Chris Cornell Defends 'Scream'

Chris Cornell has defended his new Timbaland-produced album "Scream".

Chris Cornell Defends 'Scream'
0
Chris Cornell has defended his new Timbaland-produced album "Scream". The album has been lambasted by fans, critics and even Cornell's fellow musicians. Earlier this month, Trent Reznor called "Scream" "embarrassing" on his Twitter page. In an interview with Alternativeaddiction.com, Cornell said he wasn't surprised at people's reaction towards "Scream. "Older American fans don't like it because they are typically my core fans that really supported me in Soundgarden and really loved that band," he said. "To them that's kind of who I am, I'm that guy in that band, and I'm that guy who wrote those songs." He went on to praise "Scream". He said: "I'm thrilled with the album that I made. I think it's really exciting, I have listened to it as much or more than any album I have ever made." He added: "As a song writer and creative person, I have to do what makes me happy. That changes, it goes into different worlds." Thanks for the report to Nme.com.

106 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Chaingarden
    For me, my disliking this album had nothing to do with the fact that it was dance music. I didn't like it because I thought it was awful. The lyrics are trite, the beats are stale, the singing isn't really up to par, and the melodies are boring. The music video for "Part of Me" is just atrocious. It's just embarrassing to see a 45 year old man hanging around a club, singing about a "bitch that ain't a part of him," especially when that 45 year old man was a rock god and an intellectual that didn't give two shits about mundane matters like one night stands and clubbin. That being said, I'm not going to say I don't like Chris Cornell anymore or something, and he has every right to do what he pleases. He still has a great library of respectable music to his name, and nothing he does can diminish that. But it doesn't mean I'm going to be buying any of his albums if they're going to sound like Scream.
    I'MNOOPID
    I agree with his need to write what makes him happy, but i find it ironic how many people support his change and how many people bashed metallica when they decided to write load and reload which are good albums but they wanted to go into a different direction
    saint_berzerker
    When you've built your LONG career as a ROCK stalwart and icon, you just can't go making crap like this and expect to be respected. Bands like Metallica came close to doing this with their BLACK album, but it didn't quite cross the line. But this Cornell album is just silly sounding. I'm not really even a fan of the guy, but this guy has a long career as a Rock singer and this just ruins him.
    ænimic
    I'm judging this album beside Justin Timberlake's album. This album sucks harder than Justin's. Simple. Chris Cornell speaks as though he made a move to a new genre and actually sounds good at it...but sorry old man, no, Scream sucks even in pop music standards.
    FFTLxx
    It's really not that bad, you can tell Timbaland produced it though.
    Shamanic Rhythm
    Rafa88offspring wrote: it's not that easy to write a pop song
    Are you kidding? Today's pop songs are so simple a walrus could write one.
    Time Seller
    I don't have anything against his decision to go in that musical direction. Shame it had to turn out into an absolutely atrocious album though.
    shotgunjoe
    Nirvanarien wrote: Im 14, and i say this is bullshit. I mean cmon, dance? off all over-hyped genres tht one is one of the worst (Urban is pretty suckish two). It hasn't got anything to do with age at all imo. Im really disappointed by this man who was once a musician. (never listened to his music to begin with but making going from Rock to dance is like from the Light side to the Dark side)
    lol, I felt the exact same about urban music when I was 14. I only listened to SOAD, Nirvana and Slipknot (who I still listen to pretty regularly), and I thought "YEAH METULZ ROOL HIP HOP SUX ITZ JUST BLING AND BITCHES AND GUNZ" which is kinda the typical argument for that kinda mentality. Open up, kid. I love hip hop, but as I said, Timbaland is a terrible producer. His beats are so weak .
    JonasStevens
    I haven't listened to it, but hey, he's making music HE likes. Isn't that what we all want to do?
    ndschroede23
    Rafa88offspring wrote: I really found myself respecting him much more with Scream, it's really catchy, it's not that easy to write a pop song. It doesn't come off as oportunist, it really seems to be what he wants to do, since his billie jean cover I've noticed him turning to pop a lot. Besides, think of this, people will go see him live, where he'll probably also perform other classics and he'll get people who only listen to pop top40 music to listen to real rock... And rusty rockers to soften up and listen to a little pop for a while, it's not bad, it's just different.
    +lots and lots
    Rafa88offspring
    I really found myself respecting him much more with Scream, it's really catchy, it's not that easy to write a pop song. It doesn't come off as oportunist, it really seems to be what he wants to do, since his billie jean cover I've noticed him turning to pop a lot. Besides, think of this, people will go see him live, where he'll probably also perform other classics and he'll get people who only listen to pop top40 music to listen to real rock... And rusty rockers to soften up and listen to a little pop for a while, it's not bad, it's just different.
    joshua029
    flame_mc wrote: boreamor wrote: I personally don't like it, but if he wants to go in a different musical direction then I wish him the best of luck. It's never easy to do that and keep your fans. Agree. He is a great musician, and if he feels like a little change, why not try it. It's better than other groups that their albums are over and over the same.
    this...
    thoriswar
    i cant get over the fact he sold out!!!! im gonna be this first to tell you his next album will be back to what he knows best! if not he will fade away!!
