Bob Dylan Was The Jay-Z Of His Time, Says Rapper Grandson

Bob Dylan's grandson Pablo Dylan has paid tribute to the legendary singer, describing him as the "Jay-Z of his time".

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Bob Dylan's grandson Pablo Dylan has paid tribute to the legendary singer, describing him as the "Jay-Z of his time".

The 15-year-old recently released his first hip-hop mixtape '10 Minutes' and said that his granddad "feels strongly" about his music.

Pablo told Allhiphop.com: "My grandfather, I consider him the Jay-Z of his time, and he definitely has a legacy that a lot of people look up to. I love him to death."

Although their music is from different sides of the tracks, Pablo insisted that he is influenced by Bob's tunes.

"Of course we do two different things, and I don't want people to see me for what he has done. But, what I have done, I mean from a musical and personal standpoint, is definitely influenced by him", he said.

You can download "10 Minutes" by clicking here - scroll down to hear a track from it, "Top Of The World".

Bob Dylan is currently touring the US - he's due to play in Thackerville in Oklahoma on July 23 before moving on to dates in New Braunfels, New Orleans, Pensacola and Atlanta next week.

Thanks for the report to NME.com.

Trending stories

151 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Pagan_Poetry
    Well, this may seem completely stupid at first but it kind of makes sense.... Just barely... Bob Dylan was a story teller. Rap can be used to tell stories. Old Jay Z definitely was (his first album was full of stories about being in the mafia). I dunno though. Apart from that it's just a weird comparison to make. It's like saying "Kate Winslet was the Bela Lugosi of our times". Two different genres.
    btones
    The fact that this debate has is debate has even come to be is frankly astounding.
    DarrenReeder
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: Well, this may seem completely stupid at first but it kind of makes sense.... Just barely... Bob Dylan was a story teller. Rap can be used to tell stories. Old Jay Z definitely was (his first album was full of stories about being in the mafia). I dunno though. Apart from that it's just a weird comparison to make. It's like saying "Kate Winslet was the Bela Lugosi of our times". Two different genres.
    Its not story telling, most of it is either just bragging about what you have and what other people dont have or how bad your life is.. Comparing Eminem to Gary moore is probably more valid because they both make music about their life and depresing/sad stuff.. (blues is usually from "I" point of view.. just like most rap and mainly eminem stuff)
    thewalrus77
    hey bob, i think your grandson just called you a douchebag. seriously though you cant compare them bob a legend jayz is talentless
    Offworld92
    Chaingarden wrote: Are you guys kidding? I understand you don't like rap and all, but Jay-Z is a hugely famous and influential musician to his genre. While this might not be a perfect analogy, it's by no means as baseless as you all are claiming. This kid didn't claim Jay-Z was as good as Bob Dylan, he implied they were similar cultural figures to their respective styles, with similar magnitudes of influence, which is probably true. Equally true with their world impact; in fact, I would contend that Jay-Z has improved people's lives in a more (or at least, comparably) concrete manner. He has donated in excess of $1 million to the American Red Cross, and made a documentary in partnership with the United Nations for the purpose of aiding global water shortage. Bob Dylan has played a couple charity concerts and participated in the civil rights movement by being Bob Dylan. Oh yeah, he wrote some good songs too. No one here has given any sort of objective measure by which you may compare these artists. When you assert that this claim is horrible because "Bob Dylan's awesome and Jay-Z's not" it makes you look uneducated and incapable of critical thought.
    +1
    Swannie
    FakeTalesOfSan wrote: [quote]Bananafish003 wrote: You know, this community just kind of sucks.[/quote Agreed. Hey were you aware that metal isn't the only genre that uses guitars? What's that? POP music uses guitars too?! No way! Just because you're so "br00tal" doesn't mean you can dismiss everything as rubbish. I don't even listen to pop, urban or rap music much at all but atleast I know to appreciate certain aspects. Like Kanye West's newest album? Brilliant production. Just stop, you're making yourselves appear rather ignorant and juvenile.
    i'll take terrible production and musical skill/soul
    lvd1
