Axl Rose Slams 'Guitar Hero'

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose has slammed Activision, the makers of computer game Guitar Hero, for using his band's songs in the game.

0
Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose has slammed Activision, the makers of computer game Guitar Hero, for using his band's songs in the game. In an open letter to fans, the singer hinted that legal proceedings may occur, saying that "it'll need some sorting". Rose said that he didn't object to former Guns guitarist Slash being involved in the game, but claimed that the songs "Welcome To The Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' Mine" were being used in an "unauthorised" state. "Him [Slash] being [in] 'Guitar Hero''s fine but not when Activison is using 'Jungle' unauthorized," he wrote in the garbled letter. "I wasn't broadsided," he continued. "I read about it as it moved along but Activision continually denied it right up to the release. That's some low life chicanery on all their parts. "Yes, Slash was in Guns and on 'Jungle' and he has rights to perform it, but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they weren't granted the license it'll take some sorting." Thanks for the report to Nme.com.

258 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    SirAndy
    it s just stupid that axl cant even tolerate that they are using guns old music in a videogame that can be promoting for them
    LasPlagas
    Wow those songs have been in the games for HOW many years, and he just NOW brings up the so called "copyright issues"? COME ON. Go ahead and try to sue the world. It will save time. You'll get there eventually anyways.
    RUSTDOGG666
    Okay I think he's just finding something to yell about especially after joe yelling about coldplay stealing from him so now Axl needs to accuse something or someone stealing from him. It's okay Axl, we all know your just frustrated cause you can't hit the buttons on a toy guitar in time and keep a good rhythm. don't give up you'll learn coordination one day. maybe thats why you stuck to vocals and booze all your life and didnt learn guitar. haha.
    metallifreak77
    Axl is the Lars Ulrich of what WAS guns n roses. Axl, will you ever stop being a dick about everything?
    Mr. Skull
    he's a jerk, but hopefully he totally ruins activision before it has a chance to release GHmetallica and make a bunch of posers
    lopezmetalmunky
    I think we need to put a suit limit on Axl Rose. Seriously, soon he'll start suing people when they use the word "Child" because of his song "Sweet Child 'O Mine."
    Wakisazhi
    BuzzinUtu wrote: Wakisazhi wrote: However he has created a contradiction in saying its okay for Slash to play G'N'R songs which is portrayed in the game, there is no connections being pressed that it's referring to G'N'R as a whole. If he wants to press that then he'd be pressing on Slash's image which is something he does not own copyright to, not to mention like as its been stated before it's Slash's guitar riffs and Duff's bass lines you're playing to, something Axl had no participation in creating since you want to talk IP. He has no case since if he knew about it like he said he did then he had ample time to act which he did not. Good point, Axl has probably stuffed himself by saying he was aware of the situation, and really there is no case to answer(at least I hope not), but there is a difference between Slash being able to play GnR songs and actually using the original GnR recordings, which I can only assume are owned by Axl. I agree that knowing the legal higgle-de-pickle-de there is little chance Activision would not have had permission to use GnR songs. So the question is 'What is Axl on about?', and I would have to say this statement is probably just another attempt by Axl to cement the notion that Slash is no longer part of GnR in the 21st century, and that using Slash's image in any connection with GnR is misrepresenting what GnR is today. Problem is, I don't think anybody cares what GnR is today. I think most people would identify Chinese Democracy as an Axl thing. Pitty he doesn't see that. P.S Don't tell Axl that Slash's representation is on the GnR t-shirt I bought for Xmas or he might come and take it away from me.
    Lol, nah first he'd sue you and the T-shirt designers and people who sell it and THEN come take it away from you.
    thunderinblack
    if it was anyone else having there stuff ripped off i would have cared but axle shouldent have the following of fans he has as he is a complete dick to them
    Slash 555
    Wow...if anything he should be thanking Guitar Hero for making his band more popular and exposing a new generation to good music.
    Omnipahnt
    as dickish as his actions may be, I am fully glad that someone is going to **** with guitar hero shits. I can't stand the damn game, they glorify alot of shitty bands and now its so mainstream that every whiney **** that can't play an instrument gets to get good at a game and go around likes there the shit. this ****in game went to far. it needs to end
    ibanez_guru
    Omnipahnt wrote: as dickish as his actions may be, I am fully glad that someone is going to **** with guitar hero shits. I can't stand the damn game, they glorify alot of shitty bands and now its so mainstream that every whiney **** that can't play an instrument gets to get good at a game and go around likes there the shit. this ****in game went to far. it needs to end
    Its about the entertainment value. If you don't like it, don't play it. Moron.
    jimithrash
    tamargoguitar wrote: seriously whats next? is he going to sue flower stores because they sell ROSES???
