Dave Grohl: Justin Bieber Brainwashed My Daughter

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has revealed that his daughter is a big fan of Justin Bieber.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
1

Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl has revealed that his daughter is a big fan of Justin Bieber.

The singer said he admired the singer, who celebrated his 17th birthday on Tuesday (March 1), for his ability to gain such a vast fan base.

"My daughter Harper, who is not even two, can sing that 'Baby' song," he told the Daily Star.

"So whatever that dude did to brainwash the world with that crazy, music sh-t he does, God bless him, ya know."

Meanwhile, Foo Fighters are set to release their new album "Wasting Light" in April.

The band showcased songs from the album during several gigs in London last week, including a huge performance at Wembley Arena.

Thanks for the report to Gigwise.com.

Trending stories

163 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    DonJulio
    "My daughter Harper, who is not even two, can sing that 'Baby' song," he told the Daily Star.
    this seems to say a lot about the lyrical quality of the song...
    Iommianity
    I think I find the Bieber bashing more annoying than his music. there's nothing wrong with liking pop or being a pop star, and I say this in spite of my love for off putting kvlt metal and nerdy fusion. It seems like some people can't relate to others on any level but music.
    Garageking1479
    DonJulio wrote: "My daughter Harper, who is not even two, can sing that 'Baby' song," he told the Daily Star. this seems to say a lot about the lyrical quality of the song...
    +1
    Amuro Jay
    sherry07 wrote: Misleading title AGAIN, UG
    Misleading my ass. Dave said his daughter was a fan, said Bieber brainwashes people with his music, therefore, he implied Bieber brainwashed his daughter. Get off the bandwagon.
    Ali-b912
    Tatersalad810 wrote: This is news? Really? This is news?
    Post Beiber, Incite rage of metalnerds. Beiber isn't that bad. Especially compared to the vast number of Disney musicians who skip the chain of 'doing your dues' entirely. He got picked up off youtube, which is probably the most you can really do in straightforward pop, unless you come by-way of urban or electronic music. And it's not like he's all over the radio and TV or anything. He just became the scapegoat for...well, damn near everything. If you do anything wrong people claim you like Justin Beiber as though it's a serious insult.
    krakkrox
    Why does the rock world have to continually acknowledge (blank)? Lets forget (blank) ever was there and it'll go away that much sooner
    guitarsolo_17
    trogdor136 wrote: Justin Bieber taught himself how to play guitar, piano, trumpet and drums and how to sing in key. That's far more than most people and more than a lot of musicians nowadays. To not acknowledge that he is talented is kind of ignorant.
    I feel your point is good but nobody really teaches themself. There were resources. Just liking getting tabs off of UG is not teaching yourself.
    Galfadez
    Ghrim wrote: my 1 year old dances around to august burns red and BTBAM
    Lol is that a good thing?
    zpo83
    I have found all the people bashing justin bieber on this website, as well as youtube, to be far more annoying than the kid himself. Just ignore it if you aren't a fan, it doesn't make you a badass if you talk smack about him.
    Firebreather01
    DSG3002 wrote: Pop elements will be banned in my family household when I have children.
    you realize that "pop elements" are found in virtually every song right?
    spider_rotation
    zpo83 wrote: I have found all the people bashing justin bieber on this website, as well as youtube, to be far more annoying than the kid himself. Just ignore it if you aren't a fan, it doesn't make you a badass if you talk smack about him.
    Yeah, but it works the other way, too. I think there was a fan in Germany who compared all the insulting towards Bieber to be as bad as the Holocaust. Bieber fans also ****ed up Esperanza Spalding's wikipedia page. I think that there's a reason he gets so much hate... it's to balance out the crazy fans he has. Plus this: http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-crazy-... hreaten-and-harass-teen-defector/ Really? Like I said, I'd probably do some harmless piss taking and whatnot, but some people are a bit too serious. So yeah... in a way you almost can't ignore it, and bashing doesn't seem as bad once you find incidents like this.
    zpo83
    There will always be stuff like that in the mainstream though. When I was a kid, New Kids on the Block were the scourge of the day. That doesn't mean that people who play music, and as a result listen to music outside the mainstream, need to pay any attention to whatever is popular at the time. Listen to what you like, play what you like, and don't worry about pop culture.
    andras67
    yeah she will grow up, she is two year's old, she doesn't even know what she is singing, it's not like she was eleven or twelve or something, if at that age one of my children likes justin bieber I would let them alone in a wild forest until the learn something about life
    kh_o_dor2
    dude if bieber really did learn all of these instruments ok i'll admit he's got talent but if that's true why doesn't he make better music or not act like a douche.and god or devil Grohl rocks
    Camron62\m/
    ****. whenever justin bieber is mentioned on the internet, an arguement ensues. holy shit.
    illmental