    okay i used it metaphoricaly. yes communism is based on the "sharing theory" and it's polotics, i get it. but since when are polotics and music seperate? we're talking about dylan right? or should i really piss people off and say the song "imagine" was not about unity but instead about communism and how lennon wanted it to spread. take it easy, besides i'm not claiming to know it all or be bigger than jesus am i? i thought the comparrison sucked and i think communism sucks. the communism remark was to intensify my dislike of the comparison that's all. ubless you're a commie and it stung. lvd1 wrote: communists do things that only make sense for them selves and the rest of the world knows its wrong. clear enough? no...not at all...you have no idea what communism is do you?[/quote]
    Ibeanez
    If your only response to someone rightly pointing out that rap isn't music is: "Waaaaametal waaaahhhh", then don't try condescending. Metal wasn't even mentioned until you crybabies did it. Rap is to music as crap is to food.
    BlackSheep69
    just remember its a 15 yearold that said this... most of you people seem much younger than that...2 different genres,both great artists of their own
    Most_Triumphant
    Chaingarden wrote: Are you guys kidding? I understand you don't like rap and all, but Jay-Z is a hugely famous and influential musician to his genre. While this might not be a perfect analogy, it's by no means as baseless as you all are claiming. This kid didn't claim Jay-Z was as good as Bob Dylan, he implied they were similar cultural figures to their respective styles, with similar magnitudes of influence, which is probably true. Equally true with their world impact; in fact, I would contend that Jay-Z has improved people's lives in a more (or at least, comparably) concrete manner. He has donated in excess of $1 million to the American Red Cross, and made a documentary in partnership with the United Nations for the purpose of aiding global water shortage. Bob Dylan has played a couple charity concerts and participated in the civil rights movement by being Bob Dylan. Oh yeah, he wrote some good songs too. No one here has given any sort of objective measure by which you may compare these artists. When you assert that this claim is horrible because "Bob Dylan's awesome and Jay-Z's not" it makes you look uneducated and incapable of critical thought.
    Dylans awesome and Jay Z is not! Music is like candy, you throw away the rappers.
    Cannibal Koala
    Ibeanez wrote: If your only response to someone rightly pointing out that rap isn't music is: "Waaaaametalwaaaahhhh", then don't try condescending. Metal wasn't even mentioned until you crybabies did it. Rap is to music as crap is to food.
    I don't agree with the "Rap is crap" mentality. There are plenty of good rappers, Sage Francis for example, brilliant man, who writes some pretty great music. Most of the good stuff isn't really on the surface of the Rap/Hip-Hop scene. OT: I don't think Jay-Z will be remembered in 20 years, and really isn't a good example to be "The Bob Dylan of this time", IMO.
    neversleeps84
    The only thing Bob Dylan and Jay-Z have in common is that I can't understand either of them.
    JohnnyApplecore
    Kid needs a paternity test, it's hard to believe Bob's bloodline could produce such a lack of musical talent.
    SGofawesome
    Bob Dylan getting compared to a modern day rapper? More like the rapper should be compared to Dylan, which is even still a stretch. And calling Dylan a legendary "Singer" is a bit much. He was a legendary songwriter, but not at all a great singer.
    btones
    You guys are really gonna take anything a 15 year old rapper says seriously? Stay classy UG.
    thomas666
    whiskychaser wrote: wutconnur wrote: Some of you need to appreciate music a little bit more, not just BR00T4L M3T4L. Jay-Z is a brilliant storyteller/lyricist, if you all think hip-hop is about women and cars, you really need to dig deeper for some good hip-hop (which came from soul, blues and funk music), start listening to ANYTHING including the rapper MF Doom, Shad, or basically just search conscious hip-hop. Get your heads out of your asses. Nah, I don't feel like it. Rap sucks.
    +1 btw what a stupid way to write brootal metal
    thomas666
    [quote]thomas666 wrote: wait... Nah, I don't feel like it. Rap sucks.[quote\] +1 btw what a stupid way to write brootal metal
    TomWhaley
    Not at all. Dylan changed the world. Changed music forever. While Jay-Z is a respectable rapper, he's still not very influential when it comes to music. Maybe when it comes to Rocawear though...
    Shayne777
