Foo Fighters Blast John McCain For Using Their Song

In a story that sounds all too familiar, John McCain has once again angered a group of musicians for his unauthorized use of their music.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

In a story that sounds all too familiar, John McCain has once again angered a group of musicians for his unauthorized use of their music. This time, it's the Foo Fighters.

The band revealed in a statement how upset they are that John McCain has been using their 1997 hit "My Hero" as his current campaign theme song.

The band writes, "This isn't the first time the McCain campaign has used a song without making any attempt to get approval or permission from the artist. It's frustrating and infuriating that someone who claims to speak for the American people would repeatedly show such little respect for creativity and intellectual property."

They also add, "The saddest thing about this is that 'My Hero' was written as a celebration of the common man and his extraordinary potential. To have it appropriated without our knowledge and used in a manner that perverts the original sentiment of the lyric just tarnishes the song. We hope that the McCain campaign will do the right thing and stop using our song and start asking artists' permission in general."

This isn't the first time Republican Presidential Candidate John McCain has found himself in trouble for unauthorized use of music. McCain has also angered bands Van Halen and Heart for his use of their songs "Right Now" and "Barracuda", respectively.

The Foo Fighters made headlines in 2004 for their support of Democratic Presidential Candidate John Kerry. The title of their 2005 record, In Your Honor, was reportedly inspired by the experience. The band's website currently features a note urging people to vote in the coming election in November.

The band is currently taking a "long break" from touring and recording music and hope to return eventually with a new sense of being.

Report by David Lowe-Bianco.

