Dave Mustaine Against Gay Marriage

The Megadeth frontman sticks by his Christian beliefs, but the Dillinger Escape Plan frontman thinks homophobia is just a front. What do you think?

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Dave Mustaine has made yet another controversial comment this month, this time on the topic of gay marriage.

The Megadeth frontman was being interviewed on Seattle Sounds (via Blabbermouth) when he was asked if he supports gay marriage. "Well, since I'm not gay, the answer to that would be no," he said.

When asked if he would at least support legislation which made marriage between two men legal, he replied, "I'm Christian. The answer to that would be no."

The potentially divisive comments follows his controversial comments in support of Republican candidate Rick Santorum last week. The backlash became so severe that he was compelled to backtrack on his comments the following day.

While Mustaine's apparent homophobia appears to stem from his Christian beliefs, it's a topic which is often evaded in the rock world. However, one rock frontman is willing to step forward and speak out against homophobia in metal culture.

Dillinger Escape Plan frontman Greg Puciato answered a fan-submitted question on the topic this weekend. The fan asked why homophobia was still rife in metal, when it is traditionally a genre which prides itself on being comprised of outsiders.

"I really think masculinity insecurity issues are the problem, and listening to testosterone-charged music and putting on a tough-guy front enables the people with those issues to live in a sort of constructed 'man suit,'" replied Puciato.

"It's frustrating that the United States leans so much on Christianity politically, a religion that teaches at its fundamental core complete intolerance toward homosexuality.

"It's not a coincidence that homophobia is most rampant in those three genres [metal, hip-hop and country], and that those genres are primarily embraced by low-income groups, groups that have low exposure to quality education, and almost no exposure to travel or different cultures. Punk and hardcore ethics have always been more refreshing and progressive, however."

It's a topic that rarely gets an opportunity for debate, so we're interested to hear where the UG community stands on this.

Is Mustaine within his rights to stick by his Christian views, or is it a medieval point of view which need replacing with a more progressive mentality? Share your view in the comments.

