Dave Mustaine Talks Metallica And Christianity

Megadeth main man Dave Mustaine has been talking about his relationship with Metallica and making musical decisions since finding Christianity.

Dave Mustaine Talks Metallica And Christianity
8
Megadeth main man Dave Mustaine has been talking about his relationship with Metallica and making musical decisions since finding Christianity. According to Blabbermouth, he has been forced to re-consider the subject matter of some songs. "It's what the subject matter's about. I've been struggling with that. For example, 'Anarchy In The U.K.' is a song I really don't like playing because it starts off and says 'I am an Antichrist'. Well, I'm not an antichrist. Not only am I not it, I don't want to be it. I won't even be one of them." "And as far as 'The Conjuring'... it actually has the components of a hex in it and when I wrote the song it was cool and it was vogue to be into black magic and the dark side and stuff like that - so it was really cool to have lines from a hex in it. But looking back now - being a dad, being a responsible person, being a musician who has influenced a lot of lives very positively - I look at it and think, 'I don't know if I would play that live'". Mustaine also talked about his friendship with Metallica's Lars Ulrich who wrote liner notes for Mustaine's "Peace Sells" re-issue. "I was really touched. See, it just goes to show you that the relationship that Lars and I really have had over the years was private, and people really did not know what it was about." Thanks for the report to Andrew Vaughan, Gibson.com.

177 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    garret718
    jurnag12 wrote: Ya know Dave, you're right. If this is what you want, do it. It's your music. Although personally I prefer Tom Araya's approach, who despite being quite a religious person, puts his beiefs aside if it's a good song.
    That's definitely backwards, I agree with Dave
    bluntzilla2010
    Well **** you Dave, I'll still masturbate furiously to The Conjuring while committing my daily Satanist baby-murdering ritual whether you like it or not!
    Koop4404
    bluntzilla2010 wrote: Well **** you Dave, I'll still masturbate furiously to The Conjuring while committing my daily Satanist baby-murdering ritual whether you like it or not!
    Can I join? I do enjoy those activities of which you speak
    k3v1n shr3dz
    grantjames wrote: Aww. It's cute that he has an imaginary friend that wont let him play some of his songs.
    WIN!!!!!
    Suav Nitebeest
    So following that logic he shouldn't be playing "I Ain't Superstitious" either. (For the record, I'm a fan...)
    Lateralus13
    'Dave Mustaine talks metallica and christianity' Thats about as newsworthy as 'the sun rose today'. What else does this guy talk about?
    Snake™
    Just because it contains those lyrics doesn't mean you can't play it and sing it, look at your fellow thrasher Araya. Duh! Silly Mustaine!
    Danilo#7
    Furthermore, I believe in possibility. It's possible that there is a god and it is also a possibility that there is not a god...or maybe there are many for that matter. The fact is, no one knows for sure. I feel that if you live your life as a good person, help people out when you can, and don't deliberately harm others things will work out in the end...And if they don't work out, well, I don't want to be on that team anyways.
    exactly! why would I care if there is a God or not?! I am just myself, for my own reasons, I really don't need an excuse for doing what I think is the correct thing to do. Neither do I need an excuse to wanna remain hopeful and strong when in bad times! I am just myself, if someone is gonna judge me or not when I am over, I don't care. only bothers me people who are extremists. extremists to any of the sides of the argue. Extremist atheits and extremist religious person (any religion) are all nothing but close minded people who can't contribute anything cuz they are too confortable with that position. Confort kills reason. And I don't care if you have some belief or not, reason is still something you need to have.
    damillion
    Colter wrote: Science flys us to the moon, religion flys us into buildings Pretty sure Science flew a megaton atom bomb into Hiroshima and Nagasaki.[/quote] I'm so sick and tired of hearing this. Science is what enabled us to make the atom bomb, just like it enabled you to even write this comment on the internet or just like it raised your life time expectancy from about 25 years to over 75 years. Science can only provide us with the ideas. How we choose to use them and what we use them for isn't any of sciences business. You're the kind of person who would have us shoot the messenger.
    buddoggydogg
    jurnag12 wrote: BigMikeBDD wrote: Amazing how fast self proclaimed "atheists" jump to bash anyone who believes in God hoping others will join in. What's amazing is i've known several "atheists" who have passed and spent their last moments praying to that "imaginary friend" you speak of. Think before you open your mouths and judge. I'm an atheist, and I never really feel the urge to deny the existence of god if someone wants to believe in him. Something more Atheists should remember is that while people may believe in God while you don't, it shouldn't be a reason to bash them. If it's what works for them in life, then so be it, leave them to it.
