Fall Out Boy Members Announce Metal Side Project

The members of Every Time I Die, Anthrax and Fall Out Boy have decided to form a metal side-project.

Fall Out Boy Members Announce Metal Side Project
0
According to a report by Alternative Press, the members of Every Time I Die, Anthrax and Fall Out Boy have decided to form a metal side-project. The new band called The Damned Things will include Every Time I Die frontman Keith Buckley, guitarists Scott Ian and Rob Cagianno from Anthrax and guitarist Joe Trohman and drummer Andy Hurley from Fall Out Boy. Despite being recently announced, the new project is said to already have written more than 15 songs and have plans to record before Christmas. "We just started working on songs together and I really dug it," said Ian. "People think of Fall Out Boy and they think of Pete Wentz and Patrick. These two guys, man, they're f*cking hardcore dudes. Joe writes some amazing riffs. We have this song called "A Great Reckoning" that I swear to God, this song could be on any Thin Lizzy record. He f*cking blew my mind with this song and I just can't wait for people to hear it." Trohman also added his thoughts about the project and stated that everyone will be contributing in a different way. "Having Keith as part of the mix is insane, we all know he writes incredible lyrics but he is also a really good singer," he said. "That is showcased in Every Time I Die, but we want him to go more into singing than screaming on this project." Find out more about The Damned Things here.

171 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    thedufii
    aha ya
    bv310 wrote: Odd, although I'm glad this isn't Fall Out Boy's lead singer doing death metal.
    foo_diddles
    I listened to fall out boy when I was 13, i still feel ashamed, though i heard they were a thrash group before they sold out... This mix up seems weird and i wont even be bothered to pirate it.
    iamthedecieved
    you guys need to realize that teh guys in fallout boy met as like metalheads and a metal band and ive been waiting for the guys to go on break and see them do this...im pumped to see what they come out with. this being said i do not like fall out boy at all but ud be interested to se waht they can pull off
    synchronicityVI
    Eh, worth a fair listen, like anything else. Not too excited, but who knows. Referring to the comment some miles above this one about the close-mindedness of metalheads, the statement has some substance to it, but sometimes you manage to find someone who likes metal AND disco. or opera. or psychedelic. Metal has a rather fierce support from it's fans, but that doesn't mean they can't like something else also.
    Scourge441
    Checked. Watch the comments, guys. If you're going to downtalk any of the bands without giving a legitimate reason why you don't like them, it's going to get you a warning. Regarding the project, I'm not interested, as I like none of the bands involved.
    WhenAllIsOne
    I bet half of these ignorant kids who are judging Joe Trohman and Andy Hurley would play in a band like fall out boy for a few million dollars without second thought. And for the record, I do not like fall out boy. But I will listen to this new project, it could be kickass.
    CranberryJuice
    I'm gonna hold my comments until this stuff actually comes out, that way I won't sound like a dumbass if it's good or bad. Everyone else, blabber away..
    Unknown Fear
    I knew this was coming when they went on a hiatus, there was an interview saying how much they loved thrash.
    Force Reaver
    You guys realize that hardly anyone on here is actually bashing the band right? most of you are all like "Stop hating on the band before you listen, they all met over metal, really they are talented..... bleh bleh bleh. If you would bother reading down the lines you would see that there are far more people supporting this project then against it. So please stop posting anti-hate spam because it makes you look stupid and you are basically just repeating the same thing someone else said 3 lines up. As for the kid who posted that Lamb Of God is pop metal because their songs are radio friendly clearly doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. I have only ever heard maybe one of their songs on the radio in my entire life time so I would like to know what station your listening to. Listen to burn the priest, ashes of the wake, as the palace burns. lol easier to listen to? you have got to be joking right? By what your saying every band has to have gut churning riffs and un-understandable lyrics to be a real metal band. Go back to the troll bridge you live under and listen to Homicidal Retribution by Dying Fetus until your head explodes..... please really do it.....
    -xCaMRocKx-
    I was pretty dissapointed by Chickenfoot and Them Crooked Vultures (although to be fair I haven't listened to the whole TCV album yet). Now I have no good expectations for this, and I bet a lot of people will agree with me. HOWEVER - because no one is expecting much, this could mean that this band is actually gonna be great. Only time will tell I guess.
