Drowning Pool Respond To Arizona Shooting Link With Their Song 'Bodies'

Drowning Pool have responded to the media linking their 2001 song 'Bodies' with the man who is charged with carrying out shootings in Arizona.

Drowning Pool Respond To Arizona Shooting Link With Their Song 'Bodies'
92
Drowning Pool have responded to the media linking their 2001 song "Bodies" with the man who is charged with carrying out shootings in Arizona on Saturday (January 8). Jared Loughner, 22, was apprehended afer six people were shot dead at the incident in Tucson. US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was also fired at in the incident and is in a critical condition in hospital. The shooter had an unofficial video featuring "Bodies" playing in the background while a masked man burns the American flag listed as a favourite on his YouTube channel, leading some media commentators to speculate over whether the killer was influenced by the song. In the statement, posted online at Drowningpool.com, the band said: "We were devastated this weekend to learn of the tragic events that occurred in Arizona and that our music has been misinterpreted. 'Bodies' was written about the brotherhood of the moshpit and was never about violence." The band add that they believe "someone to put out a video misinterpreting a song about a moshpit as fuel for a violent act shows just how sick they really are. We support those who do what they can to keep America safe. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families of this terrible tragedy". This is not the first time Drowning Pool have been forced to defend "Bodies". The song has been used in the past as part of a method of torture used at Guantanamo Bay and has been listed as a favourite for soldiers before they engage in active duty. Thanks for the report to Nme.com.

93 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    hmcguire
    ill start the flame war by saying this: are you f***ing kidding me? it was listed as a favourite on his channel, and bodeis is like the default youtube song, it had nothing to do with the shooting. sigh, america is to quick to blame everything on the music. what if he was listening to abba? then would they be convicted? i dont think so...
    jean_genie
    Greenday389 wrote: The funny thing is that on the news they interviewed a teacher who thought he was a nut case who would crack. Why didn't she ****ing do anything? She is way more to blame than some song.
    A) Because every time this crap happens, the media paints a picture of the person being some kind of a loner, and the victims as having been adored by all. It may be true this time, but most of the time it's BS. B) Because even if the teacher really did suspect something, schoolteachers have zero power to do anything about anything, even though they get the blame for not doing anything. Exhibit A, you. You're obviously too smart or too busy to study up on local laws, but unless the student actually does something in class, all the teacher can do is tell the guidance counseller or principle, or the parent - who will blame the teacher without listening to what she has to say. This has a lot to do with why I teach college now. As far as guns go, I strongly feel that they are like carpentry or mechanical skills. Not everyone needs to own a gun or practice with it, but society in general needs them, and individuals shouldn't be afraid of using one. I own a couple rifles (a .22 for practice and a Mauser copy as my 'in case' gun) and a shotgun because we live in a society that is continually at war or under threat of war, and I want to be able to protect myself and my family in case of violent revolution or in the event of another draft. I seriously doubt it will ever happen, but it only requires a couple hours at the shooting range once or twice a month to be prepared. I don't keep ammunition in the same room as the weapons because I'm fully aware that any burgler that breaks into my home will probably be much more prepared to shoot me than I am to shoot him, and seeing me reach for my shotgun while I'm still half-asleep will definitely cement this. Even the NRA will tell you that unless you already have the gun loaded and you're awake and ready for action, any attempt to pull a gun on an armed intruder will reduce your chances of survival immensely.
    -Duncan-C- wrote: floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. "there are thousands of more instances of guns saving ppl" guns either kill or threaten, n most of the time its kill. This makes no sense due to the amount of wars and ppl who have died at guns, to argue it, say in terms of police officers having guns. Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there? In these instances guns will help you. help you go to jail for life.
    I seriously doubt that either of you are responsible gun owners, or are familiar with the United States legal system. Blowing an intruder's head off is not automatically self-defense. Nor is shooting an about-to-be-rapist an automatic indictment. Any time weapons of any sort are involved in defense, there is a moral grey area that can be created by lawyers. If you want a gun for 'self-defense', you need to be prepared to deal with this possibility.
    loganpwns
    This is just silly. Drowning Pool wrote "Bodies," like he said for the mosh pits. It gets people pumped up to have a good time. If you kill someone from listening to a song, that's your own fault, not the band's. It would be that person's fault for not having the mental stability to handle said song.
    sc247
    The headline makes this read like - after hearing about the Arizona shooting, Drowning Pool started playing Bodies.