452 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    jurnag12
    Well, there's something to be said for him sticking to his beliefs (Although I resent the implication that one has to be gay to support gay marriage). And for everyone in the metal community who has something against homosexuals, 2 words: Rob Halford. (Hell,if you're into black metal, Gaahl)
    WhoAMEye
    Man has his beliefs fair enough, however.... It seems to me (and my crazy non american ways) that the "land of the free" is decidedly hypocritical in its treatment of minority groups. It is implied in the first amendment that an individual can practice their beliefs , unimpeded by government. However it seems that Christians dictate what people can or can't do. Gays can't marry because the Christians (in the main) object I don't pretend to fully understand American law but if A gay couple wish to marry then surely it is implied that they are free to do so and that right to express their choice of lifestyle should be honoured by the government not blocked. Christians can go on believing it wrong. Its their right. But that constitutionally should not dictate Government policy.
    Elderer
    GrungeHippie26 wrote: Oh great here comes the shit storm...
    Prepare your arse cracks.
    kylealex09
    BigSpence wrote: I don't support gay marriage either, but I'm not going to go around telling gays the shouldn't be allowed to be married. That's just ignorant. I just feel marriage should be between a man and a woman and if any of you have a problem with my opinion, you're no better than all the homophobes who preach and rant against gay marriage.
    I just believe everyone should be treated equally. If they want to be miserable like the rest of us they should.
    metallica-#1
    The Megadeth frontman was being interviewed on Seattle Sounds (via Blabbermouth) when he was asked if he supports gay marriage. "Well, since I'm not gay, the answer to that would be no," he said.
    "When asked if he thought children in Ethiopia deserved food for their starving population, Mustaine replied 'I'm not from Ethiopia, so no." c'mon, Davie. you dont have to BE gay to support their right to be married, like what $hithappen$16 said, so as it doesn't negatively effect someone elses life, whats the problem?
    Ghostmaker
    New rule: If gays can't marry cus the bible says so, then Christians can't divorce, or have premarital sex.
    jordo246
    Hmm I don't see what's wrong, he was asked a question and he answered it, oh wait this is the internet opinions aren't aloud.
    Lion_Slicer
    BigSpence wrote: I don't support gay marriage either, but I'm not going to go around telling gays the shouldn't be allowed to be married. That's just ignorant. I just feel marriage should be between a man and a woman and if any of you have a problem with my opinion, you're no better than all the homophobes who preach and rant against gay marriage.
    That's not really true, since I'm not trying to legally deny your right to have an opinion or to live your life the way you want, whereas gay people ARE having their rights legally denied. I don't see the sense in imposing your morality on others when it can only hurt. You aren't going to win any converts to your religion by telling people that God considers them second-class citizens.
    iommi600
    This is the ****in' 21st century, Mustaine. What's the big deal about two fellas gettin' married? Their ass is gonna suffer, not mine, not yours. ()
    snaaake
    Is there anything less metal than supporting religious oppression? Stop making me hate myself every time I turn on a Megadeth record.
    $hithappen$16
    I have no issue with gay marriage as i don't personally see how two men getting married is any of my bussiness. Do whatever you want with your life with whomever you want, so long as it doesn't negatively effect someone elses life. With that said, Dave is entitled to his opinions and beliefs. They asked him a question and he answered honestly. He didn't use any homophobic slurs or say anything out of line so therefore he should not be harassed about it.
    guitar7masta
    spiff-corgi wrote: KJP wrote: Last time I checked, no Christian denomination invented or owns the rights to the concept of marriage. You need to check again then.
    marriage is as old as man, it was created LONG before Christianity, or any other religion for that matter, ever existed
    Zombow
    I respect his opinion and I can agree but also disagree. I don't see the reason why someone (any sex) should get married. If they love eachother, why do they need a ring, an expensive ''party'' and a priest to prove it? But of course, everyone has their own opinion.
    on3andth3sam3
    God knows I"m no ambassador for the LGBT community, but I didn't see anyone else mention being LGBT, so i suppose i should say something to express how people like us feel about this. I've been called a faggot, I've lost friends, and even some family members disowned me (thankfully my mother is supportive of who i am). I just want to be like all of you; to be accepted by society, and to get the same rights as you. I want to find the man or woman of my dreams and spend the rest of my life with them. What's so wrong about that? I'm not saying you need to think I'm the coolest person alive because I find both sexes attractive, I just want you to realize that I'm a person, and I deserve to be treated equally. Thank you to everyone who's straight on here who support me and my community, and to all the haters: You're just mad because I'm fabulous ;D
    BillyRamone
    "Dave Mustaine pays UG to Print Irrelevant, Pointless Articles to Keep His Name Out There" This is the only reasonable long term conclusion.
    spiff-corgi
    Oh come on don't start with this bullshit - "At least he's sticking to his views." It's not about whether he's sticking to his views, it's about bigotry, and how often it is defended by "oh well I'm religious so that's why". If that's what religion's about then F-UCK religion!
    DickHardwood
    Jesus preached about love,acceptance and forgiveness.Shame those who claim to follow his words are such bigoted,petty people..nobody should even care about gay marriage,just let them have it for ****s sake.
    benjixoath
    ...a christian is against gay marriage, **** sake UG how is this bullshit "news" i'm sure you get a ****ing great laugh sitting in your office watching people argue, you're just posting bullshit arguments to get hate on dave mustaine. grow the **** up and post something ****ing worthwhile
    fede01_8
    i'm was raised catholic and i tbelieve that everyone has the right to love whoever they want to
    That Old Geezer
    Mustaine please just shut up. Love your music but just shut up.
    noahi9
    Yep, you just don't want to face the sheer dangers of shoving your dick up the rectum and penetrating through the human waste.
    spiff-corgi
    Devilish Dave wrote: A few years ago they had problem between white and black people. Now they have problems between straight and gay.. It's a never ending... What's next fat and skinny?
    Maybe it's because after society became more tolerant of other races, people who were gay slowly started to come out of the closet because they no longer feared being oppressed in this new, accepting society... I don't know though, I'm only using logic at the end of the day.
    KJP
    Last time I checked, no Christian denomination invented or owns the rights to the concept of marriage.
    Amuro Jay
