Another No 1 Disc For Nickelback

Despite the recent controversy south of the border regarding a certain halftime show, it looks like there is still a lot of love for Nickelback in Canada.

Another No 1 Disc For Nickelback
0
Despite the recent controversy south of the border regarding a certain halftime show in Detroit, it looks like there is still a lot of love for Nickelback in Canada. The Hanna, Alta. band's latest album, "Here And Now", sold a respectable 50,000 copies this week north of the border, according to data provided by Neilsen SoundScan. This gives the band their fifth-straight No. 1 album. The rockers made headlines last week after a Detroit-area man launched an online petition to axe the band from the Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving Day game against the Green Bay Packers. Over 50,000 people signed the petition, but it failed to stop the Nickelback performance. And while Chad Kroeger and co. are kings of the charts this week, fellow Canadian Drake didn't fare as well. The Toronto rapper, whose album "Take Care" debuted at No. 1 last week, nearly fell off the chart this week to land at No. 9. Crooner Michael Buble held strong in the second spot with his Christmas album fittingly titled "Christmas" (45,000) and Rihanna's sixth album "Talk That Talk" (30,000) came in third. Adele's remarkable charts run continued as her disc "21" dropped one place to No. 4, while Justin Bieber's holiday offering "Under The Mistletoe" slipped down one spot to No. 5. Three albums by French-Canadians also made debuts with Francois Perusse's "Tome 8" at No. 6, Fred Pellerin's "C'Est Un Monde" at No. 7 and "Nous" by Maxime Landry in tenth place. Vancouver pop-punk band Marianas Trench debuted at No. 8. with their third album "Ever After". Stateside, it was Michael Buble in first place, Nickelback in second, Rihanna in third and Drake at No. 4. Mary J. Blige's ninth studio album "My Life II: The Journey Continues, Act I" rounded out the top five. Thanks for the report to Jam.Canoe.ca.

101 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Fireballz 1077
    JimBonJovi wrote: It's not as good as Dark Horse but still has some superb riffs. "This Means War" ravages in Drop A# but to be honest, that's probably the only really really decent song on the record.
    Wait...Dark Horse was good?
    ComradSputnik
    I don't like nickelback, but I hate how people whine about them and how much they suck etc. ou have to give em props for selling so many records end surviving in the music business. So either make better music, or shut the hell up.
    RichieJovie
    Good luck to them. Funny how keyboard warriors hate everyone unless they happen to be unheard of bands from the end of their road that only play on Thursdays with a U in the month and if there is a full moon. Then if they become successful they hate them too. Too much negativity.
    ne14t
    fede01_8 wrote: wow, a lot of shit coming out of Canada... and don't ****ing name me Rush, they always use them as an excuse to prove they have good bands
    Anvil...Metal on Metal, watch the documentary of them and see what the metal world had to say about them. On another note Canadians shouldn't have to apologize for shit. For a country who has a total population less then the state of California alone we are doing pretty good. It's not like the world has demanded America apologizes for the copious amounts of shitty bands that have come out of there...wont even get started on that whole genre of Country music whining about the girl that left ya, your dirt farm and your broken Ford truck. Simply put if you don't like the music don't listen but until you sell more records don't run your mouth either. Sincerely, A Canadian Nickleback Hater
    biff022
    Dr. Koolaide wrote: ComradSputnik wrote: I don't like nickelback, but I hate how people whine about them and how much they suck etc. ou have to give em props for selling so many records end surviving in the music business. So either make better music, or shut the hell up. I refuse to give anybody "props" for selling a bunch of records. Justin Bieber moves records, should we give him props? The only reason they've survived is because they're so bland that its hard for the mainstream to find anything bad about them.
    Funny... I do make better music than Nickleback.
    mickallica
    You look at the others behind nickelback in the list...not very much encouraging!
    Vypor
    I'll say man I've had my doubts and dislikes about Nickel Back is the past - but I do have to give them props. Not only for how successful they have been with thier music (whether I like it or not), but when 50,000 people stood up and said I don't want you here they stood thier ground and did it anyways. It takes alot of guts to do something like that - and they walked away from it with their heads high. Even though I don't really care much for Nickel Back, I found it inspirational.
    leony03
    wtbskill91 wrote: Fuck Nickelback. I hope their tour bus goes over a patch of black ice this winter, tips over and kills the bassist.