    Greenday389
    The funny thing is that on the news they interviewed a teacher who thought he was a nut case who would crack. Why didn't she ****ing do anything? She is way more to blame than some song.
    mikeward25
    I think Eminem said it best: "They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a ****ing gun up for you and cock it too? Well if it can then the next time you assault a dude, just tell the judge it was my fault and I'll get sued!"
    ubertone
    Yeah the title is written so that it sounds like Drowning Pool heard about the shooting and were like, "Awesome!" and busted out their gear to start jamming. Hurp derp UG writers.
    thedarkblues06
    mikeward25 wrote: I think Eminem said it best: "They say music can alter moods and talk to you, but can it load a ****ing gun up for you and cock it too? Well if it can then the next time you assault a dude, just tell the judge it was my fault and I'll get sued!"
    I see your point, but Eminem was sued several times for this (successfully or not, I can't say for sure). Which really sucks. Because he's right. Society just refuses to take the blame for anything. It's retarded.
    dudebud
    howamidriving? wrote: i think the bigger news here is that people still listen to drowning pool
    bahaha...+1
    The Necrotizer
    This is retarded, the fact that Drowning pool even had to comment is a joke. How do people just look past the fact that the vast majority of people who commit heinous crimes didn't recently listen to metal, rap or "controversial" music ? And as for the whole guns argument, if you get rid of them all no-one ****ing needs one. And as for people kill people etc, its a lot harder to kill 10 or more people with a knife etc than a firearm, so you can cram that argument up your arse. Australia has far tougher gun laws then america and you know what NRA members? our violent crime rate per resident is far far far lower than americas. I rest my case
    bryceh12321
    The blaming of this on music, guns, conservatives, liberals, Republicans, Democrats just makes you look like a total assclown.
    ridinglightning
    why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful.
    It depends on who has it. The thing is that criminals don't give a shit about gun laws or any laws for that matter- so making tougher restrictions will only put the responsible, law abiding citizen at risk
    metallica2354
    NemX162 wrote: Did you hear that the shooter also wears socks? I bet it was socks that influenced him to do this. Correlation = Causation Didn't you all know that? It's the most basic principle of modern science!
    Ha! Kudos to you my friend.
    pineaple expres
    The Necrotizer wrote: This is retarded, the fact that Drowning pool even had to comment is a joke. How do people just look past the fact that the vast majority of people who commit heinous crimes didn't recently listen to metal, rap or "controversial" music ? And as for the whole guns argument, if you get rid of them all no-one ****ing needs one. And as for people kill people etc, its a lot harder to kill 10 or more people with a knife etc than a firearm, so you can cram that argument up your arse. Australia has far tougher gun laws then america and you know what NRA members? our violent crime rate per resident is far far far lower than americas. I rest my case
    if u get rid of guns for law abiding citizens then they will b defenseless. back around the 20s or 30s in america i forget which, but alcohol used to be illegal. guess what people still got it. they'll do the same with guns and they do the same with drugs. mary jane is illegal where i live and half the kids at my school smoke it when they get home. getting rid of guns isnt gonna help at all. on topic of drowning pool. yea i think it's stupid the way the media blames video games and music. they blamed marilyn, drowning pool, linkin park, and all the others that evry1 has mentioned. they also blame violent videogames. problem being thats complete bs. video games help me relax and let out frustration. every time i watch the news i wanna blow my brains out. $10 says if sum1 had fox news favorited on their pc and then went on a killing spree the media wouldnt say anything about it.
    Skullivan
    No one said that this was linking the band to the murders, it said that the song was linked to "the man behind the shootings." This just a brilliant use of the media's choice of words. Causing a stir in social environment, such as our UG.com So every time someone mentions this story, the media gets stronger. Not saying the media is bad or anything (honestly, w/o it we wouldn't know crap)but we all need to learn how to read. I do see that it reads: "media speculation over whether the killer was influenced by the song". But that's like some random black kid at your school saying it's snowing, even though he's lying and all the other black kids believe him (even though he's lying.)If someone says something, 75% of people will believe it.
