Dave Mustaine Hopes For Megadeth/Metallica Supergroup

Megadeth's Dave Mustaine says he wants to form a Megadeth/Metallica supergroup.

Dave Mustaine Hopes For Megadeth/Metallica Supergroup
25
Megadeth's Dave Mustaine says he wants to form a Megadeth/Metallica supergroup. He told Texas radio station 97.1 The Eagle Rocks, "I've talked to Lars [Ulrich] and James [Hetfield] about me and David [Ellefson, Megadeth bassist] doing a supergroup record with Lars and James." "Well, James said 'no', but it's still kind of out there in the air", he said. "I'm gonna keep hammering on him. It's on my bucket list." Mustaine was one quarter of the original Metallica lineup in the 1980s, but was fired. Kirk Hammett replaced him. After years of animosity between the bands, Metallica and Megadeth have been touring together recently as part of the Big Four Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax. While Mustaine is reaching out to his ex-Metallica bandmates, he says there is no way back for Megadeth guitarist Marty Friedman. "It's not that he's not welcome, it's just that there's no position for him. And Marty's not as good as Chris [Broderick, current Megadeth guitarist]." "And Marty wanted to be a pop guitar player. He left to join a girl in a band in Japan... The lineup featuring Friedman [and drummer Nick Menza] wasn't the most important lineup anyways. The lineup that we have right now has achieved more than those guys ever did. If you think about it, the groundwork, the building the band back up from nothing... Marty and Nick got in the band when the band was already huge." Thanks for the report to Michael Leonard, Gibson.com.

261 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Mouloudo
    Marty had soul.. seems like Mustaine picked Broderick because he's the best living backingtrack ever... got to give him props for playing every solo down to the note, without any mistakes oen every show, but that's liek putting the original track on stage, he lacks the soul of a real player, wich plays uptempo when the energy is high, and can play more mellow when the atmosphere is laid back, and not playing the same every night like a metronome
    toolareawesome
    dude you are probably not a guitarist or you havent been playing long if you think marty is better than chris, chris is hands down the best guitarist megadeth has ever had.
    I agree with you here, but are you seriously saying Chris's current solos are better than Marty's solos in RIP and Countdown? Bullsh*t.
    fede01_8
    And Marty's not as good as Chris
    good to know that Dave is still the same ***** as he alway was. You can't publicly bury a former bandmate like that!
    guitarman052
    I think this would be alright. This is something I'd love to see, even though I wasn't even alive when Mustaine was in Metallica. Besides, it could make the Megadeth vs. Metallica idiots to shut up! If they were to do this, we would hear Kirk using any of his wah pedals on the solos. The worst that could happen is they re-do the songs with Rob & Kirk. Which I'm not sure they would. But if they did, I'd lose all the respect I have for Metallica.
    *wouldn't hear Kirk use any of his wah pedals on the solos. There, fixed!
    Prog_Metal_Head
    Mustaine was saying something about this ten years ago. If it still hasn't happened, I doubt it ever will.
    Its the Kyle
    1. off course he only wrote and recorded the solos, thats what lead guitarist do, just like Broderick
    Uh...no? Either you don't play in a band, or you do and your lead guitarist is a lazy-ass bum.
    NeilTheDruid
    I think Marty contributed a massive amount to Megadeth in style, much the way Alex Skolnick makes Testament sound like Testament, I have always felt the same about Marty Friedman - his sound in very unique. On the other hand I think having him back in Megadeth would only be a tribute or trying to reproduce the good ol' days. Chris Broderick is a great guitarist and takes Megadeths sound to new places, just what Megadeth needs.
    Mouloudo
    peachesenregali wrote: Chris Broderick is a robot, technically fabulous but musically dead. YOU'RE A MENTALIST DAVE!
    + 100000
    davpajaro
    Marty's soloing in Megadeth was "better" than any of Chris's solos in Megadeth to date. But, Broderick is a much better overall guitarist. Check out any of his classical, or shredding on youtube and you'll hear ... there's no comparison!
    peachesenregali
    And Marty's not as good as Chris [Broderick, current Megadeth guitarist]." "And Marty wanted to be a pop guitar player. He left to join a girl in a band in Japan... The lineup featuring Friedman [and drummer Nick Menza] wasn't the most important lineup anyways. The lineup that we have right now has achieved more than those guys ever did. If you think about it, the groundwork, the building the band back up from nothing... Marty and Nick got in the band when the band was already huge." Fuck off Dave, are you serious? Nothing Megadeth have done in the past 15 years has been anywhere near as good as R.I.P or Countdown. Marty Friedman is one of the few interesting guitar players in thrash metal history. HAVE YOU HEARD JAG PANZER!?!?! Chris Broderick is a robot, technically fabulous but musically dead. YOU'RE A MENTALIST DAVE!