    Riffrocker83
    Earlier this month, Trent Reznor called "Scream" "embarrassing" on his Twitter page. ...Not for nothing Trent, but your latest efforts have been pretty embarrassing too.
    ndschroede23
    dohertymichael wrote: hahahha trent reznor was right. i went on his myspace and was just shocked. i feel bad for the guy
    You can be "right" about what year the Declaration of Independence was signed. You can be "right" about what elements make up air. You can't be "right" about whether an album, a piece of art (low art, albeit) is good or bad. You just can't. Its aim is to entertain. It may not entertain you, but it may entertain others.
    This1GoesTo11
    I love it! Chris, I commend you for having the courage to follow your heart. Don't let anybody tell you what kind of music to make. Just keep on makin' it, bro! In my opinion, you are a rare and dynamic artist.
    theshaft
    thoriswar wrote: i cant get over the fact he sold out!!!! im gonna be this first to tell you his next album will be back to what he knows best! if not he will fade away!!
    first of all chris cornell will never fade away, hes a legend in rock and can never be replaced... that said tho, scream is a piece of shit lol
    51VH50
    While it may not be the most appealing album as far as this site is concerned an artist should never be criticized for something that they chose to do. if he chooses to go a different direction for a bit you dont have to support him but the least you could do it not tear him down for following what might be his interests.
    Shockball V
    Kastm wrote: Sigh... Cornell. Dont make assumptions. The reason people don't like your album is simply cus it sucks, even by dance music standards.
    Maybe you should back off! This is exactly why and he has a right to change for his desires. He could careless what you say and what others say and he understands why. Maybe your thinking the same thing as he's the man who sang soundgarden and can't stop thinking about. Why don't just ignore what he's doing and get on with your life. At least I do.
    J.A.R.
    If he had made his usually rock music then everybody would be complaining that it sounds exactly the same, so what the hell do you expect from him?
    savory_softy
    While I applaud his decision and the balls it took to see it through, 'cause he's right, it would really be selling out if he'd given fans what they wanted and what he knew would sell. I also abhor it as c'mon... Timbaland? Hip-hop/dance? TIMBALAND?! I'd do a lot of things for a million dollars... but shake the hand of the guy responsible for polluting precious air-waves? I'll keep my dignity thanks.
    MusicalMinority
    Riffrocker83 wrote: Earlier this month, Trent Reznor called "Scream" "embarrassing" on his Twitter page. ...Not for nothing Trent, but your latest efforts have been pretty embarrassing too.
    The Slip wasn't that bad, in my opinion. Maybe not as good as NIN's older material, but not embarrassing at all. Eh, I tried listening to it without bias. This is coming from somebody who listens to (and respects) all genres of music. But Scream was not a good album. The hooks were few, the interesting little things that made Chris's songs worthwhile are gone, and it's just... Really dull. I don't know how else to put it. It's like what Radiohead did with Kid A, but this effort wasn't very good.
    officially dead
    Shamanic Rhythm wrote: Rafa88offspring wrote: it's not that easy to write a pop song Are you kidding? Today's pop songs are so simple a walrus could write one.
    Well here's another clue for you all, the walrus is Paul.
    Kastöm
    Shockball V wrote: Kastm wrote: Sigh... Cornell. Dont make assumptions. The reason people don't like your album is simply cus it sucks, even by dance music standards. Maybe you should back off! This is exactly why and he has a right to change for his desires. He could careless what you say and what others say and he understands why. Maybe your thinking the same thing as he's the man who sang soundgarden and can't stop thinking about. Why don't just ignore what he's doing and get on with your life. At least I do.
    I'm going to try to look past the fact that I haven't the slightest clue what your post is trying to say, and try to answer to what I assume you're talking about. You know, I've never actually listened to any of Chris Cornell's past work. I may have heard one or two soundgarden tracks but other than that I've barely even heard his music. I know absolutely nothing about his past music, so how the hell could I be comparing it to scream? Scream is on all levels, just an appalling album. Not because it's not the same as past work, but because it just sucks. the tracks are horrible and no one in their right minds would listen to this garbage unless they were die hard Cornell fans. Every song sucks, the lyrics are terrible, the singing is bad... I don't get what Cornell is so persistently trying to defend when we all know that a year or two from now, hes going to just admit that it sucked.
    jod23
    [quote]ZeppelinFloyd wrote: a 360, would bring him right back to where he was. you meant 180. i meant 180 lol... i agree with you on listening to different music with an open mind especially with scream. i listened to some of his new music and thought it was decent but i won't buy it because i'm more guitar orientated... after reading his interview i can kind of see why he feels more happier with scream... i'm still disapointed and baffeled by the fact that cornell shifted away from his rock roots and tried something that he never done before... it's a big risk by him taking it... it seemed like cornell wanted to try something different after audioslave
    Quicksand15
    Equivalence wrote: You can't blame him for writing what he wants to...
    sure. but the songs were written by timbaland, he only wrote the lyrics...i think thats the problem.