    MrSir4
    I hate Fall Out Boy as much as the next guy, but I see some people coming on here and saying they are loosing respect for members of Anthrax just because they are doing this project with members of Fall Out Boy. I guess it is perfectly legitimate to loose respect for somebody who decides to go outside their comfort zone every once in awhile. I did read somewhere that one of the guitarists for FOB was a huge metalhead and I have been interested in seeing him in a metal project since, apparently he isn't the only one, I am keeping this in mind in the future, considering how I am a HUGE fan of Anthrax and Everytime I Die....and also to the person who said Lamb of God is pop-metal and thinks that there is even such a genre.....what the f**k are you smokin dude?
    beau05
    Noremad wrote: PapaDelicious wrote: srsly? supergroups are the new fad now... and this looks to suck, along with chickenfoot (sorry joe) Joe shoulda known better, Chad Smith shoulda known better, even Sammy shoulda known better. Michael Anthony doesn't know better. Chickenfoot sucks! And this new "super(suck)group" is gonna suck! Supergroups are the new reality tv!! Wish they would go away!!
    supergroups are hardly a new fad. it's like everyone has been living in there mums undie draw for the past 40 years it will be interesting to see how this group turns out
    beau05
    MrSir4 wrote: and also to the person who said Lamb of God is pop-metal and thinks that there is even such a genre.....what the f**k are you smokin dude?
    pop metal is a genre
    TheLifeguard
    Bah. All this whining about selling out. Maybe they got tired of what they were doing? Maybe they were influenced by what was going on around them? How do you know what motivated them?
    Vicryl 2.0
    GenerationKILL wrote: This explains why Fall Out Boy are on an "indefinete Hiatus" the band is trying to get some proper credibility back. Im sure this "side project" will be great if not the least interesting. The quality of the guitar work will at least be good, as for the drummer, i know hes gonna sound sick, just because you train all your life as a solid drummer and end up pulling duties in fall out boy doesn't mean you've lost your skills. As for the "thin lizzy" comments, the band should listen to some of Vancouvers' own "Pride Tiger" They could take some good pointers on how to sound like Thin Lizzy from them!!!
    nah, listening to Anthrax is already a good pointers imo..hehe
    valnir230
    this is.... suprisingly interesting, and I don't care much for FOB. However I'll wait on buying this one untill a couple reviews are out. It is a little too odd to just jump right into.
    CSguitarvocal
    savory_softy wrote: SilverSpurs616 wrote: CSguitarvocal wrote: Josher.K wrote: fall out boy does metal this will be such an odd change. it better not be some metal/pop hybrid What? You mean like Lamb of God? ...what? I'm confused by this too. Indeed, me thinks someone has mixed up the concepts of being well known due to hard-work and talent as opposed to being popular (because being 'well known' and being 'popular' are two very separate notions) due to commercial viability (which L.o.G has none of, most laymen think my L.o.G t-shirts are either a statement of my faith or some random slogan).
    No, actually. I didn't get anything messed up. I definitely believe Lamb of God is pop metal, along with other bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Mudvayne, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, ect. ect. Oh Em Gee, did he just catagorize all those bands together?? Yes I did. I honestly don't care if you love or hate any of them, but the fact is they're all pop metal. Compare any of them to the likes of Whitechapel, Immolation, Necrophagist, or Naglfar. (And please remember, I'm leaving all sub-genre's of metal out of this, simply in attempt of making a point.) Are those bands talented? Yes. Well-known? Yes. But simply because they're all labeled as 'Radio Friendly' music and it's MUCH easier listening to than the second group of metal bands listed, which in turn is why I refer to it as pop-metal. Doesn't have anything to do with the band as I listen to everything I just listed. It just happens to be a personal view. As for the actual band, I'll reserve my judgment. I listen to a few songs from every band that this is composed of and it sounds like it'll be interesting to say the least.
    dazmanrok92
    i'm intrigued, but i'll have to listen first before i judge. hurley's a good drummer, and i love scott ian. so let's see where this goes.
    barden1069
    bloodandthunder wrote: suggy88 wrote: This will destroy any of those "supergroups" easily. So excited for this grouping. they wont have anything on them crooked vultures
    Agreed
    lazy town
    Tyler Durden wrote: Anthrax and FOB?? what the EFF??? whats next, Dimmu Borgir and The Jonas Brothers side project????
    that wasnt funny..
    g_tab_man
    gravensuicide wrote: This might be kind of cool. and about the whole supergroup stuff, heres my two-cents: Im not really bothered by super groups, to me, they are just new bands made up of guys previously in a professional band. Now here is why i look at it different: Bands are 95% of the time made up by FRIENDS! "Famous" people are usually friends with other "famous" people. Also, they ahve been in their own band for years(sometimes decades) and are getting tired of it, so they go to their "famous friends" and start a band. Their professional status is the only difference between them and dudes starting in a garage
    +1. couldn't agree more.
    k90728
    imsimon wrote: www.myspace.com/burningempiresmilwaukee, That's Andy's hardcore band, the drumming sounds like he'd be up to the task! This will be officially awesome!