    meh.. I took my 11 year old daughter to see his show last year 5th row seats (way cheaper than my nose bleed Metallica seats!) but any way.... I thought it was going to be the absolute worst time of my life, turns out he's not all that bad.. I mean by no means am I a fan lol and maybe it was just because my daughter was having the time of her life, but I've heard worse. He's there for the tween girl market and if it get's him by and they still love it.. then why would I bash it? Ever generation and genre has that one guy or girl (band) that sells more than the rest so everybody suddenly hates them. I remember back in the day when wearing an Ozzy shirt would get me called a devil worshiper, Today.. those same people that put him down and me down for listening to him, sing that sh*T at the bar lmao.. so to shorten this long rant, who cares? If you don't like it, ignore it... it won't be an issue if you don't bother with it! Get off the kids back, any of us in here would give a testicle to trade places with that little dude! But only a few will actually admit it.
    jimishred
    doesnt justin beiber brainwash people into trying to kill them selves becuase he sucks? dave grohl is awsome...justin bieber is not...
    NHECOS
    Justin Bieber's songs are not masterpieces. Probably it's not even him that writes them. His music is soooo popular because the record company forces it down the radios throats to play them again and again and again... You ear it so many times, that it get's in your ear. I bet everybody (the UG comunity included), know the lyrics to Britney Spears Baby One more Time... It's sad, but it is nothing more than corporate strategy.
    mikitakas
    Well, to me Foo Fighters are one of the bands that keeps me from being brainwashed, loved White Limo, especially the video with Lemmy
    fetjuel
    nightruler666 wrote: I order to bang chicks he first has to hit puberty(if that ever happens)I guarante he going to end up wasted up like all teen idols and he's proves that teenage girls are idiots.
    With a post full of misspellings and grammatical errors.. should you really be calling teenage girls "idiots"?
    Vicryl 2.0
    beiber could be reading this now and laughing his ass off... his making millions.
    guitarman052
    TheHawkdaddy wrote: People hate Beiber because his music doesnt warrant his income. Much like Nickelback.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd take Beiber ove Nickelback anyday. They have gotte nquite annoying with their songs, which seem to be about sexual oriented things now!
    guitarman052
    guitarman052 wrote: TheHawkdaddy wrote: People hate Beiber because his music doesnt warrant his income. Much like Nickelback. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd take Beiber ove Nickelback anyday. They have gotten quite annoying with their songs, which seem to be about sexual oriented things now!
    Fixed
    mark3777
    so basically a two year old can sing along to bieber. oh, and foo fighters have a new album soon.
    guitarman052
    Salvo416 wrote: Why don't you guys "go and let it die" about justin bieber.
    Ha, +1 for you!
    MonsterOfRock wrote: Dave should make her daughter listen to "Smells like Teen Spirit" and tell her its Beiber. And slowly convert her to rock. Hey, If anyones gonna brainwash my daughter it should be me!
    I don't think the ashes of Kurt would like that very much!
    Horsedick.MPEG wrote: Justin Beiber has better songs than BTBAM and Tool. Just saying
    It seems that your statement, is quite untrue. I'm sure Tool could kick the pants and/or shoes off of that kid anyday! They would most likely melt his face off as well!
    madnaz wrote: justin beiber can ball lol
    Yeah, if he can ball, then tell me, what was that when Scottie Pippen was wiping the floor with him. Yes I know Pippen is tall, but still. I hated Beibs at first, because people said I had a hairstyle like him. It is not his hairstyle, it was around before he was famous! I wanted to choke the living shit out of him, or whoever said that to me. I know, I'm violent. And I just hate pop music in general. Also, because he tries to act black. Seriously, what is with that!? But, I don't hate him anymore, I just don't care for him. Or the "perfect" image he puts out. Can't stand the little annoying girls that "love" him and claim that they will be the one to marry him either. There was that fan of his that punched his new girlfriend, which was ridiculous! That brings on a whole new level of crazy fangirl! But when his balls drop, so many people will suddenly forget about him and move on. It happens whith pretty much every male pop artist. Also, it was ridiculous that he lost a lot of followers on twitter just because he got a haircut. It just shows how stuck up and stupid people are. So he got a hircut, whoop-tee-doo! However, it is funny to make fun of him, but you can do that with any artist. I think I've pretty much covered everything here. XD Except for Dave Grohl resisting to hark on him. Good for you Mr. Grohl!
    GenerationKILL
    nightruler666 wrote: nightruler666 wrote: mrxxbrownstone wrote: you guyz would be surprised with the talent bieber has i'm not a fan but the kid actually has talent. drums guitar piano does it all anyone can play beginner guitar, drums, and piano. if he has all that talent then why isn't he using it? begiGenerationKILL wrote: krypticguitar87 wrote: GenerationKILL wrote: ultimatelefty wrote: ... and then the day comes where Justin Biebers balls drop, I wonder whats gonna happen? But hes no different from past acts, the Jonas Brothers, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC... ...Except Justin Timberlake turned into a rad solo artist. oddly enough the high school girls are into backstreet boys agina, I only know this cuz my little sister is in highschool.... Yeah, but JT was in NSYNC. Ask your sister. LOL! I'm just saying its SOOOOO easy to trash an ENTERTAINER like Justin Bieber...The kids' a hard worker, and has busted his ass to get where he is now, like I said, when I was 17 I was getting drunk in a park and being an idiot... I can respect this kid because I respect hard workers... I also respect Firemen, Construction Workers, Single moms and anyone else that busts their ass. That doesn't mean I am a FAN. I just have respect... And for the record, I find the 90 million annoying youtube comments about "uniting to save rock from Justin Bieber" and the endless parade of opinionated 17 year old metalheads MORE ANNOYING than him. yea he's busting his ass to take someone else's beats and claim that it is his own and he busts his ass making cheesy lyrics. Fireman ,construction workers, single mom they bust their asses of not him
