'Emos' Attacked And Killed In Iraq

Iraqi teenagers with emo clothing and haircuts are being stoned to death, with one leading cleric claiming that emos are a "plague on Muslim society".

0
Iraqi teenagers wearing emo-inspired clothes and haircuts are being stoned to death, because the subculture is believed to be both gay and an expression of Satanism. According to Rolling Stone, at least 14 young people have been stoned to death by Shi'ite militants. Many have dies from skull fractures after beatings with stones and bricks. Others, including two girls, have been wounded to act as a warning. Leaflets have since been circulated with the names of 24 more youths who will be targeted if they do not change their appearance. "We strongly warn you, to all the obscene males and females, if you will not leave this filthy work within four days the punishment of God will descend upon you at the hand of the Mujahideen," said the leaflet. The attacks on 'emo' kids is the latest development in a trend where Iraqis who are gay or believed to be gay have been beaten to death over the past six weeks. Leading Iraqi clerics have condemned the attacks, despite their own claims that emos are a "plague on Muslim society". Instead, they suggest these youths should be dealt with by the law. It is not the first time emo kids have been targeted. Similar gang assaults were made in Mexico back in 2008. We couldn't be more shocked to hear of these attacks. Frankly, we're left speechless. If you live in Iraq and have been targeted, we want to hear from you. Leave a comment or contact us with your experience. Meanwhile, we hope the UG community will join us in condemning these attacks. Let's hope the world can eventually be a civilised place for anyone to live, regardless of their lifestyle.

164 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Jesus_Dean
    It's ironic how the same people who demand that we in the West accept their different religion/cultures are so quick to "KILL" someone who dares to be different in their country.
    BigSpence
    And they expect us to tolerate their beliefs? Come on. How can this region of the world be so unstable. It baffles me.
    dicky_fish
    BigSpence wrote: How can this region of the world be so unstable. It baffles me.
    My opinion on this is because that part of the world never had it's equivalent to the European Renaissance. They haven't had a cultural revolution that questions religion and the established order.
    Amuro Jay
    Good one, extremists, keep twisting your religion to promote your hateful xenophobic agenda. Meanwhile, America is laughing at you and level-headed Muslims who actually properly follow their faith have to live in shame of the image of the religion you present to the civilized world. "there shall be no compulsion in religion" You'd think these guys would have read that part of the Quran, right? Guess not.
    SiRNaThAnIeL
    That's sick. they expect us to accept them but, they cant accept difference. And its not just there. Segregation because of looks happens every where. if they are beat or not it still happens every where.
    guitar7masta
    this is terrible! and to think, these kids would have been over this phase in another year or so, and maybe would have lived a healthy live. nobody stays emo forever disgusting.
    Freaking Out
    I don't like emos myself, but stoning them to death? That's a bit extreme. Glad I don't live in a shithole like that.
    Amuro Jay
    Also, I'm fairly certain they're referring to scene kids. Scene kids =/= fans of actual emo music. There's a huge difference. I wish people would stop throwing the term emo around arbitrarily as if it was just a word to describe people who wear skinny jeans with floppy hair and listen to bands like TDWP.
    CoreysMonster
    Islam, Christianity, Judaism, I don't care which religion you practice, people who take religion too far are retarded.
    WhoAMEye
    We should invade them and tear it all down... Oh Wait. Pretty shitty all round id say
    mitchrosko
    "If you live in Iraq and have been targeted, we want to hear from you." Iraq doesn't have the internet.
    Abacus11
    Religion sure has done some "great things" for humanity huh? I think emo kids are as annoying as the next sane person but killing them because of your twisted, sick version of religion? Disgusting.
    HARTATTACK69
    A little extreme, when I see emo kids at the mall I just hold a mirror to them for a few seconds without saying anything and hope they realize how retarded they look
    Amuro Jay
    bf313 wrote: What exactly does this define as "emo"?
