Axl Rose Rejects Hall Of Fame

In an open letter, the Guns N' Roses frontman says he wants nothing to do with the forthcoming ceremony, and wants his name removed from the award.

Axl Rose Rejects Hall Of Fame
9
Axl Rose is so fed up with the pressure from fans and friends to front Guns N' Roses at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame that he has written an open letter saying he won't even attend the event. Further, he has asked the organisers to remove his name as a co-founder of the band, shutting himself out from the awar entirely. In the open letter posted to the GN'R website, Axl reveals that he did in fact make efforts to arrange a performance, but feels the Hall Of Fame organisers do not want or respect him enough. He firmly requests that no-one accepts an award on his behalf, but hopes fans are not disappointed with his decision. Despite this hard stance, Axl thanks the board for their nomination to induct GN'R, and the fans for helping the band active success over the years. Here are some highlights from his surprisingly eloquent open letter: "When the nominations for the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame were first announced I had mixed emotions but, in an effort to be positive, wanting to make the most of things for the fans and with their enthusiasm, I was honored, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation. "Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses, had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts. "Under the circumstances I feel we've been polite, courteous, and open to an amicable solution in our efforts to work something out. Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in 'our' induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... No offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected. "For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine. "That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. "I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf.[...] "For more than a decade and a half we've endured the double standards, the greed of this industry and the ever present seemingly limitless supply of wannabes and unscrupulous, irresponsible media types. Not to imply anything in this particular circumstance, but from my perspective in regard to both the Hall and a reunion, the ball's never been in our court." What do you think? Has Axl been reasonable, or should he get over his frustrations and accept the award? Share your opinion in the comments.

152 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    schirripar
    metallicaftwlp wrote: how disappointing...this is a new low even for him.
    A new low? This was a good move. The HOF puts pop acts in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame but rejects some of the most major rock acts of all time for really no reason. It's nice that someone wants to stick it to them. I'm not even really that big of an Axl Rose fan. I just think he did what most other musicians wouldn't do.
    ShakeMe90 wrote: Someone please kidnap Axl Rose and John Frusciante, giftwrap them, and drop them on the corner of the HOF
    It's not like the Froosh isn't being inducted, he just doesn't want to go to the ceremony because it would feel weird for him. He is emotionally detached from RHCP right now and seeing them back on stage might make him regret leaving (which is awesome for RHCP fans, but sucky for the fans that want to hear the 400 something songs he has written and not released.) It's like seeing your ex getting married. It's awkward. You don't want to see that
    ShakeMe90
    Someone please kidnap Axl Rose and John Frusciante, giftwrap them, and drop them on the corner of the HOF
    Maestro1600
    Right, first of all, yes, Axl is an egotistical idiot who has let petty grudges ruin his career. BUT, this is fine. He's written a sensible letter making a sensible, and let's face it, rock'n'roll decision. Sticking it to the man!(sorry, I know it's a cliched phrase, but hey...) Everytime the HoF is mentioned, people on here just whine about either Rush not getting in, or hip hop/pop acts being inducted. When a star (even a tool like Axl) doesn't care about or respect it, though, people whine about him instead. I love early Guns, but Axl doesn't owe me, or anyone else, a reunion. Sure it's be great, and he's got sucky reasons for turning it down, but they're his reasons. His choice, and fair enough.
    WholeLottaIzzy
    He has every right to do this. You gotta do what's right for you and I admire his decision here. However, I do think they should have all performed together one last time and then put it to bed. Then they can all go their separate ways ending the proper GnR legacy on a good note. This is very disappointing, but not surprising.
    Crofty89
    ShakeMe90 wrote: Someone please kidnap Axl Rose and John Frusciante, giftwrap them, and drop them on the corner of the HOF
    Let Frusciante off, he's always been uncomfortable with the recognition and fame he got as part of the chili peppers. He's said while he's grateful for the award, he's not comfortable being part of the ceremony.
    Dukey
    And people out there are calling Lars Ulrich a "douche"... Axl Rose is the best thing that ever happened to Guns 'n' Roses and the worst thing that ever happened to Guns 'n' Roses.
    SmittyMan90
    At least he had the balls to stand up and say this, gotta give him props for that.