    Dude, have some respect for the dead! Just because a certain band doesnt resemble your tastes, it doesnt mean they have to die? Is your surname by any chance Hitler?
    ComradSputnik
    Dr. Koolaide wrote: ComradSputnik wrote: I don't like nickelback, but I hate how people whine about them and how much they suck etc. ou have to give em props for selling so many records end surviving in the music business. So either make better music, or shut the hell up. I refuse to give anybody "props" for selling a bunch of records. Justin Bieber moves records, should we give him props? The only reason they've survived is because they're so bland that its hard for the mainstream to find anything bad about them.
    Yes you should, if people are dumb enough to buy their music, then why should they stop doing what they're doing? What's wrong with making music to earn money? Every person has a different perspective regarding music, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're making music for the sake of music, and it has a higher meaning to you, then why are you wasting your time criticising the rest? Your whining doesn't contribute in any way. In a way, I respect most artists for the hard work they put into their records, regardless of genre or musical ideology.
    Dr. Koolaide
    ComradSputnik wrote: I don't like nickelback, but I hate how people whine about them and how much they suck etc. ou have to give em props for selling so many records end surviving in the music business. So either make better music, or shut the hell up.
    I refuse to give anybody "props" for selling a bunch of records. Justin Bieber moves records, should we give him props? The only reason they've survived is because they're so bland that its hard for the mainstream to find anything bad about them.
    FearOfTheDuck
    MegaGreg wrote: sickassfoo wrote: what does canada know about music. they brought s Justin beiber Devin Townsend. Just Devin Townsend.
    Canadia also bought us Cancer Bats, Alexisonfire and Sum 41! Good times
    TheBloodstained
    CSMusic wrote: Haters. They gonna hate.
    Ain't that the truth! :/ I don't like Nickelback, but I don't hate them either. I think a lot of the comments made here makes me sad, 'cause they remind me of how people reacted towards me when I first began listening to metal! Some of my friends and my parents weren't too fund of it, and they said the same things about MY MUSIC, and that made me feel left alone and sad! I think there's a lot of shallow people in this comment section. You aren't going to be better musicians for bashing a certain band - it'll just make you part of the hating-bandwagon! If some of you consider yourself musicians, then take a minute to stop and think about it.
    AcdcTXfan
    RayRay050697 wrote: JESUS. I'm sick of Nickelback, their music and their fans. And it's pretty sad that people believe that because they sell a lot of records that they are even the slightest bit credible. I truly am sick of rock music such as this.
    They're obviously pretty well liked if they sell a lot. And sorry if I ruined your life by liking Nickelback.
    Tonganation
    Just sampled their new album. Mostly soft and poppy stuff, though different from what they've done before. Doesn't make it good though. The vocals are still anthemic and sing-along, which has bugged me since I realized Nickelback aren't very good. I do hate to say it, but if they changed the pop direction they could be decent. The first two tracks aren't absolutely terrible and are good hard rockers. And the solo in Bottoms Up is fairly impressive. If they went in a complete hard rock direction, lost the uninspired lyrics and anthemic vocals, and added more guitar solos they might be able to make an album I could enjoy.
    rob904
    Yea for Nickleback! LOVE how people rip on these guys while they sell more CDs than most anyone else in metal (And yes....they are metal. Not metal gods like the Big 4 and such, but metal none the less).
    What an uneducated statement.
    JFRules
    If you don't like it don't listen to it. It's still rock music and rather have this on the radio then Pop stuff. I'm not a huge fan but if they sell records what does that change in my life?
    Paddy McK
    By god no! A commercially successful mainstream rock band?!? How could this be? Seriously, why are people annoyed that rock music (albeit not great music) is in the charts? Not a Nickleback fan but they're better than 95% of modern chart music
    DifferentWorld
    I feel like a lot of Nickelback hate at this point is bandwagon hate. Don't get me wrong, I'm a metalhead to the core, but their music isn't really all that bad, it's just on the radio all the time. All. The. Time. Listen to some of their songs that you don't hear on the radio that often. They're actually a pretty decent hard rock band. Their drummer, for one, is super underrated. Listen to something like "Side of a Bullet", it's a tribute to Dimebag Darrell and it's actually pretty vicious.