    Well I'm glad you asked! These extremists, UG reporters, and general members of society who don't know any better define emo as having tight pants, fringed haircuts, eyeliner, and terrible taste in music. Emo isn't a fashion style, like most people think, it's a genre of music that has existed since the mid-80s starting with bands like Rites of Spring. In the 90s more melodic bands like Cap'n Jazz came around, and twinkly bands like American Football showed up. Real emo music still exists today, and it's a vast genre indeed. It does not, however, include bands like Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance. Algernon Cadwallader, Hightide Hotel, The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die, and the recently deceased Snowing are a few obvious examples.
    bf313 wrote: This is what happens when religion and government mix, you get the "moral police" and then you lose all of your freedom. And the fact that anyone would joke about this is just sick.
    Agreed. Muslim countries should follow in Turkey's example and practice separation of church and state. inb4 someone says "separation of church and state isn't compatible with Islam". Not true.
    Amuro Jay
    Maitinin wrote: People, this has nothing to do with the religion of Islam. This has to do with the culture of Iraq. Extremists in peripheries like the ouskirts of Iraq will often use an etiquette like religion to justify moral indecency. Please don't forget that "Islam" is SUCH a versatile religion covering the entire planet and over a billion people. Sadly, different people are often stereotyped. And don't let a gang of militant extremists affect your view on the average muslim you'll meet in your own neighbourhood!
    Well said.
    spiff-corgi wrote: "Pork has tapeworms in that tickle your bumhole and make you gay."
    I laughed so hard at this.
    Amuro Jay
    spiff-corgi wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: spiff-corgi wrote: Here are some highlights from my friend who comes from Kurdistan, Iraqon't forget to make the distinction between culture and religion. He believes this stuff because he's a Muslim, which was my point. I'm not guessing this, he's told me
    Well, allow me to answer his words.
    "The problem with gays is they just **** cos they want to, it's nothing to do with having kids they're just dirty and want to have sex."
    That is nothing more than personal opinion. Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam because of a loophole. Deviant sexual activities are not allowed inside of a marriage, and no sexual activities are allowed outside of marriage. Homosexuality is effectively forbidden. I'm not defending the fact that homosexuality is forbidden, because it's not something I agree with myself, but I'm just showing that his medieval way of thinking is quite inaccurate.
    "If you have lots of sex before marriage you'll become conditioned to doing it so when you marry you'll still sleep around cos it's all you know."
    Well, think of it this way. If a man or woman can't have their sexual desires fulfilled from their spouse, they're going to go hunting for it somewhere else. And if they grew up screwing every other week because it was fun as a kid, well, they're gonna start to miss that. I mean, why do you think so many American adults are having affairs? Again, though, it's more of a cultural thing. You don't have to be Muslim to have that thought process, it's more of a moral high-horse kind of thing.
    "Pork has tapeworms in that tickle your bumhole and make you gay."
    You can get tapeworms from a lot of other meat too, can't you? That isn't even the reason pork is forbidden in Islam.
    "The ambassadors murdered after some Americans burned the Quran deserved it. The Book is more important than their lives."
    I'm just appalled that anyone could actually think that. The very least I can say is that the Quran forbids the killing of innocents and does not advocate raising a hand in combat unless it is for self defense. inb4 "kill the infidels where you see them", lrn2context No offense to your friend, but he seems to be heavily indoctrinated by all the wrong ideals himself. And that isn't a product of religion itself, it's a product of narrow-minded cultures twisting religion to control people.
    ne14t
    Aaaaaand they wonder why all the stereotypes seem to be true.
    fenderstrattele
    in this report it's about emo, but in the documentary: Global Metal they talk about how people who like hard rock and metal in general get busted over there because people there believe it's satanism. If anything they probably see this as a subculture from the west, and that's what makes them scared, because they are afraid of influence from the west.
    bf313
    What exactly does this define as "emo"? Many people complain about it but consider it to be different things. And i'm pretty sure that being a guy and having long hair is an offence in certain middle eastern countries to begin with. So this could effect not just the stereotypical "emo" kid but people who like metal and rock in general in the Middle East. They would try to silence and stop people who listen to death metal just as much as they are with these poor kids. This is what happens when religion and government mix, you get the "moral police" and then you lose all of your freedom. And the fact that anyone would joke about this is just sick.
