According to RockAAA.com, it's a status that Kennedy is not entirely comfortable with: "Thank you! Really honoured to have even been included among such iconic solos. A little uncomfortable with the idea that it was voted the best'. I don't necessarily agree that our solo deserves that title at least my half. It was an immense honour to be nominated in this poll. Looking at the other listed nominees it seemed absolutely impossible to win. We definitely feel unworthy and want to thank our die-hard fan base for voting!"
The duo unanimously agreed that their favourite solo was Dave Gilmour's Comfortably Numb, which came in at number 5.