    transplants182
    xstatic44 wrote: transplants182 wrote: xstatic44 wrote: Gajillionaire's $ >>>>> Your $ I think Nickelback sucks, but when in God's name will people figure this out? Hopefully people never figure "this" out because it's a dumb thing to say. I would rather listen to an unheard of guy in a coffee shop who writes good songs than a tired cash cow rock band with gajillions of dollars who write mediocre songs. I don't recall asking people to listen to them, nor to support them in any way? Infer what you'd like from my comments, I guess. I certainly enjoy the finer things of life, myself, so I would agree with you, although maybe not with a guy in a coffee shop. But can you really incriminate a guy who has figured out a formula that has made him millions?
    Good for him for making money, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying why people on this site hate them, because most people on here like music for its quality and not how much money the person who made it has. I'm not knocking them for making money, but in my opinion they write boring music.
    Iliekgitaz
    JimBonJovi wrote: threedaysgrace9 wrote: Even by Nickelback standards, the new album is quite awful. It's not as good as Dark Horse but still has some superb riffs. "This Means War" ravages in Drop A# but to be honest, that's probably the only really really decent song on the record.
    I thought Dark Horse was the crappiest Nickelback album. This Means War and When We Stand Together are quite good, and though I don't like the lyrics. I do love the rest of Bottoms Up
    falco.1993
    How adorable, they think they're actual musicians.
    mustaine42 wrote: I will finally say what I've wanted to for awhile. Nickelback used to be awesome. From the State to Silver Side Up anyway. SSU was badass and easily my favorite NB album. The ones after were okay, and then Dark Horse came out. That album pissed me the **** off. Sex and drinkin. That's all it was about. They had a song called S.E.X. Who the **** do they think they are fooling? I hated that CD so much. The new album wasn't as bad. It was ok. This Means War was the best song on the CD, but I am thankful there was only one drinking song and one sex song. The majority of the songs were soft rock songs. Bottoms Up surprised me. There was actually a kickass solo in there. Anyway, the band is not that band. Just because they don't play polyrhythms (thank god) and arpeggios every ****ing second doesn't mean they suck. I'm no more a Nickelback fan than the next guy but my god is this getting old. They deserve an award for the amount of sh*t they put up with. Do you realize how pretentious you all sound? You say they suck based on nothing. I have yet to see one legit musical reason. They've sold 50 million records. You morons say that doesn't account for them not sucking. It does too. It means 50 million people don't think they suck. Now get on with your lives.
    Actually, polyrhythms would actually make their music somewhat interesting.
    ultimatelefty
    MegaGreg wrote: sickassfoo wrote: what does canada know about music. they brought s Justin beiber Devin Townsend. Just Devin Townsend.
    Also, We have Rush and Neil Young
    Carlos_Atreides
    "My Life II: The Journey Continues, Act I" Yo dawg! I heard you liked albums, so Ima gonna put your album inside your album so yo can hear your album while you hear your album.
    mustaine42
    I will finally say what I've wanted to for awhile. Nickelback used to be awesome. From the State to Silver Side Up anyway. SSU was badass and easily my favorite NB album. The ones after were okay, and then Dark Horse came out. That album pissed me the **** off. Sex and drinkin. That's all it was about. They had a song called S.E.X. Who the **** do they think they are fooling? I hated that CD so much. The new album wasn't as bad. It was ok. This Means War was the best song on the CD, but I am thankful there was only one drinking song and one sex song. The majority of the songs were soft rock songs. Bottoms Up surprised me. There was actually a kickass solo in there. Anyway, the band is not that band. Just because they don't play polyrhythms (thank god) and arpeggios every ****ing second doesn't mean they suck. I'm no more a Nickelback fan than the next guy but my god is this getting old. They deserve an award for the amount of sh*t they put up with. Do you realize how pretentious you all sound? You say they suck based on nothing. I have yet to see one legit musical reason. They've sold 50 million records. You morons say that doesn't account for them not sucking. It does too. It means 50 million people don't think they suck. Now get on with your lives.
    jfitch832
    Vypor wrote: I'll say man I've had my doubts and dislikes about Nickel Back is the past - but I do have to give them props. Not only for how successful they have been with thier music (whether I like it or not), but when 50,000 people stood up and said I don't want you here they stood thier ground and did it anyways. It takes alot of guts to do something like that - and they walked away from it with their heads high. Even though I don't really care much for Nickel Back, I found it inspirational.
