Dethklok: No 15 At Billboard Top 200

Dethklok have exploded onto the Billboard Top 200 again with the release of "Dethalbum II ", selling nearly 45,000 copies in its first week.

Dethklok: No 15 At Billboard Top 200
0
Heavy metal juggernauts Dethklok have exploded onto the Billboard Top 200 again with the release of "Dethalbum II", selling nearly 45,000 copies in its first week. The ferocious new record from the stars of the Adult Swim series Metalocalypse debuted at #15 on the Billboard Top 200 six spots higher then their debut album "Dethalbum" back in 2007. Metalocalypse creator Brendon Small had this to say about the chart debut of Dethklok's "Dethalbum II": "I'm both happy and humiliated that Dethalbum 2 reached number 15. Happy because we beat the first Dethalbum numbers and humiliated to have been beaten by our second album numbers by ourselves. Either way we're still not as good as the Archies and I never want to forget that. Having said all of that, dear god I am fantastic and talented." The September 27 release of Metalocalypse: Dethklok's "Dethalbum II" coincides with the start of Season 3 of Metalocalypse on Adult Swim in November. The third season of Metalocalypse will pick up right where Season 2 left, and this season the episodes will be thirty minutes long. Be sure to pick up the record-breaking new CD, Metalocalypse: Dethklok's "The Dethalbum II", and be sure to catch Dethklok live on tour.

92 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    suggy88
    I like Dethalbum II more then the first album. Except both are amazing. still amuses me that a fake band can create such better music then the majority of real bands out there.
    xJohnxAnarchyx
    electricwizard_ wrote: RhoadsJackson71 wrote: Why don't you quit your elitist douchetry and enjoy the fun. This isn't a gimmick, he genuinely puts time and effort into the music and embraces the brutality of Death Metal by putting it over the top. People like you kill Death Metal where people like Brendan Small try to make it more accessible. That is exactly what my problem is. I have a problem with making everything accessible to the average idiot. Why does the general public like Britney Spears over Mozart? Because Britney Spears is more accessible. Why do you want to make death metal that the average person can listen to rather than encouraging the average person to exert himself intellectually and bring himself to appreciate the real thing? This only serves to encourage people who never want to exert themselves to reach higher things. They can't see what's so great about morbid angel but that's not a problem, they have their own 'mainstream' death metal that they can blast and act like idiots.
    And, dude. Mozart is VERY accessible to the general public. You can buy 4 of his cd's full of works for $10. A Death Metal CD costs something around $12. You're an idiot. Everything's extremely accessible to the general public thanks to the internet. It's whether or not people actually WANT to listen to a certain kind of music. People listen to pop music because of their mindset, and not their intellectual status. The "metal heads" at my school are all in a tech program working on cars or something. That's not being intellectual. Brendan Smalls is a very intelligent person and went to one of the most prestigious music schools on the East Coast. Everyone needs to ease into something new, especially with music. When I was younger, Manson scared me. He doesn't now. I thought his music was so heavy. It's not anymore. You know nothing about music. You just think that you're the best because you listen to Death Metal. Go blast your Cannibal Corpse box-set...like an idiot.
    EclipseNine
    thank god they're gonna do away with the fifteen minute run time. never seemed like enough. Lookin forward to half an hour of dethklok
    MotörHeadFan22
    Kelicon wrote: of the 45000 copies they sold.... i wonder how many of those people normally don't listen to metal and are completely turned off since the 2nd album is definitely not as easy to listen to for the common person I've noticed. on the other hand, yet another great album.
    really? i love metal and all that, its just the new vocals aren't what everyones used to from dethklok
    JazzNick67
    humiliated to have been beaten by our second album numbers by ourselves
    am i the only one that doesn't understand this at all? what does this mean exactly? ;-; anyway, i'm happy for him, still need to check out the album but i'm sure it'll be great.
    Ponyexpress
    insurgentsteve wrote: Life Is Brutal wrote: Having said all of that, dear god I am fantastic and talented." Humble, isn't he? I'm pretty sure he was being ironic.