    ZeppelinFloyd
    jod23 wrote: ... i guess he was unhappy in his career at this point and went full 360 but i respect him wherever he goes though in the future...
    a 360, would bring him right back to where he was. you meant 180. at any rate, i liked the album. i'm a huge fan of soundgarden, temple of the dog, audioslave, as well as his other solo albums. it's obviously different. you have to listen to it differently. approach it with an open mind. there's more good music out there than rock. i must say that if i were a professional musician i would like to get out there and try all sorts of genres. my guess is that he didn't want to be stuck in that box that fans create. "this is what you have to do for us to like you, this is what it has to sound like. or we'll go online and make fun of it. even if we're 14 and don't know anything. we just think we're cool because we're one of the only people our age who like music." get off the internet and go do homework or something.
    sstony
    They played a song on the Tonight Show just the other day, and I must say it SUCKED !!!!!
    jod23
    chris bashing the guitar on the cover says it all...i'm disappointed from listening to scream because i don't like r&b hip hop... i admired cornell from early soundgarden, temple of a dog, solo career, and audioslave and is one of my favorite lead singers of all-time... i guess he was unhappy in his career at this point and went full 360 but i respect him wherever he goes though in the future...
    chickenfoot
    okay, the album wasn't at all what I would like to hear. There obviously are people who like the album, Chris is one of them and I think everyone here would like it with some guitars instead of the 'timbaland sound' he's still an amazing singer/songwriter. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope he'll make another great rock album or a reunion with SoundGarden/AudioSlave
    anhawood
    I was disappointed with Scream as a Soundgarden/Audioslave fan. I went to see the concert at the HOB in Boston and was pleasantly surprised that all the new tracks were done with the band/guitars. This made all of the songs on the new CD soooo much better. I walked away from the concert wishing a remix of the album would be done with the band instead of electronica. The musicians in the band are top notch as well, they know the old and new material very well. It was a great show and I would see them again. I would much rather see a Soundgarden reunion than with Rage, just not my style though. Chris is finding his way. A lot of the songs on the new CD seem to express issues with his previous marriage...
    mansoor.h
    It's ironic that half the dipshits here have a hissy fit over bad tone, but they couldn't spot a good song let alone album a mile away.
    AngelWolf
    people are complaining that its different but then they would complain if its the same... so you cant really win... its either different or the same and you get criticized equally for whatever one you choose.
    shotgunjoe
    Shamanic Rhythm wrote: Rafa88offspring wrote: it's not that easy to write a pop song Are you kidding? Today's pop songs are so simple a walrus could write one.
    Its very hard to write an effective pop song.
    its_sublime07
    GOD. This is bullshit! "hip-hop" beats? It would be one thing if there was actual hip/hop going on. Timbaland bastardises music. Not that chris cornell has made good musical choices; both songs i've listened to so far sound exactly the same. And for further clarification, this is pop/hop, not even club/hop, and I'm sure Cornell and Timbaland don't even know who Mac Dre and KRS-one are, because if they did, they would realize that what they are doing is just plain Pop music crap
    sajn
    stumaster18 wrote: I'm pretty sure if Trent Reznor didn't say what he did, a lot of people wouldn't be bashing it. If Trent loved it, others would love it for that reason.
    seriously u really think that's the reason. Trent said what he said cuz the album sucked ASS!!(as the whole bunch of ppl all over the world thought the same too!)
    CaRveItiNbass
    I love the fact that he's defending his club music album. I hate chris cornell so much. Never cared for soundgarden, audioslave annoyed me, and this solo crap is even worse. Good job, fail
    tschooms17
    I know plenty of people who wouldn't listen to it just because it was dance / hip-hop or whatever (I still have yet to hear it). If people were really fans, they'd at least give it a chance, but if someone has heard it and doesn't like it, what's the big deal? They aren't *****s, it's just not for them. I heard there was a Justin Timberlake duet on there... that would kick ass
    jcthomasva
    Trent Reznor is criticizing someone else for using synthesized beats? Truth be told, the album was just bad, regardless of what you think of its direction.
    grungeisdeaduk
    jcthomasva wrote: Trent Reznor is criticizing someone else for using synthesized beats?.
    no hes criticizing it because its shit
    holyspacemonkey
    For one thing Timbaland's not exactly talentless. To be honest he's doing better than any of us posting here. I really enjoy Scream, but if I didn't like Chris' new direction I'd probably just stick on Badmotorfinger, crank it to 11 and pretend he didn't make a new album instead of bitching about it. He just tried a new thing for chrissake - it's not like he went public and said that he despises Soundgarden/Audioslave/TOTD, wishes he never did them and is going to marry Timbaland. And would you really prefer it if Chris just kept on churning out album after album of Pretty Noose, Spoonman and Jesus Christ Pose with different lyrics and solos? I know I'd get sick of it. Good on ya Chris.