366 comments sorted by best / new / date

    DimeSatch
    H_ngm_n wrote: Probably the most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my entire life.
    If this is the most ignorant thing you have ever heard then you must be pretty damn ignorant. All you liberals do is bitch.
    Skittles135
    H_ngm_n wrote: Randy Bobandy wrote: He's mad at McCain for useing his music, yet not mad at Obama for supporting terrorists, racist churches and welfare programs for deadbeats.. These musicians should just shut the **** up and stay out of politics. No this is the most ignorant thing I've ever heard in my life. Final answer.
    How do you figure Obama supports terrorists, racist churches, and welfare for deadbeats? You are clearly uneducated and ignorant, and obviously take everything that you're spoonfed from the stupid ad campaigns and email attacks. I sure hope you're not voting.
    Coldiscool
    dan1985smith wrote: Eddie's'Waitor wrote: McCain is a twat Gotta love all the intelectual liberals rolling through here.
    Ignorance, your picking the worst example of a liberal and stereotyping to all liberals. both democrats and republicans have pros and cons, hence why we need both to keep each other in check. Anyway back to THE REAL TOPIC I fell that the Foo Fighters can express that they are disatisfied in that there song is being used to support a presidentional candidate without permission. They obviously wrote the song with different meaning, about how everyday people can be special and heroic, mccain is not the common man, with him being a huge famous presidentional candidate.
    clincher09
    Musicians who are liberals against republicans? Who would have guessed?!?!?!?!
    scimitar_255
    The one thing that gets on my nerves is that here, in the UK, our news broadcasters have nothing better to do than report on the US candidates. I'm sure they're getting more publicity here than our last election!
    Same here. I live in Canada, and we have an election going on right NOW, and the us one is getting more coverage. And the worst part is: there're newspaper articles about this. it's stupid.
    GunsnRoses5150
    DimeSatch wrote: All you liberals do is bitch.
    and all you conservatives do is bitch about liberals
    Seidenschnur
    If only Dave knew that I sodomize goats with 'My Hero' blaring in the background. Seriously, why would McCain even use 'Barracuda'? Does that have anything to do with him? Lame shit, so excuse me while I contemplate railin' Palin!
    thereverendsoup
    Braaterz wrote: thereverendsoup wrote: Braaterz wrote: thereverendsoup wrote: There's no such thing as a good band with Republicans in it." Umm...How bout the Ramones? Ted Nugent? Kiss? Stevie Ray Vaughan? his brother Jimmie? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make outrageous claims It's kinda like blaming Bush for 9/11 and the economic issues...I mean he probably sent his distant cousins from Afghanistan to fly those planes into the world trade centers to force us to spend a lot of money on a war effort...Heck Bush probably told all those banks to give loans to all those people who couldn't afford them too right? Democratic logic is amazing... All those bands are horrible. My statement stands. Once again my statement stands..Democratic logic is horrible...
    Too bad I'm not a Democrat, huh? The Ramones are punk at its most watered down. Ted Nugent is just white trash. Kiss is just awful on every conceivable level. Stevie Ray Vaughan and his brother are blues taken to its wankiest extreme. Weak. All of it. Really, I'm not going to say Bush was responsible for the economic downturn. He's not. The whole thing has been brewing since the Clinton administration, and no one could've seen it coming until it was too late, anyway. Also, I think the entire "9/11 truth" thing is incredibly full of crap. I don't think the Republicans are evil. I think they're inept. The past 8 years has been a string of half-baked quick fixes for serious problems being pushed through with no one actually thinking about long term consequences or oversight. I don't honestly feel Barack Obama's going to do any better, and therefore, I don't support him (he's gone along with Bush on a lot of his worst ideas, including the Patriot Act and the FISA amendments, which really don't seem to be that far removed from the sort of paranoia that forced Nixon to resign). But I do think pretty much everyone paying attention has noticed the shit hitting the fan for the past 8 years, and I think anyone paying attention understands that John McCain hasn't really been the "maverick" he likes to think he is.
    pucci6d6
    Matt_1213 wrote: Useful_Idiot16 wrote: Tulkas wrote: COBHC666 wrote: People are so f-ing stupid. Is it not obvious that mccain is an idiot?? is it not obvious he chose palin as his running mate solely because she has a snatch??! Americans are so ****ing stupid and pea-brained now, it makes me ashamed to be born here. Then leave. Or if Obama is elected just stick around. His economic plan is to boost sales of Rosetta Stone when everybody has to learn Arabic. First, the Foo foos need to put on their big boy pants and get over it. Come on.... seriously. What has McCain done that was so stupid? Obama picked a guy that is a documented liar and plagiarizer for his running mate. He has said change a billion times, and never discussed what he would change. He's going to give 95% of Americans tax breaks..... but wait....40% of Americans don't even pay taxes. His economic policy like Clinton's and Carter's before him is piss poor and only useful for raising inflation. His health care proposal is no longer possible since the buy out. Which he voted for, and has now bashed. Can you give one good reason, to vote for Obama, other than the media has told you to hate George Bush, and you ignorantly believe Obama when he attempts to tie McCain to Bush. What one thing is he going to do that will benefit the country? Everyone read that and stop crying. Seconded. Every Democrat government has made a mess of things, but the next generation just keeps going back because they're 'new' and 'fresh' and its 'a change'. And so history repeats itself...again.