    Mouloudo
    page.slash wrote: The RIP album was not that important of a line up. Dave has stressed over and over that Marty was not part of the writing process for RIP. He was hired after the writing had been done, and only recorded/wrote the solos. They are memorable solos, no doubt. But the solos did not carry the album. The songs as a whole did. And how is Marty better than Chris? Sure, music is subjective. But Chris' consistent technique suring live performance isn't matched by Marty. And on a technical standpoint, it is my understanding that Chris has more of a grasp on theory, having a masters degree in music. Which also brings me to the point, Chris doesn't just play electric, he's a fantastic jazz player and fabulous classical guitarist. Sure, it doesn't show in Megadeth, but this has to be considered before making a foolish general statement that Marty>Chris.
    1. off course he only wrote and recorded the solos, thats what lead guitarist do, just like Broderick 2. if you judge musical talent with degrees, so jimi hendrix, jimmy page, Van halen, david Gilmpour, CLapton, Slash, hetfield etc must suck 3. name me a solo wrote by broderick wich is as memorable as tornado of souls and others wrote by friedman... conclusion: you say a guitarist is better than another because he can play a eolian scale with his d**k, emotion and inspiration is the key, therefore Friedman IS the better guitarist
    page.slash
    The RIP album was not that important of a line up. Dave has stressed over and over that Marty was not part of the writing process for RIP. He was hired after the writing had been done, and only recorded/wrote the solos. They are memorable solos, no doubt. But the solos did not carry the album. The songs as a whole did. And how is Marty better than Chris? Sure, music is subjective. But Chris' consistent technique suring live performance isn't matched by Marty. And on a technical standpoint, it is my understanding that Chris has more of a grasp on theory, having a masters degree in music. Which also brings me to the point, Chris doesn't just play electric, he's a fantastic jazz player and fabulous classical guitarist. Sure, it doesn't show in Megadeth, but this has to be considered before making a foolish general statement that Marty>Chris.
    kill it
    chris has amazing technique and can shred with the best but marty is easily a better soloist. I will always choose melody and musicianship over technical tricks and speed. you tube is full of guitarists with tons of technical skills but no feel or melodic sense. it's sad people who claim to be musicians can't hear the difference.
    Tanaboon
    People say Chris is too robotic and not emotional. I'd disagree with that and say that he's an amazing guitar player. I think people discredit him because they miss Marty Friedman. I also miss Marty, and to say that he didn't contribute to Megadeth is blasphemy. And to say that the current lineup achieved more than the Rust In Peace line up, through Countdown to Extinction, is bullshit.
    Wakisazhi
    I have to agree and disagree with Dave's last comments. 1. Marty and Chris are on equal ground at best (if anything Marty is probably just a smidge better than Chris.) 2. I disagree, Rust in Peace cemented their status in the Metal world. Pretty important line-up if you ask me. 3. Yeah they joined when Megadeth would've been considered huge but whose to say they really have had THAT much success overall since then? In the Metal world perhaps, but overall they have declined somewhat (then again Metal isn't exactly the face of music these days.) 4. I think getting Marty and Nick back would be both good and bad, it would be good because it was definitely an incredible and very respectable line-up but then again it kind of pigeonholes them further as more of a nostalgia act.
    nemesis65
    Chris' technique is miles beyond Marty, but Marty's phrasing and sense of melody is and always will be better than Chris'. Put any Friedman record on and you instantly know it's Marty playing. Put on a song Chris Broderick plays on and it sounds just like any other contemporary shredder. Case closed.
    metalfan986
    It would be a cool idea but Megadeth w/ Chris Broderick being better than Megadeth w/ Friedman? I get that Mustaine is going to say something like that for whatever guitarist he has at the time but he's not fooling anyone but himself.
    dezmoines333
    masterp666 wrote: The best name mashup would clearly be 'Metaldeth'.
    or DethMetal XP \m/
    DarkieBC
    It should be a Megadeth/Slayer supergroup, that would be so *BEEP* awesome!!
    RDArtist
    Dave's so messed up. Always thought he was cooler than Metallica though. Maybe James could attend a few sessions, steal some riffs from Dave, then fire him.
    ChamsRock
    I can't see it happening, but I'd totally buy the album/single/EP/whatever. I also like the idea of one person from each big 4 band, but again, after Newstead, I doubt we'd see much/any Metallica involvement.
    METAL JEFF
    I knew since watching the some kinda monster that Dave wanted to get back with metallica.If you carefully watch the part of the movie with the metting between Dave and Lars.Dave says he had dreams with Metallica and that he still has dreams.To me that means that he wants back in.I'd trade him in for Kirk,any day.
    scawti
    How about get Kerry instead of James and Frank Bello instead of Junior and have a real big four super group?
    vmntshredder
    Mustaine Does Not Need Metallica, and Metallica does not need Mustaine. Both of these bands are successful in their own right. I enjoy the classic Metallica thrash sound from "Kill 'em All " - "...And Justice For All ", along with some of their later stuff like "Enter Sandman ", "Bleeding Me " and "The Outlaw Torn ". However, I found "Endgame " superior in comparison to "Death Magnetic ". Not all Super Groups are trash (Neurotic Outsiders, Black Country Communion, and Velvet Revolver to name a few), but I cannot see anything good to come about from a Metallica/Megadeth super group. It will risk future tours from the "BIG 4 ", and may result in creating problems within each band. This [i]IS [/i] a bad idea!
