Fans End Metallica Israel Concert Boycott

Israeli fans of Metallica have won their bid for cheaper tickets after staging a boycott of the group's 22 May gig in Tel Aviv, Israel.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

Israeli fans of Metallica have won their bid for cheaper tickets after staging a boycott of the group's 22 May gig in Tel Aviv, Israel.

The man behind the Ramat Gan stadium show - the band's first concert in Israel since 1999 - upset fans when he announced all tickets for the gig would sell for upwards of $159 (106).

And more than 500 Metallica-mad music fans committed to boycott the concert as part of a Facebook.com campaign.

But Tomer Mussman and Rotem Horovitz, who sparked the protest, have now agreed to drop the boycott after coming to an agreement with promoter Marcel Avram.

They write, "After a four-day campaign, tens of news items about us worldwide, over 6,000 supporters and numerous media interviews, we can say that we did it! We won!

"This afternoon, Tomer Mussman met with Mr. Gad Oron, the promoter's representative, and reached an agreement about a significant drop in ticket prices.

"We would like to personally thank Metallica and their management for directly helping us with reaching our goal and reducing the prices. We are officially asking each and every one of you to stop the boycott, and come and enjoy Metallica's concert with us on May 22... We want to thank the producers, Metallica members and management who were willing to talk to us."

Thanks for the report to Contactmusic.com.