    Yes, FDR made a mess of things. He was such a horrible president, I can't believe that he pulled America out of a Depression that a republican. Now I think that both Obama and McCain will lead the country the same, and neither of them will lead it any good. Everyone stop whining and using up comment space that's originally supposed to be about the Foo Fighters. George Washington was right, political parties don't help anything at all. Everyone just vote for who you agree with and whoever gets elected, gets elected. There's nothing you can do about it, except vote for the person you want. So stop trying to change everyone's opinions, because it's easier convincing a Opeth fan to go to a Fall Out Boy concert than to change someone's political opinions. I come to UG not to hear about politics, if I wanted my opinion changed I would watch the commercials, not listen to someone on the internet. Take it to the Politics thread if you insist on talking about it. Not the comment section of a Music article.
    Braaterz
    I'll tell ya what if we leave things unsettled in Iraq a failing economy will be the least of our worries...
    highwind5150
    Can we all agree that there really isn't a politician who hasn't lied at some point or another?? We're going to get one or the other. Obama or McCain. I like McCain he's fought for this country and I can't talk crap on him for that cuz I haven't done that, but I prefer Obama. That's just me.
    Braaterz
    thereverendsoup wrote: Braaterz wrote: thereverendsoup wrote: There's no such thing as a good band with Republicans in it." Umm...How bout the Ramones? Ted Nugent? Kiss? Stevie Ray Vaughan? his brother Jimmie? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make outrageous claims It's kinda like blaming Bush for 9/11 and the economic issues...I mean he probably sent his distant cousins from Afghanistan to fly those planes into the world trade centers to force us to spend a lot of money on a war effort...Heck Bush probably told all those banks to give loans to all those people who couldn't afford them too right? Democratic logic is amazing... All those bands are horrible. My statement stands.
    Once again my statement stands..Democratic logic is horrible...
    Exxol
    crue29_2008 wrote: But on the Foo's part, its a bit harsh to say he's tarnishing the song. As a person (not necessarily as a politician) McCain is an extraordinary person. How can anyone deny that?
    im not argueing that he didnt go through hell.. but the fact is, they didnt write the song with an election in mind.. and using it as a theme is kinda like stating that the song is representative of yourself. in fact, i'd be downright pissed the **** off if some dickwad thought he could use my song in his campaign without permission... especially if i don't support his political views
    thereverendsoup
    Braaterz wrote: thereverendsoup wrote: There's no such thing as a good band with Republicans in it." Umm...How bout the Ramones? Ted Nugent? Kiss? Stevie Ray Vaughan? his brother Jimmie? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make outrageous claims It's kinda like blaming Bush for 9/11 and the economic issues...I mean he probably sent his distant cousins from Afghanistan to fly those planes into the world trade centers to force us to spend a lot of money on a war effort...Heck Bush probably told all those banks to give loans to all those people who couldn't afford them too right? Democratic logic is amazing...
    All those bands are horrible. My statement stands.
    nothingman34
    Yes, there is no question that John McCain is very brave for his experience in the war, but that doesn't qualify him as a good candidate for president. Look at the political experience from both sides.. Obama is MUCH more educated than McCain, and Biden is obviously a better candidate for VP than the bimbo "hockey mom" Sarah Palin. Conservatives should pull the cocks out of their mouths..
    Braaterz
    thereverendsoup wrote: There's no such thing as a good band with Republicans in it."
    Umm...How bout the Ramones? Ted Nugent? Kiss? Stevie Ray Vaughan? his brother Jimmie? Maybe you should know what you're talking about before you make outrageous claims It's kinda like blaming Bush for 9/11 and the economic issues...I mean he probably sent his distant cousins from Afghanistan to fly those planes into the world trade centers to force us to spend a lot of money on a war effort...Heck Bush probably told all those banks to give loans to all those people who couldn't afford them too right? Democratic logic is amazing...
    darkfire_storm
    davedoom wrote: He should just use music by Christian artists since the Republicans are such inverted god-fearing hill people.
    wow, new most ignorant post here, i think. congratulations, i think you may have just brought the entire country down a peg. this is the folly of party politics. we end up turning people of the same nation against themselves. isn't it bad enough we have a war with another country? during every election we end up fighting an internal struggle to determine our next leaders. wouldn't that negative energy from party to party be better directed at doing something positive instead of partaking in useless bickering? as for the article, i can see why Grohl would be upset that they didn't seek permission first. McCain using the FF's song implies to the everyday person that the Foos must support McCain, or else why would they allow him to use their music? at the same time, he might've taken it a bit far, i doubt anyone but him sees the song as "tarnished".
    <Paper Cuts>
    I hate politics. I love the Foo Fighters. This shouldn't mix at all. I don't understand why music is so important in this election anyway, it's all about the economy. Elect the dead. Serj is perfect.
    RockUAway
    Oh, and how many times does it have to be posted that McCain PURCHASED LICENSES to use the songs. The same goes for heart and every other artist. If they don't want people to use their songs, then they can just take them out of the list. They won't be missed. Hell, they've got 8 million more to take their place. I bet grohl and his drummer, and metallica are all butt buddies. Kurt shot himself to get away from that moron I bet.