    NBarry19
    pineaple expres wrote: if u get rid of guns for law abiding citizens then they will b defenseless. back around the 20s or 30s in america i forget which, but alcohol used to be illegal. guess what people still got it. they'll do the same with guns and they do the same with drugs. mary jane is illegal where i live and half the kids at my school smoke it when they get home. getting rid of guns isnt gonna help at all. on topic of drowning pool. yea i think it's stupid the way the media blames video games and music. they blamed marilyn, drowning pool, linkin park, and all the others that evry1 has mentioned. they also blame violent videogames. problem being thats complete bs. video games help me relax and let out frustration. every time i watch the news i wanna blow my brains out. $10 says if sum1 had fox news favorited on their pc and then went on a killing spree the media wouldnt say anything about it.
    right on dude, and it's the same way at my high school. it is pretty sad the media blames stuff like this on music/video games/whatever.
    nailsarecruel
    That's as strong a link as burnouts owing their dull existence to Freebird's hypnotic refrain to "not change".
    !-twisty-!
    floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful.
    No to offend, but I cannot think of any situation I or anyone I know has been in that they would of needed a gun to save themselves...
    ReldvS
    this is not spam... check this link out. it relates to this article nothing for sale. very funny and not offensive in any way.
    floydrose09
    ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful.
    blooddrunk
    hell, i know the song is awful but i dont think id take it out on innocent people
    ghostnineone
    i see people are blaming stupid shit already, maybe theyll sue youtube for hosting his video next
    jerad2424
    Why dont we blame it on Loughner, not Drowning Pool, Sarah Palin, or the Tea Party. After all, it was the shooter that killed them. Not music or politics.
    Arby911
    strat0blaster wrote: I would've responded to the media's allegations like this : "The media must be haveing a slow news day, because when our song is in any way front page news; that is to say ahead of everything happening around the globe, they're obviously failing at their jobs." Maybe if people stopped pointing fingers, they'd actually fix the problems we, as a society, have.
    That would have been good. Mine would have been shorter tho..."F Off".
    OzZY-RuLE5!!!!!
    yes let's talk about metal being the root of all our problems. if a guy got inspired from listening to a rock n roll song to kill someone or go on a rampage. that person or people were already screwed up in the head to begin with before they even listened to song. the media has become disgusting. if my grandfather was alive still he would be disgusted with how the media has become this monster. best line i can think of to describe the media would be the nobodies. Some children died the other day We fed machines and then we prayed Puked up and down in morbid faith You should have seen the ratings that day.' that pretty much sums up what the media has become. media goes oh my god this is so god awful we can't show you this. here is a replay and another replay. america would rather someone or something then use simple logic. these kids at columbine who shot up the school wanted help and never got it. this guy is messed up the head and shot several people including gifford. it's sad really what the untited states has become.
    schirripar
    -Duncan-C- wrote: So ****ing stupid. Funny to that they pay so muxh attention to the song that happened to be the video, and not the fact that he was searching and favoriting videos of the flag being burned. Hmmmmm.... THIS. floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. "there are thousands of more instances of guns saving ppl" guns either kill or threaten, n most of the time its kill. This makes no sense due to the amount of wars and ppl who have died at guns, to argue it, say in terms of police officers having guns. Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there? In these instances guns will help you. help you go to jail for life.