    I'm pretty sure you don't know what ironic means
    AstheticsOfHate
    Haha i just listened to Black fire up us on youtube, and i was flipping through some of the comments when i came across this. "This song is too ****ing brutal. It makes me want to judo chop emos and hippies everywhere in the throat." Might have to sig that
    Amuro Jay
    Life Is Brutal wrote: Having said all of that, dear god I am fantastic and talented." Humble, isn't he?
    He's a cartoonist. A comedian of sorts. Your sarcasometer is broken, isn't it?
    DaveoftheGrove
    electricwizard_ wrote: xJohnxAnarchyx wrote: And, dude. Mozart is VERY accessible to the general public. You can buy 4 of his cd's full of works for $10. A Death Metal CD costs something around $12. You're an idiot. Everything's extremely accessible to the general public thanks to the internet. It's whether or not people actually WANT to listen to a certain kind of music. People listen to pop music because of their mindset, and not their intellectual status. The "metal heads" at my school are all in a tech program working on cars or something. That's not being intellectual. Brendan Smalls is a very intelligent person and went to one of the most prestigious music schools on the East Coast. Everyone needs to ease into something new, especially with music. When I was younger, Manson scared me. He doesn't now. I thought his music was so heavy. It's not anymore. You know nothing about music. You just think that you're the best because you listen to Death Metal. Go blast your Cannibal Corpse box-set...like an idiot. You really don't know what 'accessible' means. Something is accessible to you when you can really appreciate it. Example, Shakespeare would not normally be accessible to someone who never went to school. Not because they can't buy his works or download them from the internet, but because they can't really appreciate him.
    People like you are why people hate death metal fans. Stop flexing your e-muscles and stop trolling. As a huge fan of death metal myself, I say to you... Shut up, fool. That being said, I can't wait to hear this album. It should be pretty interesting!
    timebomb616
    if you listen to death metal just because other people, that doesn't make you original, it just makes you a prick. just sayin'
    electricwizard_
    xJohnxAnarchyx wrote: And, dude. Mozart is VERY accessible to the general public. You can buy 4 of his cd's full of works for $10. A Death Metal CD costs something around $12. You're an idiot. Everything's extremely accessible to the general public thanks to the internet. It's whether or not people actually WANT to listen to a certain kind of music. People listen to pop music because of their mindset, and not their intellectual status. The "metal heads" at my school are all in a tech program working on cars or something. That's not being intellectual. Brendan Smalls is a very intelligent person and went to one of the most prestigious music schools on the East Coast. Everyone needs to ease into something new, especially with music. When I was younger, Manson scared me. He doesn't now. I thought his music was so heavy. It's not anymore. You know nothing about music. You just think that you're the best because you listen to Death Metal. Go blast your Cannibal Corpse box-set...like an idiot.
    You really don't know what 'accessible' means. Something is accessible to you when you can really appreciate it. Example, Shakespeare would not normally be accessible to someone who never went to school. Not because they can't buy his works or download them from the internet, but because they can't really appreciate him.
    rEvilation
    ahahahaha...this is funny...jesus cant anyone like somethin for what it is....? the cartoon is funny and the music is great...what more is there in order for me people to like it? it has to be death metal? it has to be serious? ehh..funny shit
    I is be sexy
    Wow my wording is messed up... alright, anyone who cares about Dethklok enough to buy their album would know it's a parody, and know that it's not like normal death metal
    I is be sexy
    zink10192 wrote: Personally, i like Dethklok, but the only complaint i have with them making 15 on the chart is that this is the only metal people will be experiencing, and since they are a parody band pretty much, it gives real metal bands a bad name because people that only listen to dethklok assume all metal is a joke...
    But they know it's a joke...
    zink10192
    Personally, i like Dethklok, but the only complaint i have with them making 15 on the chart is that this is the only metal people will be experiencing, and since they are a parody band pretty much, it gives real metal bands a bad name because people that only listen to dethklok assume all metal is a joke...
    Bigpooh88
    This whole conversation about Dethklok being death metal was actually made fun of in a episode when Toki was called a sell out at his favorite record store.