    Jesus, Dave, quit being a knob. You don't have to be gay to support gay rights. That's like saying you have to be a tree to support the environment, or an animal to support animal rights. And being Christian doesn't mean forcing your believes down someone else's throat, so your point is moot regardless. I realize he's only saying he doesn't support it, but he's choosing his words carefully. If push came to shove, he'd be outright opposed to it.
    nafireball
    PoopietheClown wrote: Hey D*ckwads...Mustaine has the same opinion as this manchild f*cktard of a president. Go crucify him before I get the urge to donkey punch your mom.
    Tough words coming from PoopieTheClown.
    Macabre_Turtle
    Vinson wrote: He didn't say he hated gays....just that they shouldn't be able to marry. Marriage began as a religious concept....odd that people don't understand when a religious person has an issue with altering a religious concept.
    Oh marriage is just a religious thing is, it? Well, in that case we should ban anybody who isn't religious from getting married, and we should ban divorces too. And finally, getting married shouldn't have any legal affects since we supposedly have separation of church and state. And finally, all of those things would have to be aloud since the government is constitutionally forbidden from giving a shit about religious practices.
    FerretBob
    spiff-corgi wrote: KJP wrote: Last time I checked, no Christian denomination invented or owns the rights to the concept of marriage. You need to check again then.
    Actually no. Some form of marriage has cropped up in most societies around the world, independently of the arrival of Abrahamic faiths. Some even accepted same-sex couples (Zapotecs in Mexico, for example) Christianity does not have a monopoly on marriage, otherwise atheists wouldn't be able to marry, would they?
    js81221
    Don't give me that shit; you're not gay, but you don't want legalization. So? They're still gay? In your damn intolerant minds they're still going to hell anyways. Why not let them get their happiness out anyways by being together and married? THERE'S NOTHING MORE THAT CAN PISS ME OFF THAN INTOLERANCE. I'M NOT GAY. BUT COME ON. GAY RIGHTS NOT NATURAL? NEITHER IS SHITTING INDOORS.
    classicrockboy
    Not getting too much into this discussion, but just because someone doesn't support gay marriage doesn't mean they're "homophobic." Just saying...
    neversleeps84
    Let's change some of the words around and see what happens: Do you support negroes being freed from enslavement? Mustaine: "Well, since I'm not a negro, the answer to that would be 'no'." Would you at least support legislation that allowed negroes to be freed? Mustaine: "I'm in the Ku Klux Klan. The answer that that would be 'no'."
    BigSpence
    Lion_Slicer wrote: BigSpence wrote: I don't support gay marriage either, but I'm not going to go around telling gays the shouldn't be allowed to be married. That's just ignorant. I just feel marriage should be between a man and a woman and if any of you have a problem with my opinion, you're no better than all the homophobes who preach and rant against gay marriage. That's not really true, since I'm not trying to legally deny your right to have an opinion or to live your life the way you want, whereas gay people ARE having their rights legally denied. I don't see the sense in imposing your morality on others when it can only hurt. You aren't going to win any converts to your religion by telling people that God considers them second-class citizens.
    I don't believe that a person is going to Hell for being gay or that God thinks they're second-class. I BELIEVE (keyword) that God loves everyone the same way and being a homosexual isn't a one-way ticket to Hell. Hell is for serious crimes and sins like intentional murder or rape. I'm not looking to win any converts (for the record, I'm a Mormon). I know UG is full of atheists but I have no problem discussing religion. Most of my friends are atheists as well and when they ask me what I believe, gay marriage doesn't even come up in the conversation.
    iommi600
    Btw, I was kinda joking on my previous comment, but there's a kernel of truth on it. I used to have a lot of respect for Mustaine, but his recent statements are really killing this respect. I don't think that such a big deal should be made about gay marriage, it's not a cancer to society or something. Please Mustaine, stop drinking your daily Jesus potion, your brain is dying.
    Macabre_Turtle
    jayrod4321 wrote: I think thats great that Mustaine stood up for his belief, its refreshing to see a Christian in metal, theres not many out there.
    It will never be refreshing to see somebody stand up AGAINST somebody's rights.
    Abacus11
    dmaccy06 wrote: #1: I don't want my children growing up in a world where it is socially acceptable for a man to screw a man. What you do in your own time is fine with me, I don't love you any less. #2: I think the author is way to biased on this subject. Way too many implications that don't really exist in the real world. You can't assume everyone that is against gay marriage is a homaphobe. I have gay friends, but when it comes to that part of their life, i'm simply in disagreement. We still love eachother as people and have a lot of fun. Thanks for reading my opinion.
    Just admit it... you think that gay people aren't equal to you. Just because you try to word it in a passive way doesn't mean that you're not being hateful. Years ago, people like you thought that black people shouldn't have the same rights as whites and that women shouldn't have the same rights as men. That worked out well huh? When will hateful people ever learn?
    guitar7masta
    very interesting that he implies one has to BE gay to SUPPORT gays. just shows how bigoted and uneducated he his concerning this subject. essentially it's like saying white people couldn't support the civil rights movement because they weren't black, or that men couldn't support women's suffrage because they weren't women. very close minded, very silly. however he is entitled to his own opinions, i'm just glad he isn't in any position of power.
    guitar7masta
    myopathy wrote: FerretBob: I've read both those passages and you're taking it out of context.It says that homosexuality is wrong.But it's saying to hate the sin,not the sinner.I have gay friends and they're close friends of mine but I just disagree with their idea of gay marriage because of my belief system.Does it make sense to hate someone who's gay just based off of them being gay? I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT IN ANY OFFENSIVE MANNER.The last thing I want to start is another flame war.
    i wish most people were at that level of enlightenment, but unfortunately most people don't see a difference between sin and sinner. plus for many people, what you say is very empty handed support. i'm sure in the voting booth you'd vote against gay marriage, which if i was in your position, i simply would not be able to do. you say you have gay friends, yet i would never be able to vote to infringe on my friends rights. you don't sound like a very nice friend imo.
    Asutari
    God doesnt hate people. He hates the actions people do....but i think in Daves case he will make an exception.
    kylealex09
    Easy. I'm a white male and I'm straight. I also believe in God. Anyone different than me should be treated equally and given the same rights as me. BECAUSE THEY ARE HUMAN. Simple.
    Macabre_Turtle
    "Well, since I'm not gay, the answer to that would be no." So everybody that supports gay marriage must be gay?
    Red Robster
    Just because he doesnt support gay marriage doesnt make him a homophobe. They asked him a question and he gave an honest answer...get of his back