    This1GoesTo11
    The Hall of Fame doesn't respect you, Axl? All they want to do is honor you and the music you helped create. You're the one who doesn't give respect. You go on and on about the fans, but they don't get one bit of respect from you. If you did, you'd bite your toungue and accepting this honor like a gentleman. we've all done it before. So can you. Especially someone who is so appreciative of their fans. And what is this bullshit?... "There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." If you appreciate the fans so much, why don't you bring shit into the light? Let us in on these so-called "actual realities". What don't we know? That would be treating us with respect. Maybe then you won't seem like such a dick. My guess is, however, you'll still seem like a dick...probably even more of a dick...because you are dick. I'll bet people have been "disprespecting you" your whole life, right? Everyone is against you. It's never you. Whack job. P.S. Stop talking about the new band like you're one big happy family. The don't love you. They fear you. It's a dictatorship. You could and would fire any one of them at the drop of a hat. That's not a band, it's an alpha-male power trip.
    Irwin Navarro
    I got an idea. Just my 2 cents here. Slash, Gilby Clarke, Duff Mckagan, and Matt Sorum, should perform featuring Myles Kennedy or M Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold. And the new GNR could ask Sebastian Bach to do vocals for them. If not, just let Tommy Stinson do the singing,
    DickHardwood
    The way I see it,it just looks like he wanted to play with the current line up,was told to **** off..so he ****ed off. Apparently he doesn't even want to be associated with the appetite line up anymore,let alone play with them-at least Slash,probably Steven too,Izzy wouldn't be coming anyway,just **** it.
    Rebel Scum
    There's more to this than meets the eye and no one here can possibly know why he wants to not go. That said, GnR is still being inducted.
    MetalMullet
    You know what's wrong with Axl? That you people care. Would you care if a random couple in your friendly neighborhood got a divorce and kept on arguing? No. Why not? Because it's their business. Fans that actually care about the gossip circulating bands and celebrities are so pathetic. Listen to their music and f*ck the rest. Why are they so interesting that you actually pay attention to sh*t like this?
    metallica-#1
    It'd be nice if on the night of the induction, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven were all on stage with no singer, then after a long pause Axl walks out and the place goes ape shit Revealing that the original members and HoF organizers were in cahoots the whole time and all these press-releases and interviews were just a clever scheme to make the night just that much more incredible /dream
    ruste84
    What a loser! Why did the Hall waste their time when they should have inducted Rush?
    Minivirus2
    ShakeMe90 wrote: Someone please kidnap Axl Rose and John Frusciante, giftwrap them, and drop them on the corner of the HOF
    Rather see Izzy there first, thb. This is the first time in a LONG time, I've actually come away with some respect for Axl after reading an article that involves him. Can we put the reunion wishes to rest finally?
    SpaceJunkie
    pretty sure axl is just a complicated girl in disguise and is anticipating his first period
    dr_shred
    Granted Axl can and be an absolute idiot a lot of the time, why is everybody ready to rip his head off when he has given a rather calm and collected explanation as to why he doesn't want to or need to play/be at the HoF induction?
    Kenjamin91
    What a shit show. Just man up, let go of the grudge against Slash and at least be able to breathe in the same room as him. It's all quite childish. But I guess no one can force him to be inducted.
    metallicaftwlp
    schirripar wrote: metallicaftwlp wrote: how disappointing...this is a new low even for him. A new low? This was a good move. The HOF puts pop acts in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame but rejects some of the most major rock acts of all time for really no reason. It's nice that someone wants to stick it to them. I'm not even really that big of an Axl Rose fan. I just think he did what most other musicians wouldn't do.
    It's not about HoF, it's that he can't get over some 15-20 year old feud which will disappoint a lot of fans.
    PlayMeSomeFloyd
    ***News Flash*** Axl, NOBODY respects you. That's what happens when you act like Rock N' Roll's biggest dirtbag.
    Caughtinamosh90
    Since then we've listened to fans, talked with members of the board of the Hall Of Fame, communicated with and read various public comments and jabs from former members of Guns N' Roses , had discussions with the president of the Hall Of Fame, read various press (some legit, some contrived) and read other artists' comments weighing in publicly on Guns and the Hall with their thoughts."
    I'm surprised nobody commented on this. I can't help but feel Steven's comment about "Hacks N' Roses" made Axls decision final.
    .:!j.man!:.
    The last few articles concerning Axl havnt been bad... Why are you guys all like this? We dont know the guy, his disputes are between himself and others. Stop dictating.