    Okay then? You're just an idiot, because whether or not he sings OVER a beat or creates it himself, hes still worked his ass off to get where he is... Obviously you missed the point... I am AWARE that hes not the second coming of "the band RUSH" but he never the less works his ass off... Just like Michael Jackson did, Justin Timberlake did, and so did *gasp* The Jonas Brothers!!!! What I am saying is that these people are ENTERTAINERS! not MUSICIANS on the same PAR AS ROGER WATERS! They're hard workers and I can somewhat respect that! Grow up and stop considering your ideas of what success is more valid than other peoples. The Kid makes $300,000 a show (which is more than what I can say I was doing when I was 17,) And I can RESPECT THAT... As I said... Kudos to Dave Grohl for actually saying something positive about the kid, rather than just adding to the ANNOYING HATE ON (CHECK YOUTUBE and 90 million ANNOYING hate messages about the Biebs' to see what I mean...)
    j-falafel
    I'm not a fan of his music, but hold up people... You're throwing random insults at a guy for just doing what he loves. Let's say, you get in a successful band that you're really into, then all the sudden you see comments all over the internet calling YOU gay, insulting YOU because people aren't happy with the way YOU have chosen to make music. I don't think you'd like that, would you? No, chances are you wouldn't. Chances are you'd be quite upset by it, and I wonder how Justin feels when he goes on the internet and sees all these stupid hate comments from people who just like to cause trouble. He probably feels pretty terrible. Are you all so selfish that you don't care at ALL about this dude's feelings? Sure you don't know him but you never know what a stupid insult can to do a person emotionally. Personally, I am happy for him because he caught the media's attention at such an early age. I must admit it wouldn't be a terrible thing to be discovered on YouTube by a pretty famous musician who offers you a contract. This kid SHOULD be envied, and he is by some. I've seen a lot less Bieber fans than I've seen haters. You all should just stop talking shit about this guy just for doing what he wants to do. It's his life, and if you don't like that then just stop with the childish insults, unless you're really too selfish to care how negatively your remarks could affect someone. I apologize for the rant, but I just needed to say something.
    Chronologo
    DonJulio wrote: "My daughter Harper, who is not even two, can sing that 'Baby' song," he told the Daily Star. this seems to say a lot about the lyrical quality of the song...
    +99999
    spider_rotation
    It's funny how the title can be interpreted versus how Dave Grohl actually feels. He's a completely legitimate music figure, yet he shies away from anything inflammatory and just says "congratulations to him." Very class. If I were the one being interviewed, I'd probably have a hard time not poking fun at Bieber.
    The Earth Gods
    I'm gunna pretend I didn't see Dave say God Bless Justin Bieber. I'm also gunna assume it was a youthism for fuk him.
    Lion_Slicer
    Meh, she'll grow up. Not-even-2-year-olds don't have much in the way of real taste--they still think paint chips are a delicacy for example. She'll be exposed to no shortage of real awesome music in the coming years, considering her dad is 1) in every band and 2) probably God.
    nirvana_14
    dave grohl's right. bieber's music is sh*t. anyways, her daughter will grow up. and she will realize that bieber's music was a sucker..
    Eirien
    I'm barely aware of who Bieber is. The only time I've heard him mentioned is when people are slagging him off, the only time I've seen an image of him or heard him is on South Park. Why are people so obsessed with 'celebrities' they claim to despise?
    mikebbx
    Lion_Slicer wrote: Meh, she'll grow up. Not-even-2-year-olds don't have much in the way of real taste--they still think paint chips are a delicacy for example. She'll be exposed to no shortage of real awesome music in the coming years, considering her dad is 1) in every band and 2) probably God.
    He's not god, he's the devil Tenacious D
    rockfreak611
    DonJulio wrote: "My daughter Harper, who is not even two, can sing that 'Baby' song," he told the Daily Star. this seems to say a lot about the lyrical quality of the song...
    THIS
    Lydian_Mode
    my question is why Dave Grohl would let a song like Baby to be played in his house in the first place
    SkepsisMetal
    Lydian_Mode wrote: my question is why Dave Grohl would let a song like Baby to be played in his house in the first place
    Maybe because he's a chill guy, who doesn't want to go all Kim Jong Il on his daughter. She's 2, she can listen to whatever she likes. And so can he. And so can everyone. God, I love that man. Everything he does just gains respect haha.
    blenk
    SkepsisMetal wrote: Lydian_Mode wrote: my question is why Dave Grohl would let a song like Baby to be played in his house in the first place Maybe because he's a chill guy, who doesn't want to go all Kim Jong Il on his daughter. She's 2, she can listen to whatever she likes. And so can he. And so can everyone. God, I love that man. Everything he does just gains respect haha.
    +1