    it really sucks to read these comment sections from time to time and find out all over again that I go to a website full of 'music elitists' if you knew anything about Rap you would know Jay-Z is a big ****in deal in their community just like Bob dyaln is to the classic rock/60's,70's crowd don't say an artist sucks if the only thing you know about him was what you heard from your scene friend in jr.high
    slaveskinJACKET
    Name me one song, that is not a Jay-Z song, that Jay-Z had a clear influence on. Then elaborate how you know that Jay-Z inspired/influenced it. It's impossible to do. He's a generic, average rapper.
    Jazzalenko
    You guys are idiots. Learn to appreciate more than metal. Having said that, that song ****ing sucked. And whilst i would't rate Jay up with the likes of MF Doom or Nas, he's a pretty big deal, and he was pretty influential.
    salazar
    is anybody else seeing mike portnoy on the picture of this link (before youre on this page)
    Ibeanez
    Illiterate, monotonous rambling over synthetic beats and sound effects is not music. Rap is garbage. I can't believe how many ignorant turds on this site would defend rap as if it were a music appreciation issue.
    Soadmlo
    I always come and read these comment sections, and become a little more ashamed every time of being a Metalhead. I love Hip-Hop, and respect Jay-Z, and what he does; but I wouldn't compare Dylan to Jay, there's just no correlation in my opinion. Also that song sucked, turned it off as soon as the Autotune came on.
    Necrotise
    Bob Dylan was the Bob Dylan of his time, Jay-Z doesn't really come into it at all
    pandacorn
    Pablo shouldn't have an opinion on similarities between the two. He should go do something that isn't making "music."
    Crazyedd123
    It's kind of unfortunate that alot of the people on UG are so closed-minded towards rap and hip-hop. you guys have to understand that there's more to other music than what's in the mainstream. still, i can't imagine the comments section in Allhiphop.com would be any different; "Jay-Z is 1000 times better than Bob Dylan, Rock music sucks!" P.S. metal isn't exactly a holy grail of music. there's soooo much technique and not enough feel nowadays that it often sounds like it may have been programmed on a computer (which, as my music teacher pointed out, is becoming more the case nowadays). little note, the teacher i spoke of is actually Ian Treacy of Benediction XD
    OpethIsGod
    Wow so many people hating on metal.....and no one but the hatred mentioned it :/ Sorry guys, I'm not sure what you are listening to but Bob Dylan isn't br00tal metal, as you put it so can you stfu about it please? Haters gonna hate.
    Sir Anonymous
    Bananafish003 wrote: You know, this community just kind of sucks.
    No, man, it really sucks.
    alestorm666
    I don't even like Bob Dylan, but this is an insult to someone who has been influential to so many people for the last 50 years to be compared to a talentless rap artist.
    Lacquer_Head
    lvd1 wrote: communists do things that only make sense for them selves and the rest of the world knows its wrong. clear enough?
    Do you even know how communism works?
    wutconnur
    whiskychaser wrote: wutconnur wrote: Some of you need to appreciate music a little bit more, not just BR00T4L M3T4L. Jay-Z is a brilliant storyteller/lyricist, if you all think hip-hop is about women and cars, you really need to dig deeper for some good hip-hop (which came from soul, blues and funk music), start listening to ANYTHING including the rapper MF Doom, Shad, or basically just search conscious hip-hop. Get your heads out of your asses. Nah, I don't feel like it. Rap sucks.
    That's okay, it's not called rap, it's called hip-hop. Rapping is a vocal style. Therefore your opinion means nothing to me.
    Vicryl 2.0
    Tag43 wrote: A Tribe Called Quest FTW
    This.. Bob dylan can relate more to ATCQ than Jay-z
    spooner1957
    he's 15, making a comment probably for other 15 year olds. It sounds more like he means everyone knew who his grandfather was then, just as now younger people all know who jay z is. I dont think it was supposed to be a comparison or talent. but hey, who knows?
    Rimfrost
    lvd1 wrote: communists do things that only make sense for them selves and the rest of the world knows its wrong. clear enough?
    I guess that makes you an American :p
    JB95
    argh, I really dislike music like that! hip-hop is all over the radio, and all I hear is unreal computer beats and synth combined by boring "singing". Still just my opinion, no one have to agree.
    3thousandAnd1
    All of you complaining sound like asses. Music is music and you need to learn to respect other types whether you like it or not. Anyway, I find it funny that Bob Dylan's grandson is a rapper.