    LOL!!!!! +1000 but seriously axl is a greta performer but a terrible person in the public. having your song ion guitar hero promotes it a fair bit and he's suing somethin that's makin him money weird man
    kevinm4435
    Dingoman wrote: is Axl even TRYING to be cool anymore? Whos he going to sue next, Toys R' Us?
    ultimate guitar ?
    Matt!
    Warheart1188 wrote: Axl just wants a lawsuit so that he can make the money back that he wasted on Chinese Democracy.
    Correct! (:
    rictazero
    Wow... grow up man... that's all I have to say is grow the hell up... all it is is good publicity anyways (until now, that is).
    Uber Man
    axl if a ****ing douche bag, and i hate him... new guns'n'roses sux ass... wow im gonna get flammed... but **** whoever flames me
    dieinafire
    A clever way of saying "damn, I really regret waiting so long to release my crappy album, but I'll be damned if I end up working at a 7-11, better act fast." *sigh* He needs to just go away. Loser.
    dranzen
    i have to say even though axl is being gay and stupid im happy that hes suing the makers of guitar hero... i hate that game with a passion
    BuzzinUtu
    Oh Yeah, and ditch those blood sucking lawyers that keep trying to bleed you dry! You ditched the drugs years ago, now it's time to ditch Brownstone, Nighttrain & Co and their double talkin jive! Whose got your money now motherf*&&er, cos we got no more patience...man
    str84ever
    RichieJovie wrote: If copyright has been broken then that is the law. It really is quite simple. Whether or not you think Axl is an idiot, he still has legal rights if his property is being used without permission.
    precisely instead of the people doing the usual "axl is an idiot" routine. You may tire of him but i am tiring of your complaining. Just don't bother commenting next time.
    lzrdsixsix6
    Guitar Hero isn't a good game anyway, usually i disagree with Axl but anything to shun Guitar Hero is fine with me
    Wakisazhi
    str84ever wrote: RichieJovie wrote: If copyright has been broken then that is the law. It really is quite simple. Whether or not you think Axl is an idiot, he still has legal rights if his property is being used without permission. precisely instead of the people doing the usual "axl is an idiot" routine. You may tire of him but i am tiring of your complaining. Just don't bother commenting next time.
    The thing though that gets me is where was Axl then in all this? If he knew about it in the process then he had ample time to take action then but he didn't, something just doesn't add up there.
    Jimmyboba
    In Fariness, Slash has every right too use Welcome to the Jungle in Guitar Hero, because he co wrote it, he has rights too it. Because his name is down as a writer, not just under "Guns N Roses" However, Axl is right about SCOM, although its a good song, it was used without any authorisation from Slash, or what remains of GnR (aKa The Axl Rose Solo Project.)
    Viking_Swede666
    axl needs to shut the **** up.....seriously.....noone wants to hear about him and his horrible new album anymore...
    Leper
    Umm...it was a cover? Therefore they didn't use GNR's version and wouldn't need authorization from the band because it's not their work...I'm pretty sure GNR is credited in the game though too so Axl has got nothing. Man, I can't wait til Axl slips up and someone sues the shit out of him
    BuzzinUtu
    Don't get me wrong I'm not no Axl fan, BUT... 1. Axl owns the Guns n Roses BRAND. 2. Slash is no longer affiliated with the BRAND of GnR so any representation of Slash as being part of the BRAND of Guns n Roses is misrepresentation. 3. Although this sounds stupid, the fact is Activision is making a lot of money misrepresenting a BRAND name 4. Axl has a case as Activision is misrepresenting GnR in essence putting a Slash sticker on an Axl owned product (0r as I like to compare it putting a GM badge on a Ford Car) 5. Axl is trying to create a new context of Guns n Roses, complete with a new line up. To have Slash's name and likeness associated with GnR in the 20th Century is like Paul McCartney releasing an album under the Beatles name. 6. Axl released a new song through RockBand, maybe this is just a preliminary to him releasing GnR recordings through this platform. 7. Get over it - Just like the Beatles, the OLD GnR that we all love and Cherish is over, dead and can never return. And frankly who wants that? They were of a time, an era and a place that only survives in our memories. They are no longer the same people, we are no longer the same people, the times are no longer the same. In my mind Axl could have been the myth that Slash has become by taking responsibility for himself and not hiding behind the BRAND that only ever introduced him to the world. Axl, the world was yours for the taking, but instead you chose to forgo your legacy and settle for mere complacency. Axl you are a legend, but Slash has surpassed you and become a myth. It's not too late, ditch the name. Go out solo and blow us all away. Be the man you used to be!
    RukiaTH
    Get over it Axl, Guns N' Roses will always be associated with the original lineup.
    Invisible God
    it's all legal matters and I don't think is stupid if he owns the rights then they needed to ask him so its Activision's stupid fault to be in all this mess..
    thereverendsoup
    Does Axl even own the copyrights to these songs? If they're able to use them without his permission, and he's not openly threatening to sue, chances are that means he signed them away at some point and he knows it. Of course, that's just blind speculation, but I really doubt a company as generally respectable as Activision would release a game as high-profile as Guitar Hero without getting all their copyrights straight. There's no way they don't have lawyers checking into everything to make sure it's legit..