    Amuro Jay
    hereticfive wrote: Its funny how on most other articles here on UG theyll call a band emo or make fun of them for being emo and mistreat them but when someone else does it its wrong. hypocrites
    yeah except nobody else is committing murder
    spiff-corgi
    In know a fair few Muslims, and let me tell you, you can have the nicest guy and then ask him about his views on, say, homosexuality and he comes out with the most vile stuff. Here are some highlights from my friend who comes from Kurdistan, Iraq: "The problem with gays is they just **** cos they want to, it's nothing to do with having kids they're just dirty and want to have sex." "If you have lots of sex before marriage you'll become conditioned to doing it so when you marry you'll still sleep around cos it's all you know." "Pork has tapeworms in that tickle your bumhole and make you gay." "The ambassadors murdered after some Americans burned the Quran deserved it. The Book is more important than their lives." Religion really is a plague on all intelligent life.
    Kenjamin91
    "...the punishment of God will descend upon you" And they're saying emo is an expression of Satanism? God sounds just as bad.
    spiff-corgi
    jetfuel495 wrote: spiff-corgi wrote: Here are some highlights from my friend who comes from Kurdistan, Iraqon't forget to make the distinction between culture and religion.
    He believes this stuff because he's a Muslim, which was my point. I'm not guessing this, he's told me
    Iommianity
    It's funny that everyone who goes out of their way to bash emo, after clarifying how open minded they usually are, sounds more negative than any song lyrics ever could. "I'm usually pretty open minded, but these fags with their fag music should stop acting like fags." You idiots are just as close minded and judgmental, and you speak from a place of ignorance. These Muslims generally stone people outside, but you guys throw rocks in your glass houses.
    Iommianity
    Wolfinator-x wrote: MusicMan24 wrote: This is why I despise any and every form of religionBecause you're an overgeneralizing racist?
    What the **** does that have to do with racism?
    Sacred Blood
    I am a Muslim from Pakistan and i was very shocked to read this. Its people like these that are a disgrace to the muslim world and are the real hypocrites because they lack any real knowledge of Islam and its teachings and are quick to kill and punish others but are too busy to read and understand the QURAN and educate others about it. I am a practising muslim and have very firm faith in Islam and i find this to be very sad news indeed because Islam is a religion of peace and teaches us to value human life irrespective of religion, culture, etc. The Holy Prophet(Peace Be Upon Him) even went as far as to say that even in war, if the person infront of throws down his weapons to give up and asks for mercy, then killing him is not allowed. If in a situation like that we are not allowed to take human's life then how the hell was this allowed to happen? According to our teachings, death sentence is only declared as the final punishment for someone who has commited a very heinous crime like murder, rape, etc. Non muslims are allowed to live the way they like but are not allowed to influence others with their practises for eg. non muslims can drink alcohol in their gatherings and home but not in public. Doing non muslim practises in public places can result in getting warnings and at most being jailed for a few days if they ignore the warnings. So my point is that how these people were allowed to be stoned to death is beyond me and every other educated muslim. Sadly, most people only twist the teachings of Islam for their own gains and are able to get plenty of support from the illiterate masses because they hardly know a thing about the religion and can be easily duped to do anything. To the people who think that muslims are a bunch of callous whackos who like to destroy everything and that Islam is a religion that only preaches violence, my only advise to you would be to read the HOLY QURAN. If you want to judge the Islamic beliefs, then judge whats written in the QURAN and not the actions of the self proclaimed 'true muslims'. In the end id like to say that i strongly condemn this act. Let there be peace, live and let live.
    Nameless742
    "because the subculture is believed to be both gay and an expression of Satanism. " Well it's at least a bit gay, isn't it?