    Lol the drumming is amazing on that song. Im not really a fan of anthrax or FOB and espec that other band. I love thrash metal though just not anthrax xcept that rap song they did and 2 more lol. I will hear it cuz i like metal-cant wait
    overkill127
    ...i thought it was a prank at first but you never know..i look want to seeing how this turns out
    Msu_Man04
    God, so many of you FOB haters are fu cking idiots. You're so closed minded. Just because Joe and Andy [who are BARELY in FOB's writing process at all and both listen to some pretty heavy stuff] are in it, you say you won't even touch it. You won't even try. And I guarantee most of you who say this have NEVER heard more than two or three FOB songs. And you probably didn't even listen to the entirety of THOSE songs. You're pathetic. I'm sure there are those of you who have genuinely tried to listen to them and just don't like them. That's fine. But so many of you idiots jump on the bandwagon, and it's not even fair to them. They have many, many, MANY more fans than the twelve 13 year old girls you say they have. I'm a 16 year old straight male and I love them. They're one of my favorite bands. And this metal side project sounds like a great outlet for Andy's and Joe's metal sides.
    jethro bob
    its the two members of FOB that haven't made a reputation from the band, so maybe they could actually show some talent and make a good record
    smalRaptor
    Because when Fall Out Boy is mentioned you punk kids coming running because it's your guilty pleasure and you hide it by spewing poison from your venomous tongues.
    ThEcOnQuIsTaDoR
    was worried that it would somehow involve the singer and wentz. glad to see that it doesnt. this could be interesting. not a fan of FOB so hopefully that doesnt show up too much in this band.
    Rokeman
    Title was a tad misleading... Should of said "Members of Anthrax, Every Time I Die and Fall Out Boy Announce Metal Side Project". So far, everyone has seen the title, and decided to bash Fall Out Boy... And I think it'll be an interesting mix of influences. Be more open minded, people.
    Vicryl 2.0
    as long as Scott Ian is in it i would give it a try...never really cared for the others but it wont hurt to atleast listen to it though.
    GenerationKILL
    This explains why Fall Out Boy are on an "indefinete Hiatus" the band is trying to get some proper credibility back. Im sure this "side project" will be great if not the least interesting. The quality of the guitar work will at least be good, as for the drummer, i know hes gonna sound sick, just because you train all your life as a solid drummer and end up pulling duties in fall out boy doesn't mean you've lost your skills. As for the "thin lizzy" comments, the band should listen to some of Vancouvers' own "Pride Tiger" They could take some good pointers on how to sound like Thin Lizzy from them!!!
    spghlax15
    Entombed wrote: Sorry, I just lost all my respect for Anthrax.
    I lost it awhile ago.
    bloodandthunder wrote: suggy88 wrote: This will destroy any of those "supergroups" easily. So excited for this grouping. they wont have anything on them crooked vultures
    Will people shut up about them? They're sooo overhyped it was an okay album. I'm going to attacked by fanboys now.
    apak
    I don't think it's gonna be too metal at all. every Time I Die isn't too brutal or anything. Almost like hard rock to be honest. plus he's not gonna scream? that just kills it. Who knows though. The Fall Out Boy dudes might be really into brutal shit.
    Justified Death
    ETID is some lame kind of 'core music, Fall Out Boy is shit, and I've officially lost any respect for Scott Ian's opinion on anything anymore. At first, when he said, "Dude, the Enter Sandman is the coolest song evar!!1!" I disagreed, but said OK, he's still pretty cool, besides the fact that his band got nu-metal going, but now... This 'band'=fail.
    zeroordie6868
    aznrockerdude wrote: StewieSwan wrote: 3 guitarists? No thanks Works for Periphery. Who's playing bass?
    Also seemed to work out for whitechapel and Hawthorne Heights (RIP Casey)
    zeroordie6868
    aznrockerdude wrote: StewieSwan wrote: 3 guitarists? No thanks Works for Periphery. Who's playing bass?
    Also seemed to work out for whitechapel and Hawthorne Heights (RIP Casey) and also, many METAL bands who have dueling guitars or two guitars harmonizing, they have a THIRD guitar recorded (i.e. Metallica, Trivium, Bullet for My Valentine, Slayer, etc.) so a third guitarist would actually be benificial to a live performance. sorry bout the double post
    Sparky-MMA
    gonna have to listen to this. not a fall out boy fan.. not really an anthrax fan but everytime i die are pretty cool. this should be quite intertestin....
    Jondy
    randyaintdead82 wrote: Jondy wrote: Wait what? Can he handle that? I mean, does he even know what double bass is? Well I guess it's not THAT important if Lars didn't think it was, right? you realize that if you look up one of the drummers solos, one of them happens to be a (gasp) MESHUGGAH song
    Impressive. So he CAN handle it then. Well all right.
    Nwright14
    I really hate fallout boy and I have no respect for any of the members. That being said, I will give this a listen and I just might give those two members some respect. I've heard that they are actually pretty decent musicians despite the fact that they're in a bland, generic emo band.