    normally i dont double post.. but ill make an exception. Stronger gun restrictions are one thing (such as, tests and background checks to see who can own a gun or not) but to say that guns hold no positive purpose is absolutely ridiculous. Let me tell you something. If you own a gun, and some idiot comes into your house. And you tell him "I have a gun dont come any closer" and they keep coming at you, you have every right to blow their freakin head off. And guess what? you will not go to jail because it is in self defense. Guns that are privately owned are 99.99999% only for the assurance that if shit goes down and you need to, you can blow some psychopath's head off. It is a very small group of people (outside of texas) that publically walk around with guns.. that are not cops. An even smaller group of them use them for a crime or a murder. Stop watching the news... please... Just because the slaying in Arizona is making news doesn't mean there are thousands and thousands of people responsibly owning guns for self defense out there also. They just aren't news worthy. Smoking kills more than guns... just saying
    WyldeMan666
    jean_genie wrote: Greenday389 wrote: The funny thing is that on the news they interviewed a teacher who thought he was a nut case who would crack. Why didn't she ****ing do anything? She is way more to blame than some song. A) Because every time this crap happens, the media paints a picture of the person being some kind of a loner, and the victims as having been adored by all. It may be true this time, but most of the time it's BS. B) Because even if the teacher really did suspect something, schoolteachers have zero power to do anything about anything, even though they get the blame for not doing anything. Exhibit A, you. You're obviously too smart or too busy to study up on local laws, but unless the student actually does something in class, all the teacher can do is tell the guidance counseller or principle, or the parent - who will blame the teacher without listening to what she has to say. This has a lot to do with why I teach college now. As far as guns go, I strongly feel that they are like carpentry or mechanical skills. Not everyone needs to own a gun or practice with it, but society in general needs them, and individuals shouldn't be afraid of using one. I own a couple rifles (a .22 for practice and a Mauser copy as my 'in case' gun) and a shotgun because we live in a society that is continually at war or under threat of war, and I want to be able to protect myself and my family in case of violent revolution or in the event of another draft. I seriously doubt it will ever happen, but it only requires a couple hours at the shooting range once or twice a month to be prepared. I don't keep ammunition in the same room as the weapons because I'm fully aware that any burgler that breaks into my home will probably be much more prepared to shoot me than I am to shoot him, and seeing me reach for my shotgun while I'm still half-asleep will definitely cement this. Even the NRA will tell you that unless you already have the gun loaded and you're awake and ready for action, any attempt to pull a gun on an armed intruder will reduce your chances of survival immensely. -Duncan-C- wrote: floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. "there are thousands of more instances of guns saving ppl" guns either kill or threaten, n most of the time its kill. This makes no sense due to the amount of wars and ppl who have died at guns, to argue it, say in terms of police officers having guns. Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there? In these instances guns will help you. help you go to jail for life. I seriously doubt that either of you are responsible gun owners, or are familiar with the United States legal system. Blowing an intruder's head off is not automatically self-defense. Nor is shooting an about-to-be-rapist an automatic indictment. Any time weapons of any sort are involved in defense, there is a moral grey area that can be created by lawyers. If you want a gun for 'self-defense', you need to be prepared to deal with this possibility.
    if there in your house and you feel they have the intent to harm you you got ever right under the sun to un-load on there ass, but most of the time the sound of that pump will make em run, the point is bad guys are gonna have guns no matter what cause they dont get them legally, I damn sure im gonna be ready if they come in my house with a loaded 12-gauge you know how many break-in there have been in the part on town I live in zero you know how many people have guns....everybody
    jean_genie
    huggies1989 wrote: God dam Americans and their 'right' to bear arms, no other civilized is stupid enough to let such ridiculous notions pass into the 21st century.
    Very wrong. Some European countries still require mandatory enlistment. For the best example see The Winter War, where Finland held off about triple the amount of Soviets during WWII, mostly because almost all the Finns knew what they were doing. The US does not require enlistment. The US also TURNS DOWN more people for military service than you might think.
    huggies1989
    God dam Americans and their 'right' to bear arms, no other civilized is stupid enough to let such ridiculous notions pass into the 21st century, if its not used for hunting game it should be illegal and even so should only be allowed to be transported by vehicle to designated areas for target practice and hunting. Pepper spray, stun guns and tazers are more than effective for self defence purposes (plus they are non lethal but still extremely painful), you may spout your gibberish with made-up statistics, worse case scenarios and your 'right' to bear arms but just understand the rest of the civilized world are face-palming themselves in astonishment of your stupidity. Also Politicians should be addressing the roots of social problems and working to prevent people committing crimes, instead of blaming music and cramming people into over crowded prisons where problems are not quelled but rather amplified.
