Black Keys: 'Sean Parker Is An A--hole'

The Napster founder, now a board member with Spotify, has been slammed by the Black Keys drummer for "stealing royalties from artists".

Black Keys: 'Sean Parker Is An A--hole'
0
Patrick Carney of The Black Keys says Napster founder Sean Parker is an "a-shole", and claims his fortune was made by stealing from artists. He was responding to Parker's recent claims at SXSW that Spotify, for which he is a board member, will make more revenue for the music industry than iTunes over the next two years. "He's an a-shole," said Carney (via NME). "That guy has $2 billion that he made from figuring out ways to steal royalties from artists, and that's the bottom line. You can't really trust anybody like that." However, Carney's accusation isn't quite accurate. Parker may have made his name with Napster, which kickstarted the piracy revolution, but his billions probably come from his involvement with Facebook, as portrayed by Justin Timberlake in "The Social Network". Carney says his band isn't completely against streaming services, but they won't put all their music on until is has enough subscribers to make it financially viable. He added, "Trust me, Dan [Auerbach, Black Keys frontman] and I like to make money. If it was fair to the artist we would be involved in it. "I honestly don't want to see Sean Parker succeed in anything. I imagine if Spotify becomes something that people are willing to pay for, then I'm sure iTunes will just create their own service, and they're actually fair to artists." iTunes does offer its own music streaming service via iTunes Match, but it relies on the consumer already owning a copy of a song before matching it with the iTunes server for streaming. It costs $25 per year, compared to $5-10 per month for Spotify.