146 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Eirien
    Very good news. Big bands like Metallica will have a hard time making money (because that's clearly what it's all about) if they or their management/label treat their fans like idiots.
    Slaytan666
    I may never know why the petty bickering of idiots amuses me. lol. BTW, bands like Metallica get a certain amount of money for every show (usually a standard fee) and then the venue decides what to charge per ticket, to cover the band's price, and make some profit. So, if it costs $50 more per ticket for a show in Montreal than a show in Toronto, it's the venue -NOT the band- ripping you off.
    megano28
    OK you convinced us...from now on metallica tickets will now sell for a lower price of 158.99 euros. /boycott ended
    b_flo
    Metallica are a class act. They treat my buddies (on their crew) great, providing them with uniforms and the amount they ask for on their contracts.
    Teh Skisgaars
    Slaytan666 wrote: I may never know why the petty bickering of idiots amuses me. lol. BTW, bands like Metallica get a certain amount of money for every show (usually a standard fee) and then the venue decides what to charge per ticket, to cover the band's price, and make some profit. So, if it costs $50 more per ticket for a show in Montreal than a show in Toronto, it's the venue -NOT the band- ripping you off.
    EXACTLY, all you idots bad mouthing metallica dont know anything, they dont set the price, their management does and as slaytan said there is the venue cost on top of that
    MrWeenie
    I live in Australia, the cheapest an international band concert ticket will cost is $80 AUD. Thats about $75 USD. Iron Maiden cost $150 for one seated ticket, as did Judas Priest. Bands like Trivium and Machine head are around $90 each for GA. Cry more everyone.
    lefty311
    Eirien wrote: Very good news. Big bands like Metallica will have a hard time making money (because that's clearly what it's all about) if they or their management/label treat their fans like idiots.
    What do you not get about this article? Metallica can't set the ticket prices when someone is promoting their show. The promoter is the one with vested interests and money involved. If anything, Metallica helped get the prices reduced.
    queenslander47
    jetfuel495 wrote: DeathAndMyDecay wrote: What a retard... I saw Metallica a few months ago and I only spent $115 for 2 tickets and the seats were great. Bad mouthing Metallica is old news... These guys don't need the money that you claim they're only in it for... are you that retarded? Well, bud, "only $115" is very subjective. To you, it's "only $115", but for the rest of us, that's a ton of money. That's $57.50 per person. When you're broke, you can't afford to be spending 60 bucks to see a band. Especially for "seats". General admission is where it's at.
    in australia thats super cheap. the cheapest tickets i ever got were about that price. usually its 80 - 120 for international bands. if metallica ever come to australia u can bet ur life it will b a hell of a lot more than 50 bucks a ticket. but i agree with u, general admission is absolutely where its at. **** the seats!
    b_flo
    b_flo wrote: Metallica are a class act. They treat my buddies (on their crew) great, providing them with uniforms and the amount they ask for on their contracts.
    The venues usually get 17% to 20% of ticket sales. Apart from that, they (Metallica) has to pay for code enforcement permits, security, power, motorcade escorts, their crew and local union crew, logistics expenses, per diems. Depending on the agreement, they may also have to pay their support acts. Bands make their money on merch. btw, Metallica's new live DVD is filmed in France. If you notice, they only put out the band's gross income on their tour, not the net amount. Like other major bands out there, Metallica has kept their core crew intact for several years now by paying them retainer salary when they're not touring. It makes Metallica their priority gig. All these big tours can't go on, unless they're sponsored. Local promoters usually set the price if the sponsors aren't totally in charge of it...which makes tix prices vary from place to place.
    edgeyyz
    jimmy-moto wrote: I'm sure this was a very minimal cost for the promoters/band to pay off the two guys who started the protest. So they changed the ticket prices for one show, will our tickets get any cheaper because of this? No. Metallica will continue to gouge everyone on ticket prices because they know people will pay the price. All they care about is the money in our wallets.
    The problem isn't specifically the band though, it's the promoters and management. In all honesty I think many bands would drop prices for their fans if they were given the power to.
    AstheticsOfHate
    Metallica didn't set the ticket prices to begin with, and when the fans contacted them about lowering them, they did so. Why all the hate on Metallica? They clearly did the right thing for the fans and people still rage on them. Secondly, $150 for a show isn't that much. AC/DC were charging $250 for a ticket to one of their shows, and I sure as hell know which one would be better to see. Plus I'd pay my entire life savings just to see Metallica. /fanboy
    Iliekgitaz
    Somebody gets it. Metallica has never sold out because they always change their style to bring in new audiences and to show people they can do more then thrash.. even though the first four albums were thrashy they still had changes in between. Seriously though I'm really tired of people saying they sold out. I think the closest they made to selling out was with this new album to please the "sell out" crowd.. but it still rules and its still something fresh and new at the same time.
    MyUserName777
    I paid around $85 to see them live and it was totally worth it. Would have preferred to have seen Machine Head and The Sword rather than Lamb of God and some other shitty bands but it was still a great concert nonetheless and the seats didn't suck. $159 is a bit ridiculous for a concert but I still think it'd be worth it if you've never seen them live. Maybe not as good as they used to be but still pretty f'ing awesome given how long they've been playing.
    din_blix
    edgeyyz wrote: jimmy-moto wrote: I'm sure this was a very minimal cost for the promoters/band to pay off the two guys who started the protest. So they changed the ticket prices for one show, will our tickets get any cheaper because of this? No. Metallica will continue to gouge everyone on ticket prices because they know people will pay the price. All they care about is the money in our wallets. The problem isn't specifically the band though, it's the promoters and management. In all honesty I think many bands would drop prices for their fans if they were given the power to.