    rocker222
    schirripar wrote: -Duncan-C- wrote: So ****ing stupid. Funny to that they pay so muxh attention to the song that happened to be the video, and not the fact that he was searching and favoriting videos of the flag being burned. Hmmmmm.... THIS. floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. "there are thousands of more instances of guns saving ppl" guns either kill or threaten, n most of the time its kill. This makes no sense due to the amount of wars and ppl who have died at guns, to argue it, say in terms of police officers having guns. Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there? In these instances guns will help you. help you go to jail for life. normally i dont double post.. but ill make an exception. Stronger gun restrictions are one thing (such as, tests and background checks to see who can own a gun or not) but to say that guns hold no positive purpose is absolutely ridiculous. Let me tell you something. If you own a gun, and some idiot comes into your house. And you tell him "I have a gun dont come any closer" and they keep coming at you, you have every right to blow their freakin head off. And guess what? you will not go to jail because it is in self defense. Guns that are privately owned are 99.99999% only for the assurance that if shit goes down and you need to, you can blow some psychopath's head off. It is a very small group of people (outside of texas) that publically walk around with guns.. that are not cops. An even smaller group of them use them for a crime or a murder. Stop watching the news... please... Just because the slaying in Arizona is making news doesn't mean there are thousands and thousands of people responsibly owning guns for self defense out there also. They just aren't news worthy. Smoking kills more than guns... just saying
    ^-yup
    WyldeMan666
    I've seen drowning pool in concert many times there a very pro-america band its funny they attack this band prolly based on there imagine but they are very patriotic guys they play the hell outta uso shows and always thank the troops at every concert people need to look at who there attacking before they run there mouth on T.V. these guys love america A-Holes in the media need to STFU
    schirripar
    Please, that song was linked to September 11th also. Im sure a bunch of arab extremists were blasting Drowning Pool one day when they decided they hate America. I'm also sure Twisted Sister caused teen suicides.
    SK8nBASS wrote: ReldvS wrote: this is not spam... check this link out. it relates to this article nothing for sale. very funny and not offensive in any way.
    Ok ay, this is actually frickin hilarious. Someone give this guy a medal.
    and THISSSSS
    RUSTDOGG666
    misinterpreting a song about a moshpit as fuel for a violent act shows just how sick they really are.
    I couldn't have said it any better. Also they're dwelling on a song that was written like 10 years ago. You think they would blame it on something more current than something 10 years back.
    rushpython
    that song makes me want to punch babies in the face. >.< heard it sooooo many times.
    Swannie
    why does everyone keep blaming the republicans? I've seen the stuff that guy wrote, he was crazy left-wing.
    MidniteHaze
    This is as stupid as the Judas Priest's lawsuit for 'Better by you/me'. Music cannot influence anyones personality. You had to be drawn to the music through your personality. You cant be an overall happy/nice person and listen to black metal, (if you are, youre just weird..) you'd listen to pop or techno. I could compare it to youre sexual preference, cant change it, youre born into it.
    -Duncan-C-
    So ****ing stupid. Funny to that they pay so muxh attention to the song that happened to be the video, and not the fact that he was searching and favoriting videos of the flag being burned. Hmmmmm....
    THIS.
    floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful.
    "there are thousands of more instances of guns saving ppl" guns either kill or threaten, n most of the time its kill. This makes no sense due to the amount of wars and ppl who have died at guns, to argue it, say in terms of police officers having guns.
    Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there?
    In these instances guns will help you. help you go to jail for life.
    TheLastWord
    MidniteHaze wrote: This is as stupid as the Judas Priest's lawsuit for 'Better by you/me'. Music cannot influence anyones personality. You had to be drawn to the music through your personality. You cant be an overall happy/nice person and listen to black metal, (if you are, youre just weird..) you'd listen to pop or techno. I could compare it to youre sexual preference, cant change it, youre born into it.
    um, no. music is a preference based on taste, not personality.
    !-twisty-! wrote: floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. No to offend, but I cannot think of any situation I or anyone I know has been in that they would of needed a gun to save themselves...
    Well, I'm Jack Bauer, so i use them quite often to save myself. OT: Grow up news media
    NubMonk
    !-twisty-! wrote: floydrose09 wrote: ^ why would you ever give up the right to not own a gun? there are thousands of more instances of guns saving people. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. do you want to ban knifes next, or for that matter and sharp object, or any chemical that could be used to make homemade bombs? i mean come on guns are very helpful. No to offend, but I cannot think of any situation I or anyone I know has been in that they would of needed a gun to save themselves...
    Are you seriously that stupid? What if someone breaks in your house? Trys to kill you? What if some thug is trying to rape your girlfriend? Do you seriously think having a gun won't help you there?
    SK8nBASS
    ReldvS wrote: this is not spam... check this link out. it relates to this article nothing for sale. very funny and not offensive in any way.
    Ok ay, this is actually frickin hilarious. Someone give this guy a medal.
    Sean-Man
    OMG, why do people keep blaming music when some dumb ass decides to go on a shooting spree, blame his parents, Jesus.