    Subatomic7
    If Axl had to go a day without saying or writing I or me, the Earth would explode.
    mpk3432
    its a double bluff, he said he wouldnt attend the 2012 ceremony, GN'R get inducted in 2013
    cargath
    schirripar wrote: metallicaftwlp wrote: how disappointing...this is a new low even for him. A new low? This was a good move. The HOF puts pop acts in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame but rejects some of the most major rock acts of all time for really no reason. It's nice that someone wants to stick it to them. I'm not even really that big of an Axl Rose fan. I just think he did what most other musicians wouldn't do.
    But that's not the reason Axl isn't going. He isn't going, because he's like a child.
    Since the announcement of the nomination we've actively sought out a solution to what, with all things considered, appears to be a no win, at least for me, "damned if I do, damned if I don't" scenario all the way around.
    How's it a no win situation? Go and win. Don't go and be an ass again. The HOF is pathetic, but it'd be an opportunity for a one of gig with the real Guns N Roses, so he should stop whining and get over it. Fans would love to watch it happen. If he'd still have to take shit, that's because he's been an ass for years, but he won't change peoples opinion by being the one who got in the way of a "reunion". But then again, he can't even show up to his own gigs on time, so why would he play with Slash?
    party_on_wayne
    schirripar wrote: A new low? This was a good move. The HOF puts pop acts in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame but rejects some of the most major rock acts of all time for really no reason. It's nice that someone wants to stick it to them.
    I see your point, BUT it's still the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Just because a 14 year-old girl guys a pink Daisy Rock guitar at Guitar Center doesn't mean you never go there again... I hope. The point is, someone is trying to honor him (despite his unique antics...) and he is essentially giving them the finger. Very unprofessional. Textbook ***** right there.
    tom11
    If he doesn't want his name down as an original member of GnR then shouldn't he stop using the name for his current karaoke band? What a dick.
    GuilT
    Love him or hate him, the guy does what he wants, when he wants. He lives his life his way, not by what people want or expect of him. Kudos to you Axl.
    AcdcTXfan
    Skaternick98 wrote: Slash is still going though.. Right..?
    \ Yes. Probably the reason Axl isn't going.
    Spartan101400
    It's nice to see someone deny the induction. The Hall of Fame is possibly one of the biggest shams in Rock and Roll.
    westley23j
    Ibeanez wrote: There is no way in hell he wrote that letter. Just saying.
    agreed. this sounds too much like a document a lawyer would type up. not an over the hill rock star who thinks the world, and the RnR HoF, owe him something.
    metalplayer0-1
    Hopes fans are not disappointed? What the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame represents aside - you totally didn't disappoint us by ruining probably last ever chance for the best Rock n' Roll band in the world to re-unite.. note the sarcasm.
    bearmod
    Jesus Christ, Axl is probably the only person that would bitch about being inducted into the Hall of Fame. I'm glad he decided not to do it and have his name taken off the award, he doesn't deserve it
    Tallica9000
    It's completely within his rights to do so, but Axl has to remember that the only reason he thinks he's hot shit, was because Appetite for Destruction was so big all those years ago. That's the only reason anyone knows who he is. Same with Slash.
    rickyj
    I wanna see Axl's face when the appetite lineup plays with Myles Kennedy in his place.
    This1GoesTo11
    Dear Axl, The Hall of Fame doesn't respect you? Hmmmm. All they want to do is honor you and the music you helped create. The fact is you're the one who doesn't give respect. You go on and on about the fans, but they don't get one bit of respect from you. If they did, you'd bite your toungue and accept this honor like a gentleman. We've all done it before. So can you. Especially someone who is so appreciaitve of his fans. And what is this bullshit?... "There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities. Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion." If you appreciate the fans so much, why don't you bring shit into the light? Let us in on these so-called "actual realities". What don't we know? Now that WOULD BE treating us with respect. Maybe then you won't seem like such a dick. My guess is, however, even after the actual realities are disclosed, you'll still seem like a dick...probably even more of a dick...because you are dick. I'll bet people have been "disrespecting you" your whole life, right? Everyone is against you. It's never you. Whack job. P.S. Stop talking about the new band like you're one big happy family. They don't love you. They work for you. They probably fear you. It's a dictatorship. You could and would fire any one of them at the drop of a hat. That's not a band, my friend. It's an alpha-male power trip. Sincerely, One of the fans who "made your success possible"