    GoWithTheFlow
    crue29_2008 wrote: I try to avoid politics, because for the record I think they all kinda suck. But in the defense of McCain, how is he not a common man doing extraordinary things? As someone who's best friend is in the military, I have a new respect for anybody who serves in the military. The shit McCain went through certainly qualifies him as an extraordinary person. He was a POW for years, and was tortured and shit. When he was given the chance for release because of his family connections before the rest of his POW companions, he chose to stay and wait for an honorable release. Thats ****in Honor right there, I don't care who you are. Thats not the point, he shouldn't be using music for his campaign that I'm sure he doesn't understand first of all, second that he didn't ask permission. But on the Foo's part, its a bit harsh to say he's tarnishing the song. As a person (not necessarily as a politician) McCain is an extraordinary person. How can anyone deny that?
    hes got some honour and guts. but i dont want an old tortured army vet running the u.s. if you think about it if you said i was put in a cage for a couple years in your resume i dont think that will help you get the job.
    badass4hire
    This doesn't have anything to do with politics. He just didn't ask b4 using the song. i think some people think too much. better dead than red lol
    sprkidjar
    xXChimairaXx wrote: Hmmm. According to Webster's... Liberal = a person who thinks they know everything and has been brainwashed by a biased mainstream media and used as a tool to support a inexperienced, smooth-talking, celebrity/noob/politician and make him the next president of the United States. Does that fit your defintion of a liberal?
    if you're gonna use stupid generalizations like that, you can also say that the definition of a conservative is a thickheaded person who was brainwashed by their uptight redneck parents who refuse to acknowledge anything other than what they believe
    sprkidjar
    Black Hole Sun wrote: Also, typical conversation here is: Liberal: McCain sucks, Obama rules. Conservative: You're a tool. You haven't given any reasons. Obama sucks, McCain rules.
    thats true. the conservatives in this conversation havent given any reason as to why obama is supposedly bad and mcccain is good, and instead their only argument is that the liberals havent given any reasons.
    Striketalonx
    In response to Useful idiot: I believe that McCain will lead America down a slippery slope of lost national respect. When we can't finish a goal (capturing Osama Bin Ladan) and we waste away $10 billion a month in a war that we finished ("Mission Accomplished" May 1, 2003) and we piss at long time allies, the French, who helped us found this wonderful country of ours. Some people say that Obama is soft on terrorists, but who wants to focus all our troops in the hunt for Bin Laden? (Here's a hint: its not McCain) McCain's budget will continue the voodoo economics of Bush and the republican party, cutting taxes for the ultra-rich (which is why the republicans are known as the wealthy party, since many of the ultra-wealthy business men who shovel all their money into offshore banks so they can dig through loop-holes and avoid being taxed what they deserve to be taxed to keep this wonderful country running the way it is supposed to are republicans) and digging the whole for the middle class even deeper by taxing health care benefits and trying to cover it up by giving a "tax refund" of $5000 and saying that'll take care of your health plan. Off of NCHC.org: In 2007, employer health insurance premiums increased by 6.1 percent - two times the rate of inflation. The annual premium for an employer health plan covering a family of four averaged nearly $12,100. Explain how $5000 can cover a $12,100 bill (and thats only the average) when you add taxing that health care, and rising prices (and on top of that, deregulating the insurance companies, by allowing them to choose a state with the least amount of restrictions raping the average joe across state-lines) Barack Obama's goal is to raise the taxation on the ultra-rich to where it was during Clinton's term (reminder: we had a surplus back then) and to close the loop-holes that are wearing down "Joe Six-pack" by stealing money from America. Now you claim Barack Obama is affiliated with Terrorists, or he is Muslim. Here's news for you: Barack was on the same board of advisers as Mr Ayers, but Mr Ayers is now a professor in Chicago, and the Weatherman was a radical group in 60's.. a time when Obama was 8 years old. Now if a guy who, in a time of extreme anti-war protests (which happen to be when you are under 10 years old), cleans up, and makes something of himself in a normal fashion, is on the PTA with you some years later does that make you a terrorist sympathizer? No. I will admit, many of the liberal posts here weren't too hot, but the conservatives simply can't tell a good thing from a bad. Case in point? Useful Idiot: Car bras are hideous. ;D
    dfresh91
    wow that shows how careless mccain is about using other peoples songs, first, barracuda from heart, now my hero. he doesnt respect artists enough because heis a cocky and entilted person and believes he is entitled to everything because he is a big politician and brainwashed all the mindless republicans
    xXChimairaXx
    Gordita Supreme wrote: devilshalo122 wrote: liberals Shut up. You don't even know what the word liberal means.
    Hmmm. According to Webster's... Liberal = a person who thinks they know everything and has been brainwashed by a biased mainstream media and used as a tool to support a inexperienced, smooth-talking, celebrity/noob/politician and make him the next president of the United States. Does that fit your defintion of a liberal?
    hooli94
    Nerdo-sez-bo wrote: ready2breakdown wrote: I couldn't even imagine how he could have used a hard rock song in a campaign ad any way... Frank Sinatra is who I think of when I think of John McCain. When I think of John McCain, I think of alzheimers and care homes.
    haha that's funny!
