Chris Martin Warns Of Dangers Of Loud Music

Coldplay's Chris Martin has revealed that, like fellow rock star Pete Townshend, he's been suffering from a hearing disorder for the past 10 years.

Chris Martin Warns Of Dangers Of Loud Music
2
Coldplay's Chris Martin has revealed that, like fellow rock star Pete Townshend, he's been suffering from a hearing disorder for the past 10 years. Gwyneth Paltrow's rocker husband told the Daily Mail that he suffers from tinnitus (a ringing sensation brought on by loud noises damaging cells in the ears). And he wants to warn others of the danger of loud music. "Looking after your ears is unfortunately something you don't think about until there's a problem. "I've had tinnitus for about 10 years, and since I started protecting my ears it hasn't got any worse touch wood. But I wish I'd thought about it earlier. "Now [the band] always use molded filter plugs, or in-ear monitors, to try to protect our ears." Thanks for the report to Andrew Vaughan, Gibson.com.

22 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Minivirus2
    Serious **** right here! So serious, I won't even knock Coldplay. Been dealing with it for about a year now. Very mild, but scary enough to make you start thinking about it.
    headstone05
    I thought Townsend's was from the "ahem" cannon that his former drummer made out of his drum set.
    mastodude13
    Minivirus2 wrote: Serious **** right here! So serious, I won't even knock Coldplay. Been dealing with it for about a year now. Very mild, but scary enough to make you start thinking about it.
    Me too, man. I got it mostly from a machine head concert. I wear ear plugs now at concerts because its sometimes hard to sleep from the ringing.
    Showiddlydiddly
    headstone05 wrote: I thought Townsend's was from the "ahem" cannon that his former drummer made out of his drum set.
    It was indeed. I miss those days.
    fastlanestoner
    EAR BUDS ARE DESTROYING YOUR HEARING. Turn it down! People don't realize how even simple things like a city street or public transportation is driving you deaf by the second.
    metallicaftwlp
    I've been getting this lately too. It's a serious issue I feel and I'm taking steps so I don't damage my hearing again (im only 18 eek). There needs to be more awareness for this and not just in rock music. Even going clubbing for a few hours is not good for your ears at all.
    CreepingDeath13
    metallicaftwlp wrote: I've been getting this lately too. It's a serious issue I feel and I'm taking steps so I don't damage my hearing again (im only 18 eek). There needs to be more awareness for this and not just in rock music. Even going clubbing for a few hours is not good for your ears at all.
    definitely, i wear small ear plugs that no one can see when i go to clubs, theyre just so loud, and i religiously wear ear plugs to any sort of concert or gig as i cant bear how loud it is and i know the damage that it is doing.
    alestorm666
    Myles Kennedy has tinnitus and he still sounds fantastic. Shame the same thing can't be said for Chris.
    bastards
    I keep a set in my guitar case all the time. Good to have around when you want to get used to the loud technics without blowing yer earholes out.