    Standing their ground? Inspirational? They were most likely contractually obligated..a contract which I'm assuming made them a pretty penny. I like money just like everyone else, but there are way better things you could find inspiration from. Nickelback are not the leaders of the crusade against oppression.
    JD.15
    every single band/ artist mentioned in this article is terrible.
    ninfan200
    SoA_Joseph wrote: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
    the earth isn't too fond of you either
    kill it
    i don't like this band, but chad kroeger is a genius at writing modern rock radio hits. 5 number one albums in a row is certainly proof of that. i bet a thousand guitarists will read this and say they could easily write a hit pop song too. then will claim they won't because it is 'selling out'. they'll then get up tomorrow morning to work at a job they hate, which in my opinion is 'selling out' too. probably for much less money and the fringe benefits that come with being in a successful pop band.
    transplants182
    xstatic44 wrote: Gajillionaire's $ >>>>> Your $ I think Nickelback sucks, but when in God's name will people figure this out?
    Hopefully people never figure "this" out because it's a dumb thing to say. I would rather listen to an unheard of guy in a coffee shop who writes good songs than a tired cash cow rock band with gajillions of dollars who write mediocre songs.
    JimBonJovi
    threedaysgrace9 wrote: Even by Nickelback standards, the new album is quite awful.
    It's not as good as Dark Horse but still has some superb riffs. "This Means War" ravages in Drop A# but to be honest, that's probably the only really really decent song on the record.
    That_Hot_Guy
    I hate the hate on Nickelback. Go listen to your crappy indie music because you are such a "hipster", or enjoy your br00tal heavy metal riffs and show how you are fighting against the 'establishment'.
    Dr. Koolaide
    ryaniomitch wrote: take a leaf out of Corey Taylor's book. as corey put it, he can respect him, he doesnt like him but the kid is like 16 or 17 and has achieved more in the 1 and a bit years that he's been in the public eye than you have in your life. He is the biggest name in the world. I reckon more people know who he is than barack obama or osama. he has phenomenal wealth, the abilty to get anyone/ anything he wants/needs and he enjoys touring the world playing sold out gigs night after night. quit the ****ing trolling of bieber. you might not like him but respect him.
    I refuse to give my respect to people who cash in on the general public. I ACCEPT that a lot of people are content being fed whatever is on the front page of itunes but I won't respect somebody just because they're successful, that's stupid. I respect artists that push the boundaries and don't just try to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
    AcdcTXfan
    Look, are Nickelback the most skilled guitar players? No. Not even close. But Nickelback is my favorite band and I'll admit that. People listen to Nickelback because their lyrics are fun and it relates to everyone. Same reason country music is so popular.
    Abacus11
    Why are they posting articles about Nickelback on a website for musicians?
    fede01_8
    JimBonJovi wrote: threedaysgrace9 wrote: Even by Nickelback standards, the new album is quite awful. It's not as good as Dark Horse but still has some superb riffs. "This Means War" ravages in Drop A# but to be honest, that's probably the only really really decent song on the record.
    wow they have a song with a Drop A# riff, the record must be really good then... idiot
    jdwilson223
    They are fully aware of how many people out there don't like their music. And they refuse to change regardless. Gotta give them some credit for that at least.
    Azbats63
    It's pretty simple really: People buy Nickelback's music because it's fun. They're not prattling on about a pet cause or trying to convince everyone how important they are, they really do just want to rock out and have fun. Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few people out there who wouldn't recognize fun if it came up and bit them on their taint.
    betterman5
    falloutrecon3 wrote: fede01_8 wrote: wow, a lot of shit coming out of Canada... and don't ****ing name me Rush, they always use them as an excuse to prove they have good bands Protest the hero? Billy Talent? Illscarlett? Ten Second Epic? April Wine? The Guess Who? Our Lady peace? Alexisonfire? Ok I think I made my point.. Nickelback does suck though
    It's funny because all the bands you named are shit and possibly worse than Nickelback.
    MT_Obsidian
    quit the ****ing trolling of bieber. you might not like him but respect him.
    No. I have no reason to respect him and I never will.