    RockUAway
    McCain 08'! Oh, and Foo Fighters need to get their money hungry heads out of their shit hungry asses. There, topic discussed.
    nodice182
    i_am_metalhead wrote: With all due respect to Dave Grohl, STFU! ... John McCain is still a normal civilian just like the rest of us. What makes his use of the music any different from our use of it!?
    Are you serious? If you've ever read the copyright warning at the start of a DVD you'll know that even though you may have purchased the movie, you only have the right to view it in a private arena. No schools, oil rigs, prisons, etc. Permission from the artist should be recieved before using their songs in a public arena. ESPECIALLY in a situation in which a politician is using their material to further their political ambitions. Sigh.
    Trabo
    Screw mccain, and especially, screw sarah palin. Dont be so whipped, we all know mccain and palin are the worst combination ever. 2 maveriks who suck at there jobs. Seriously, I doubt Grohl cares if you loose repespecet just because you cant respect there opinions. It is THERE music and when its being used for an advertisement, THEY have the right to choose if they want it or not. Mccain and has bitch vp are WRONG. Ron paul 08 R.I.P
    blaqk_fiend
    i agree with dave grohl in this particular sitution. especially after him explaining what the song is about. Mcain should be using freeaking dinosaur music hes so old
    meh!
    I honestly can't be arsed going through the comments any more but STOP DISCUSSING POLITICS. This is an article about foo Fighters and Mcain's use of their song. If you insist on discussing who you think should be american president, you will simply be warned. *kind of checked*
    rebreh
    Look they sell this song. That means if you buy it then you can play it. I mean if i made a song i would not go and tell people who can play it or not. And not all republicans are not god fearing. In fact Obama is more religous than McCain which is rare because usually it is the other way around.
    AudioMetaRage
    I don't get americans, almost every republican has caused a decifit in the national treasury and you keep voting for them? Even the living standards which decreased while republicans were in power. Thank god, your liberals policy is considered conservative in my country... Happiest Country in the world btw.
    Tulkas
    The_Authentic_1 wrote: To me it comes down to the fact that McCain is far too old to be president and they hide his medical records and to be honest the guy is a bit of an old coot. He would more then likely pass away sometime during his term and hey at least I'm a realist and the last person I want running the country is the ditzy moronic Palin. As for the Foo Fighters and the whole song debacle, its their song they can do what they please with it. If they don't want it tied to McCain then they should have the right to make them stop using it. Copyright laws are in place for a reason are you telling me its ok for McCain to publically break the law? If someone was using my material in a national spotlight under contexts in which I don't agree with I'd be just as upset.
    That's one of the most ignorant methods of voting for president I have ever heard. Also, get your facts straight, virtually all songs that can be played over radio, can be played publicly at venues so long as the party playing them has obtained an FCC license to do so. Ignorance such as that and the ignorance of thinking voting McCain is voting for 4 more years of Bush will end up getting Obama elected. Ignorance mind you, not the critical thought, logical deduction, and discussion of issues and solutions to the country's problems. http://tinyurl.com/truthblog
    Wesseem
    They don't care about the song being used. they care about who's using the song. Clearly they support the democrats and the fact that McCain, a republican, used it just pissed them off. It didn't help that McCain did not ask permission either. Anyways when i think of mccain i just picture him attempting to smile to the crowd as he rapidly blinks. Either he's retarded and can't smile without looking stupid, or it's a very insincere smile.
    Aerotides
    theotherguy7145 wrote: lockedandlogan wrote: I'd just be pumped that McCain was diggin' my music. Everyone talks about how old he is but he's still rockin' the Foo Fighters. This certainly makes him a symbol of hope for the often disrespected older generation. But in all seriousness I'd be annoyed too. If he respected the musicians then he'd recognize what the song was about, and ask their permission first. Its wrong
    You guys actually think McCain picked this song? Do you think he sits there and writes all of his attack ads and stuff? Obviously he doesn't. The guy doesn't know how to use a damn computer, he's not out there downloading music on the internets.
    Holy Katana
    Randy Bobandy wrote: It's funny to see all of the 15 year lefty Obama turds try to dis McCain on useing some mainstream band's music. Who cares? Almost all commercial bands ***** their music out to the media anyway. Democrats need to be rounded up into camps, everytime i see some liberal bullshit on T.V. or radio spreading propaganda bullshit, i just want to rape and murder about 30 of 'em and send there bodies to Ted Nugent as a thank you gift...
    You know, Hitler also sent leftists into concentration camps.
    MegaRon
    First Heart, now the Foo Fighters. You know, with Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel, this is going to be one hell of a fundraiser should it ever happen.
    Aerotides
    GimmeFuel wrote: I could easily bet good money that it's the McCain CAMPAIGN and not John McCain himself who picks the songs he plays. I love the Foos but this disappointing. If I was a famous musician, I'd feel honored that a presidential candidate used my song at a rally or wherever. Unless the person who was running was a total disgrace, of course. It's weird how people say Republicans are the "rich party" yet almost every celebrity, media outlet and musician are liberal.
    Musicians who have causes to write about and people who believe in that cause, can become rich and famous.