    It costs money to put on a show, its cost a crapload of money to transport the equipment to put on said show to another country, man countries charge duties to "import" all that stuff. The band/manegment and the promoters are not just going to eat those costs, they get past on to the consumer, just like anything else you buy.
    Kwonnie
    Stikit2duhman wrote: when the fans turn against you, you know something's wrong cmon, metallica! be cool again!
    Metallica didn't set those prices...
    sickstring11
    Burgery wrote: Dont you people remember Napster? Saying they "Dont need our money anymore"...
    EXACTLY. Of course they don't need the money, but that doesn't stop them from wanting it. The combined greed of bands like metallica and their record labels are what drive ticket prices through the roof. Take a look at bands like Nine Inch Nails, who have released entire albums for free. Metallica would never dream of that.
    klynch
    glad they won! though i love metallica, 160 bucks for a good ticket is outrageous. i would never play more than 70 bucks and that's only for my favorite bands ie: metallica, nin, and muse
    90sguitarist
    Well i think every country have it's "realistic" price i have bought my tickets to their may 14th concert(I live in Hungary)about 70$ and it's a standig place in the middle.The closest (standing) cost about a double than the middle one.IMO the "fans" of Israel just simply moneygrabbers.oh and they where here in 99 also(Hungary)
    jhart08
    guys, i've heard it from famous musicians in several interviews...the tours are where they make their money cause they dont get it out of albums...so they have to have some sort of control over the cost. Maybe not so much on the actual ticket price, but I'm sure they have a set quotia that they recieve or they aren't playin. So in order to counterset that, the agents at the arenas have to charge X ammount to be able to pay all the fees and turn a profit. So it still comes back to the band and their agent. As for the whole "you guys are judging them for the napster thing," I'm pretty sure South Park already took care of that. Funniest episode EVER!!!
    darkcheef
    When metallica came to DC like a year ago, nose bleed seats were around $105 a seat... What a ripoff.
    Griever39
    To have the luxury of a band coming to your country/town to perform and then complaining about the price is what I don't appreciate. I heard Israel boycotted its tap water because turning the faucet on was too much work.
    Galvatron
    I have some jokes about this story that I am dying to bust out here,but I do not need to get banned again.
    l)ragonForce
    Jack Darkley wrote: And everybody was blaming Metallica for this. Shame on you ignorant fools.
    so what ur saying is it took them this long to say enough is enough on these outrageous prices hah bullshit. From what im hearing there just doing it to earn back a little respect from what they've lost over the years of being money hungry muscians
    Stikit2duhman
    when the fans turn against you, you know something's wrong cmon, metallica! be cool again!
    espChris93
    metallica144 wrote: great! i get so sick of people who use the fame of bands like metallica to make some money! in fact, governments around the world should subsidize the tickets for metallica concerts! everyone deserves to see metallica live, poor or rich, they have been so important for the developement of music
    all that money goes somewhere (and its not straight into metallica's pockets) as this shows you have to pay promoters, advertising, merchandising, tour management, crews, gear, stage props, the stage itself sometimes, and pay the cleanup and matinence crew of the venue itself plus the charge of using the venue not to mention transportation, and everything else that goes into maintaining a huge road crew and lots of gear
    espChris93
    wow this is a music oriented guitar website for god's sake and i would expect people to know what goes into a tour (especially a big budget tour from Metallica) its not like metallica has outrgaeous prices compared to other big acts. No one complains about the price of billy joel or bruce springsteen tickets, and either way those guys get up there and put on energy fueled 3-4 hour shows and wht you're saying is they dont diserve to be paid because they're already wealthy?? i guess you can skip your next few paychecks then right?
    espChris93
    BTW i just gotta say that its absurd to blame metallica in any way at all for this, tickets for broadway shows can go upwards of $200
    PJ=Metal
    EpiExplorer wrote: The butthurt people need to stop whining. So what if the tickets are expensive, I'd care if it was somewhere like Isreal, cuz it hasnt got that high a population compared to a country that could support a Metallica tour. These comments are down to two sides: The butthurters, who dont like metallica because they think like animals and dont think properly.. and theres the people who are a bit more clear minded and understand the circumstances involved. And of course, theres the n00bs, the trolls, megadeth fans, Lars Haters, the rest of that rabble.. etc. mixed in with it all.
    Whats wrong with being a megadeth fan? I'm one but i still love metallica or are u talken about the "megadeth vs metallica" fans
    Wiegraf
    [quote]jetfuel495 wrote: Hey, bud, I saw Megadeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Job for a Cowboy, and High on Fire for 45 bucks. [/b] I am so jealous. That's ****ing awesome. What a great show that must've been.
    RockInPeaceDime
    jimmy-moto wrote: I'm sure this was a very minimal cost for the promoters/band to pay off the two guys who started the protest. So they changed the ticket prices for one show, will our tickets get any cheaper because of this? No. Metallica will continue to gouge everyone on ticket prices because they know people will pay the price. All they care about is the money in our wallets.
    Then don't pay. Simply supply and demand. High demand/lower supply = increased prices. Putting on a worldwide tour isn't cheap, don't act like it is. And I don't care for Metallica much so don't give the BS "fanboy" crap.
    askikr91
