Dave Mustaine Not Ready To 'Endorse' Rick Santorum

Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine has issued the statement to clarify media reports that he has endorsed Republican Rick Santorum for president.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

According to Blabbermouth.net, Megadeth mainman Dave Mustaine has issued the following statement to clarify media reports that he has endorsed Republican Rick Santorum for president:

"Contrary to how some people have interpreted my words, I have not endorsed any presidential candidate. What I did say was that I hope to see a Republican in the White House. I've seen good qualities in all the candidates but by no means have made my choice yet. I respect the fact that Santorum took time off from his campaign to be with his sick daughter, but I never used the word 'endorse'."

Santorum, the former two-term senator from Pennsylvania who was known during his tenure for being one of the more socially-conservative members of Congress, won caucuses in Colorado and Minnesota as well as the Missouri primary last week.

In a recent interview with MusicRadar.com, Mustaine - who was a correspondent for MTV during the 1992 presidential election - was asked for his take on U.S. politics in 2012. "I'm just hoping that whatever is in the White House next year is a Republican," Mustaine replied. "I can't bear to watch what's happened to our great country. Everybody's got their head in the sand. Everybody in the industry is like, 'Oh, Obama's doing such a great job...' I don't think so. Not from what I see.

"Looking at the Republican candidates, I've got to tell you, I was floored the other day to see that Mitt Romney's five boys have a $100 million trust fund. Where does a guy make that much money? So there's some questions there. And watching Newt Gingrich, I was pretty excited for a while, but now he's just gone back to being that person that everybody said he was - that angry little man. I still like him, but I don't think I'd vote for him.

"Ron Paul... you know, I heard somebody say he was like insecticide - 98 percent of it's inert gases, but it's the two percent that's left that will kill you. What that means is that he'll make total sense for a while, and then he'll say something so way out that it negates everything else. I like the guy because he knows how to excite the youth of America and fill them in on some things. But when he says that we're like the Taliban... I'm sorry, Congressman Paul, but I'm nothing like the Taliban.

"Earlier in the election, I was completely oblivious as to who Rick Santorum was, but when the dude went home to be with his daughter when she was sick, that was very commendable. Also, just watching how he hasn't gotten into doing these horrible, horrible attack ads like Mitt Romney's done against Newt Gingrich, and then the volume at which Newt has gone back at Romney... You know, I think Santorum has some presidential qualities, and I'm hoping that if it does come down to it, we'll see a Republican in the White House... and that it's Rick Santorum."