    Geo.~
    Is it possible that they are no15 because the majority of fans are "true metal" fans rather than mainstream ones? Just a thought!
    kyngofhearts
    blizzboy wrote: KJKINFLAMES wrote: suggy88 wrote: I like Dethalbum II more then the first album. Except both are amazing. still amuses me that a fake band can create such better music then the majority of real bands out there. fake band??? in case you dident know dethklok is a band that tours and there touring with mastadon i believe Dethklok wasn't originally a real band, it was created by one man with an idea. And still, the music is generally composed by one person, and the rest just play it.
    do you know HOW MANY bands have their music all composed by one person?
    cotton3434
    Seref wrote: Meh. Nevermind. No point arguing with someone who's convinced his genre's being insulted by a cartoon.
    Best comment ever. ...on this page, at least.
    electricwizard_
    soadguitarfan wrote: You're a dumbass. Don't put false claims into what was a very clear and rational argument. He's noting on the relevance of any artist, be it Avril or Green Day or whatever death metal band you like, the point is that we all listen to different music and alot of the stuff you consider "intellectual" wouldn't exist without some of the biggest mainstream bands/artists on the planet. And as long as one person likes Avril or Green Day, they have equal validity to be on the music scene. Prick.
    Please explain to me how is it that a lot of the stuff that I like wouldn't exist if it weren't for the mainstream? And by the way, my only objection was to this piece of entertainment junk being called death metal. Besides that, I couldn't care less for this cartoon and its makers.
    Awokmyweewok
    I love how people use the reason "it's a cartoon" for it being bad music. Dethklok writes awesome Melodic Death Metal.
    DeathAndMyDecay
    electricwizard_ wrote: RhoadsJackson71 wrote: Why don't you quit your elitist douchetry and enjoy the fun. This isn't a gimmick, he genuinely puts time and effort into the music and embraces the brutality of Death Metal by putting it over the top. People like you kill Death Metal where people like Brendan Small try to make it more accessible. That is exactly what my problem is. I have a problem with making everything accessible to the average idiot. Why does the general public like Britney Spears over Mozart? Because Britney Spears is more accessible. Why do you want to make death metal that the average person can listen to rather than encouraging the average person to exert himself intellectually and bring himself to appreciate the real thing? This only serves to encourage people who never want to exert themselves to reach higher things. They can't see what's so great about morbid angel but that's not a problem, they have their own 'mainstream' death metal that they can blast and act like idiots.
    I enjoy Morbid Angel...I prefer Dethklok though...does that make me "mainstream" because Dethklok is more successful than Morbid Angel? If you really took the time to listen to the cd then you would see that the dude really means business with his music. The cartoon doesn't have anything to do with the music in my opinion. Those riffs are epic...
    Andrewdmfc
    i tabbed out the comet song, my only problem with the album was he took out the cool tremelo part in symmetry.
    fr33t0m
    I love the show but his music is just too generic to really get in to.
    psyo
    As I see it, true metalheads dont like this because its popular for the wrong reasons. It isn't easy to write out this isn't good because it is mainstream because there are too many exceptions - many 'true' metal bands see billboard charts. Plus 'trueness' (ughh lol) is definitely subjective. IMO there's a metal ethic that serious fans (aka who everybody else will call a douche elitist) admire, its related to everything from the artists intentions, sincerity, foundings, how interesting/innovative their music is etc. The best analogy of this not being admired I could make would be the really hardcore punks from 30 years ago or whatever, and pop music today that somehow has earned itself the pop-punk tag - they're entirely dissimilar. There's also the fact this is a TV show, and they obviusly are attracting fans who arent going to become really into the metal genre/way. I wonder why we all fight over these things, they really are unimportant in the perspective... *floats away in deep philosophic thought*
    Cheesepuff
    oh god... a fake death metal band gets more money and fame than every other real death metal band out there... this is like the gorillaz but cool...
    san21893
    wait isnt dethklok melodic death metal? who cares death metal is right in the name
    xHellbound
    You guys are putting way too much thought into this. I watch the show because it's funny and I listen to the music because it's great. What more is there to discuss? It's m-e-t-a-l, enough of the sub genres. Sometimes simple is better.
    rlheart
    MrWeenie wrote: all of these comments confirm my theory that the majority of internet users are incredibly unintelligent and have no idea what they are talking about.
    lol same here.
    lolmnt
    I said calm down. ZeG said calm down. Seriously calm down. Warnings will be issued for over the line comments. Checked.