    I think this is the most grown up approach to the atheist/theist debate I've ever heard. While I'm still on the fences of what I do and do not believe I don't think it right to bash either side. As for what Dave won't play anymore, I really couldn't care less because I don't care much for Megadeth anyways.
    audio475
    Jazz1992 wrote: Kevin19 wrote: To all those bashing him, just respect his beliefs as you would want others to respect yours. I mean, really. I respect his, as well as everybody's beliefs, but what really bothers me is that ever since he turned to Christianity he cannot open his ****ing mouth without saying something about God, religion, and stuff like that. I mean, does he have to explain himself to anyone, prove his faith is strong enough? Jesus Christ... And Metallica. Dave, you got your ass kicked from that band long ago, stop talking about them every day, you've got your own band to talk about. Btw, now that I think about it, does he ever actually talk about topics other than those two? Oh yeah, he once said the US is "sprinting towards socialism", or something like that. And to think that's the man who wrote so many politically themed songs...fail. A miserable fail. Sorry for the lengthy post, I just had to throw all this crap out of me, if you know what I'm saying
    i love how everyone bashes him for answering a question from a reporter! This might stop coming up if the people interviewing him would stop asking the same god damn question.
    Draconis93
    Dear Dave Mustaine, they are songs, and should only be considered as such. You are in an industry built entirely around entertaining people, and how do you think we feel when you decide to be all spiritual and not give us what we, the fans want? What the hell do you think got our attention about you in the first place? Your religion? Or your music?
    b_flo
    What a lot of people forget are that a lot of bands are just regular people off stage. Especially when they have family around. Those reality shows, you see on TV, are misguiding. A lot of these guys are actually shy, or keep to themselves, off stage. Once they set foot onstage, they are a different person. There's one very famous controversial individual (won't mention names), who was grossed out when he got his 1st set of piercings...gagged and almost passed out. He's known for a lot of vulgarity. But you won't see that on TV! So it doesn't surprise me with any of these artists.
    jurnag12
    b_flo wrote:What a lot of people forget are that a lot of bands are just regular people off stage.
    SOYLENT BAND IS PEOPLE!
    garret718
    If there is a God don't you ever wonder what he's like and why he made you?
    Chronologo
    007dude wrote: Gregray88 wrote: lololololol the world started 14 billion years ago via a mass explosion of matter, get used to it It's just a model/theory. There are still plenty of problems with it.
    Ask Sheldon Cooper, he will explain it better
    Chronologo
    Danilo#7 wrote: Furthermore, I believe in possibility. It's possible that there is a god and it is also a possibility that there is not a god...or maybe there are many for that matter. The fact is, no one knows for sure. I feel that if you live your life as a good person, help people out when you can, and don't deliberately harm others things will work out in the end...And if they don't work out, well, I don't want to be on that team anyways. exactly! why would I care if there is a God or not?! I am just myself, for my own reasons, I really don't need an excuse for doing what I think is the correct thing to do. Neither do I need an excuse to wanna remain hopeful and strong when in bad times! I am just myself, if someone is gonna judge me or not when I am over, I don't care. only bothers me people who are extremists. extremists to any of the sides of the argue. Extremist atheits and extremist religious person (any religion) are all nothing but close minded people who can't contribute anything cuz they are too confortable with that position. Confort kills reason. And I don't care if you have some belief or not, reason is still something you need to have.
    This is exactly the way I think, maybe there's a god maybe not, I just do my life.
    espChris93
    jackdude500 wrote: why would he play anarchy in the uk anyway hes a member of metallica not the sex pistols last time i checked
    No, he's a member of Megadeth... who covered the song Anarchy In The UK... badly... which wasn't good in the first place
    espChris93
    Funny, if this was James or Lars or Kirk saying something about religion and not wanting to sing songs because of religious conflicts or feeling like a pussy there would be a lot of sh*t throwing and bashing.
    GrungeHippie26
    Kevin19 wrote: To all those bashing him, just respect his beliefs as you would want others to respect yours. I mean, really.
    thank you, i was begining to think everyone here was a selfish jerk who only cared about themselves. These musicians tour constantly to please us the fans, and we are here making fun of him. Way to support the band.
    Sign of War
    i swear the only things mustaine ever talks about is metallica and religion, i mean i'm glad that religion has helped him get his stuff together but he's became a bit boring now, though still one of the greatist guitar players ever
    GrungeHippie26
    coheed_kyle08 wrote: Colter wrote: Science flys us to the moon, religion flys us into buildings Pretty sure Science flew a megaton atom bomb into Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    OWNAGE!!!! hahaha man way to shut up these fools who think they know everything!
    jkubed
    deluded_reality wrote: I think it speaks volumes about his faith if he's not okay with singing some lyrics about black magic. It's just a song. Saying you are an antichrist doesn't make you one. I'm an atheist and I respect that he's a Christian. He has the right to practice any religion he wishes. But don't let that get in the way of entertainment.
    You got it backwards. He can and should be in entertainment, but he can't let it get in the way of his Christianity. I think that this is pretty much his thinking and I agree with it.
    Rattlehead2
    Whatever Dave, if you don't want to play The Conjuring anymore, I will. "Welcome to out sanguinary sect of worship. Feel at home in our black conventicle, As we anathematise, All of those who oppose us. Don't summon the devil, Don't call the priests, If you need the strength, The conjuring... Obey!"