    MR.LZZYHALE
    happy to see so far that all the people on this website have some compassion for the victims!! R.I.P people
    spiff-corgi
    jetfuel495 wrote: "Pork has tapeworms in that tickle your bumhole and make you gay."I laughed so hard at this.
    And he wasn't joking either...
    aig91
    Checked. I suggest that a large number of people educate themselves before posting things that make themselves look ignorant.
    silent caution
    This is suriously f-ed up... I wonder what they do to kids who have baggy jeans and listen to rap
    Kozlic
    ok seriously? this in 21st century? stoned to death? what are they gonna do next? club a mammoth to death? +1 to the emo girls being hot.
    pailoong
    Ballsweat wrote: I have a fetish for emo chicks
    Came here to say this.
    intothe
    jetfuel495 wrote: Also, I'm fairly certain they're referring to scene kids. Scene kids =/= fans of actual emo music. There's a huge difference. I wish people would stop throwing the term emo around arbitrarily as if it was just a word to describe people who wear skinny jeans with floppy hair and listen to bands like TDWP.
    Let's be real, we all know that fans of Cap'n Jazz and American Football are gay satanists.
    MRTTVD
    I am an Iraqi living in Britain and I will be visiting my relatives there next month. This stuff makes me sick, those kids are more muslim than the cowards who stoned them will ever be. My cousin likes rock and what some would consider "emo" music and it terrifies me that these sick bastards are on the hunt for kids like her (although she doesnt "dress like an emo").
    vppark2
    jetfuel495 wrote: Also, I'm fairly certain they're referring to scene kids. Scene kids =/= fans of actual emo music. There's a huge difference. I wish people would stop throwing the term emo around arbitrarily as if it was just a word to describe people who wear skinny jeans with floppy hair and listen to bands like TDWP.
    damn haha very true, and i listen to a lot of bands like TDWP, but i dnt even consider myself scene. u can call me it, and it wont bother me, but honestly i am not scene.
    Amuro Jay
    hansome21 wrote: I disagree. islam is supposed to be those things, but instead it's a religious culture of hatred, xenophobia, bigotry, and violence. It may have been a religion of peace a long time ago, but it is a religion of war now.
    Technically, the religion hasn't changed. What has changed is the mentality of the people who live in that area and how they use it in every way to justify what they do. People pop up and try to push their own agenda and base it on the religion, misinterpret some things, leave out others, and claim theocracy is the only way to go. After The Crusades, which was well after the advent of Islam, the people of the Middle East became very xenophobic. If we're going to blame their intolerance on anything, let's blame it on the fact that early Christian empires massacred Muslim cities in the Middle East in the name of their holy land. That's where the discord between the Muslim people and that of other cultures began. The religion was not rewritten. Rather, over time, it was disregarded in favor of personal feelings of revenge and retribution.
    The problem with islam, is they don't even give equal rights to women and they definately don't give rights to minorities (emo kids in this case).
    This is so incredibly false. The Arab/Middle Eastern culture may not, but that is something that has to do with their culture and those tendencies predate Islam and exist outside of it. Muslim countries may not always give women or minorities rights, but Muslim countries =/= Islam. Islam gave women rights in divorce, inheritance, and marriage centuries before Christian nations did. The Prophet's wife was also known to be heavily involved in political affairs, something that would have also been unheard of in many western nations until much later. Islam initially gave more rights to women than women in pre-Islamic Arabia and even in medieval Europe. The fact that women in Muslim countries now have much less rights than they did during the advent of Islam is not because the religion has changed. It is because cultural sentiments have once again overpowered religious teachings, and fundamentalists/extremists are the ones who are back in power. The way society behaves shouldn't dictate what their religion teaches. It should be the other way around, but it isn't. And regarding minorities, there are many examples of the Prophet himself going out of his way to protect the rights of ethnic and religious minorities living under his rule. It was even stated that if a Muslim city was attacked by an outsider, the Jews and Christians living within that city would not have to fight because the Muslim army would defend them. Again, things have changed since then. The religion hasn't, but the way people interpret and apply it has.
    and no one has the education to understand how pathetic they all are acting like sheep.