    Peranthus
    It's kind of pathetic that an adult acts so childishly. He should'nt disrespect his former bandmates like that. And for god sake, let the metallica thing go... shittt, it's been 30 yearsssss.
    rgt42dx
    it would be great to see james and lars write with the daves. you know you've been mind fapping to that before. but yeah a few songs would be great.
    <3 Herman <3
    There's a happy medium: The Big Four Band. Have extended jams, different covers, mash ups of songs by each band, and maybe even ***gasp*** original songs. It will help prevent the Big Four shows from getting old and repetitive and it will make sure that the act stays touring around.
    djc707
    "The lineup featuring Friedman [and drummer Nick Menza] wasn't the most important lineup anyways. The lineup that we have right now has achieved more than those guys ever did. If you think about it, the groundwork, the building the band back up from nothing... Marty and Nick got in the band when the band was already huge." ^Oh Dave, I totally forgot that Endgame pushed you guys over the musical edge. Which makes sense, because Rust In Peace wasn't a major musical achievement or anything. I'm totally holding out for when you play the Endgame tour in 18 years. Let's see Marty and Menza in your lineup for worst 1990 album ever. I love Megadeth, but shit like this is why Dave is the Gene Simmons of metal...but good at his instrument.
    GenerationKILL
    James would never shaft Kirk and Rob for the sake of a supergroup reuniting Dave with him and Lars, it would give people the Impression that Metallica is James and Lars, not James, Lars, Kirk and Rob. I hope he doesn't faulter and says NO. Although I am not against Megadeth and Metallica doing a collaboration Album featuring Dave, James, Kirk and Chris on the guitars, they could do an Iron Maiden thing where they have 3 guitarists now, Kirk and Chris would just have to trade off on guitar parts...
    sheriff_nein
    marty may not be able to play as fast, but his style is a lot more distinctive, and he is more creative. plus, he played on their best records, which really cant be overlooked...
    InertSolo
    Also, on a more important note; emotion in playing is such a subjective topic that it's silly to call a guitarist better than another over something as nebulous as that. Emotions encompass so many possible feelings, it's foolish to go around saying "this guy plays with more emotion than this one" because you can't measure that.
    hames jetfield
    facts- 1. Some people like Marty. 2. Some like Chris. 3. Both are good guitarists. 4. Dave is a douche.
    InertSolo
    Gallardo147 wrote: I love the argument between those who favor Chris's technical skills and Marty's emotional playing. That is a stupid argument, emotion and expression in music is the most important part of it, the general audience (who will buy the CDs and attend the concerts) dont give a **** whether an eolian scale is played or a simple pentatonic. If technicality is taken into play, then both of them suck compared to guitarists like Lee McKinney, Paul Waggoner, Misha Mansoor, or Michael Keene.
    Did you honestly type this thinking that anyone would take you seriously? Paul Waggoner or Misha Mansoor better than Chris from a technical standpoint? I mean I like them too but LOL.
    Kioshi
    I kinda wanna see kirk getting a short term injury, like a broken arm our communing. Nothing bad, but enough that dave could full in for him. I also think it would be cool for them to poke fun at one another by covering each other. Tell me you don't want to see megadeth play master of puppets or metallica doing tornado of souls.
    maowcat
    Rust in Peace is the only megadeth album i actually enjoy, marty was a ****ing genius at his leads. On the side i think it would be awesome for metallica and megadeth to colab, it seems that dave is really trying to redeem himself with metallica. I think a big 4 colab would be awesome.
    Colter
    OH MAN I LOVE STUFF LIKE THIS....dave saying chris better then marty OMG noooo and imagine if kirk quits metallica and dave joins could you imagine
    hames jetfield
    rattleurhead wrote: MetallicaFan44 : At least just re-record Jump in the Fire. This hames jetfield : I like how Chris butchers Tornado of souls solo live. I've seen Megadeth 4 times in the past 2 years, and Chris nailed that solo every time.
    I've seen Rust in Peace live video and he doesn't play the last 4-5 bars particularly well(certainly not what I call "nailed it") Anyway, I can only Dave's voice if I know Marty's solo is coming up.
    Jimmypageclone
    Wakisazhi wrote: I have to agree and disagree with Dave's last comments. 1. Marty and Chris are on equal ground at best (if anything Marty is probably just a smidge better than Chris.
    Chris has ten times the technique Marty has.
    Gallardo147
    I love the argument between those who favor Chris's technical skills and Marty's emotional playing. That is a stupid argument, emotion and expression in music is the most important part of it, the general audience (who will buy the CDs and attend the concerts) dont give a **** whether an eolian scale is played or a simple pentatonic. If technicality is taken into play, then both of them suck compared to guitarists like Lee McKinney, Paul Waggoner, Misha Mansoor, or Michael Keene.
    saint_berzerker
    Chris better than Marty? No. Chris' solos are nothing but noodling imo. I think Dave could've done better.