    VH84
    Ok, I'm catholic, and I love Megadeth. I understand you Dave, but dammit, "The Conjuring" is one of the greatest heavy metal songs of all time! OF ALL TIME!
    coheed_kyle08
    Colter wrote: Science flys us to the moon, religion flys us into buildings
    Pretty sure Science flew a megaton atom bomb into Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    strat0blaster
    Megadeth main man Dave Mustaine has been talking about his relationship with Metallica and making musical decisions since finding Christianity.
    Again? Is anyone still interested?
    jrandmb
    zomgguitarz1234 wrote: Lot of bigotry here. Also **** the conjuring, play good mourning/black friday.
    + 100000 I absolutely love that song, I now love you as well.
    RichD
    coheed_kyle08 wrote: Colter wrote: Science flys us to the moon, religion flys us into buildings Pretty sure Science flew a megaton atom bomb into Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Yeah, science did and your all loving gods and saviours just sat back and watched, whilst he could have stopped it. He also created all other virus's, parasites, bactaria's that have killed millions more people than 1 or 2 nukes, and at least science actually tries to stop him by finding cures
    Metalxorxdie
    atheist is an synonym for arrogant, judgmental, and idiotic....sorry to those who think they are "too good" to even respect Christians or any religion for that matter....Dave isnt going to preach about God in his songs so quit whining, he's just stating how he feels when it comes to certain songs...get over yourselves really
    imspazzen
    It's a ****ing song! I'm an Atheist yet I sing along to Neal Morse tracks like I'm preaching to a Sunday mass. Singing a few words isn't going to lose your faith.
    Shadow914
    Bati wrote: On another news, Megadeath will never again cover "No More Mr. Nice Guy". Dave Mustained explained: "Well, I'm a nice guy. Not only am I one, I really don't want to stop being one. I won't even be one of them [non-nice guys]".
    LMFAO Epic!!
    WheredMyRockGo?
    BigMikeBDD wrote: Amazing how fast self proclaimed "atheists" jump to bash anyone who believes in God hoping others will join in. What's amazing is i've known several "atheists" who have passed and spent their last moments praying to that "imaginary friend" you speak of. Think before you open your mouths and judge.
    I'm not an atheist but if anyone thinks this guy hasnt lost his mind than they are equally as crazy. The dude found religion to kick a drug habit and now he's addicted to religion(and in my opinion is taking it over the top).
    Wisthler
    I guess this has been the shortest new related to Mustaine and Metallica. Seems that the Big Four tours completly owned those who used to live from Megadeth vs Metallica topics and similar stuff.
    Fleur de Lys
    coheed_kyle08 wrote: Colter wrote: Science flys us to the moon, religion flys us into buildings Pretty sure Science flew a megaton atom bomb into Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Win.
    Zeppelin Addict
    GrungeHippie26 wrote: OWNAGE!!!! hahaha man way to shut up these fools who think they know everything!
    Way to be the obnoxious bystander who jumps in and kicks at people when they're down. I almost had respect for you for your previous post to.. On topic: Lame article, heard it all before, not really news... Just let Dave do what he's got to do. *Leaves to play guitar.*
    playinbass1432
    ""I was really touched. See, it just goes to show you that the relationship that Lars and I really have had over the years was private, and people really did not know what it was about." lololol
    Henkdemachtige
    bevski208 wrote: Why is it that every metal story ends up with people arguing about whether or not God exists? If you really love Megadeth, you'll respect Dave's choice, and his religious beliefs won't have an impact on your opinion of the band. Also, why do atheists constantly try to put religious people down? At least Christians and other religions have a good reason to try and convince atheists that there is a God: they're trying to save them. Atheists don't have a good reason to stop religious people believing in God. So stop trying to put them down and just appreciate the music, and stop turning EVERYTHING into a religious debate!
    So wait, you say atheist have to **** off from religious people, but religious people are allowed to shove their shit down atheists throats...and... you also say stop religious debates. what the **** do you want.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    Redsoldier92 wrote: I've got no problem with him being a Christian and all that, but surely it's a bit extreme to not be playing certain songs due to a perceived conflict in lyrical content with his beliefs? After all, it is still art and musical expression at the end of the day, which is separate to faith IMO
    exactly. music is not serious business!
    nimrod_hahahaha
    it's brilliant to see everyone wading in and totally disrespecting another artist because of their personal beliefs. well done guys, really well done. of course, if it was the other way round and he'd come out as a satanist or any other more 'metal' philosophy he'd be getting the devil horns and mad respect. C0z t3H D3V1l iZ lyk, K3wl
    Gibson1983
    Ali-b912 wrote: I'd respect his beliefs if he wasn't such a stereotypical "Born Again American" type character nowadays. Why doesn't he stop playing all the political shit he wrote 20 years ago, considering his political views now seem to be the opposite of what he felt back then.
    Agreed. Megadeth is on the verge of becoming the Tea Party house band.