    Second Rate
    Seref wrote: electricwizard_ wrote: That is exactly what my problem is. I have a problem with making everything accessible to the average idiot. Why does the general public like Britney Spears over Mozart? The problem with that comparison is that your comparing one talented person to one completely untalented person. You might dislike Dethklok/Metalocalypse for whatever reason, but Brendon Small makes good music. That's enough for some people.
    Brendon Small makes music as bland and generic as the crappy cartoons he produces and as bland as the painfully generic bands he is trying to parody. How people find either of the cartoons this man has been involved with humorous is beyond me. The characters are whiny and insufferably stupid and the animation and artwork are of the level you would expect from some crummy amateur internet cartoon. Brendon Small makes good music the same way McDonald's makes gourmet cuisine.
    HavokStrife
    "Having said all of that, dear god I am fantastic and talented." Well stated. He may be the only person in music right now that deserves an ego. Wonder how good real bands feel knowing a cartoon band makes way better music than they do.
    Mellowe
    electricwizard_ wrote: Death metal at 15 on top charts? Are you really stupid enough to not realize this can't be metal? Death metal has been around for over two decades and it's not for everyone to listen to. If it was people would have found out about it before this idiot cartoon came out. This band is a gimmick. Congratulations on finally killing off death metal too. Enjoy your stupid cartoon.
    Wow buddy calm down. It has been around for decades and I'm happy for it to finally be noticed like this. Hopefully this influences other bands that are trying to become one with the death metal genre and make it big to overcome the stupidities of 'power' pop that's going around now-a-days.
    Awokmyweewok
    electricwizard_ wrote: Seref wrote: The problem with that comparison is that your comparing one talented person to one completely untalented person. You might dislike Dethklok/Metalocalypse for whatever reason, but Brendon Small makes good music. That's enough for some people. Are you saying that lack of talent sells? Because that is exactly what I think is wrong with the mainstream. And Brendon Small makes good music? Says who? The same mainstream charts that say Britney Spears makes good music.
    I don't give a shit what number it is on the billboards. It's good music. People need to stop worrying about "oh, that's on the billboard, which means it's mainstream, which means it's poser metal" Just because something is popular doesn't mean it sucks. Granted, a lot of popular music is crap, but don't immediately dismiss something just because it's number 15 on the billboard, because if you do, you're as superficial as the artists you claim to hate.
    BLUEkerl
    electricwizard_ wrote: Death metal at 15 on top charts? Are you really stupid enough to not realize this can't be metal? Death metal has been around for over two decades and it's not for everyone to listen to. If it was people would have found out about it before this idiot cartoon came out. This band is a gimmick. Congratulations on finally killing off death metal too. Enjoy your stupid cartoon. Why don't you quit your elitist douchetry and enjoy the fun. This isn't a gimmick, he genuinely puts time and effort into the music and embraces the brutality of Death Metal by putting it over the top. People like you kill Death Metal where people like Brendan Small try to make it more accessible.
    it's been around for longer than two decades.
    Rengori
    j_link13 wrote: Trying to make death metal more accesible? I listen to death metal because other people don't, maybe that makes me an elitist douchebag. No death metal fans want to see any death metal band sitting at number 15 of the billboard.
    In that case you should stay the hell away from Europe, that stuff charts pretty nicely over there all the time.
    RequiemofDemons
    haha awesome one of the few cartoons I watch that makes me crack up. Definitely buying the CD \m/
    MrWeenie
    all of these comments confirm my theory that the majority of internet users are incredibly unintelligent and have no idea what they are talking about.
    AreWeNotMen?
    The problem here seems to stem from the inability to separate the genres of death metal and deth metal. Keep trying kids, you'll get there.
    TheJudasKiss
    slashnskate wrote: God I want this album so bad is it worth getting of iTunes or no?
    Definitely, its a great album. Brendon Small is genius.