27 comments sorted by best / new / date

    GrungeHippie26
    Dude trust me when i say I don't want Santorum or Gingrich or Romney, but guys its his opinion. You really need to stop freaking out over his ideals. I know you will all dislike this, but someone had to have the balls to tell you guys to quit whining. If you don't agree, then fine voice that opinion. But if you want your opinion to be respected, respect his.
    CrescentFresh
    How does Dave not support Ron Paul when his last album 'Endgame' and previous ones before have been talking about the NWO? I mean does he even know what he's singing about? I understand he has "awakened" (aka indoctrinated) to Christianity so maybe he can see appeal to the fanatical Rick Santorum, but seriously... wake the **** up Dave.
    WhoAMEye
    BigSpence wrote: What is this doing on a music site?
    Isn't Dave Mustaine in a metal band or something..?
    Spartan101400
    How his quote should read: Mustaine: "Whoops, my fans got really pissed yesterday, better say I'm sorry and retract my statements."
    Gradyogle
    I guess, that means Dave must think Africans are the cursed descendents of Cain, too. Oh, yeah, and bomb Iran. Hey, while we're at it, no gay rights. You want freedom? Not with Dave Mustain and Rick Santorum on your side, they'll make damn sure you live your life like every conservative racist thinks you should, or die. And how does Ron Paul every say anything to negate anything he's ever said before? The man follows only the constitution. State rights, sound money, control from corporations and government and back into the hands of the people, all our liberties, all our rights, all OUR minds working together, instead of the minds of the 400 richest men in the world. Are you stupid, Dave? We're trying to save the planet, you're trying to make a hit single. Shut up and stop propagating false information.
    shikkaka
    Saying you want someone to be president and "endorsing" them is hugely different. Its like telling your friend there is a job opening versus personally recommending them for it.
    WhoAMEye
    BigSpence wrote: WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: What is this doing on a music site? Isn't Dave Mustaine in a metal band or something..? Is Megadeth a political band?
    Does it matter? He is in a Guitar band, he has made comment on current affairs. This could be deemed newsworthy on a site DEDICATED TO GUITAR MUSIC!
    CaliforniaKid
    Yeah... right. Didn't endorse him but you said "I think Santorum has some presidential qualities, and I'm hoping that if it does come down to it, we'll see a Republican in the White House... and that it's Rick Santorum." Hey Dave, you obviously know very little about who these people are. Always a good idea to favor a certain candidate because he visited his sick daughter and it made you feel all warm and fuzzy instead of where they stand on social and political issues. Here's some advice... next time someone asks you a political question, respond the way Elvis did... "I'm just an entertainer". Then STFU.
    JDMoore
    Still gotta admit, "Santorum for President" sounds like a song from a Megadeth album.
    Minivirus2
    BigSpence wrote: WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: What is this doing on a music site? Isn't Dave Mustaine in a metal band or something..? Is Megadeth a political band? Does it matter? He is in a Guitar band, he has made comment on current affairs. This could be deemed newsworthy on a site DEDICATED TO GUITAR MUSIC! Oh, I see. You're one of those people. My apologies for trying to argue with you.
    Why the **** is an article about Courtney Love killing here daughters pets on this site? It's just the way it is and it is a news column after all.
    Metalfan20
    CrescentFresh wrote: How does Dave not support Ron Paul when his last album 'Endgame' and previous ones before have been talking about the NWO? I mean does he even know what he's singing about? I understand he has "awakened" (aka indoctrinated) to Christianity so maybe he can see appeal to the fanatical Rick Santorum, but seriously... wake the **** up Dave.
    I thought that too between United Abominations and Endgame, I could see Dave supporting Ron Paul. Ron Paul is one of the few candidates who said he would keep us out of other peoples affairs and that he'd have us leave the UN.
    Downfault
    I keep thinking everytime I hear Ron Paul that they are talking about that drag queen Rue Paul.
    sgwizard92
    Gradyogle wrote: I guess, that means Dave must think Africans are the cursed descendents of Cain, too. Oh, yeah, and bomb Iran. Hey, while we're at it, no gay rights. You want freedom? Not with Dave Mustain and Rick Santorum on your side, they'll make damn sure you live your life like every conservative racist thinks you should, or die. And how does Ron Paul every say anything to negate anything he's ever said before? The man follows only the constitution. State rights, sound money, control from corporations and government and back into the hands of the people, all our liberties, all our rights, all OUR minds working together, instead of the minds of the 400 richest men in the world. Are you stupid, Dave? We're trying to save the planet, you're trying to make a hit single. Shut up and stop propagating false information.
    I know a few "racist conservatives" that are ten times the man you are. Fortunately, I'm a ***** so I have no problems telling you how big of a douchebag you sound like. Try actually getting to know people before opening your mouth and accusing others of giving false information.
    BigSpence
    WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: What is this doing on a music site? Isn't Dave Mustaine in a metal band or something..?
    Is Megadeth a political band?
    BigSpence
    WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: WhoAMEye wrote: BigSpence wrote: What is this doing on a music site? Isn't Dave Mustaine in a metal band or something..? Is Megadeth a political band? Does it matter? He is in a Guitar band, he has made comment on current affairs. This could be deemed newsworthy on a site DEDICATED TO GUITAR MUSIC!
    Oh, I see. You're one of those people. My apologies for trying to argue with you.
    SlackusMaximus
    Dave writes all those songs about being anti-establishment, the NWO, international bankers and then goes and endorses an establishment candidate!! Then he retracts his statement just like I knew he would. After 16 years of following him and the band, this is the first time my respect for him diminished! FUCK YOU DAVE!
    WelshKes
    GrungeHippie26 wrote: Dude trust me when i say I don't want Santorum or Gingrich or Romney, but guys its his opinion. You really need to stop freaking out over his ideals. I know you will all dislike this, but someone had to have the balls to tell you guys to quit whining. If you don't agree, then fine voice that opinion. But if you want your opinion to be respected, respect his.
    Couldn't put it better myself I fully agree with you 110%
    gamenerd323
    this is so weird. if im not mistaken Dave Mustaine actually HOSTED the democratic national convention on tv once.
    WGFDarth
    WHY DAVE WHY I believed in you... and to find out you support the Republican party... please man... I thought you were cool... Don't tell me you also support SOPA... Damn you Dave and you're brilliant music playing skills. Let's just stick to music for a while longer, okay buddy?
    StApathy
    And to think I once called this man an inspiration... you want Santorum in office, Dave? A more sophisticated way to end up dead? Fuck, maybe it really IS time to see about Norwegian citizenship.