    @jimmy-moto 22 years of a very successful career and you think they are in it purely for the money? Have you ever played a gig? I will continue to do that for free for the rest of my life; however, touring is a whole other story. That shit is expensive, and something has to pay for it, hence the ticket prices. Especially for a band that puts at least a million just into the tour buses, private jets, limos, etc. I think it's nice to see such a big band come to terms with at least one group of fans instead of shrugging off every single problem that comes their way form the fans. Kudos to Metallica, and this doesn't show that they will continue to "rape" money from your wallet. This is a prime example of a major band giving back to the fans.
    lutfish
    hamsteroceros wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: Well, bud, "only $115" is very subjective. To you, it's "only $115", but for the rest of us, that's a ton of money. That's $57.50 per person. When you're broke, you can't afford to be spending 60 bucks to see a band. Especially for "seats". General admission is where it's at. It seems ridiculous to expect to pay less than that to see one of the biggest bands ever at this point in their careers- and I'm really not that huge a fan.
    So just because they CAN charge that much money for a ticket, they should? As far as I can see Metallica doesn't give the slightest shit about their fans. They're struck with hubris and know they what they can charge.
    MonsterOfRock
    What a bunch of illiterate idiots we have in this website. Ya know theres a goddamn article between the title and the comments section? And comments about napster, STILL? That was back in '99, before you kids were born! Seriously man, grow the **** up already. And if anyone have even a remote idea of concert ticket prices in their cities, they'd know that 'tallica don't charge any more than others. Exclusiveness has things to do with it. In major European cities, their tix are about half the price of what we'd have to pay in Sydney, because 'tallica plays Europe all the time, and hasn't been to Australia in 7 years. So its a vague arguement. And an internationally touring band doesn't have the time to sit down and calculate the currency rates and what to charge, and thats not even how the giging business work. Band doesn't tell the venue how much they need to charge, Venue tells the band how much they gonna pay them. The logistics are hence worked out, and you pay for that price, which includes the hourly rate for the guy whos gonna clean up ur puke when u leave. If you dunno the facts, ask someone. Don't just talk bullshit.
    lutfish
    Well it's partially metallicas fault, since they haven't done anything to stop this. If they would have demanded that the ticket should be cheaper, the event-presenting group would have been forced to lower the prices. So either they're too lazy to care, or they want the extra money. Either way metallica's not innocent.
    pinata89
    [quote/]What a retard... I saw Metallica a few months ago and I only spent $115 for 2 tickets and the seats were great. Bad mouthing Metallica is old news... These guys don't need the money that you claim they're only in it for... are you that retarded? [/quote] Umm, then why would they throw such a big ass fit about Napster and that whole deal? They obviously didn't feel they were getting adequate pay for their material, so I'm pretty sure that means they are kind of in it for the money.
    hamsteroceros
    jetfuel495 wrote: Well, bud, "only $115" is very subjective. To you, it's "only $115", but for the rest of us, that's a ton of money. That's $57.50 per person. When you're broke, you can't afford to be spending 60 bucks to see a band. Especially for "seats". General admission is where it's at.
    It seems ridiculous to expect to pay less than that to see one of the biggest bands ever at this point in their careers- and I'm really not that huge a fan. Honestly, though- what do you expect a show played in a country that hasn't had a Metallica show in over ten years to cost (especially one put together as a one-off by a single promoter who likely schemed and paid out of his ass to get rights to the thing?)
    Local666Union
    pinata89 wrote: [quote/]What a retard... I saw Metallica a few months ago and I only spent $115 for 2 tickets and the seats were great. Bad mouthing Metallica is old news... These guys don't need the money that you claim they're only in it for... are you that retarded?
    Umm, then why would they throw such a big ass fit about Napster and that whole deal? They obviously didn't feel they were getting adequate pay for their material, so I'm pretty sure that means they are kind of in it for the money.[/quote] well, did you think they got pissed off at napster for pirating their music? I dont really like metallica but this is getting ridiculous as for the article...I'm from Israel and the prices were extremely high, even for a metallica gig you had to pay 1200NIS which is around 225 euro to see metallica on the stage
    stueey
    xicetraex wrote: What *****s. Metallica needs that money to buy cool stuff like gold jetskis and new calf muscles.
    I lol'd.
    Hobo279
    xicetraex wrote: What *****s. Metallica needs that money to buy cool stuff like gold jetskis and new calf muscles.
    lol!
    kunkushin
    "We would like to personally thank Metallica and their management for directly helping us with reaching our goal and reducing the prices." - i may be a pessimist, but this translates to "Metallica finally agreed to play the show for a realistic price."
    yasman88
    rednightmare wrote: Title makes it sound like Metallica were boycotting the state of Israel LOL
    LOL i would love them even more if that were true
    DeathAndMyDecay
    Local666Union wrote: pinata89 wrote: [quote/]What a retard... I saw Metallica a few months ago and I only spent $115 for 2 tickets and the seats were great. Bad mouthing Metallica is old news... These guys don't need the money that you claim they're only in it for... are you that retarded? Umm, then why would they throw such a big ass fit about Napster and that whole deal? They obviously didn't feel they were getting adequate pay for their material, so I'm pretty sure that means they are kind of in it for the money.
    well, did you think they got pissed off at napster for pirating their music? I dont really like metallica but this is getting ridiculous as for the article...I'm from Israel and the prices were extremely high, even for a metallica gig you had to pay 1200NIS which is around 225 euro to see metallica on the stage[/quote Napster is what started the downfall of music. A musician trying to make a living can't make a living if his product is being stolen.. Because of Metallica,music hasn't gone completely in the shithole... I'm a musician and it's hard for me to make a living because of downloading..