80 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    JBailey23
    Didn't another famous drummer already infamously slam napster about 10-odd years ago? -_-
    SIEGE312
    Do these guys have anything positive to contribute? Every other day they are in the news it's for trash talking. I understand you have your opinions, but please try not to be so obnoxious about it..
    ShevanelFlip
    Why are they always talking shit about other artist? Just do your things and let other be.
    Eifler121
    All of you are ridiculous. So far, Patrick has stated that Nickelback sucks and that stealing is bad. Both sentiments that the majority of UG users have agreed with en masse.
    iommi600
    Black Keys: 'Sean Parker Is An A--hole'
    Patrick Carney of The Black Keys says Napster founder Sean Parker is an "a-shole"
    Misleading, here we go again...
    BigMikeBDD
    Why would anyone pay for music streaming when it's free everywhere? Besides, if the cost of music were a bit cheaper, more people would be willing to pay.
    darkwolf291
    Because he likes to make money, he plays for the wrong reason? We all wanna make it big and make money off of doing what we love. If I'm out touring, putting my own money out to support it, and working my ass off, I wanna make ****ing money too. There's playing for the love of it, and wanting to make money at the same time, and there's playing JUST FOR the money
    Maestro1600
    dimarzio77 wrote: Maestro1600 wrote: JBailey23 wrote: Didn't another famous drummer already infamously slam napster about 10-odd years ago? -_- Yes, and I think we can all agree he handled it very well, kept his dignity, and was well supported by both the industry and fans. Successful all round! I disagree. He can go F*st himself, too. I've never heard anybody whine so much in my life therefore losing all dignity.
    Yes, very well done. I actually do believe lars handled the napster situation well. I definitely wasn't stating the opposite of what I think in a sarcastic way to draw a cheap laugh. Definitely
    MoreGilmourII
    SIEGE312 wrote: Do these guys have anything positive to contribute?
    Their music. But still, shit talking, come on guys, you're better than that.
    Kapalen
    Its like you guys disagree with him just because you think hes a hipster. Maybe you're all just too young to remember that everything he is saying is true. Parker, as documented by the courts, made a system that was responsible for the music industry losing shit tons of money. Whether or not other factors also caused the industry to lose shit tons of money also is beside the point. As someone who was essentially robbed by this man, the artist is not exactly willing to basically give him his money.
    Maestro1600
    JBailey23 wrote: Didn't another famous drummer already infamously slam napster about 10-odd years ago? -_-
    Yes, and I think we can all agree he handled it very well, kept his dignity, and was well supported by both the industry and fans. Successful all round!
    Shread_6009
    Like it or not, the fact is piracy DOES take some money away from them. Arguing about how much money they lose doesn't change things. This is his living, and if he's losing money he's got the right to complain. That being said, I still download quite a bit of my music, but I still buy CD's whenever "Financially viable" as he put it, and give artists my money through shows, shirts etc.
    Metalhead_Swe
    Please note that it was Patrick Carney that said it. He's the one acting like a douche. So it's not The Black Keys bitching about stuff,it's just him. The Black Keys music is fantastic and it really sucks to hear that Pat is an ass like this.
    iljh
    I laughed at the title because I thought "That's funny, I think the Black Keys are *****s." OH THE IRONY XD
    goddamncanadian
    The guy's an expendable musician, he's the drummer who backs the one and only talented member of a two piece band. What else do you expect him to do besides bitch?
    MT_Obsidian
    With the way UG articles usually go I'm surprised this one doesn't say: "Black Keys Slam Sean Parker"...
    MoreGilmourII
    i_am_metalhead wrote: I like to make money. You're one of those douchebags that play music for the wrong reason then. MoreGilmourII wrote: SIEGE312 wrote: Do these guys have anything positive to contribute? Their music. But still, shit talking, come on guys, you're better than that. Since when is their music something "positive" to contribute? The Black Keys are terrible.
    So is your parent's contribution to humanity.
    Piñata
    Can't believe half the comments here. At the end of the day, Sean Parker wouldn't be where he is today financially without ripping off thousands of hard working musicians royalties. That's the truth, and from Pat's point of view, I'd call Sean out as an ***** too. But I reaaally wish NME and UG would stop posting this as news... Much rather be reading something about the Black Keys themselves than what they think about Nickelback or whoever.
    brewi
    totally agree with him. Why people think its ok to steal music is beyond me, this is a generation of spoiled brats
    RoomOnFire03
    COREYTAYLOR721 wrote: Growing tired of the keys especially them ripping on bands as they are converting into hipsters with each album. Can these guys please remember who they are and get off there high horse. I don't like Nickelback at all but el camino is bs what happened to Thickfreakness or Attack and Release.
    You do realize El Camino is their most "mainstream" album yet right? Lonely Boy gets radio play like 24/7. You just completely contradicted yourself by saying you wish they would stop being more hipster, when in fact, they just released their most popular album to date, and you want them to go back to their old stuff, which implies you liked them when it was more "hipster" to like them
    Flyingv31 wrote: Dude that guy is an ass. The on only good thing about this band is Dan. He seems like a cool guy. If you guys are interested in music like this, but done better, check out Band of Skulls. They are what i always wanted the Black Keys to be.
    Band of Skulls are soooo awesome!! And their cool people, i saw them a couple weeks ago in dallas, and then met Matt (drummer) and Russell (guitarist/singer) after the show, and they were really down to earth and stuff! The show was amazing!
    BassProShopswtr
    I really think it's important to acknowledge that it's just Patrick saying these things. He seems to be the sometimes a douche parallel to Dan Auerbach's calm collected nature.
    74SLIP26KNOT
    BigMikeBDD wrote: Why would anyone pay for music streaming when it's free everywhere? Besides, if the cost of music were a bit cheaper, more people would be willing to pay.
    Music will become cheaper if people start to buy music again... The reason it's so expensive is that they don't sell enough to get any profit if they sell it as cheap as it used to be...
    Flyingv31
    Dude that guy is an ass. The on only good thing about this band is Dan. He seems like a cool guy. If you guys are interested in music like this, but done better, check out Band of Skulls. They are what i always wanted the Black Keys to be.
    swatspeedman
    Not only did he bitch about something nobody cares about, he got all his facts wrong? Wow, this guy is a grade A idiot
    bambi_slaughter
    Ever since i saw the cover for that brothers album, i tought, wow, these guys are pretentious douche bags...
    Chance888
    If I was famous and influential I would spread my opinions to the masses as well, no matter how harsh... Life is too short to take the back seat and never voice your opinions... plus, Sean Parker is a way bigger douche than Pat... As far as I'm concerned, either one of the Black Keys can say whatever they want as long as they keep making their transcendent music... ROCK ON PAT AND DANNY BOY
    Zoltan1251
    well they had pretty rocky road to success..... partly i understand hes upset, but this is just stupid
    cptcomet
    Idiot. Why doesn't he just concentrate on music? I'm sick of these butthurt artists who make good money whining that their songs get downloaded. There are tonnes of brilliant bands who don't have record contracts who make better music and have to give away their music because no one will give them a chance. No-one complained about people taping from the radio when I was a kid. I've been put off The Black Keys by just how idiotic they are. I wouldn't even download their music now.
    Spanner93
    Note that it's only ever Patrick Carney that comes out with this shit, sometimes more valid than others (Nickelback rant.... ). Auerbach on the other hand is not only a creative powerhouse but also great at dealing with the media, don't slam the keys just 'cause the drummer is a douche.
    WhoCanSay
    So, basically, he comments on a terrible band, and you all agreed with him. Now he talks about piracy, and he's a douchebag who's always bitching? God you people are ridiculous.
    Eifler121
    No way, no way are the Band of Skulls better than the Black Keys. They are very good, but not the Black Keys.
    cptcomet
    WhoCanSay wrote: cptcomet wrote: No-one complained about people taping from the radio when I was a kid. I've been put off The Black Keys by just how idiotic they are. I wouldn't even download their music now. You're an idiot.
    You're a troll, I can have my own opinion. And by the way, I didn't even agree with him with what he said about Nickelback. He's just jumping on the bandwagon like yourself. This guy is making more news articles than music.
    courtneypugh
    my buddy's aunt brought in $13728 the prior month. she gets paid on the laptop and bought a $428900 home. All she did was get lucky and set to work the tips made clear on this website NuttyRich.com
    Maestro1600
    MT_Obsidian wrote: With the way UG articles usually go I'm surprised this one doesn't say: "Black Keys Slam Sean Parker"...
    If that had been the headline, we'd have seen a board full of 'I'd slam Sean Parker!'. 'No way, I don't like white dudes.'. 'He's not as hot as Zuckerberg' and so on...
    lilypondkid2
    I've listened to the black keys a couple of times, and I'm just not into them, and that's fine, but seriously, this guy comes off like way more of a douchebag than anyone he's called out recently.
    meow1992
    if you watch Carney's interviews, you realize that he's sarcastic about everything and he can be the ultimate troll
    leonkennedy74
    The title is fine. People need to learn when and where commas are used. But seriously, these guys are pretentious as sh**.
    ilikefood740
    Neil Young wrote that piracy is the new radio, any band should be happy that they are making money doing something they like. They dont have a conventional job. I dont like that black keys and all the crap thats been on UG involving them really prevents me from listening to them
    AcdcTXfan
    Not only is he always talking shit on people, but he looks like the biggest pussy. I hope Chad Kroeger kicks his ass, but it won't happen. Chad's not an *****.