A new compilation album paying tribute to the music of Jack White is to be released later this month.
Artists from the formative years of rock, rockabilly and punk such as Wanda Jackson and Gary U.S. Bonds have all contributed to "Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White," released on November 18. Jackson, who has covered the White Stripes' "In the Cold, Cold Night" for the album, previously worked with White on her 2011 solo album, "The Party Ain’t Over."
Speaking to Rolling Stone (via NME) about the album, Jackson said: "When I heard 'Cold, Cold Night' for the first time I knew it was a song that I wanted to record some day. When the opportunity came around to pay tribute to Jack on this album I thought it was the perfect opportunity to lay it down in the studio. I’m very pleased with how it turned out, and I hope Jack approves of the job we did."
A list of contributors to "Rockin' Legends Pay Tribute to Jack White" and their covers can be seen below.
1) Big Jay McNeely and Nik Turner – "I'm Shakin'"
2) Gary U.S. Bonds – "Salute Your Solution"
3) Sonny Burgess and the Legendary Pacers – "Steady as She Goes"
3) Joe Clay and Cranston Clements – "Trash Tongue Talker"
5) Robert Gordon and Chris Spedding – "Another Way to Die"
6) Knox, Walter Lure and W.S. "Fluke" Holland – "Seven Nation Army"
7) Johnny Powers – "Fly Farm Blues"
8) Bobby Vee – "We're Going to Be Friends"
9) Rosie Flores – "Blunderbuss" 10) The Dirt Daubers – "Fell in Love With a Girl" 11) Rejected Youth Nation feat. Cyril Neville – "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)" 12) The Denver Broncos U.K. – "Top Yourself" 13) Los Straightjackets – "Icky Thump" White is currently working on new songs with his band the Dead Weather, a tweet from his Third Man Records label revealed in August. The band are holed up in the Third Man studio in Nashville working on the album.