    I completely agree with this statement.
    WelshKes wrote: I agree that Islam is a problem and it is stupid that Islam will come to the West and demand to be respected but any other religion/culture in their country and there is no respect and plenty of death - there are a handful of Muslims who want change to their religion to remove the violence but these Muslims who want change are usually beaten and silenced, sometimes permanently.
    The fact that there is so much intolerance towards other faiths and cultures in predominantly Muslim societies today is directly contradictory to some of the most fundamental aspects of human rights that the Quran guarantees. In one of the first chapters of the Quran it says "There shall be no compulsion in religion", in one of the last chapters it says "For you your religion, and for me my religion". The Prophet himself was tolerant and respectful of other religions as well. More people need to get back to the roots of Islam and live by example rather than going off of what centuries of corruption has been teaching people. It isn't a matter of "changing the religion to remove the violence". It's a matter of reforming the followers to bring back the real religion and removing the hidden agenda from beneath it.
    wicked_hobbit wrote: I applaud you, jetfuel. With articles like this, overgeneralizations are abound. You made some good points. I'm a Muslim and it saddens me how messed up some of the cultures in the middle east can be. It's a beautiful religion and these extremist interpretations are almost insulting.
    Thank you.
    behind_you
    Article wrote: According to Rolling Stone, at least 14 young people have been stoned to death by Shi'ite militants.
    Jesus_Dean wrote: It's ironic how the same people who demand that we in the West accept their different religion/cultures are so quick to "KILL" someone who dares to be different in their country.
    Militants =/= The Iraqi people. Just sayin'
    Amuro Jay
    Blargaha wrote: people at its writing were savages. They believed the earth being flat and they even believed in spirits and demons.
    Early Muslim scholars actually recognized the spherical nature of the earth fairly early on and developed spherical trigonometry based on it. Europe was still afraid Columbus would fall off the edge of the world in the 15th century, nearly 700 years after the Muslim world accepted that the earth was round. I'm going to quote a Cracked article here for a second since it's easier than typing it all up myself:
    Muhammad laid out some pretty progressive rules of warfare, and medieval Muslims out-niced the Christians in battle by a landslide. Especially since Muhammad personally issued "a distinct code of conduct among Islamic warriors" that included: No killing of women, children or innocents -- these might include hermits, monks or other religious leaders who were deemed noncombatants; No wanton killing of livestock or other animals; No burning or destruction of trees and orchards; and No destruction of wells. In short, Muhammad wanted his armies to fight like freaking hippies. During the ****ing Dark Ages. And they did. But the biggest territorial gains were made after Muhammad's death, right? Maybe that was when Islam earned its bloodthirsty reputation? Not exactly. His successor codified the existing rules and made them the standard for his army. Which probably explains why the Muslim army conquering Europe "exhibited a degree of toleration which puts many Christian nations to shame," in the words of one expert. So while Christian crusaders were beheading enemies and tossing their heads like oversized hacky sacks, their Muslim counterparts had a whole honor code that led them to feed the armies of their defeated enemies. And historically, they have a hell of a track record. Science and math as we know it wouldn't even exist without Islam. The Islamic Golden Age caused a revolution in virtually every field of human thought, during which they ****ing invented algebra -- and advanced everything from geography and exploration to the arts, architecture, philosophy, urban development, medicine and health. The Muslims actually came pretty damn close to sharing all this brilliance with the truly ass-backward kingdoms of Christian Europe, since the Islamic caliphates blanketed every country they conquered with schools, libraries, public works and the most comprehensive system of social welfare on the planet. In fact, the case has been made that if the caliphates succeeded in conquering all of Europe an Italian Renaissance would have been unnecessary.
    Oh yeah, they were totally savages in the dark ages.